Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Subyng posted:

What a douche, congrats on owning that mentally ill person by slamming their head into concrete

Welcome to boston kehd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Whats my best move when someone is in my guard and has their hands on my biceps and sort of pins me down?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Look him in the eyes and kiss him

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nierbo posted:

Whats my best move when someone is in my guard and has their hands on my biceps and sort of pins me down?

Couldn't you swim both hands under their arms, reach up to break their grips & take an over hook while raising your legs into a high guard on their shoulders?

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Nierbo posted:

if they're putting a lot of weight forward, could be an opening to sweep them. If they're kinda sitting more towards their base and just extending their arms really far, could also try to free one arm and then trap the other in place -> go for an armbar

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
double post

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Novum posted:

Look him in the eyes and kiss him
No, this was DURING class

ICHIBAHN posted:

Couldn't you swim both hands under their arms, reach up to break their grips & take an over hook while raising your legs into a high guard on their shoulders?
Yeah I was sorta trying but would either get flattened or he'd pass as I tried to triangle.

Mr. Pool posted:

if they're putting a lot of weight forward, could be an opening to sweep them. If they're kinda sitting more towards their base and just extending their arms really far, could also try to free one arm and then trap the other in place -> go for an armbar
Am I supposed to have an underhook to get the arm bar from guard? I find simply trying to hold their forearm against my chest doesn't work that well

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nierbo posted:

Am I supposed to have an underhook to get the arm bar from guard? I find simply trying to hold their forearm against my chest doesn't work that well

In GI control his sleeve with opposite side arm. In no GI control his wrist.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Nierbo posted:

Pummel for an overhook and then do Overhook Things (triangle setups, basically)

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Nierbo posted:

No, this was DURING class
Yeah I was sorta trying but would either get flattened or he'd pass as I tried to triangle.

Dont triangle if you dont have any control over the guys posture or youll probably get passed as you try

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ICHIBAHN posted:

Question for ye: what percentage of white belts make it to blue, do you think? Someone asked this in class today of our trainer [purple belt]. I would say, in my gym, Gracie Barra, around 10% We have a very high turnover, I've noticed a LOT of people come for a few weeks and stop. Promotions are only a few times a year & in them belt promotions are normally a handful of guys. He has a lot more experience in the gym than me obviously and he said about 50%. What's it like in your place?

10% seems about right (not counting people who come once or twice and then are never seen again, with them included it is probably more like 2%). I don't think even brown to black is 50%. And somebody who gets to brown is way less likely to quit than a one stripe white belt.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Jibes with Rener's estimates which were:
10% White to Blue
1% Blue all the way to Black

Seems about right I guess idk

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Rener also estimated that Royler was dominating Eddie Bravo, though

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Rener also estimated that Royler was dominating Eddie Bravo, though
I knew I should've added a Rener disclaimer. :smith:
But yeah I could watch the Eddie Bravo match with my own eyes, I have to take someone else's word for it when making estimates on the totality of white belt nation.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jan 11, 2016

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rener also says that White Belt is the bigger achievement becuase while 1 in 10 white belts becomes a blue belt, only like 7 million people have ever tried BJJ so that means only 1 in 1000 people ever makes White Belt. :doh:

we need an :jockwords: emote. It be muscled up variation of :downswords:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

CommonShore posted:

Rener also says that White Belt is the bigger achievement becuase while 1 in 10 white belts becomes a blue belt, only like 7 million people have ever tried BJJ so that means only 1 in 1000 people ever makes White Belt. :doh:

we need an :jockwords: emote. It be muscled up variation of :downswords:

That's dumb but I understand the intended message and it's pretty positive.

Also, totally a salesman's statement haha.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Xguard86 posted:

That's dumb but I understand the intended message and it's pretty positive.

Also, totally a salesman's statement haha.

Oh yeah totally a salesman statement. He used it as an intro to a "we need to get more people into the dojo and we need to treat our white belts as VIPs!" speech (translation: go do more work so I make more money). He said it in the same voice that he uses for explaining how his coconut water is the best coconut water ever because they take it straight from the coconut to the carton and it never touches air and that makes it a superfood and more hydrating than water.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

CommonShore posted:

Oh yeah totally a salesman statement. He used it as an intro to a "we need to get more people into the dojo and we need to treat our white belts as VIPs!" speech (translation: go do more work so I make more money). He said it in the same voice that he uses for explaining how his coconut water is the best coconut water ever because they take it straight from the coconut to the carton and it never touches air and that makes it a superfood and more hydrating than water.

