Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

beepsandboops posted:

Hoping to get my ICND2 before the end of the month. I've got Odom's book and have been watching CBT Nuggets, and will probably just use the sample test that came with the Odom book and GNS3.

Any tips on the test? I'm getting tripped up by all of the different costs for all of the different routing protocols / STP stuff, but conceptually it all makes sense to me.

I had lots of Frame Relay, I remember, so, don't skimp on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Frame Relay was pretty easy for me. Like others said, get Spanning Tree down. Be prepared to look at a diagram and know which ports are blocking/forwarding.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
passed the net+ :toot:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Kashuno posted:

Nicely done :cheers:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Kashuno posted:

That's whats up

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
I really need to figure out a way to dedicate to studying for my Cisco ICND1. I always start but get bogged down in the basics and quit out of boredom. But then I'll wait long enough to forget the basics (at least for testing purposes), so that I have to study them again.

That and I'm learning game/web development which somehow tends to be a lot more fun.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
schedule the test

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Kashuno posted:

schedule the test

There is seriously no better motivator than putting your money down.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Unless you're like me, and realize you can just reschedule it an infinite number of times. :downs:

I mean yeah putting the money up is something, but the date is just this ephemeral thing that changes whenever I want it to.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

All the testing centers in my area only allow scheduling up to two weeks in advance. Can't schedule out any further than that. One testing center that would is 100+ miles away.

Edit: It would probably be worth the extra drive to get my butt moving.

InevitableCheese fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 13, 2016

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Does anybody use Anki for studying? I've been trying to make my own study deck for ICND2 and everything and have found it pretty helpful so far.

Kashuno posted:

Congrats!

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

beepsandboops posted:

Does anybody use Anki for studying? I've been trying to make my own study deck for ICND2 and everything and have found it pretty helpful so far.

Congrats!

I do something similar, but I use Quizlet for syncing between devices (plus out of habit, it's what I used in college).

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
When I was getting ready for the ICND1 (before the new exam came out) I was using a site called Headmagnet to make flash cards and quiz decks. I don't think it's been updated in over a year, though.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Do you guys find it easier to study at home? Or do you have to do certain things or go somewhere else to be able to focus?

Just curious to everyone's study habits.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

InevitableCheese posted:

Do you guys find it easier to study at home? Or do you have to do certain things or go somewhere else to be able to focus?

I find it impossible to do any meaningful studying at home. I camp out at the local library, or stay in my office at work an extra few hours on weekdays.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

InevitableCheese posted:

Just curious to everyone's study habits.

I can't study at home I'm bad at it. I usually study on the train to and from work, which gives me about an 1-1.5 hours worth of study time a day.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Unless you're like me, and realize you can just reschedule it an infinite number of times. :downs:

I mean yeah putting the money up is something, but the date is just this ephemeral thing that changes whenever I want it to.

The incentive then is to capitalize on your investment as soon as possible instead of just letting Cisco hold onto your money indefinitely.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My work has given us 4 hours a week to study but I'll be damned if I'd actually be able to get away from the desk.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The vast majority of my studying for WGU and certs has been at work and I can manage 1-3 hours a day if I stay until 7pm or so. At home I rarely get anything done.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I study at home usually, sometimes on the job when it's slower (lugging books around is a bitch though so sometimes I don't have them with me).

Studying at home does require focus, generally I will lock myself in a room with as little distractions as possible (no TV no computer etc) and tell my gf to gtfo.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Having a toddler running around makes studying at home basically impossible unless I want to use the one hour in between her going to bed and me for studying, which I usually don't. So I basically only study on the weekends and at work.

:smithicide:

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
640-911 tomorrow at 2pm. Im pretty up and up on the actual CCNA R&S type stuff when it comes to how it is configured in NX-OS, I am just worried about the hardware questions from chapter 2, so much crap about power requirements, RUs used, number of fans, BS that should all stay on an accessible spec sheet, not memory!

