Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Mitsuo posted:

I assumed it was referring to that one player who literally committed multiple murders.

To be fair, they did kick him off the team.

After he was accused of murdering someone a second time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mitsuo posted:

I assumed it was referring to that one player who literally committed multiple murders.

I believe you mean "FORMER player," as opposed to the rapist on Rogers' home team, who is a CURRENT player :eng101:

same

quote:

I don't know if putting these two cartoons one after the other was a conscious decision, but kudos if so because it really works :allears:

Rorus Raz posted:

Latuff is good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Xenoveritas posted:

To be fair, they did kick him off the team.

After he was accused of murdering someone a second time.

Everyone gets one!

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Everyone gets one!

Actually, he manged to get three.

Torches Upon Stars
Jan 17, 2015

The future is bright.

Seal of the Esident of the United States. Am I missing something?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Iron Heart posted:

Seal of the Esident of the United States. Am I missing something?

This cartoon wouldn't have been made if Obama had better PR

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
It's also possibly worth mentioning that the Patriots claim he wasn't removed from the team over the murders, rather due to "behavioral issues." So there's that, too.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I don't know why it always amazes me how easily this thread gets sucked into a Patriots derail, but since people are pretty much just making poo poo up at this point, why not

goddamn Wikipedia posted:

On June 20, 2013, the Boston Herald reported the Patriots had "barred" Hernandez from Gillette Stadium.[49] According to NFL.com, Patriots owner Robert Kraft decided to have Patriots staff ask Hernandez to leave because he did not want Gillette to be "the site of a media stakeout".[50] However, the Boston Globe reported that the Patriots' front office had decided days before Hernandez's arrest that if Hernandez were arrested on any charge related to the case, even an obstruction of justice charge, they would release him.

On June 26, 2013, Hernandez was taken from his home in handcuffs and into police custody.[52] The Patriots released Hernandez from the team about 90 minutes later, before officially knowing the charges against him.[51] Their press release stated:

quote:

A young man was murdered last week and we extend our sympathies to the family and friends who mourn his loss. Words cannot express the disappointment we feel knowing that one of our players was arrested as a result of this investigation. We realize that law enforcement investigations into this matter are ongoing. We support their efforts and respect the process. At this time, we believe this transaction is simply the right thing to do.

90 minutes, guys

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Xenoveritas posted:

It's also possibly worth mentioning that the Patriots claim he wasn't removed from the team over the murders, rather due to "behavioral issues." So there's that, too.

In fairness, I'd imagine that was what they thought was the best thing to claim he was fired for to cover their asses legally on the off-chance he actually beat the murder rap, then tried to turn around and sue them for wrongful termination. Or something along those lines, anyways.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Xenoveritas posted:

This was a contract issue. NFL contracts are partially guarantied, meaning that if the Patriots released Hernandez, they ordinarily would still be required to pay him any guarantied money from the remaining years of his contract. In order to avoid paying those guaranties, the Patriots released Hernandez for "conduct detrimental to the best interests of professional football." Because the guaranties are to protect against release in the case of injury or declining skills, the Patriots claim that release for detrimental conduct allowed them to void the guaranties (and recover portions of the guaranties already paid).

The Patriots' statements at the time of the arrest (they released him the same day) made it clear that the release was because of the murder arrest (they had actually barred him from team facilities a few days before the arrests).

Patriots posted:

A young man was murdered last week and we extend our sympathies to the family and friends who mourn his loss. Words cannot express the disappointment we feel knowing that one of our players was arrested as a result of this investigation. We realize that law enforcement investigations into this matter are ongoing. We support their efforts and respect the process. At this time, we believe this transaction is simply the right thing to do.

As for the claim that this wasn't the first time, it was the first time he was arrested, but yeah. Hernandez had already been investigated in connection with at least two shootings, one fatal. At the time he was drafted, there were supposedly a number of teams that were completely unwilling to draft Hernandez as a result of their own investigations into his past.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Hmm... maybe this might have to do with FanDuel claiming they aren't gambling despite totally being gambling? Or the fact that FanDuel employees have gamed their own system for monetary gain? It's okay to be a gambling site, but when companies claim they aren't to avoid gambling compliance laws when they're clearly a gambling site, that's where things go wrong.

FanDuel is the Martin Shkreli of companies. They have the worst ads and are completely predatory on the average sportswatcher, and only someone being willingfully dense would throw their support behind them.

