Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Jake was fine (as far as child actors went), he just had stupid lines.

Yippee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

I'm one of the few people who doesn't mind little Jake Lloyd in Phantom Menace. Of all the bad acting in that film his wasn't the most offensive. He was just a cute little kid given bad lines in a children's movie marketed towards adults.

It's kind of insane that after playing goddamn baby Darth Vader he goes and gets picked on at school. He should have been the coolest kid on the playground.

Kids are really lovely people.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

He did a better job than Liam Neeson.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Neurolimal posted:

Yippee!

But what's stupid about that? Have you ever met a child? They do, in fact, shout yippee.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kids today are all about Yogscast and in app purchases and living a well adjusted vegan lifestyle.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Sometimes when he is allowed to speak more than four words he starts to sound like a human being, but one of those times is also when he asks about midichlorians so idk.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

greatn posted:

But what's stupid about that? Have you ever met a child? They do, in fact, shout yippee.

I'm not sure "mimesis" is a very strong defense when talking about Star Wars.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Cnut the Great posted:

Bu then a couple years later he posted this on his Facebook:

That can be easily interpreted to mean that he thinks pinball is awesome, not that The Phantom Menace is awesome. Like, I think it would be really cool to have a Johnny Mnemonic pinball machine, but the movie itself is garbage.

AndyElusive posted:

I'm one of the few people who doesn't mind little Jake Lloyd in Phantom Menace. Of all the bad acting in that film his wasn't the most offensive. He was just a cute little kid given bad lines in a children's movie marketed towards adults.
I also didn't mind his acting. I've known some real kids that spoke with strange cadences and over-enunciated everything, which, if caught on film, people would assume was bad acting. Kids can just be weird and stupid, sometimes.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

AndyElusive posted:

It's kind of insane that after playing goddamn baby Darth Vader he goes and gets picked on at school. He should have been the coolest kid on the playground.

I have a really hard time blaming him for the bad lines, as dialogue is not his job. Like with Hayden Christiansen, I feel most of the blame lies with whoever wrote it in the first place.

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

greatn posted:

no they don't

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Neurolimal posted:

Yippee!

This.

He actually is just right as the little kid in Jingle All the Way.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

greatn posted:

Have you? They really don't, but maybe they used to back in the day. Its the type of thing a 60 year old man writes because he's forgotten what childish glee feels like.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

porfiria posted:

I'm not sure "mimesis" is a very strong defense when talking about Star Wars.

And yet, that's exactly the case. Time and again, we're shown that people expected movie-logic - like the 'good guys' rewarding Shmii with a new house - and became frustrated when characters instead behaved as everyday idiots.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Filthy Casual posted:

Have you? They really don't, but maybe they used to back in the day. Its the type of thing a 60 year old man writes because he's forgotten what childish glee feels like.

Why don't you go lurk in a McDonald's ballpit for a few hours, and tell us what you hear?

I'm probably less picky about what kids do/don't sound like, and just want dialogue that makes sense and feels like it came naturally from a character. Do we really need to discuss earth kids of 1999 versus Tatooine kids of a long, long time ago, far, far away?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

RBA Starblade posted:

I really can't imagine making GBS threads on a little kid for doing a bad job in a bad movie. Like, I hate the prequels but jeez. A lot of it sounds like it was from people he went to school with too so that's even worse. :(
Are you placing a mere human being over my memories of Star Wars - the original ones, in their original forms, mind you?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Red posted:

Why don't you go lurk in a McDonald's ballpit for a few hours, and tell us what you hear?

Screams, crying and hatred, mostly.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
With the experience of a little sister, multiple young cousins and nephews, and friends' twerps, I feel like I can most definitely say that kid's dont say "yipee!", today or in the 90's.

I guess lurking in a ball pit gives a far different experience, I don't think i'm prepared to do that.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Neurolimal posted:

With the experience of a little sister, multiple young cousins and nephews, and friends' twerps, I feel like I can most definitely say that kid's dont say "yipee!", today or in the 90's.

I guess lurking in a ball pit gives a far different experience, I don't think i'm prepared to do that.