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

MrBigglesworth posted:

640-911 tomorrow at 2pm. Im pretty up and up on the actual CCNA R&S type stuff when it comes to how it is configured in NX-OS, I am just worried about the hardware questions from chapter 2, so much crap about power requirements, RUs used, number of fans, BS that should all stay on an accessible spec sheet, not memory!

Good luck!! Let me know how it goes.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
:smuggo: Just passed the 880-201. Now to schedule the second half of this thing.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
Linux Cert chat here:

Right now I'm currently sitting Linux cert-wise with an LPCI-1/CompTIA Linux+ and an RHCSA6. Right now my company is supposedly working on getting training for the RHCE7 (already took the class for RHCSA6 but not expected to take it the exam since Red Hat will let me go straight to the RHCE7). I'm looking for other Linux certs in the mean time as well to take. I know there's the Linux Foundations Certified System Administrator and I could also take the *ACK* LPIC-2. Anyone have other recommendations? I guess there's other less important SysAdmin level certs I could knock off, too, like the Ubuntu one.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm a Microsoft guy, but wouldn't everything else be pretty redundant once you earn the RHCE? It's the premier Linux Cert right? Like I have a MCITP:EA and MCSE Windows certs, I'm not going to go take the Comptia Server+ cert.

I guess if you want to collect the other ones like Pokemon you can, but I would probably suggest putting your efforts towards something else. Maybe a GIAC cert that interests you. If you work with Oracle Linux, maybe their OCA/OCP certs might be of interest to you if you really wanted to earn them.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

skipdogg posted:

I'm a Microsoft guy, but wouldn't everything else be pretty redundant once you earn the RHCE? It's the premier Linux Cert right? Like I have a MCITP:EA and MCSE Windows certs, I'm not going to go take the Comptia Server+ cert.

I guess if you want to collect the other ones like Pokemon you can, but I would probably suggest putting your efforts towards something else. Maybe a GIAC cert that interests you. If you work with Oracle Linux, maybe their OCA/OCP certs might be of interest to you if you really wanted to earn them.

I have to show I'm at least maintaining my certs in role so getting similar certs helps.

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 15, 2016

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Failed 640-911. 723 needed 818 to pass. A few things I know I didn't study for as feared and one thing that really pisses me off is where 2 commands do the same goddamn thing but you can only pick one answer. I HATE those types. Other things mentioned are not in the Official Cisco Guide. Wrote down a bunch of poo poo when I got back to my car for concerns I gotta study up on.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Linux, MCSA, or CCNP R/S?

which is more worth my type studying? I just got done going through CBT Nuggets CCNA course (which was honestly really easy to get through). I was going through a little bit of Server 2012 videos just so I could know the basics

EDIT: Do people ACTUALLY use Server Core in the real world?

really?

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 15, 2016

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Race Realists posted:

Linux, MCSA, or CCNP R/S?

which is more worth my type studying? I just got done going through CBT Nuggets CCNA course (which was honestly really easy to get through). I was going through a little bit of Server 2012 videos just so I could know the basics

EDIT: Do people ACTUALLY use Server Core in the real world?

really?

100%. I love Server Core.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Server Core isn't bad as long as you have RSAT to fall back on when stuff just isn't working. Also, definitely learn Powershell because the more features Microsoft adds, the more the GUI tools for those features lag behind. Especially learn about remoting with pssession because that's pretty much all you'll have with nano servers and containers once Server 2016 rolls out.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

MrBigglesworth posted:

Failed 640-911. 723 needed 818 to pass. A few things I know I didn't study for as feared and one thing that really pisses me off is where 2 commands do the same goddamn thing but you can only pick one answer. I HATE those types. Other things mentioned are not in the Official Cisco Guide. Wrote down a bunch of poo poo when I got back to my car for concerns I gotta study up on.

Sorry to hear that :( if you don't mind me asking, what didn't you study for and what do you feel wasn't mentioned? I'm finding a lot of stuff in the Odom text that wasn't mentioned in Lammele's, but I'm really crossing my fingers that somehow using both books will cover me. And the extra appendix...