Daniel Hillard
May 22, 2012

Not sure I see much of a difference between that Latuff and this Pope

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

loquacius posted:

This cartoon wouldn't have been made if Obama had better PR

Nice

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Daniel Hillard posted:

Not sure I see much of a difference between that Latuff and this Pope

While they both point to the same hypocrisy, Latuff implies that Obama's grief is disingenuous. I think it's apparent to anyone who has been listening to the statements that Obama makes after every mass shooting that his grief and frustration are genuine.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

This would have been better if Latuff had just given in and drawn the giant mutant claw he obviously started with before turning it into a leg and foot.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
john uploaded this today, '08 date stamp and all.

the subtitle is "Ahmadinedead"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

seiferguy posted:

Hmm... maybe this might have to do with FanDuel claiming they aren't gambling despite totally being gambling? Or the fact that FanDuel employees have gamed their own system for monetary gain? It's okay to be a gambling site, but when companies claim they aren't to avoid gambling compliance laws when they're clearly a gambling site, that's where things go wrong.

FanDuel is the Martin Shkreli of companies. They have the worst ads and are completely predatory on the average sportswatcher, and only someone being willingfully dense would throw their support behind them.

I just hope this ends not me not having to see FanDuel/DraftKings signs everyone and hear their ads everywhere.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Post 9-11 User posted:

Wayne LaPierre died? Good riddance.

I saw it too.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

there wolf posted:

This would have been better if Latuff had just given in and drawn the giant mutant claw he obviously started with before turning it into a leg and foot.

The Time Dissolver posted:

gently caress off, Latuff.

loquacius posted:

In the process of depicting someone crying crocodile tears, Latuff cries a bunch of crocodile tears

US foreign policy is famous for being good and consistent with its own values.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

loquacius posted:

The Patriots almost never injure people though and are currently nigh-crippled from injuries themselves, nice "freelance work" there Death :colbert:
No but they are pure Evil which is what Roger's seems to be going for

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

Hey Rob is back

gently caress the Bengals, I'm glad that their cheapshotting assholes cost them the game :colbert:

I also feel bad for the known rapist

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
More Pulitzer caliber work from the Omaha World Herald's Jeff Koterba (Obama is in town making a speech today)

"The Road to Omaha" is a phrase used in the lead-up to the College World Series, which has long been held there. Failing to see a connection here, though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

I was going to say this should be added to OP, but then I noticed this year's thread doesn't have a list of commonly refered to comics like there was last year. Any reason Raz?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

US foreign policy is famous for being good and consistent with its own values.
It's painting the US as being completely responsible for Syria when the US isn't anywhere near as influential in Syria as Turkey, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Russia, and Assad are.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Cpt.Americant posted:

I was going to say this should be added to OP, but then I noticed this year's thread doesn't have a list of commonly refered to comics like there was last year. Any reason Raz?

OP is bloated enough as it is.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

corn in the bible posted:

john uploaded this today, '08 date stamp and all.

the subtitle is "Ahmadinedead"

"Ahmadineretiredfrompoliticsin2013" lacks the same ring. Also, where the hell is his mustache? Is this some weird attempt to emasculate an opponent by implying he can't grow the facial hair he already has?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Wouldn't Ahmadeadejad have been a better pun?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Niiiiiiiiice

Digging smug Joe, too.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Did Obama even do anything micdrop worthy?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lady Naga posted:

I was actually half-expecting him to drop the mic after delivering the last line but maybe I have low micdrop standards

e: this part

quote:

That’s the America I know. That’s the country we love. Clear-eyed. Big-hearted. Optimistic that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word. That’s what makes me so hopeful about our future. Because of you. I believe in you. That’s why I stand here confident that the State of our Union is strong.

Thank you, God bless you, and God bless the United States of America.

e2: I really liked this speech because where most SOTU addresses are a breakdown of the plan for the following year's policies and a partisan sniping match this one felt more like the kind of thing Candidate Obama would have come up with

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

Spent seven years not being a bad president.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Micdrops are for hot takes not anime monologues.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lady Naga posted:

Micdrops are for hot takes not anime monologues.

He had a couple solid jokes, my favorite was 'let's face it, the only people who are going to stay in their job for thirty years and retire with a good pension are mostly in this room' or something like that.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

New Marlette

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'm tired of all these sequels in political cartoons. They're worse than Hollywood.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

He had a couple solid jokes, my favorite was 'let's face it, the only people who are going to stay in their job for thirty years and retire with a good pension are mostly in this room' or something like that.

I especially liked how uncomfortable the people in the room seemed with that joke, even though I assume most people at home enjoyed it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mellow Seas posted:

I especially liked how uncomfortable the people in the room seemed with that joke, even though I assume most people at home enjoyed it.

Yea the reaction of nervous, awkward, laughter was the best part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lady Naga posted:

Putting Joe Biden in charge of curing cancer was a goddamn masterstroke.

• Locked thread