It was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away so comparisons to present day or the 90's are irrelevant.
:goonsay:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

I feel like I can most definitely say that 19-year-olds don't say things like "Blast it!", either today or in the 70's. Good thing Star Wars doesn't take place today, or in the 70's, or in the 90's.

edit: Seriously, I'm really mad this line from Attack of the Clones got cut down:

quote:

ANAKIN
Oh, you know, Master, I couldn't
find a speeder I really liked,
with an open cockpit... and with
the right speed capabilities...
and then you know I had to get a
really gonzo color...

I would have loved to have seen people flip out over Anakin's use of the word "gonzo."

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 13, 2016

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

:dukedog:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

It doesn't matter if kids say it or not, it matters if it feels like that kid would say it. Anakin in TPM sucked the tension out of scenes through a combination of bad directing, editing, acting, and writing, not just one alone.

The Rey line of never imagining there being so much green I feel like could have been a I hate sand moment if the directing, editing, and acting wasn't there -- but it was so it fits in, unlike hating sand.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

piratepilates posted:

It doesn't matter if kids say it or not, it matters if it feels like that kid would say it. Anakin in TPM sucked the tension out of scenes through a combination of bad directing, editing, acting, and writing, not just one alone.
To be frank, hearing people talk, it wouldn't matter what he said - literally anything, including direct quotes from the Communist Manifesto to exhaustively realistic childlike dialogue apt for his grade and age level, would have been unrealistic poo poo tainted by the combination of bad this, bad that, and bad the other thing. Because the character in that film was a 9 year old child instead of a totally awesome badass, he was doomed. Fortunately, I am sure that going forward there need be no fear of such things occurring again.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
George Lucas writes really stilted, artificial dialogue most of the time. That is not to say that it can't be delivered in a way that sounds believable. Just look at Harrison Ford or Ewan McGregor. Both were able to adapt and either deliver the written dialogue with enough charm to sell it, or just plain ignore the script and say something that gets the idea across, but flows more easily. But to deliver those lines well requires either a very self-starting actor or a very hands-on director. George Lucas is notoriously not a hands-on director, and so actors who would rely more on direction are left struggling.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Nessus posted:

To be frank, hearing people talk, it wouldn't matter what he said - literally anything, including direct quotes from the Communist Manifesto to exhaustively realistic childlike dialogue apt for his grade and age level, would have been unrealistic poo poo tainted by the combination of bad this, bad that, and bad the other thing. Because the character in that film was a 9 year old child instead of a totally awesome badass, he was doomed. Fortunately, I am sure that going forward there need be no fear of such things occurring again.

I think it could have worked out (well I'm sure weirdos would have hated it regardless of the execution) if it was better executed and the movie wasn't so drat goofy. He shouldn't have been played as a comic relief character. And that drat scene with the yipee should have been played as serious instead of the mishmash they had in the final cut. The OT movies were goofy and lighthearted but they knew when it was time to get serious and hold tension (I.e. almost every action scene).

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
If y'all keep this up, Lucas is gonna make Vader yell "yippee" when he throws the emperor down the pit in the 4K release of ROTJ

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

"George, you can type this poo poo, but you can't say it!"
-Harrison Ford

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

piratepilates posted:

I think it could have worked out (well I'm sure weirdos would have hated it regardless of the execution) if it was better executed and the movie wasn't so drat goofy. He shouldn't have been played as a comic relief character. And that drat scene with the yipee should have been played as serious instead of the mishmash they had in the final cut. The OT movies were goofy and lighthearted but they knew when it was time to get serious and hold tension (I.e. almost every action scene).

So it wasn't any sort of technical problem; you just wanted an entirely different movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

"George, you can type this poo poo, but you can't say it!"
-Harrison Ford

I guess Ford doesn't realize his own value, such a huge part of what makes the dialogue in ANH work is that it was being said by the likes of Peter Cushing, James Earl Jones, Alec Guinness, and Ford.

The casting of Cushing is such a stroke of genius. His line delivery is right out of a Hammer Frankenstein film.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Sir Lemming posted:

If y'all keep this up, Lucas is gonna make Vader yell "yippee" when he throws the emperor down the ball pit in the 4K release of ROTJ

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

And yet, that's exactly the case. Time and again, we're shown that people expected movie-logic - like the 'good guys' rewarding Shmii with a new house - and became frustrated when characters instead behaved as everyday idiots.

