Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
If Dave Franco isn't young Han Solo, I'm going to kill myself.

Or I'll just whine about it on the Internet. Then they'll be sorry. They'll all be sorry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I hope Adam driver with a pedostache is young Han, it fits in and is bound to piss off everyone while being hilarious.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Honestly, things were a lot more clear cut in the original trilogy between the rebels and Empire. Empire was in charge and evil, rebels were good and fighting against them. It's a little stranger in this because it feels like we missed out on something. So the remnents of the Empire became something else and they feel like they should still be in power. The Republic is in charge and use the Resistance to fight the First Order. The thing I took from that was that the First Order was like a terrorist group and the Resistance was almost a Special Forces group that got financial backing from the Republic. I can only assume they weren't their main army.

My question going forward is that now that the Republic has been blown up, do it's allies become independent? Does it go on from a different base? I guess we'll see.

Shard fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 13, 2016

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Beeez posted:

The weird thing is how Hux thinks it's some betrayal on the Republic's part that they support the Resistance in secret. If the First Order is building up military power and attacking planets and systems that are part of the Republic, why would they expect the Republic to hold to the treaty they signed with the remnants of the Empire? I'm sure the treaty specified "there will be peace so long as you guys don't start making Star Destroyers and Death Stars and using them to attack people."
Hux's attitude is unfortunately not that far-fetched. See, e.g., North Korea.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
TFA is unlikely to beat Avatar worldwide. Look at all these shameful countries that hate Star Wars:

It might beat Titanic though so at least Cameron doesn't get two consecutive movies in the Top 3.

For adjusted domestic it has moved to #12 which puts it above ESB.

Ep2 is at #78 and Ep3 is at #59.

Also the home video release is going to have deleted scenes, JJ said compared to the theatrical running time of 2h19m, the initial cut was 2h50m or so. The deleted scenes will be just that, served on the side, there will be no "extended" edition.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'd be much more interested in tickets sold than adjusted box office.

Actually, what I really want is an infographic that compares all the various forms of entertainment available during each era, alongside human population growth and global media reach to create a comprehensive graph of all major pop culture items's influence. Because anything else is just a small piece of the picture. But hey, numbers are fun!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Spikeguy posted:

No I'm sorry. He's seen the prequels already. He just wanted to watch them again. Like saying when he got home from the theater. Then we hung out at my house for a bit and I put on the RLM review and by the time he left, he said he couldn't watch the prequels anymore but wanted to watch the rest of the reviews.

Ohhhhh that makes more sense.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

feedmyleg posted:

I'd be much more interested in tickets sold than adjusted box office.

Actually, what I really want is an infographic that compares all the various forms of entertainment available during each era, alongside human population growth and global media reach to create a comprehensive graph of all major pop culture items's influence. Because anything else is just a small piece of the picture. But hey, numbers are fun!

Here's one that estimates the number of tickets sold and then lists box office with respect to ticket price changes: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm?adjust_yr=1&p=.htm
The problem is it counts re-releases so you'll have to wait 10 years for the TFA re-release for it to really make sense.

As for the rest of your nonsense, no. :colbert:

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 13, 2016

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I still don't understand how Titanic made so much money.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Noam Chomsky posted:

I still don't understand how Titanic made so much money.

It was in theaters for 10 months, and then per Wikipedia:

quote:

A 3D version of Titanic, released on April 4, 2012 to commemorate the centennial of the sinking, earned it an additional $343.6 million worldwide, pushing the film's worldwide total to $2.18 billion.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

Ah, that's right. Thanks!

Beeez
May 28, 2012

computer parts posted:

What? Why was it in theaters in for ten months?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Kept making money, I presume.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Beeez posted:

What? Why was it in theaters in for ten months?

It would not stop selling out. The movie was released on December 19th. Its highest grossing day was Valentine's Day.

The movie was number one overall for almost 4 straight months.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

piratepilates posted:

I hope Adam driver with a pedostache is young Han, it fits in and is bound to piss off everyone while being hilarious.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Jake Lloyd as young Han Solo.

Make it happen, Disney. You'll go down in trolling history. This is your chance to be heroes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jake Lloyd has schizophrenia and every news article about it makes star wars jokes.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Jake Lloyd got himself arrested summer last year and is still awaiting trial.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Titanic would have been a major success regardless, but DiCaprio was the X factor that caused people to see the movie 4 and 5 times. Prepubescent girls were nagging their parents to take them, teenage girls were seeing it with their girlfriends and then going back a second time with their boyfriends. Then very quickly it was such a phenomenon that adults started to go because they were wondering what all the fuss was about.

