Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

zoux posted:

Guys I just thought of a US law that was about race.

I thought of one too, but I bet it's a different one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

Guys I just thought of a US law that was about race.

Was it the one where you could have people of some races but not others as property?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pick posted:

Was it the one where you could have people of some races but not others as property?

Ok I thought of two.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Pick posted:

That's only three-fifths of a law.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I think in world war 2 a bunch of people of a certain ancestry were rounded up and sent to camps or something?

gently caress, why am I even doing this, this is shooting fish in a barrel where the barrel is so big you can fit inside it, completely surrounded by dead fish.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think in world war 2 a bunch of people of a certain ancestry were rounded up and sent to camps or something?

gently caress, why am I even doing this, this is shooting fish in a barrel where the barrel is so big you can fit inside it, completely surrounded by dead fish.

that was an executive action it doesn't count

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
To be fair to Haley, she was apparently speaking in the context of immigration law when she said that. (She's still wrong, though, as the linked article points out.)

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Guys I just thought 3/5'ths of a US law that was about race.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "We’ve never in the history of this country passed any laws or done anything based on race or religion." ~ Governor Nikki Haley (R-SC)

The worst part is that the next sentence is "Let's not start now," which means she was trying to help but the stupid drowned out everything else :sigh:

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Guys, I found one!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Exclusion_Act

Given how subtle the title of the bill was it took a long time to track down.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

DaveWoo posted:

To be fair to Haley, she was apparently speaking in the context of immigration law when she said that. (She's still wrong, though, as the linked article points out.)

But it's so, so, so wrong. Like the entirety of US immigration law has been entirely about race (sometimes through threadbare proxies like nationality) since the beginning.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

berzerker posted:

But it's so, so, so wrong. Like the entirety of US immigration law has been entirely about race (sometimes through threadbare proxies like nationality) since the beginning.

Including the bit in the constitution about how we couldn't ban forcefully immigrating people for twenty years.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

I prefer the phrase 'Trout in a shot glass'. You seriously can't loving miss that.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Xae posted:

Guys, I found one!

Uhh, that was obviously about fangs and not race. :rolleyes:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rick_Hunter posted:

I prefer the phrase 'Trout in a shot glass'. You seriously can't loving miss that.

Nikki Haley could.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbqtAuT4zbk

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DaveWoo posted:

Even reading it in context, I think it's somewhat ambiguous whether she is talking only about immigration. In fact, the transition itself is kind of weird I think.

edit: either way, she said something pretty shocking in a country that has been torn by racial strife in almost every aspect of its existence, so she should have been absolutely bulletproof with the language.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 14, 2016

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Even reading it in context, I think it's somewhat ambiguous whether she is talking only about immigration. In fact, the transition itself is kind of weird I think.

edit: either way, she said something pretty shocking in a country that has been torn by racial strife in almost every aspect of its existence, so she should have been absolutely bulletproof with the language.

There's no such thing as bulletproof when you're fighting tyranny. There's only 'Shoot first, ask questions later'. :clint:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
http://newsone.com/3324212/no-indictment-mississippi-cop-choked-man/

No Indictment For Mississippi Cop Who Fatally Strangled Unarmed Black Man

quote:

grand jury in Clarke County, Mississippi has decided not to charge a police officer in the death of Jonathan Sanders, an unarmed Black man who was placed in a chokehold by officer Kevin Herrington last summer.

The Clarion-Ledger reports Herrington had reasonable suspicion that Sanders was involved with drug activity, and excessive force was warranted in the arrest. The July 8 incident began when Sanders made a comment to Herrington, who had pulled over a drunk driver. Witnesses say Herrington allegedly said “I’m going to get that friend of the family,” and placed Sanders in a chokehold for over twenty minutes as he waited for backup.

Chokwe Lumumba, an attorney for the Sanders family, tells The Guardian:

“Witness 1 saw officer Herrington’s blue lights come on,” said Lumumba. “Jonathan’s horse reared up, startled, and knocked Jonathan off his horse. His light slipped around his neck. Jonathan ran to get the horse and Officer Herrington came from behind him, yanked him down to the ground in front of the house with the light strap and placed him in a chokehold. Jonathan didn’t even see him.”

“I never saw him go for the officer,” said Witness 1, who was quickly joined by Witnesses 2 and 3, according to the attorneys.
They said Herrington held Sanders face-down on the ground and placed his arms around Sanders’ neck to restrain him.