The thing is, the actions people seem to think Padme or the Jedi should have taken for Shmi are actually advised against in the real world as doing more harm than good.

From a 2008 humantrafficking.org fact sheet:

quote:

Buying slaves to set them free

In paying for a person, the buyer is acting to keep a market system going. Paying
slaveholders increases the risk that more people will be trafficked. Outsiders should
not use this way of rescuing slaves.

Buying slaves in order to free them encourages trafficking.

Where corruption is common, families may feel that the only way to rescue a child is
to pay the slaveholder. A child’s parents should not be blamed for paying money.

They need understanding.

When officials accept slavery and fail to act against it, the tragic need for families to
buy back their own children is a result. Action is necessary to change the system
that traps people into slavery.

From a 2001 New York Times article about slaves in Sudan:

quote:

Sudan's 18-year civil war between an Arab-dominated government in the north and the long-subjugated black African south has claimed two million lives and forced more than four million southern Sudanese from their homes. It has also perversely transformed many international efforts to provide humanitarian assistance into fuel for further fighting. The latest example is a global campaign to curtail one of the most pernicious symptoms of this intractable war -- slavery. The efforts of well-meaning foreigners to buy the freedom of captive southern Sudanese -- a practice known as slave redemption -- may be expanding the very market it seeks to eliminate.

Slave raids today are conducted almost entirely by government-backed armed militias in western Sudan. The raids are directed primarily at the civilian Dinka population. Khartoum's aim in arming the militias has been to wage proxy counterinsurgency war against the main rebel movement in southern Sudan, the predominantly Dinka Sudan People's Liberation Army.

The militias often operate with government troops and transport their captives on military trains. They raid Dinka villages, abducting mostly women and children for use as domestic slaves and concubines. Thousands have been seized and taken north, to be sold for as little as $15 apiece.

Since 1995, Christian groups in Europe and America have sought to assist the Dinka in redeeming their abducted children and female relatives. Dinka families have long been paying slavemasters and chiefs to secure the freedom of their relatives. Western groups led by Christian Solidarity International, based in Zurich, began building on this practice, sending representatives into southern Sudan to buy slaves in large numbers and set them free. In recent years, raising money for slave redemption has become the focus of well-intentioned efforts in many public schools, community groups and evangelical churches in the United States, Canada and Western Europe. Western Christian groups say they have freed thousands of slaves since 1995, paying an average of $50 per slave.

But slave redemption may be a textbook case of good intentions gone awry. The financial incentives of slave redemption in Sudan, one of the word's poorest nations, encourage the taking of slaves. Moreover, the knowledge that foreigners with deep pockets are willing to pay to redeem slaves reduces the incentive for owners to set them free without payment. The extent to which redemption has promoted slave-taking is difficult to document, but there is growing evidence of fraud in the redemption process, as unscrupulous chiefs, middlemen and rebel leaders alike ''borrow'' children who have never been abducted for the purpose of enlarging groups of slaves and increasing the proceeds from their redemption.

The persistence of slavery in Sudan is but one of many appalling crimes in a war that has escalated in the last year with the government's scorched-earth campaign to depopulate areas of southern Sudan surrounding oil production zones. Tens of thousands have been driven from their homes. Some three million southern Sudanese are at risk of starvation this year. Secretary of State Colin Powell recently told Congress there was ''perhaps no greater tragedy on the face of the earth'' than Sudan. Well-intentioned efforts to relieve the symptoms of that tragedy -- be it famine or slavery -- are bound to fail unless Washington is prepared to lead a concerted international campaign to end the war itself.

Another article from The Atlantic about the same thing: The False Promise of Slave Redemption

Furthermore, Human Rights Watch and UNICEF both caution against the practice of buying slaves in order to set them free, due to possible unintended negative consequences.

I believe there's room for nuance in the discussion, but this is not at all the clear cut issue people are unthinkingly making it out to be. Freeing Shmi necessarily means participating in Tatooine's slave market, and giving money to slavers so that they can purchase more slaves. You're probably not a bad person if you do it anyway, but I'd also have a hard time saying you're a bad person if you don't do it.

