Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Life With The Kawajiris would be such a good spinoff manga...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Especially if it stated out with the actual Kosaku, and then you don't know when it's Kira until he starts acting twice as sexy.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Kira's goal is very relatable and I wish he had found peace and happiness but also he murdered a lot of people and also like two kids so maybe it all worked out in the end

a cartoon duck posted:

I like the part where Kira fights a cat and almost dies before the gang can even home in on him.
Look, that cat got air bubbles in his bloodstream and was slicing off toenails, it was a loving menace.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Moltrey posted:

Kira's goal is very relatable and I wish he had found peace and happiness but also he murdered a lot of people and also like two kids so maybe it all worked out in the end

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

a cartoon duck posted:

I like the part where Kira fights a cat and almost dies before the gang can even home in on him.

That owned really hard and it was cool that despite having such an insane powers that Kira was still a very vulnerable villain as he was almost killed by this loving cat plant

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I think it's kind of cute when he starts wondering if he has feelings for Shinobu.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kira's such a good character, I really wish there were more chapters where he was the viewpoint character.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also when Jotaro beats the poo poo out of him. That's cool because Jotaro is cool and it was funny as poo poo because Kira just sat there making fun of him until he got his face plastered across the pavement.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Butt Ghost posted:

I think it's kind of cute when he starts wondering if he has feelings for Shinobu.

My favorite thing about JoJo villains is them developing genuine good feelings for someone (Kira and Shinobu, DIO and Pucci) and them not understanding what's happening, why it's happening, or what to do about it because they're emotionally stunted people, and how they handle it. It's like the Patton Oswalt bit where he talks about how Darth Vader would sound like an idiot if you asked him to talk about puppies or other good and nice things.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's not firmly established that Hayato didn't install the cameras in his parents room after noticing his dad was different and may be the most hosed up little kid of all time.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

BaDandy posted:

My favorite thing about JoJo villains is them developing genuine good feelings for someone (Kira and Shinobu, DIO and Pucci) and them not understanding what's happening, why it's happening, or what to do about it because they're emotionally stunted people, and how they handle it. It's like the Patton Oswalt bit where he talks about how Darth Vader would sound like an idiot if you asked him to talk about puppies or other good and nice things.
I'd think that would depend on the puppy.

Some breeds have coarse fur, and when they get older they start shedding and it gets everywhere. It's really irritating.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean your dad walks into the bathtub menacingly you begin to suspect some things

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
whoops

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Average JoJo villain

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Baal posted:

I mean your dad walks into the bathtub menacingly you begin to suspect some things

That's actually after the spying on Kira practising his name bit. I mean, it's not Araki's intent or anything, it's just fun to look at certain story telling devices and think "actually this is really hosed up."

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Josuke Higashikata posted:

That's actually after the spying on Kira practising his name bit. I mean, it's not Araki's intent or anything, it's just fun to look at certain story telling devices and think "actually this is really hosed up."

It's p hosed up when Giorno drinks piss

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Does a Jellyfish only being 99% water mean he drank 1% of the piss?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He should've drunk 100% of it IMO

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Baal posted:

He should've drunk 100% of it IMO

Yeah, I thought that was going to be a scene demonstrating the legendary Joestar stoicism and his steely determination to become a Gangstar, instead it was about how he's a bitch whose Stand can do absolutely anything to get him out of trouble

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 13, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean I've come to like Giorno more over time but even Jonathan would've drunk the piss

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I know for a fact that Johnny's Dark Determination would have made him wash down the piss with a nice poo poo hot dog.

Gappy would have put the piss in bubbles and spread it evenly in everyone else's cups.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Quit posting about your fetishes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Drink my piss

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you won't do that you'll never reach The True Man's World.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Yeah, I thought that was going to be a scene demonstrating the legendary Joestar stoicism and his steely determination to become a Gangstar, instead it was about how he's a bitch whose Stand can do absolutely anything to get him out of trouble

I feel like that's sort of the point. He's supposed to be more Dio's son than Jonathan's, the Joestar bloodline is just to make sure that he can be like Dio without also being a living garbage can.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Idk Giorno never really came off as Diolike to me, he's more like stoic Jonathan

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

6 pages of MUDA and him ruthlessly disposing of a couple of enemies are his DIO aspects, I guess.

I'm not sure he has that "I'd do anything to get to where I want to be" like DIO has though. Like, he does feel like that at times but at others he's quite clearly too interested in the well-being of others to come across as DIO-esque, but that might be Araki trying to show him as part Jonathan too?

I think Araki probably got/wrote the idea of JoJo 5 being DIO's son before realising he can't really make an anti-hero work properly in Vento Aureo's scenario.

e: Like, I'd take Polpo as sort of a DIO-esque moments for Giorno. He uses him to get what he wants and then he gets him to kill himself. It's just that those moments are super super rare.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 13, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can buy that they tried to combine aspects of both into the character, but it just sort of feels kinda inconsistent I guess is what I'm trying to say. It's weird especially since the next part has Jolyne who is a better attempt at that kind of ruthless character that has a humane side, but it probably helps that Jolyne in general is more emotive than Giorno.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Baal posted:

Idk Giorno never really came off as Diolike to me, he's more like stoic Jonathan

I agree that he's more "serene" and actually has a better handle on his anger than Dio ever would, but I can definitely see that he has Dio's arrogant, "I'm just better and smarter than you" attitude, even if he doesn't mean to come off like that. The way his intelligence works is also more in line with Dio's, where he absorbs any information he comes across like a sponge, but with the added bonus of the crazy, outside the box ideas that are Joestar trademarks. There's also the fact that he's really ruthless when he has to be and just isn't very nice. To me he's more of a heroic Dio, but I could also be reading too much into things (again) so ehhh.

