Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
This whole thing makes me want to buy a bunch of blue core Chinese proxies indistinguishable from real cards to play with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This whole thing makes me want to buy a bunch of blue core Chinese proxies indistinguishable from real cards to play with.

Exactly this

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

My assumption was that they were saying "don't use WER for proxy poo poo" and it sounds like that's what they meant.

Also Uncharted Realms:

Uncharted RealmsOFFICIAL MAGIC FICTION

* Tazri is like "oh gently caress" when Kozilek emerges. She assumes Gideon is dead and she encounters Kozilek himself. Due to Kozilek's warping over time and space, Tazri experiences her past, present and future in an instant. She remembers how she was working as a caravan leader and came across an angel left for dead by Vampires. The angel asks Tazri to kill her, Tazri does it despite knowing that killing an angel is a cursed act. As a result of killing the angel, she loses her job and her emotional center or some kind of poo poo (its not really specified what actually happened to her other than something being off). She takes the Angel's Halo and puts it over her neck for whatever reason I guess.

* Years later, Tazri joins Vorik (the old general guy)'s army as the right hand woman and serves for 15 years. Flash forward to her being jealous as all gently caress at Gideon getting promoted to general of the army by Vorik as he dies.

* Years after that, she's a Kozilek thrall and sees Gideon get killed by Kozilek. Also, Chandra is dead, Nissa's been reduced to a husk and Jace's illusions found some swords and stabbed him to death somehow. Kozilek is apparently a huge loving dick so he resurrects Gideon and kills him a few more times. This makes Kozilek happy in whatever way an eldritch abomination gets happy. A few millenia after that, Tazri is the only survivor of Zendikar and has sprouted Kozilek-like powers of creation, but she can't figure out how to recreate Zendikar and just sits around being totally insane by herself. Flash forward a few million years after that and she just sits around alone waiting for Kozilek to come back all sad.

* The angel's halo "comes back to life" and fixes her and she goes back to the point at which she was hit by the distortion (this apparently breaks her curse or whatever) Drana shows up and saves Noyan Dar from dying and Tazri wins a staredown to gain the title of General of the Zendikari Army, as well as gaining the power: "WUBRG: Ally creatures you control get +X/+X until end of turn, where X is the number of colors among those creatures."

this makes it sound cool, don't tease me like that

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

PleasantDirge posted:

Don't be obtuse, he spelled it out: don't use the event reporter and you are g2g. They openly admit to not wanting to try to police casual play so don't be a neck beard plz & ty

the statement zoness quoted literally says "the store has zero involvement (including no use of Event Reporter)" (emphasis mine) so that implies that there are other things that you could get nailed for as 'involvement.' what about putting it on the store calendar? verbally promoting it to your customers? "donating" store credit as a prize for the players' tournament?

I'm not going to say I'm never obtuse or a neckbeard but you are straight up misrepresenting the announcement zoness quoted.

I mean, obviously a store can err on the side of not interacting with the player-run tournaments in any way whatsoever, but that leaves with the fact of it having a huge chilling effect on the ability of proxy tournaments to exist, which is what we were (rightfully) pissed off about at first, even before the apparent potential slide into the hilarity of Wizards banning people for sharpie jobs.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 13, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
All I'm saying is where's the plot point where Time God Tazri shows up from another dimension and wreaks havoc? All I'm asking for is a Time Spiral 2 here ok.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

this makes it sound cool, don't tease me like that

It was legit Not Bad and Kinda Interesting

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I actually bought some of these 2 months ago based off an MTGLion video. The Chinese fakes are two things: Hilariously bad or perfect. Some cards are brighter on the back and feel like poo poo and some others you can't tell it's a fake.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

JerryLee posted:

the statement zoness literally says "the store has zero involvement (including no use of Event Reporter)" (emphasis mine) so that implies that there are other things that you could get nailed for as 'involvement.' what about putting it on the store calendar? verbally promoting it to your customers? "donating" store credit as a prize for the players' tournament?

I'm not going to say I'm never obtuse or a neckbeard but you are straight up misrepresenting the announcement zoness quoted.

I mean, obviously a store can err on the side of not interacting with the player-run tournaments in any way whatsoever, but that leaves with the fact of it having a huge chilling effect on the ability of proxy tournaments to exist, which is what we were (rightfully) pissed off about at first, even before the apparent potential slide into the hilarity of Wizards banning people for sharpie jobs.