I don't think most people objecting to the "plot hole" have actually thought about this very hard at all. But goes to show that the Star Wars prequels remain really good for encouraging discussions about complex moral issues, doesn't it?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sir Lemming posted:

If y'all keep this up, Lucas is gonna make Vader yell "yippee" when he throws the emperor down the pit in the 4K release of ROTJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_H3_g9PhnM

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Nessus posted:

To be frank, hearing people talk, it wouldn't matter what he said - literally anything, including direct quotes from the Communist Manifesto to exhaustively realistic childlike dialogue apt for his grade and age level, would have been unrealistic poo poo tainted by the combination of bad this, bad that, and bad the other thing. Because the character in that film was a 9 year old child instead of a totally awesome badass, he was doomed.

This is a very fair post with significant respect and tolerance for alternate opinions and readings

quote:

Fortunately, I am sure that going forward there need be no fear of such things occurring again.

Lol

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cnut the Great posted:

The thing is, the actions people seem to think Padme or the Jedi should have taken for Shmi are actually advised against in the real world as doing more harm than good.

It's not about real world slavery, and "First, Do More Harm Than Good" could be the motto of late Republic Jedi. The lazersword supermen have a really powerful lazersword superman trainee, but his emotional stability is in question the moment they meet him. Rather than address his emotions and mitigate a rather large and evident source of distress for him, these guardians of peace and justice try to get him to suppress his emotions the same way they did in superman brainwashing camp.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They didn't necessarily have to buy her. They could have won her in a game of chance or slaughtered the slavers like animals.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's a bit disingenuous to compare unrealistic advice (nobody in a situation where their beloved family member is being kept in slavery will go "I shan't free her peacefully and be about my way, for this shall perpetuate an economy built upon slavery of which I has never affected my life before today") from a group focused on combatting an illegal trade, to commentary on a universe where slavery is legal, the person affected is a war hero, and the world he helped rescue is super rich.

As an addendum, it's always felt like the jedi in TPM face an ultimatum WRT film readers; if they forcefully free the slaves then they are cemented as a theocratic strongarm police force that is left unsupervised and unregulated. If they dont free the slaves then they are uncaring monsters who tolerate awful measures to maintain their lifestyle. Thanks Obama.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Sir Lemming posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_H3_g9PhnM

EDIT: never mind, beaten by PittTheElder :kiddo:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Neurolimal posted:

It's a bit disingenuous to compare unrealistic advice (nobody in a situation where their beloved family member is being kept in slavery will go "I shan't free her peacefully and be about my way, for this shall perpetuate an economy built upon slavery of which I has never affected my life before today") from a group focused on combatting an illegal trade, to commentary on a universe where slavery is legal, the person affected is a war hero, and the world he helped rescue is super rich.

As an addendum, it's always felt like the jedi in TPM face an ultimatum WRT film readers; if they forcefully free the slaves then they are cemented as a theocratic strongarm police force that is left unsupervised and unregulated. If they dont free the slaves then they are uncaring monsters who tolerate awful measures to maintain their lifestyle. Thanks Obama.

Congratulations, you have identified a complex moral problem with no easy answers.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Basebf555 posted:

I guess Ford doesn't realize his own value, such a huge part of what makes the dialogue in ANH work is that it was being said by the likes of Peter Cushing, James Earl Jones, Alec Guinness, and Ford.

The casting of Cushing is such a stroke of genius. His line delivery is right out of a Hammer Frankenstein film.

Darth Vader is played by the Frankenstein Monster from (I think?) Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed. Might have been Evil of Frankenstein. It's just cool that in that scene you have Frankenstein talking to his monster.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Congratulations, you have identified a complex moral problem with no easy answers.

This was in response to Cnut's assertion on the subject, and SMG's reading on the Jedi passiveness towards slavery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
On a really basic level, both Anakin and Padme are frustrated that- despite their apparent strength and resources- their respective organizations are so unable to save people, at least the people that matter to them. Padme makes her deal with the devil in Episode 1 to save Naboo (following Palpatine's advice to lead the revolt against Valorum), Anakin makes his deal with the devil in Episode 3 to save Padme. Episdoe 2 is where Padme begins to recognize the cost of her prior decision, while it sets the stage for Anakin to do what he does in the RoTS.

• Locked thread