Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Unless wizards also invented time travel, I'm not sure how harping on this point is relevant though

Fair, level headed judgement, and waiting until all the facts are in before making a decision are not recent or amazingly advanced inventions though.

However flying off the handle and having to eat poo poo on your stupidity are pretty old concepts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

I'm contemplating doing the same thing. The store I play at did proxies for modern, so I've got jund except for a few cards that I haven't dropped $600 on. No word on if they are stopping it yet but another store does regular modern that I won't be able to play it at if they do stop.

I'm not telling anyone they're 'proxies'. It's FNM for 4-3-2-1-1-1-1-1-n packs.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

kizudarake posted:

I'm not telling anyone they're 'proxies'. It's FNM for 4-3-2-1-1-1-1-1-n packs.

I wouldn't either. Same kind of deal though. Non-fnm thing though for a little bit of store credit. Usually like 15-20 people.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

You know what sounds wonderful?

Being able to play Jund.

I really want to play Jund.

Maybe I'll buy some proxies too.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

Being able to play Jund.

:siren: I'm Tom cruise from minority report and you're under arrest for a crime you were about to commit

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Even if it didn't come out with a full blown "We're really sorry for messing this up", the wording of the announcement makes clear that they've fully absorbed the need to very clearly communicate very clearly what the stance is around leaks and culpability (the details of which seemed very reasonable from this latest post). The fact that it took like 5 announcements to get it right is par for the course for Wizards, and I guess I'm giving them credit for getting it this right at all, given the low bar. Maybe I should be holding them to some absolute standards, but it's a company run by socially awkward nerds with no business sense catering to an audience of extremely sensitive socially awkward nerds, and I'm fine with this announcement.

Knowing how to proceed down the road doesn't magically undo their gross gently caress up, though. They need to be held to the same standard that you'd hold to any other person or corporation, because otherwise they'll just keep getting to screw up because "Well, WotC, amirite? :unsmith:"

The fact that they admit no fault for their own rash decisions is yet another slap in the face to the community and those who support it. For the most part WotC has just stirred the pot some more, and it's clear there's still a lot of hurt feelings and animosity over their lack of anything close to good community relations.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

A nice man named Feng sold me some pieces of paper that I could use as a stand in for Magic cards for use on my kitchen table, personally, casually.

Now I have two copies of the power nine. Whee!

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I hope none of you dudes get banned I've yet to see a convincing Chinese card, and please mark your proxies so that if somehow they make it out of your posiession some poor sucker doesn't get ripped off later on.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

Being able to play Jund.

I hate playing Modern Jund and Legacy Jund is bad :(

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I have a couple proxies from other sources and they're all clearly marked just for the reason that if something ever happened to them people don't think they're real cards.

That said, someone PM me a good place to acquire some good looking fake cards so I can finish my cube and stop giving WOTC money to play limited.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Also PM where you're ordering from so I can tell WOTC order too.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Amusingly I had just ordered some Chinese proxies for my cube a couple days before this nonsense. The set was for more than my cube needed so I just got some legacy cards cause why not? Really hoping they actually arrive though this is my third attempt.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Expecting wizards to do better when they have an absolutely insane expectations of their player base, is not that unreasonable

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Sharpie some legit Power 9 cards with the word PROXY imo

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Entropic posted:

It's a slippery slope, they're gonna ban unofficial tokens next.

I would be fine with this if it means I don't have to look at ugly SCG player tokens during coverage.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Is this a real card?
Is it just a proxy?
Trampled by rhinos
No escape from WotC
Open your sleeves
Read Blogatog and see
I'm not a newbie, I need no sympathy
Because now it's scry mulligans and NWO
Always high, never low
#mtgfinance doesn't really matter to me
To me

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

whydirt posted:

Is this a real card?
Is it just a proxy?
Trampled by rhinos
No escape from WotC
Open your sleeves
Read Blogatog and see
Always high, never low
To me

Can we make this the thread title?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Black teen shot dead, hero cop claims "I saw him reach into his pocket and pull out a mountain with 'Black Lotus' sharpied over it; That's when I knew I was dealing with a real criminal".