Wizards is just trying to create a dynamic life-format where player choices are more meaningful. They are subtly encouraging Magic players to do what they do best: liberally interpret vague rules to come to conclusions that benefit them personally. Wizards said "Cast Meddling Mage, naming 'Tournaments That Allow Proxies'" to which the astute Magic community can and will respond "OK then I cast 'Player-Organized Tournaments That Allow Proxies'"

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

stinkles1112 posted:

Wizards is just trying to create a dynamic life-format where player choices are more meaningful. They are subtly encouraging Magic players to do what they do best: liberally interpret vague rules to come to conclusions that benefit them personally. Wizards said "Cast Meddling Mage, naming 'Tournaments That Allow Proxies'" to which the astute Magic community can and will respond "OK then I cast 'Player-Organized Tournaments That Allow Proxies'"

Actually I think you'll find that you never announced the "allow proxies" trigger when it went on the stack :smuggo:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

JerryLee posted:

Actually I think you'll find that you never announced the "allow proxies" trigger when it went on the stack :smuggo:

It's not a "may" ability, scrub

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

That's a SBE not a trigger.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Wizards really ought to start to Stifle triggered players.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Zoness posted:

That's a SBE not a trigger.

Damage doesn't destroy fun, SBE do.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
My enjoyment of the Official Magic Fiction was improved by the fact that I mentally replace the word flicker with fucker in all Magic-related contexts

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Ramos posted:

Wizards really ought to start to Stifle triggered players.

They'll probably try to play needle instead but accidentally name another demographic

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

I actually bought some of these 2 months ago based off an MTGLion video. The Chinese fakes are two things: Hilariously bad or perfect. Some cards are brighter on the back and feel like poo poo and some others you can't tell it's a fake.

My best friend is super into fakes mostly from trying to figure out if cards are fake for trading purposes. The ones I have seen are crazy. Inside a sleeve I just can't see how people could be able to tell unless they knew the card was fake ahead of time.

I have spent the afternoon looking up fakes for purchase. Its amazing how many many websites sell them and the options. The prices on the good fakes is higher than what I thought they would be, but it still seems to be about 4 bucks a card. I am about this close to buying a full legacy and modern set of everything I don't have.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Zoness posted:

I am upset and relieved that this didn't turn into the plot of my favorite anime that involves someone being a god of time and space.

"Gideon died."

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I just need some high quality foil proxies for my EDH deck. There's cards that have never been in foil, and I'd love to see them done up on a modern frame..

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kilo147 posted:

I just need some high quality foil proxies for my EDH deck. There's cards that have never been in foil, and I'd love to see them done up on a modern frame..
If Chinese proxies can give me new cards with the original borders then I know where my next paycheck is going!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Yawgmoth posted:

If Chinese proxies can give me new cards with the original borders then I know where my next paycheck is going!

From what I can tell they will foil anything.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Ten of the twelve DCI bans given around the Kozilek leak effectively removed.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/learning-opportunities-2016-01-13

quote:

First, the news: today, the Wizards investigative committee commuted the suspensions of ten Magic players involved in a private online group that had access to Kozilek, the Great Distortion and Wastes before they were officially revealed. The original suspensions issued by the committee were for three months, which was based on evidence of repeated unauthorized access to confidential information over multiple sets (which would normally warrant a suspension longer than three months), balanced by the positive impact these individuals have had in their communities.

Today's decision effectively reduced the suspensions to 23 days, and each of these players is fully reinstated in the DCI. Additionally, the suspensions will not be part of their "permanent record" and will therefore have no bearing on any future interactions with the DCI. We came to this decision based on information gained during the appeals process; anytime someone is suspended from the DCI, they have the ability to appeal and submit new information for consideration. Ten of the twelve players originally suspended for having repeated unauthorized access to confidential information submitted appeals, and each of them has had their penalty commuted. We have reached out to the remaining two players to offer them the opportunity to appeal as well.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

That statement may as well read "Banning those judges for something we didn't really check out fully was a PR nightmare so we're doing our best to backtrack."

