Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

wasn't that metal cube already on kickstarter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
gently caress that, where's the osmium cube kickstarter

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
You are an educator who loves to bring excitement to your class, shocking them with the density of the cube.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Improbable Lobster posted:

i would bet money that you could go on alibaba and find a company that will do thousands of metal cubes for pennies

no it's pure coincidence that some chinese company is churning out what looks like the exact same thing, but in fact those are completely different from my hand-crafted artisanal cubes

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
uh many metal cubes look the same, sir

ignoring what i just said there this 2 inch one is worth like 500 bucks ignore the cheap knockoff

so powerful, feel it

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
why does it compare its weight to iphones. "this cube weighs as much as two iphone 6ses" makes it sound light, not heavy

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Plorkyeran posted:

why does it compare its weight to iphones. "this cube weighs as much as two iphone 6ses" makes it sound light, not heavy
uh the 6s is as huge as an xbox dude

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Plorkyeran posted:

because all you have to do on kickstarter is say the word iphone and hordes of retards will give you money

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
speaking of kickstarting paperweights, did those hunks of plastic with sensors and rfids ever take off

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Not the Bluetooth tabs? They're still being peddled.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sham bam bamina! posted:

nah, that's the 6s plus, the 6 is just kinda big-for-2007-phone size

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Space-Pope posted:

You are an educator who loves to bring excitement to your class, shocking them with the density of the cube.

lol

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Al! posted:

"Great project, simple and beautiful :)" - George W.

that's what he said about the iraq war, too

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Sham bam bamina! posted:

it's big, but it's still lighter than my previous phone (a 4s)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Space-Pope posted:

You are an educator who loves to bring excitement to your class, shocking them with the density similar to the cube.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Improbable Lobster posted:

i would bet money that you could go on alibaba and find a company that will do thousands of metal cubes for pennies

looks like they go for about $0.50-$5 depending on your order size:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/1-inch-Tungsten-Cubes-Tungsten-cubes_60346917011.html?spm=a2700.7724838.38.1.mvybul

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

MrMoo posted:

Not the Bluetooth tabs? They're still being peddled.
are any of these, or any other "find my poo poo" things decent?

Underwear
May 13, 2006

craisins posted:

are any of these, or any other "find my poo poo" things decent?

Mr. underwear has tried the trackr and another one and both were pretty lovely and broke immediately

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah the trackr one is a total POS

Underwear
May 13, 2006

It literally fell to pieces after being on a keychain for like a month

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sham bam bamina! posted:

let's do it

$5k for a 1" cube, or $25k for 2" mmmmmegacube

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

let's do it

$5k for a 1" cube, or $25k for 2" mmmmmegacube
your average kickstarter backer will complain that this is five times the price for twice as much cube. you should instead make it $15k for the 1", and $25k for the 2".

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

anthonypants posted:

your average kickstarter backer will complain that this is five times the price for twice as much cube. you should instead make it $15k for the 1", and $25k for the 2".
i clicked the "nice" button

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

enriched uranium cube

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lol and I was about to post the other dozen tungsten cube kickstarters but this sums it up

of course, like the wristwatch boys, if you confront them on it they'll point out that they ordered a very particular type of tungsten cube and therefore

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

anthonypants posted:

tell them that it's eight times as much cube and they're getting a bulk discount

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
complete with snazzy exploded diagram showing 8 cubes forming the megacube

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

you can sell anything with a well placed infographic

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

cartoon map of where the kickstarted jars of cum come from, most of the pins are in Juarez, Mexico

