Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Cold Steel had a little too many unwinnable fights, but thankfully you can get revenge for some of them. But other than seeing Ymir and Rean's family, Learning Emma's Deal, more about Millium and any of the Second Years, a good chunk of the current cast was ironed out in part one. They have to have something for part 2 and hopefully I can control Rean's Devil Trigger mode soon because loving c'mon, man. Let me go super anime and enjoy more crafts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Crabtree posted:

But other than seeing Ymir and Rean's family, Learning Emma's Deal

These in particular were dick moves, since not only did Emma tell you that she was going to explain everything, then proceeded to not do so, but apparently the party went to Ymir! And they didn't bother actually showing it! The hell, game?!

ChiTownEddie posted:

XSEED posted a mini update on CS2's progress.
https://www.facebook.com/XSEEDTrails/posts/1304114426280634:0

They are still expecting 2016, which is cool, hopefully they make it.
Given that Cold Steel 1's translation process finished in June, I'd say that bodes well. Though I think they were farther along in editing for that.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 12, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like the cast members in CS1 end up overall better than the cast members in FC in terms of development. They do not get as much individual development as Joshua or Estelle but they end up a lot better than Tita or Zane or whoever are by that point. Most of the non-Agate/Kloe party members in FC felt underdeveloped to me and only really got better in SC where they have more of a presence. (Oliver is probably the closest but is more amusing than developed I think.)
Olivier has a well rounded character but he doesn't really grow much over the course of FC, is how I'd put it. His only real development is his real fondness for Joshua and Estelle, even past the jokes, and that's only really made apparent in SC.

And frankly, even in SC Tita and Zane don't get much. Zane has a subplot, but it barely gets any time, and Tita's subplot with Renne gets eaten up by Estelle and Joshua's subplot with Renne.

On the other hand, Cold Steel definitely has a rougher start with some of its characters. First impressions matter a lot and Miachis spends the first couple hours of the game being an ungodly rear end and dropping like 15 'girls are weak' lines in a half hour. And he grows, sure, but that first impression still made it really hard for me to warm up to him even after he got development.

Alisa has a similar problem, but at least she just came out and said 'yeah, I was being a jerk' pretty early on, instead of having to go through a giant arc. Comparatively, all of the TiTS party members are pretty pleasant even when you're just meeting them, so they're easier to like. Agate is sort of a jerk, but he never really steps out of line.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 12, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Cold Steel had a little too many unwinnable fights, but thankfully you can get revenge for some of them. But other than seeing Ymir and Rean's family, Learning Emma's Deal, more about Millium and any of the Second Years, a good chunk of the current cast was ironed out in part one. They have to have something for part 2 and hopefully I can control Rean's Devil Trigger mode soon because loving c'mon, man. Let me go super anime and enjoy more crafts.

Speaking of unwinnable fights, is it possible to "win" the Victor Arseid fight in its second part? He'll break out his S-Craft after a number of turns normally, long before you could deplete his HP normally, but via Chrono Break and SP/CP recovery item spam I could see one theoretically beating him without even giving up a turn.

Also, of all the names Falcom could have picked for the most luxurious airship in the world, they picked Lusitania? Really?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Lord Koth posted:

Speaking of unwinnable fights, is it possible to "win" the Victor Arseid fight in its second part? He'll break out his S-Craft after a number of turns normally, long before you could deplete his HP normally, but via Chrono Break and SP/CP recovery item spam I could see one theoretically beating him without even giving up a turn.

Also, of all the names Falcom could have picked for the most luxurious airship in the world, they picked Lusitania? Really?

Hell no.

And the Lusitania is probably intentional. The first part of 3rd (as shown in the translated video earlier in the thread) is Kevin breaking into the Lusitania.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Supremezero posted:

Hell no.

And the Lusitania is probably intentional. The first part of 3rd (as shown in the translated video earlier in the thread) is Kevin breaking into the Lusitania.

Eh, I'm simply aware that the Sara fight vs. Rean/Jusis/Machias is "winnable" which, given the groups don't change, I imagine amounts to an "Oh, good job, I'll actually have to use some effort" before getting crushed via cutscene, so was wondering if that one might have been similar.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Lord Koth posted:

Eh, I'm simply aware that the Sara fight vs. Rean/Jusis/Machias is "winnable" which, given the groups don't change, I imagine amounts to an "Oh, good job, I'll actually have to use some effort" before getting crushed via cutscene, so was wondering if that one might have been similar.