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

I think Shmi is something that got lost in the prequel restructuring.

What I mean by this is that Episode 1 was not as well liked as Lucas thought it would be. "Jar Jar is the key to all this." Jar Jar became despised almost immediately.
So, in Episode 2, Jar Jar's role is greatly reduced to that of a supporting character who plays into the hands of the bad guys. I remember some media at the time saying Lucas "listened" to the criticism of Episode 1 and adjusted 2 accordingly. (I think The Phantom Menace is actually much better than Attack of the Clones.) I think this is where all the fanservice comes in - stormtroopers, a Boba Fett backstory, focus on the Clone Wars because it was mentioned in A New Hope, Yoda using a lightsaber, etc.

Episode 1 actually set up two plots that seemed like they should be main plot threads for Episode 2: Anakin rescuing his mom and freeing all the slaves, and the Jedi actually investigating what happened with Darth Maul. "I had a dream I was a Jedi, and I freed all of the slaves." "I will come back and free you mom, I promise." "This is the clue we need to unravel the mystery of the Sith." "We will devote all our resources to discovering the identity of your attacker." (paraphrase) Not to mention Darth Maul and the title of Episode 3 suggesting that they're after revenge for something, which we never find out about.

Episode 2 seems, in modern terminology, almost like a dark and gritty reboot of Episode 1. It's like watching Sam Raimi Spider-Man 1 and then watching Amazing Spider-Man 2. It technically works but seems a little disjointed.
It upscales the Trade Federation into an entire Separatist movement, changes Padme from a fighter to an anti-war type, and drops the two threads from Episode 1, because it is set 10 years later. Presumably there was some kind of update on Shmi's slave status and the Sith investigation in that time, but nothing came of it or we just don't get to see it.
If Episode 1 is still "true" then Anakin blatantly broke his promise to his mom. You would think that this is his actual point of contention with the Jedi, not a vague sense of Obi Wan "holding me back." If it really was the Jedi (or Padme) stopping Anakin from freeing his mom and slaves in general, shouldn't that be the focus of his anger? He doesn't really mention it, so you get the impression that it's Anakin's fault and he just forgot about it. So either the supporting cast is despicable, the main character is despicable, or both, or there's some disconnect between Episodes 1 and 2 where 1 didn't really "count."

If that is the case, I really want to see Lucas's original ideas for Episode 2. I think he was going to delve into the backstory of the Sith, but got spooked and instead went with the safe(r) route of showing the Clone Wars. The Jedi have no capability to solve mysteries and are completely blind, so that Episode 3 can happen. Notice that in 3, however, they can immediately sense "a plot to destroy the Jedi" with some urgency again. Anakin also becomes a good person again just in time to fall. Midichlorians are brought back up. 3 is a more direct sequel to 1 than 2 is.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

computer parts posted:

It would not stop selling out. The movie was released on December 19th. Its highest grossing day was Valentine's Day.

I knew it was a big deal, but I guess I didn't realize just how big of a deal it was.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

Titanic would have been a major success regardless, but DiCaprio was the X factor that caused people to see the movie 4 and 5 times. Prepubescent girls were nagging their parents to take them, teenage girls were seeing it with their girlfriends and then going back a second time with their boyfriends. Then very quickly it was such a phenomenon that adults started to go because they were wondering what all the fuss was about.

I bet at least a few people who saw it weren't sure how it was gonna end.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Beeez posted:

I knew it was a big deal, but I guess I didn't realize just how big of a deal it was.

It was definitely on the same level as a Jaws or Star Wars or any other blockbuster you can name. Completely changed Celine Dion's career too.

DiCaprio went from the pretty boy who young girls like, to the most bankable movie star in the world instantly. Didn't seem to do much for Billy Zane though...

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

turtlecrunch posted:

Jake Lloyd got himself arrested summer last year and is still awaiting trial.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_Lloyd

quote:

After portraying Anakin in a chain of related video games, Lloyd retired from acting in 2001, citing bullying on the part of classmates and the stress of doing up to 60 interviews a day as his reasons for doing so. He stated in a 2012 interview that being in The Phantom Menace ruined his childhood and his acting career, and that he destroyed all of his Star Wars memorabilia out of anger toward the film.