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
So I'm at the point in my career that I need to be able to prove more thoroughly that I do deserve more money. I would love to learn more about the environments I'm in but yeah mainly opening doors and having more weight with which to get higher salaries.

Currently I'm part of a team supporting and overseeing a massive hardware refresh including going to MPLS from analog lines. These are store locations so we also need to be familiar with the POS backend which uses Linux.

We'll be doing this for quite a while and will be cross training with the NOC team as well, shortly. A few of my coworkers are extremely adept with Linux and the others have their CCNA.

I'm planning to start with all the basics for certs since I have absolutely none: A+, Security+, Network+, Linux+ and studying for my CCNA. I'm mostly just looking for anyone's recommendations beyond these (or the best path to/through these).

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
CBT Nuggets and the Odom book.

What is severely lacking is license and some specific hardware info as I think I stated. Be sure to get the appendix from the ciscopress site, which is actually chapter 2 of 640-911.

There is also some "gotcha" questions as regards to if one command works over another when they BOTH will work, but you can only choose one. Other gotchas are like some interchangable terminology where if you are with some coworkers and say this or that, they know what you are talking about, but for the test it must be exactly this specific term. I loving HATE questions like that. Other stuff talking a little bit too specific about system images and such. I need to go back into the Odom book to see if some of this stuff was mentioned. When I got back to my car I immediately started dumping what I could about questions that hung me up so I can research and see if I can lock down the answer. This is my first failed test in a while and I realize next time I will take a notepad and pen into the center and put that in the locker so I can start jotting down stuff a lot faster than waiting to get to my car so things will be fresher. But I seriously filled up a page in hasty writing on looking some stuff up.

I want to get the Lammle book just so I have exposure from a different perspective and I think I will get this book off Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1587143046/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=27WQMLUNPHSCM&coliid=I3ENM57G8L34G0

There were plenty of dead loving simple questions where you literally spend less than 20 seconds on them because the answer is so obvious as to what is correct.

Forgot to mention, the Sims themselves were very easy, its all show commands and auto complete works, cant use show run is all.

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 16, 2016

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Ugato posted:

I'm planning to start with all the basics for certs since I have absolutely none: A+, Security+, Network+, Linux+ and studying for my CCNA. I'm mostly just looking for anyone's recommendations beyond these (or the best path to/through these).

Network+ is a good starter cert in that it'll get you used to what is expected of you with regards to the actual exam. The downside is that you'll probably end up covering everything in Network+ in your subsequent certs. You may want to look at taking the Cisco CCENT ICND1 100-101 for your first cert. It's half of the CCNA and it's also a good starter cert.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ugato posted:

So I'm at the point in my career that I need to be able to prove more thoroughly that I do deserve more money. I would love to learn more about the environments I'm in but yeah mainly opening doors and having more weight with which to get higher salaries.

Currently I'm part of a team supporting and overseeing a massive hardware refresh including going to MPLS from analog lines. These are store locations so we also need to be familiar with the POS backend which uses Linux.

We'll be doing this for quite a while and will be cross training with the NOC team as well, shortly. A few of my coworkers are extremely adept with Linux and the others have their CCNA.

Skip a+ and probably linux+

If you do net+ then sec+ it'll be a good starting place. Part of the sec+ is just a bit more in depth version of the net+, so I'd start there. I don't really know what you're interested in doing in the future so idk what your future beyond those would be

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Had to purchase an extension for the PWK lab. That poo poo is pretty intense.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

psydude posted:

Had to purchase an extension for the PWK lab. That poo poo is pretty intense.

My company said they would pay for it so I think I am gonna do that after I finish up my CCNA.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
So, with the way the CE credits work, I know if you get a "higher level" cert for CompTIA, it will re up the ones below it (A+, Net+ Sec+, something at the end). A question came up with a coworker, if you take, say, your Sec+ and your Net/A+ has lapsed, does it renew those, or do you have to retake those cert exams?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

hitachi posted:

My company said they would pay for it so I think I am gonna do that after I finish up my CCNA.

Yeah my company's paying for it. I do a lot of security assessments (not full on penetration testing), so it's good additional training even if I don't get the cert.