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

RME posted:

Black teen shot dead, hero cop claims "I saw him reach into his pocket and pull out a mountain with 'Black Lotus' sharpied over it; That's when I knew I was dealing with a real criminal".

Would this fall under the Secret Service's jurisdiction?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

kirtar posted:

ill consult my FBI themed edh deck

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

RME posted:

It's totally "edgy" poo poo like this that makes all you dumb nerds get ripped off by these legitimate businessmen chinese counterfeiters you're apparently so eager to give your payment information to. Because government violence towards minorities is totally the same thing as some dumb game stores making you swap out some cards in your deck!

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

whydirt posted:

Is this a real card?
Is it just a proxy?
Trampled by rhinos
No escape from WotC
Open your sleeves
Read Blogatog and see
Always high, never low
To me

Holy poo poo.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

whydirt posted:

Is this a real card?
Is it just a proxy?
Trampled by rhinos
No escape from WotC
Open your sleeves
Read Blogatog and see
Always high, never low
To me

More of this please.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

alansmithee posted:

It's totally "edgy" poo poo like this that makes all you dumb nerds get ripped off by these legitimate businessmen chinese counterfeiters you're apparently so eager to give your payment information to. Because government violence towards minorities is totally the same thing as some dumb game stores making you swap out some cards in your deck!

Was this ironically stupid or

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

alansmithee posted:

Because government violence towards minorities is totally the same thing as some dumb game stores making you swap out some cards in your deck!

True

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

alansmithee posted:

At least I'm not claiming I'm going to quit magic because of it. Really, what put me over the top into deciding to proxy was that to run UR Delver, I'd need to pay 700 bucks for the 11 cards I don't already have. gently caress that.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

alansmithee posted:

drat, you really showed all those people who legitimately thought that the proxy stuff was the same as government violence towards minorities, and definitely weren't just making jokes or anything like that

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 14, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

little munchkin posted:

drat, you really showed all those people who legitimately thought that the proxy stuff was the same as government violence for minorities, and definitely weren't just making jokes or anything like that

I agree paying $70 for nearly worthless cardboard (but well-printed i guess) is the right move here.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Zoness posted:

I agree paying $70 for nearly worthless cardboard (but well-printed i guess) is the right move here.

the cardboard is actually worth a lot more money, so you're making a profit when you only play 70$

thats called "value"

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

kirtar posted:

Holy poo poo, that's brilliant.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

kirtar posted:

Lowtax doesn't need that poo poo again.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Being able to play Jund.

I have Jund and it's not as exciting as you think. I'm probably going f to sell it to get a gaming laptop and buy into some jank modern pike or buy proxies to play with my friends. I do want to try that silly norin sisters deck

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

whydirt posted:

Is this a real card?
Is it just a proxy?
Trampled by rhinos
No escape from WotC
Open your sleeves
Read Blogatog and see
Always high, never low
To me

:aaaaa:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

alansmithee posted:

Fyi, none of the websites I found are you paying the seller directly. Its basically amazon for overseas things and is certified merchant. You have just as much chance to be ripped off from any other 3rd party involved retailer.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

whydirt posted:

Is this a real card?
Is it just a proxy?
Trampled by rhinos
No escape from WotC
Open your sleeves
Read Blogatog and see
Always high, never low
To me

Maro~! Just banned a judge~!

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Maro~! Just banned a judge~!

Put a spoiler in the chat
Took a screenshot now he's banned

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
But I'm just a poor boy and can't pay the entry fee
He's just a poor boy without a near GP
Spare him his life from this monotony
Easy come easy go will you let me go
Grizzlebrand! No, we will not let you go

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

tgijsola posted:

Put a spoiler in the chat
Took a screenshot now he's banned

Jarrett has a DCI put aside for me, for me, for meeeeeee.

So you think you can gg me and shuffe post-side?
So you think you can ban me and leave me to drop?
Oh, Judge, you can't do this to me Judge!
Just gotta get out, just gotta get right outta here.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I pithing needled naming post but it actually meant the post but-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Zoness posted:

That's a SBE not a trigger.

No one is going to refute that it's not an SBE it's a replacement effect?

• Locked thread