Witness 3, who the attorneys said has law enforcement experience, told investigators he ran outside to see what was going on and told Herrington: “‘Let him up; he won’t be able to breathe in my grass because my grass is too high,’” said Lumumba. Witness 2, who had also moved outside, said he or she then heard Sanders twice say “I can’t breathe”.

Sanders’ family claimed he died at the scene, while paramedics declared he passed at a local hospital. After administrators sat Sanders upright, blood rushed out of his mouth, The Guardian writes. State medical examiners ruled his death a homicide, noting the 39-year-old died from manual asphyxiation.

The grand jury also discredited claims that the police officer used racial slurs during his encounter with Sanders. All witnesses and Sanders’ mother testified before the grand jury, a practice not normally used in grand jury proceedings.

I got nothing

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

I got nothing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5gRIud57jQ

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVQjGGJVSXc

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Sounds about right.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Sounds about right.
This is even better if you're aware of how lovely Duke Nukem Forever was.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Fried Chicken posted:

All witnesses and Sanders’ mother testified before the grand jury, a practice not normally used in grand jury proceedings.

He was stopped for drunk driving on a horse? The article is lacking in details. It sounds like the guy was stopped for drunk driving suspicion while on horseback. The horse spooked when the cop lit him up, and threw Sanders to the ground. He got up and tried to peruse his fleeing horse, and was tackled from behind. He was then held with an arm around his neck, and face to the ground for over 20 minutes waiting for backup to arrive. When he was allowed to get up he was unconscious and blood was pooled in his mouth. Paramedics declared him dead at the hospital. A grand jury then found this a reasonable execution of force and did chose not to indict.

:sigh:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

This is even better if you're aware of how lovely Duke Nukem Forever was.

Yeah, but John St. John is a national treasure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4glr1LhnNo&t=48s

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Sword of Chomsky posted:

He was stopped for drunk driving on a horse? The article is lacking in details. It sounds like the guy was stopped for drunk driving suspicion while on horseback. The horse spooked when the cop lit him up, and threw Sanders to the ground. He got up and tried to peruse his fleeing horse, and was tackled from behind. He was then held with an arm around his neck, and face to the ground for over 20 minutes waiting for backup to arrive. When he was allowed to get up he was unconscious and blood was pooled in his mouth. Paramedics declared him dead at the hospital. A grand jury then found this a reasonable execution of force and did chose not to indict.

At least we can pinpoint the blame on the citizens of Clarke County.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Rick_Hunter posted:

At least we can pinpoint the blame on the citizens of Clarke County.

or the prosecution, hard to say without more details.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fried Chicken posted:

I got nothing

Execute all police and replace them with robots.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Sword of Chomsky posted:

or the prosecution, hard to say without more details.

The jury at least decided even with the eyewitness and mother's testimony that the crime wasn't a crime. The 'jury''s still out on the prosecution.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

this_is_hard posted:

the reality of it is the Clinton campaign's attacks on Bernie regarding healthcare are hilariously false though??

Not according to cnn:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/13/politics/bernie-sanders-hillary-clinton-health-care-plan/index.html

Apparently he pledged to release details of his health plan before the caucuses but is now saying he won't release a detailed plan in time for primary voters to dissect it.

quote:

"Senator Sanders has some very big ideas, but he hasn't yet told anybody how he would pay for them," Clinton told CNN's Alisyn Camerota earlier this week. "And he had promised that he would roll out his tax plans before the Iowa caucus on February 1. Well, if you wait too long, nobody will have a chance to see them or analyze them."

This means, btw, that bernistas don't know what they are defending and are sort of doing a bizarro-TPP in which they assume the unseen thing is wonderful instead of horrible.

Also he made a pledge not to raise taxes on the middle class to fund health care but the numbers for what he is promising simply don't work without it so Hillary is calling bullshit and saying he can't keep both pledges at once.

Why are Hillary opponents allowed to promise contradictory/impossible things and when Hillary points this out she is the one called crazy?

Obama pulled the same bs just more plausibly than Bernie is.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

McAlister posted:

Not according to cnn:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/13/politics/bernie-sanders-hillary-clinton-health-care-plan/index.html

Apparently he pledged to release details of his health plan before the caucuses but is now saying he won't release a detailed plan in time for primary voters to dissect it.

This means, btw, that bernistas don't know what they are defending and are sort of doing a bizarro-TPP in which they assume the unseen thing is wonderful instead of horrible.