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I wonder how many people are running off to AliExpress and DHGate and buying up blue-core proxies now? There's got to be an uptick over the last few days.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Yup. It really seems that lately Wizards has been reacting in a really strong knee-jerk way. I wonder if they're being talked to by the presumably older-and-wiser heads at Hasbro.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mikujin posted:

That statement may as well read "Banning those judges for something we didn't really check out fully was a PR nightmare so we're doing our best to backtrack."

i mean the alternative (at this point) was just letting the bans stay in place so i'm glad they lessened most of them personally

now to wait until april so the same thing happens with SOI

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Necronomicon posted:

I wonder how many people are running off to AliExpress and DHGate and buying up blue-core proxies now? There's got to be an uptick over the last few days.

That's what I said would happen. Not sure how much, but the only ones that seriously stand to profit are counterfeiters.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mikujin posted:

They did the right thing.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Boy it sure would have been a lot better if they had just released that article in the first place instead of the one by Patrick "Trick" "Forwarding a leak is exactly the same as theft" "Sharpies on cards are counterfeits" Jarret

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

"Additionally we are banning 2 stores for leaking our new policy on banning sharpied pieces of cardboard i mean proxies"

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I'm buying the counterfeits, too. I'm going to mark the backs with black light bar entry stamps so they won't be traded off, and I'll eventually replace them with real copies, but gently caress it, I want to run junk in modern at FNM.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It's a slippery slope, they're gonna ban unofficial tokens next.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
"Yes after further investigation (cooling off from our tantrum) we shortened the suspensions to 23 days, a common suspension duration and they effectively have disappeared from their record. Good thing we have this appeals process. Also please appeal, other judges so that we may also 'shorten your suspensions'"

lol WotC could have just issued a corporate apology like a normal company but nope I guess backtracking without admitting it is the better move

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

mcmagic posted:

They did the right thing.

No they didn't. The right thing is to fully investigate a matter before slamming down the hammer. They did the absolute wrong thing. Trying to undo the incredibly wrong thing you did doesn't somehow make it go away (although I bet they wish it would).

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I'm gonna go ahead and not bash WoTC for doing the right thing given the circumstances, despite coming after them doing a litany of consecutive wrong things.

edit:

Mikujin posted:

No they didn't. The right thing is to fully investigate a matter before slamming down the hammer. They did the absolute wrong thing. Trying to undo the incredibly wrong thing you did doesn't somehow make it go away (although I bet they wish it would).
Unless wizards also invented time travel, I'm not sure how harping on this point is relevant though

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Considering the timing of this I wonder if they would have even bothered if not for all the bad PR they created for themselves yesterday

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Unless wizards also invented time travel, I'm not sure how harping on this point is relevant though

An apology would go a long way. By reducing the suspensions to basically just time already served, WotC is standing firm that they were 100% justified in their knee-jerk reactionary bans. The only reason they're even making a public showing of this is to try and earn back some favor from people who don't see that there's nothing apologetic about the should-be-an-apology announcement.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Reparations for next judge promo?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Mikujin posted:

An apology would go a long way. By reducing the suspensions to basically just time already served, WotC is standing firm that they were 100% justified in their knee-jerk reactionary bans. The only reason they're even making a public showing of this is to try and earn back some favor from people who don't see that there's nothing apologetic about the should-be-an-apology announcement.

Even if it didn't come out with a full blown "We're really sorry for messing this up", the wording of the announcement makes clear that they've fully absorbed the need to very clearly communicate very clearly what the stance is around leaks and culpability (the details of which seemed very reasonable from this latest post). The fact that it took like 5 announcements to get it right is par for the course for Wizards, and I guess I'm giving them credit for getting it this right at all, given the low bar. Maybe I should be holding them to some absolute standards, but it's a company run by socially awkward nerds with no business sense catering to an audience of extremely sensitive socially awkward nerds, and I'm fine with this announcement.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

kizudarake posted:

I'm buying the counterfeits, too. I'm going to mark the backs with black light bar entry stamps so they won't be traded off, and I'll eventually replace them with real copies, but gently caress it, I want to run junk in modern at FNM.

I'm contemplating doing the same thing. The store I play at did proxies for modern, so I've got jund except for a few cards that I haven't dropped $600 on. No word on if they are stopping it yet but another store does regular modern that I won't be able to play it at if they do stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

WotC posted:

I want to emphasize that we've never suspended a player who has proactively come forward to us with confidential information before it's leaked publically when they had no part in acquiring it.

• Locked thread