:smithmouth:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I always assumed SMG would turn out to be Jake Lloyd

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The one person in the world who can accurately claim that George Lucas ruined his childhood.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Jack Gladney posted:

The one person in the world who can accurately claim that George Lucas ruined his childhood.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2110383/Anakin-Skywalker-actor-Jake-Lloyd-Star-Wars-fame-turned-life-living-hell.html

quote:

Jake, whose mother is an entertainment agent, admitted in an interview Scifitv.com that he doesn't like wacthing the film anymore and he blames George for that.

He said: 'When you have something like that there's a lot of expectations for it to meet the standards of the public and I don't think George did that.

'For me to go back and watch it now would be kind of creepy.'

And he also hates the prequels! :D

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
George Lucad didn't ruin his childhood, obnoxious Star Wars fans did that. George Lucas just put him in a pretty fun adventure film.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"How dare George Lucas not make this movie good enough so that creepy obsessive adults weren't saying I sucked for my entire life."

In all seriousness, child actor is a job notorious for ruined childhoods and mental problems/drug abuse later in life. Even if you are in good movies. The fact that his mother is an agent just makes me think that his family was trying to break into the Hollywood lifestyle and that he was never going to be a normal, well adjusted kid.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I really can't imagine making GBS threads on a little kid for doing a bad job in a bad movie. Like, I hate the prequels but jeez. A lot of it sounds like it was from people he went to school with too so that's even worse. :(

Beeez
May 28, 2012

For a guy who "likes the prequels", you are sure obsessed with proving that they're "bad" and that anyone who has any sort of appreciation or analysis of them beyond knee-jerk hate responses and nerdy nitpickery are insane, stupid, or lying.

Serf
May 5, 2011

People are calling that interview with Ahmed Best sad, but reading interviews with Jake Lloyd is actually sad.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

I really can't imagine making GBS threads on a little kid for doing a bad job in a bad movie. Like, I hate the prequels but jeez. A lot of it sounds like it was from people he went to school with too so that's even worse. :(

The bullying I'm sure had nothing to do with the quality of the movie, he was going to get mercilessly taunted no matter what. He was a famous kid and the other kids were just jealous.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

"How dare George Lucas not make this movie good enough so that creepy obsessive adults weren't saying I sucked for my entire life."

In all seriousness, child actor is a job notorious for ruined childhoods and mental problems/drug abuse later in life. Even if you are in good movies. The fact that his mother is an agent just makes me think that his family was trying to break into the Hollywood lifestyle and that he was never going to be a normal, well adjusted kid.

He's schizophrenic. He would have been behind the eight ball no matter what, except maybe have been able to enjoy the first 15-20 years prior to the onset of symptoms.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Bu then a couple years later he posted this on his Facebook:

I think he was just a kid with schizophrenia trying to deal with a really difficult situation. He definitely had some very mixed feelings about George Lucas and Star Wars itself, and that's understandable.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

The bullying I'm sure had nothing to do with the quality of the movie, he was going to get mercilessly taunted no matter what. He was a famous kid and the other kids were just jealous.

It probably doesn't help that most of lines were either dumb or poorly delivered. "Now this is podracing!" was likely a decade of wedgies.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

computer parts posted:

My sister and her friends saw it like 4 or 5 times.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Filthy Casual posted:

It probably doesn't help that most of lines were either dumb or poorly delivered. "Now this is podracing!" was likely a decade of wedgies.

God it's such a good set up too: "Now this is a wedgie" *lifts 11 year old Jake Lloyd off the ground by his underwear*

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Filthy Casual posted:

I don't think that line is particularly dumb or poorly delivered. To me it sounds very much like a precocious and intelligent kid with low confidence trying to sound cool. And in this case partially succeeding.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

greatn posted:

I don't think that line is particularly dumb or poorly delivered. To me it sounds very much like a precocious and intelligent kid with low confidence trying to sound cool. And in this case partially succeeding.

I guess he succeeded partially in that he did, in fact, succeed in creating sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm one of the few people who doesn't mind little Jake Lloyd in Phantom Menace. Of all the bad acting in that film his wasn't the most offensive. He was just a cute little kid given bad lines in a children's movie marketed towards adults.

It's kind of insane that after playing goddamn baby Darth Vader he goes and gets picked on at school. He should have been the coolest kid on the playground.

• Locked thread