Also he made a pledge not to raise taxes on the middle class to fund health care but the numbers for what he is promising simply don't work without it so Hillary is calling bullshit and saying he can't keep both pledges at once.

Why are Hillary opponents allowed to promise contradictory/impossible things and when Hillary points this out she is the one called crazy?

Obama pulled the same bs just more plausibly than Bernie is.

the numbers work when you raise the income tax on the upper brackets to 110%. they might work before that too, but they definitely work then

BloodFeastIslandMan
Jul 30, 2005
What are you doing here?

Sword of Chomsky posted:

The cop stopped someone on suspicion of DUI and the guy told the cop to leave him alone as he rode past. Cop abandoned the traffic stop to chase him down and choke him to death.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Sounds about right.

least he told them to gently caress off.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

BloodFeastIslandMan posted:

The cop stopped someone on suspicion of DUI and the guy told the cop to leave him alone as he rode past. Cop abandoned the traffic stop to chase him down and choke him to death.

Welp, why am I not surprised.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Wait, was the guy the cop chased down on a horse? Or was the cop on the horse?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Xae posted:

Guys, I found one!

Yeah, this was the first thing I thought of, including several others (eg Operation Wetback with Eisenhower).

Then again, this involves a passing understanding of US history at all, which I presume is outside the grasp of the Republican Truth and Reality Correction Zone™. :shrug:

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
If it wasn't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that night being choked to death by a Mississippi cop.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Sounds about right.

What could have been...

BloodFeastIslandMan
Jul 30, 2005
What are you doing here?

Hollismason posted:

Wait, was the guy the cop chased down on a horse? Or was the cop on the horse?

The cop was in a car, the dead man was actually on a horse drawn carriage. I should have just linked to an article, this is from right after the incident. http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jul/15/jonathan-sanders-mississppi-chokehold

quote:

The version of events given by witnesses, they said, is that Sanders was riding by a gas station on a horse-drawn buggy at about 10.30pm when he made a comment to Herrington, who had pulled over a driver. The attorneys said this driver had told them he was drunk and his registration tags had expired.

The driver said his stop was abandoned when Sanders asked Herrington “Why don’t you leave that man alone?” or similar, said Lumumba. “According to the driver, once the officer saw Jonathan, his attention was piqued and he said: ‘I’m going to get that friend of the family.’”

The attorneys said investigators from the MBI had informed them they were aware of the alleged racist remark and were in communication with the driver.

Lumumba said a person they call Witness 1 was standing at the window of a nearby home seeking signal for a cellphone when he or she saw Sanders approaching on his buggy, wearing a light on a headband similar to those used by climbers.

“Then, Witness 1 saw officer Herrington’s blue lights come on,” said Lumumba. “Jonathan’s horse reared up, startled, and knocked Jonathan off his horse. His light slipped around his neck. Jonathan ran to get the horse and Officer Herrington came from behind him, yanked him down to the ground in front of the house with the light strap and placed him in a chokehold. Jonathan didn’t even see him.”

Early reports said witnesses had thought Sanders was choked with some kind of flashlight, which attorneys now believe was a reference to the head-mounted light.

“I never saw him go for the officer,” said Witness 1, who was quickly joined by Witnesses 2 and 3, according to the attorneys. They said Herrington held Sanders face-down on the ground and placed his arms around Sanders’ neck to restrain him.

Witness 3, who the attorneys said has law enforcement experience, told investigators he ran outside to see what was going on and told Herrington: “‘Let him up; he won’t be able to breathe in my grass because my grass is too high,’” said Lumumba. Witness 2, who had also moved outside, said he or she then heard Sanders twice say “I can’t breathe”.

The witnesses said Herrington was shouting to them that Sanders was reaching for his gun, despite the 39-year-old being unable to reach the weapon. The officer initially asked Witness 3 to help remove the gun from his belt, before changing his mind and asking for a woman who had been travelling with him in his patrol car to come out and remove the gun with Witness 3’s guidance.

“The chokehold had been going on the entire time,” said Lumumba, who noted that Eric Garner died in about three minutes when placed in a chokehold by a police officer in New York City last year, prompting months of protests.

“Witness 3 was saying ‘Let him up, let him up, he’s not breathing, let me do CPR’,” said Lumumba. “He is trained in CPR and had a mask in his home. But Herrington said ‘No, stand back’.”

This seems to be the best sequence of events i could find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Now I can't stop hearing Duke say "He'll build a wall and make Mexico pay for it."

• Locked thread