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Somewhere in Spain they have started a crowd funding site for athletes, seems a cool idea, for example a local surfista Leticia Canales. Yes there are beach volleyball ladies too.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ayn rand hand job posted:

complete with snazzy exploded diagram showing 8 cubes forming the megacube
Each rotation of earth has 4 mid-days, 4 mid-nights, 4 sun-ups and 4 sun-downs.
The sixteen(16) space times demonstrates cube proof of 4 full days simultaneously on earth within one (1) rotation. The academia created 1 day greenwich time is bastardly queer and dooms future youth and nature to a hell.
Ignorance of 4 day harmonic cubic nature indicts humans as unfit to live on earth.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Sham bam bamina! posted:

there have been several but all the project owners were mysteriously poisoned

Sham bam bamina! posted:

what's that in libraries of congress

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Hahaha the glowforge beta thread is still auto locked and no one noticed until I tweeted at them. Dans on the case tho

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

lol 175 euro raised

they are the b team in Spain, I think they were in maybe a couple world tour qualifiers

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The site looks new, like less than 24 hours old according to the Twitter feed, but apparently athlete crowdfunding has been a thing for many years already, I think I recall some stories with Sochi Olympics and the US squad but the sites don't seem to host a good introduction like Kickstarter usually achieves. idk, I gave Canales 50€ and hope she does well, needs a bit more practice in front of a camera, but then :sporting celebrities:

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 14, 2016

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
man i know this is the worthless kickstarters thread but i have to say that nick gurewitch's kickstarter has been worth it already just for the updates

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/silent-partner-quiets-snoring-noise-like-magic/x/5424678#/story

would this actually work? you can't broadcast silence, surely.

Shirley.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

you don't broadcast silence

you'd be projecting a reflection that would minimize the signal

active noise cancelling has been around for like 20 years now, though I'd be concerned about the size tbh

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

sure you can just ask john cage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
bob

quote:

I set the bar low for the Kickstarter but I was hoping it would make enough for at least a year or two of development. Unfortunately it barely made the minimum amount, but in my situation I had to take what I could get.

I chose to get an apartment instead of trying to live in a van, thinking I'd be better off with the convenience and hoping that I'd be able to figure out something else in that time. This only gave me an 8 month extension, and I spent most of it still very traumatized and frustrated and I did not find any other solutions.

Once I ran out, I ended up living in my car again for another 6 months until I could find another way to support myself. I tried sending a pitch deck to over 300 investors and even went door to door on Sand Hill Road. I emailed every publisher I could find. I applied for YCombinator and 500 Startups. None of that worked, so I ended up enrolling in online classes and taking out student loans.

So now I'm back in an apartment and I've slowly started getting back into development after almost 2 years of sleeping in a car.

I've listed both the puzzle game and the RPG on Steam Greenlight, in hopes that I could get on Early Access, which would really be great for my situation since I could possibly make some steady income as I worked on the games.

I'm still moving forward with the games the best I can and I will still fulfill the backer rewards when I am able to do so. I am still living on borrowed time, but I'll do the best I can with the time that I have.

I'm currently porting the Java puzzle game to C++ so that it runs as smoothly as possible. It will be released and continuously updated for desktop PC both standalone and in browser, and on mobile for Android and iPhone, with the source available to be ported to any other platform.

I am doing this as it is the fastest way that I can possibly gain some reliable income, so that I can work on the RPG without worrying about my situation.​

I am not sure what I'm going to do with the RPG. I rewrote it in Java as an MMO so the game world could be continuously updated on the fly. I was successful at doing that but it is very cumbersome to develop on at this point and it needs to be worked on by a team with funding, not one person with no resources.​

I had gotten caught up in the Silicon Valley hype and thought it would be possible to get investment for a fairly large existing project with a cool online demo. Unfortunately that was not the case. It would probably have helped to have had some traction and numbers, but maybe it's just too small of a project for big investors to care, or maybe my background is too risky, or maybe it's just not good enough.

I'm also unhappy with the state of Java, and the client doesn't run well enough on mobile which I was really hoping for and one of my deciding factors.​ I had anticipated that Java would become more popular because of Android and hence also more supported on the desktop, but because of some security issues and the lawsuit between Google and Oracle it became less popular. I would really like to port it back to C++ but that will take a long time, so for now I will stick with Java. I will probably just scale it back to a single player desktop game and release manual updates, or have a good upgrade function built in.

• Locked thread