Uh. No it's not. It happens the same way as the Victor fight, actually. Survives at 1 HP regardless.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Crabtree posted:

Cold Steel had a little too many unwinnable fights, but thankfully you can get revenge for some of them.

Yeah that was something that bugged me as well. Especially after playing FC and SC where they did a pretty good job of avoiding those. The fight with Victor felt rather awkward to me, and I can't help but think it would've worked better as a cut scene. But to be fair, I really dislike unwinnable fights, so my opinion on them is a bit biased.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Chapter 5 of Cold Steel: I cannot stand Millium Orion. It's like she belongs in a different game/anime . That is all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

davidHalestorm posted:

Chapter 5 of Cold Steel: I cannot stand Millium Orion. It's like she belongs in a different game/anime . That is all.

She is really bad and also her voice actor is kinda crap.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i think she has room to get more interesting in CSII with (endgame spoiler)the assassination of Gilliath Osborne by the coward Crow Armbrust since she seemed pretty attached to gilliath. on the other hand she seemed like she really didn't care much when she realized what was going on, but that's another they could develop her too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

davidHalestorm posted:

shes cute

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Supremezero posted:

Uh. No it's not. It happens the same way as the Victor fight, actually. Survives at 1 HP regardless.

Guess I misread then. :(

It actually disappoints me a bit as well, as I too like "unwinnable" fights that you can technically win, even if it just mildly changes the cutscene that follows.

ImpAtom posted:

She is really bad and also her voice actor is kinda crap.

I honestly can't decide if I'm annoyed by her or Emma more. I don't truly actively dislike either, but both are by far at the bottom of my list of characters I've enjoyed so far. I'll end up doing their link events in my second playthrough just for completion's sake, but given every other character has managed to establish themselves as pretty likable outside those events just through the course of the story, I'm somewhat doubtful they'll change my opinion.

Fusbolito McGiggola
Dec 21, 2005

Supremezero posted:

These in particular were dick moves, since not only did Emma tell you that she was going to explain everything, then proceeded to not do so, but apparently the party went to Ymir! And they didn't bother actually showing it! The hell, game?!

I have not played CS II, and do not know whether they end up telling this part of the story in it, but they did do a voiced drama CD for the LE of Sen I that takes place during the interlude between Chapter 6 ending and the Epilogue beginning entirely set in Ymir, which you can read a translation of here.

Granted, they SHOULD have shown us this scene in-game, especially since it shows the scene in Rean's youth with the bear-like monster, and the first manifestations of whatever power he has, but at least you don't have to wonder about whether or not the power of friendship and believing in each other and yourself still works in Ymir.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Endorph posted:

shes cute

Fie is cuter

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm starting to think the only reason I like the characters in Cold Steel less overall is due to voice acting. Not that it's bad or anything, but in FC/SC everyone's voices were in my head and they were way better to me.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Cake Attack posted:

i think she has room to get more interesting in CSII with (endgame spoiler)the assassination of Gilliath Osborne by the coward Crow Armbrust since she seemed pretty attached to gilliath. on the other hand she seemed like she really didn't care much when she realized what was going on, but that's another they could develop her too.

Now that I think about it, it seems weird that she didn't care all that much. Like she was reasonably surprised but not like "oh poo poo oh poo poo they're gonna kill gramps" stunned. Which makes me think that maybe his death was faked? I have no idea if I'm on the right track here, but it's clear that the Reformists had some suspicions about Crow before hand, so it seems weird that they wouldn't have a plan for this just in case scenario. I may just be overthinking it though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Finished Chapter 4 of CS, still a great game. In most ways I think it's just plain more enjoyable than FC, though the villains haven't really done much for me. C is great though, what little I've seen. I have some theories but I'm not reading spoilers so I'll just keep trucking.

I need some recommendations on Master Quartz. I'm keeping Force on Rean since it's almost level 5 now and Gale can reliably regain most of it's cost if not more. I have Sceptre on Laura for her attack where she sucks everyone in then cleaves, though she needs a more combat effective Quartz for when I don't need sepith anymore (i have like 5k of everything now). Moebius looks good and Raven is pretty useful too. Criminal is absurdly powerful on Elliott and Emma has the quartz that heals her when dealing magic damage. Besides that, what's worth using?

EDIT: Also, it was criminal mentioning ch 4 spoiler Mueller without actually showing him. Meeting his dad(?) was pretty cool though.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 13, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's his uncle.