I've been liking what the VA retranslations have been like so far, though. Dimolto has been releasing other translated parts of VA and they actually finished the White Album arc, so I've been going through part 5 again this week and having a lot of fun with it.

Baal posted:

I can buy that they tried to combine aspects of both into the character, but it just sort of feels kinda inconsistent I guess is what I'm trying to say. It's weird especially since the next part has Jolyne who is a better attempt at that kind of ruthless character that has a humane side, but it probably helps that Jolyne in general is more emotive than Giorno.

Yeah, that's fair.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 13, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. I sort of feel like Giorno is being portrayed as a more understanding person like Jonathan for the most part, but he does do some cold poo poo to guys like Luka and Diavolo so his Dio aspects are definitely more prevalent than I gave them credit for.

Also everyone I've ever talked to has only referred to Ghiaccio as White Album and it's really funny, because that dude always left an impression on me and I always found it weird people only remember the stand name and never his actual name.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's probably because it's a lot harder to spell correctly than White Album and harder to recognise at a glance.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I guess. It always stuck with me because that dude's intro scene is such a loving crazy series of sentences and I react like "That is one of the most loving JoJo characters I've ever seen."

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
It's weird for me because I've been confusing Ghiaccio and Ciocolatta's names for some reason, so when I got the White Album I was like "...Wait. The seven page beatdown isn't here," before I was like "...........this isn't Ciocolatta. Dammit."

I think a good way to think about Giorno (and the other JoJos) is to imagine what kind of kids they'd be like in high school, and Giorno's favorite story is Les Miserables and he knows who Jeff Beck is. He's in middle school. Picture what kind of child that is. I'm sorry, but that's a Dio kid. That annoying know it all who seems like he never has to study, the one who reads all the time, the one who seems like he'd be annoyingly pretentious. Normal Joestars just aren't that type of character.

Ghiaccio has been one of my favorite "mooks" so far too, but the top mook of Part 5 will always be Pesci to me. :gbsmith:

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 13, 2016

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Thread title reminded me to finish Dead Man's Questions :haw:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't really remember the names of any of the mooks from Part 5. The whole thing is kind of a blur that I'm not eager to reread until the retranslation is finished.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Hopefully the anime makes Giorno's character more easy to understand

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I remember so many of the Part 5 mooks even if just that some of them had style. Prosciutto' probably one of my favorite JoJo mooks though because that dude just commands so much attention, had a rad stand (Grateful Dead one of top 5 stands), and he DOESN'T. GO. QUIETLY. That motherfucker survived train treads to give Pesci even a little bit of an edge and you have to respect that man's dedication to helping his friend.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
He's basically Enjolras with a stand.

quote:

Enjolras is described as "a charming young man who was capable of being terrible"[1] and as "Antinous wild".[1] He is said to have the appearance of a seventeen-year-old girl, with "long fair lashes, blue eyes, hair flying in the wind, rosy cheeks, pure lips, and exquisite teeth".[1]

Late in the novel, Enjolras "come[s] to accept... the transformation of the great French Republic into the immense human republic,"[2]:1029 and speaks of a "revolution of the True" that will "light up the whole human race."[2]:1030 In the same speech, he seems to draw a religious parallel, declaring the barricades of the failed 1832 uprising to be a place where "day embraces night, and says: I will die with thee and thou shalt be born again with me."[2]:1031

Though he embraces violence as a necessary means of revolution, Enjolras also abhors it: upon executing a member of the insurrectionary mob (Le Cabuc) who has murdered a householder, he declares that while "what [Le Cabuc] did is horrible... what [he, Enjolras] has done is terrible... I have judged myself also, and you shall soon see to what I have sentenced myself."[2]:966 "Death," he says, "I use thee, but I hate thee."[2]:967

Baal posted:

I remember so many of the Part 5 mooks even if just that some of them had style. Prosciutto' probably one of my favorite JoJo mooks though because that dude just commands so much attention, had a rad stand (Grateful Dead one of top 5 stands), and he DOESN'T. GO. QUIETLY. That motherfucker survived train treads to give Pesci even a little bit of an edge and you have to respect that man's dedication to helping his friend.

Prosciutto was so good too. I remember thinking that I really liked his suit, but the whole arc was really well done.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 13, 2016

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
the train fight as a whole is such a great highlight

and then babyface is right after where, eh, it's not bad, but I'm just like "eh" it has a cool intro with the funny/creepy poo poo melone does but then eh I don't really remember much about it, and it's sandwiched in between the really good prosciutto/pesci stuff and ghiaccio stuff.

I still love that giorno's big plan for escaping from the guy that can freeze everything is to drive into the ocean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah Melone just sort of ended up being kind of whatever. It was a neat idea that sort of ended up being a pretty slow and plodding fight because Giorno has to spend like five chapters dealing with the stand before he realizes how dumb his powers are. Thankfully it's followed up with the Ghiaccio fight which was rad as hell.