Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I'm genuinely surprised there aren't any review sites.

Huh? There are tons of review sites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And sites like CBR aren't much worse than most movie review sites. It's hard for a major release to get under 3 stars, but it does happen. I've definitely seen some 2s and 1s thrown around.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

My issue with sites with reviews is that the reviews tend to be pretty poorly written, assume a certain amount of familiarity (sometimes fairly, sometimes not) with both the character and running story, and, most annoyingly, tend to be crammed with unexamined biases for or against a character, a writer, a topic, an artist, a style, you name it. The end result are reviews where I can't get a reliable feel for whether the book is good or not, nor do I get interesting criticism. The serialized nature of the medium tends to exacerbate the problem, which is something that the far more popular (and therefore lucrative) medium of television still struggles with.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think that's fine as long as you can find a writer who's biases match yours. The idea of a platonic ideal of criticism where all works are judged objectively instead of just getting an idea of if someone who's tastes you agree with enjoyed it or not is a foolish goal.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Huh? There are tons of review sites.

I am rereading my own post and have no idea what the gently caress I was getting at, because you're right, and I know this. I want to say I left out the word "good," but that'd be wrong. I've read reviews! I know they're out there! I cannot explain or justify myself.

Anyway, comics are good. What's the best comic?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Spidey Super Stories.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Worldwatch.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Spidey Super Stories.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Giant-Size Man-Thing.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Gerber's Defenders.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The best comic is either Lee Kirby on F4, or Claremont's X-Men.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The best comic is the 73-page and growing graphic novel I've been creating where I use action figures to represent BSS's greatest posters and take staged photos of them to show all of our adventures.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Lurdiak posted:

I think that's fine as long as you can find a writer who's biases match yours.
To an extent this is true, provided you look to reviews simply as a purchasing guide and hope for the best.

quote:

The idea of a platonic ideal of criticism where all works are judged objectively instead of just getting an idea of if someone who's tastes you agree with enjoyed it or not is a foolish goal.
I guess it's a good thing I didn't argue for that.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Giant-Size Man-Thing.

Someone call me? :smug:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Squizzle posted:

The best comic is the 73-page and growing graphic novel I've been creating where I use action figures to represent BSS's greatest posters and take staged photos of them to show all of our adventures.

Am......am I the villain.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Squizzle posted:

Can I be the guy from reservoir dogs who gets his ear chopped off? Yes, there's action figures, I think McFarlane might be involved in the creation.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Tarot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zachack posted:

To an extent this is true, provided you look to reviews simply as a purchasing guide and hope for the best.

I guess it's a good thing I didn't argue for that.

If you're looking for long-form critique, that's a completely different thing. Most people don't go to movie review sites looking for contrasts between Fritz Lang's use of negative space in the frame and how it informs Michael Bay's chaotic action scenes. They want to know if a person whose opinion they agree with liked the movie, so they will have the best chance of picking one they themselves will like.

And trying to claim that you didn't argue for an objective approach when half your post consisted of complaints about unexamined bias is baffling. What should they do? Pretend they don't like anything? Post a 10 paragraph recap of every film, TV show, comic, novel, song, writer, artist, colourist they've ever enjoyed, hated, met or tweeted at?

As BSS's resident Tarot-ologist, I can confirm that it once featured Abraham Lincoln in a wooden Iron Man suit (with built-in hat) fighting baddies, so this claim checks out.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 13, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Lurdiak posted:

Spidey Super Stories.

Squizzle posted:

I hope you used a body-type accurate figure of The Rock to represent me.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Squizzle posted:

Aw, that's the plot of the fanfic I'm writing.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

WickedHate posted:

Aw, that's the plot of the fanfic I'm writing.

You should work together to create a fan film.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

A Tin Of Beans posted:

You should work together to create a fan film.

Everyone kickstart me a few million dollars, thank you.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Gaz-L posted:

If you're looking for long-form critique, that's a completely different thing. Most people don't go to movie review sites looking for contrasts between Fritz Lang's use of negative space in the frame and how it informs Michael Bay's chaotic action scenes. They want to know if a person whose opinion they agree with liked the movie, so they will have the best chance of picking one they themselves will like.

And trying to claim that you didn't argue for an objective approach when half your post consisted of complaints about unexamined bias is baffling. What should they do? Pretend they don't like anything? Post a 10 paragraph recap of every film, TV show, comic, novel, song, writer, artist, colourist they've ever enjoyed, hated, met or tweeted at?
I'd hope that a professional writer can understand the benefit of operating somewhere between mindless fan and beep boop robot. Examining bias doesn't mean eliminating it, it means recognizing that some of a person's preferences may be too rooted in something specific to be easily conveyed to the reader with a simple declaration of like or dislike, and thus may require more effort from the reviewer to convey those preferences. Examining bias also opens a reviewer up to being challenged by a work and revising or reinforcing their biases through exposure, rather than just reflexively accepting or rejecting something because it checks a box or contains "thing which is bad".

As for long form vs buyers guide, there are plenty of film reviewers who successfully incorporate "what this movie is going for/does/draws from/etc" and "will you have a good time" in a single review, it's not some impossible task.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 13, 2016

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Giant-Size Man-Thing.

Giant-Sized Man-Thing

It will fill the hole inside you and leave you exhausted and aching for more.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Squizzle posted:

Please use an old He-Man toy for me.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

I hope you used a body-type accurate figure of The Rock to represent me.

Close enough.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Squizzle posted:

Close enough.

Okay, now I'm starting to worry about you.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

My lettering will get better. Don't worry.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't know why this isn't already a webcomic.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Squizzle posted:

Close enough.

It's me, I'm the double wristband.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

I don't know why this isn't already a webcomic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ground floor.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
This is it, the golden age of the subforum.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ooh, am I the girl in the blue pants?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can be Superman's legs.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Can I be the dinosaur? I have that one at my parents house. Would love to have that magnetic Magneto too.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Squizzle, you son of a bitch.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
How... how are you doing this

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I can feel the pathos emanating from that Madman figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008