Brave is perfectly good on Laura, or Rean I suppose. Angel is the only starting master quartz that actually seemed bad to me.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Levantine posted:

EDIT: Also, it was criminal mentioning ch 4 spoiler Mueller without actually showing him. Meeting his dad(?) was pretty cool though.

That's his uncle, it's the same dude from the end of Chapter 8 of SC.

Fusbolito McGiggola
Dec 21, 2005
Force, on Rean, combined with the Domination quartz, if you get it in chapter 5, can make Rean one-shot 2/3rds of the encounters in chapter 6 and the epilogue with Gale, and in the encounters he can't, he will still kill enough enemies to make it an ability that earns you CP, instead of costing you CP. Pretty much everything in the final dungeon area takes forever to kill, though, so it might not be worth your while to waste a useful slot past then.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Motto posted:

There's not much to worry about when it comes to Cold Steel, it's just a normal localization job as opposed to the mess that was getting SC working.

I'm still not sure I'd qualify any Trails game as "normal", tbqfh, even if the Cold Steel titles are generally more manageable in terms of size compared to other entries

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

I found the Pandora Master Quartz rather useful for Elliot/Emma since it covers a nice spread of elements on it's own and increases the range and damage of arts. It's only problem is that it increases the EP cost, but I never really had a problem with that thanks to the Ingenuity quartz.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Really Pants posted:

It's his uncle.

Brave is perfectly good on Laura, or Rean I suppose. Angel is the only starting master quartz that actually seemed bad to me.

Angel's auto-revive is a handy safety net sometimes, against those bosses who do nothing half the fight and then throw out something that can pretty much one shot your party.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It might just be bad on Alisa, since enemies seem to focus on the closest targets.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Moebius is supposedly completely broken if you work with it, since maxing it out makes all items AoE. I haven't bothered :v:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Moebius is supposedly completely broken if you work with it, since maxing it out makes all items AoE. I haven't bothered :v:

Mine is halfway to level 5. It seems pretty good but the AoE item thing is apparently broken with some of the stat boosting/healing food. Beyond that, that Tauros Master Quartz seems interesting, but really specific. It seems to increase the damage of regular attacks but also increase the delay. Maybe on someone like Machias who can hit multiple enemies easily it would be good. I dunno.

Zaggitz posted:

That's his uncle, it's the same dude from the end of Chapter 8 of SC.

Ah ok, thanks. So much happened in SC some of the minor characters kind of blurred by.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Megalith's CP regen is stupidly fast. I feel like an idiot for trying to find one weird trick to gain CP when I could have just slapped that on and sat for a few seconds.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Angel is quite good. Even aside from the fact that revive eventually restores 100% health, AND has a CP restore attached, which restores it to max once at lvl 5, it also has a pretty good spell list attached. Starting with a revive spell - in the early game when revive items are still rare and/or expensive - along with having a good selection of Space attack arts ultimately leading up to Cross Crusade is pretty nice.

For me the shittiest starting quartz is probably Canon - i.e. Eliot's. Given craft and item based healing is easy as hell even from the beginning, its primary gimmick being increasing healing from spells is not exactly impressive. And with its art list being pure water, and heavily healing spells, means that its not carrying any particularly hard to find arts either. Admittedly Eliot is also pure poo poo aside from the notable exception of Resounding Beat, so the fact that it starts on him doesn't exactly do it any favors. I don't believe I've seen his final craft yet, but as of ~lvl 50 I don't think I've been interested in using even a single one of them other than Resounding Beat. And if you want an Arts user, both of the girls are better - Emma with a deeper EP pool, and Alisa with far more general utility along with decent Arts use.

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

Really Pants posted:

Megalith's CP regen is stupidly fast. I feel like an idiot for trying to find one weird trick to gain CP when I could have just slapped that on and sat for a few seconds.

Yeah, it's really worth noting exactly how stupidly fast Megalith restores CP. If someone has it on, you will basically guaranteed have 200 CP on whoever has it on by the time you reach the next enemy. Unless you run facefirst at it at the optimal route, then maybe you'll have 180-ish instead :v:

And I found Angel very useful on other, non-Alisa characters, I had it on Emma for the majority of my Hard Mode playthrough and it saved my rear end more than once. Moebius is also really OP if you prepare the right foods, or use it with EP Charge IIIs or the Zeram items.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm finally getting to play Trails FC. Do the ultimate weapons even matter for just a standard run? I think I missed the 1st book already and maybe the 2nd. I'm just getting to the 2nd town