Christ, what a waste of air.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Odddzy posted:

Christ, what a waste of air.

http://youtu.be/r0liQY4k4W4

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Really hoping to squeeze in some college judo into my tight schedule this semester. One two-hour night a week isn't ideal, but it's better than nothing, right?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Isn't this how orange juice works? Lol if you don't fresh squeeze.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Cephas posted:

Really hoping to squeeze in some college judo into my tight schedule this semester. One two-hour night a week isn't ideal, but it's better than nothing, right?

Absolutely. Progress will be slow but you'll still have fun.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Cephas posted:

if you do what you can when you can, it will work out. Very few people do this stuff professionally, the rest of us are squeezing it into the corners.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Judowns, do it.

First newaza randori this year. Managed to stay pretty well on top... Of the small, light members. People my size kept giving me a hard time, but I don't feel like dying or puking so I'd say it was a good session. Even got a few tactical pointers. :kimchi:

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

A single act of carelessness leads to the eternal loss of beauty

KidDynamite posted:

Anyone familiar with Renzo's place in Newark, NJ? I've got the itch to roll again.

My friend George goes there, anything in particular you want to know?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
ugh i think im starting to get cauli on my right ear

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Slaapaav posted:

drain early, drain often

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Slaapaav posted:

Buy some headgear. $20 to never have cauliflower ear again.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Make it worse on purpose

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Some really good fencers made a short film using HEMA techniques. These guys are, in my opinion, the best representation of what this type of fencing looked like at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt_tGmkfaGs

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
In that vein, this is cool, if they use good training methods:
https://www.facebook.com/boston/videos/10153912059489365/
I can't tell much from the combat shown.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

There's a video where he makes a grilled cheese sandwich and then does a fistpump as he dips it into soup.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Well I going back in. I took 8 years of TKD under the tutelage of Young Seon Seo( Legit 9th Dan) about 20 years ago, got out of it at 16 when I discovered driving and chasing women. I will be taking Kenpo from this guy http://www.logansmartialarts.com
I vetted him as much as I could and he appears to be the real deal. I'm excited!!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

The Gracie family secret is using a goddamn cheese cloth. :catstare: I feel like people who are really good at punch/hug sports need to stop giving advice on everything not punching or hugging people

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

This guy visited 66 gyms over 22 weeks. Seems like quite the road trip.

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

These guys look like the Chute Boxe of HEMA. Glorious.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Farking Bastage posted:

Well I going back in. I took 8 years of TKD under the tutelage of Young Seon Seo( Legit 9th Dan) about 20 years ago, got out of it at 16 when I discovered driving and chasing women. I will be taking Kenpo from this guy http://www.logansmartialarts.com
I vetted him as much as I could and he appears to be the real deal. I'm excited!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tKuNcrew8E

lmao

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I saw some people in karate gis in a shopping centre yesterday trying to attract new customers to their dojo, and I can't help but notice how much dorkier people look in karate/tkd gis than people in bjj or judo gis. I have no idea why this is. Is it just the way they're cut, or is it in the way they stand or something?

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Oh man. The crash test dummy selling the mock punches and kicks.

Like I get that when sensei is showing the joint locks, you don't fight it so he can show the class how it's supposed to go and where they're supposed to line up the joints.

e: Lol, skipped through it, @ 12:00
Voice over
"A lot of people do training without contact, no touching, you can't do that in self-defense."
Video
A room of people slowly moving an arm into a weird rear end armbar, mimes awful form hammerfist/punch thing toward face while going "hoo."
"A lot of people train silly techniques that only work because they have a willing student who falls down for them."
Lol.

double e: It gets better! 12:40 "Don't fall for me, fight it!"
Student takes long overhead stab thing, freezes as sensei touches his arm.

"That's it! That's realistic"

What are you looking to get out of this Farking?

the JJ fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Fitness more than anything.

• Locked thread