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm still playing SC and have run into an issue with it. When I first started the game I experienced screen tearing (I think?) when running along any map. Basically every few seconds the game would sort of stutter and then catch up with itself, like the game was still running but the screen froze for a split second and then jumped into displaying correctly. This was easily fixed by limiting the fps to 30 in the config. I have now got a new computer that is better than the one I was using before, but I can't stop this from happening no matter what options I select in the config :( Some things seem to help somewhat but it's still always there every few seconds and it's very annoying. Does anyone have any ideas?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nah not at all. In the final dungeon you get ultimate weapons for everyone including estelle and Joshua which are only the smallest bit weaker than the Carnelia weapon

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Elliot is actually super good and is probably my favorite party member? Emma having slightly better EP and better ATS doesn't really matter that much when Elliot has so much more defensive utility (regen is incredible and the def buff affects him as well unlike Emma's equivalent, holy song is really really good) and his sleep craft owns bones, being a set M-size circle so you can generally hit everything with it. Canon is a pretty bad quartz, but his healing utility comes from crafts rather than arts so you can easily swap it out for something like Criminal or Aries. I would put Elliot and Emma on basically the same level, it's just a matter of whether you want to have a more defensive or offensive caster. It's Alisa I have a hard time using, because she's in the awkward position of having physical attack crafts and horribly lovely physical attack, so she's really only good for casting (which Elliot and Emma do better) and being a CP battery. Molten Rain just does embarrassingly bad damage even compared to Elliot and Emma's offensive crafts. She's a really good CP battery, but I find myself wanting to use Jusis or Machias rather than her if I want a supporter.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Elliot is actually super good and is probably my favorite party member? Emma having slightly better EP and better ATS doesn't really matter that much when Elliot has so much more defensive utility (regen is incredible and the def buff affects him as well unlike Emma's equivalent, holy song is really really good) and his sleep craft owns bones, being a set M-size circle so you can generally hit everything with it. Canon is a pretty bad quartz, but his healing utility comes from crafts rather than arts so you can easily swap it out for something like Criminal or Aries. I would put Elliot and Emma on basically the same level, it's just a matter of whether you want to have a more defensive or offensive caster. It's Alisa I have a hard time using, because she's in the awkward position of having physical attack crafts and horribly lovely physical attack, so she's really only good for casting (which Elliot and Emma do better) and being a CP battery. Molten Rain just does embarrassingly bad damage even compared to Elliot and Emma's offensive crafts. She's a really good CP battery, but I find myself wanting to use Jusis or Machias rather than her if I want a supporter.

yes, I thought I was onboard with Emma and that MQ that heals her on magic damage but Elliot stole my heart in Chapter 4 with the Criminal MQ. Phantom Phobia + Cast 2 using it is like near five figure crits on nearly every single enemy on a field with little delay (bosses included). His Craft utility is also great. Defense up and Regen is how I deal with pretty much all boss bullshit.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Nightmare Beat is super good and what I throw out when I want to delay some enemies but I can't do it with regular delay craftss

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My number one problem with Elliot is that I can never remember his name and spent the entire game calling him Ron Weasley.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I knew there was a reason why I gave him the bear buddy. He's Ronnie the Bear!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's Alisa I have a hard time using, because she's in the awkward position of having physical attack crafts and horribly lovely physical attack, so she's really only good for casting (which Elliot and Emma do better) and being a CP battery. Molten Rain just does embarrassingly bad damage even compared to Elliot and Emma's offensive crafts. She's a really good CP battery, but I find myself wanting to use Jusis or Machias rather than her if I want a supporter.

Flamberge is great for farming bravery points off of anything weak to Pierce.

I haven't tried it yet but I'm betting the Force quartz would be pretty good on her, for the STR boost and a few ways to keep her CP up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Paperhouse posted:

I'm still playing SC and have run into an issue with it. When I first started the game I experienced screen tearing (I think?) when running along any map. Basically every few seconds the game would sort of stutter and then catch up with itself, like the game was still running but the screen froze for a split second and then jumped into displaying correctly. This was easily fixed by limiting the fps to 30 in the config. I have now got a new computer that is better than the one I was using before, but I can't stop this from happening no matter what options I select in the config :( Some things seem to help somewhat but it's still always there every few seconds and it's very annoying. Does anyone have any ideas?

Did you fiddle with the Hardware Vertex Shading option? I had stuttering issues myself at first with SC and that option fixed it for me.