Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Y- Yeah!

Yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhhh Boooooiiiiiiii!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
With this, there are now: 2 things I am likely to buy from VC.

Where's my Mario RPG, NoA? :argh:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Amiibo are good-quality figurines of things that often don't have good-quality figurines. They can sometimes unlock something neat in games. That's fine. Wishing for future games to have stuff locked behind amiibo just to justify your purchase is broken.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I think back and laugh that I got bayonetta 1&2 for 20 dollars at gamestop when they were having a sale. :allears:

it's gone into Earthbound/Xenoblade Chronicles Price Territory.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raserys posted:

I can't believe they ignored Wario's shoulder charge again

Some of us see it everyday ^_^

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Tender Bender posted:

Amiibo are good-quality figurines of things that often don't have good-quality figurines. They can sometimes unlock something neat in games. That's fine. Wishing for future games to have stuff locked behind amiibo just to justify your purchase is broken.

This Pink Yarn Yoshi thing I got is literally perfect, I just look up on my desk and see it sitting there all fuzzy and stuff, it's adorable. They need more yarn amiibos since they're ten times better than the figurines (which are still cool)

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Zero Mission is great!!

Which is why i've played through it 3 times already

*realization that there basically hasn't been a worthwhile new metroid game in 8 years*

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Fill the void with Super Metroid romhacks and learn to hate yourself.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Polo-Rican posted:

*realization that there basically hasn't been a worthwhile new metroid game in 8 years*

That's how long it was between Super Metroid and Metroid Prime, so that can only mean Blast Ball Federation will be great, right?

:negative:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Suspicious Cook posted:

That's how long it was between Super Metroid and Metroid Prime, so that can only mean Blast Ball Federation will be great, right?

:negative:

Blast Ball is a first person version of rocket league that moves slow as hell and is less fun.

it feels like it should have been a free game because of just how featureless and lacking it is in all areas.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The Taint Reaper posted:

Blast Ball is a first person version of rocket league that moves slow as hell and is less fun.

it feels like it should have been a free game because of just how featureless and lacking it is in all areas.

Well it basically is, it's a mode they're slapping a skin on and tossing into another game entirely, which has only been shown in pre-alpha and wasn't even playable on the show floor last time it was seen over six months ago.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

bef posted:

Some of us see it everyday ^_^

RIP

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Playing through Shovel Knight for the umpteenth time with Shovy the amiibo. This has probably become my favorite "8-bit" platformer of all time. The Miiverse posts are just too cute. "I love shovels" and a whole lot of other kids who can't spell "shovle" and/or "kight".

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

FPzero posted:

Honestly the way to best satisfy the amiibo gated content argument would be to have the content and just put it up as a dlc unlockable. Either pay $13 for the amiibo and get all the stuff it unlocks for that $13 or pay $2-5 per game without the amiibo. Seems like that would be the smartest decision.

This is probably the best compromise I've heard. I purposefully only have two amiibo because I just don't have the space to keep a bunch of figurines, but I would feel bummed if a significant part of a game was gated to me.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Mario Maker uses them well I think, poo poo you can unlock but you can get the stuff related to your amiibos early.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

I just played it on my PSP because they hadn't released it yet and I was tired of waiting. I'll probably still buy it.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Saoshyant posted:

Actually, that is a good idea. Since some amiibos can actually be used on more than one game some people would start claiming they were saving money by buying the amiibo instead of three DLC packs (that they were likely not going to buy anyway but that's how the human mind works).

According to my amiibo collecting app (shut up I need it), several currently released amiibo have up to 9 compatible games. Those are the various Marios, DKs, Luigis, Yoshis, and Peaches. It's the same nine games for all of them: Ace Combat: AHL Plus, Captain Toad, Chibi Robo Zip Lash, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart 8, Mario Party 10, Mario Tennis Ultra Smash, Super Mario Maker, and Smash. I didn't say all nine games were winners. Or that they used amiibo in exciting ways. But there you have it.

Personally you can count me in as someone who would like a game just for amiibo (and not some stupid rear end Animal Crossing cash in game either). I have 56 of the things with more on the way. I really like them and I enjoy collecting them but it would be really cool to have a game that utilizes all of them a la Disney Infinity. I don't mind the money I spent but you can always do more, yeah?

But using them as DLC unlocks would be fine too. Let's say there is going to be DLC for Pokken Tournament. They are going to add a new fighter. Instead of paying for it, if you have a Pokemon amiibo, you can scan it and get the DLC. But if there is another DLC character later, you would have to scan a different Pokemon amiibo. The cost of the amiibo is more than the cost of the character, most likely. But it would make somebody who already had a Pokemon amiibo feel like they had gotten a deal. Of course, they would never do that because Pokken Tournament isn't a first party title. I can maybe see them doing something like that with a first party title because the money lost on the DLC purchase would be going to Nintendo anyway via the amiibo purchase. Anyway it was just an example.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Suspicious Cook posted:

I hate the aesthetic of Federation but gameplay-wise the footage looked like it captured the feeling of Prime's physics...I'm cautiously optimistic about it. I wouldn't be surprised if the next time we see it it looks really good against all expectations, like how Mario Maker amped the gently caress up between the two E3s it was shown at

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's getting a big retooling due to the reception and the fact that we haven't seen anything from it since.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's getting a big retooling due to the reception and the fact that we haven't seen anything from it since.

It'll end up being canceled in lieu of a console exclusive Metroid title, a re-skinned Punch-Out!! taking place in the Metroid universe. You play as Samus as she punches her way to the top of the Strongest Woman in the Universe Championship. Luckily even though Samus is taller than Little Mac, all her opponents will be gigantic alien bests so it still works out scale-wise.

Doc Louis is replaced by Anthony Higgins.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

nerdbot posted:

I hate the aesthetic of Federation but gameplay-wise the footage looked like it captured the feeling of Prime's physics...I'm cautiously optimistic about it. I wouldn't be surprised if the next time we see it it looks really good against all expectations, like how Mario Maker amped the gently caress up between the two E3s it was shown at

Does anyone really want a multiplayer FPS that plays like a Prime game, though? Like, who actually thinks the shooting was Prime's strong point and is something that can carry an entire game?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Does anyone really want a multiplayer FPS that plays like a Prime game, though? Like, who actually thinks the shooting was Prime's strong point and is something that can carry an entire game?

There's probably still a small cache of people who use whatever custom machinations they can to play Hunters online even after the service went down a while ago.

Even with a plethora of other shooter options and they're still playing Hunters.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

If you make the game from the ground up with mutliplayer in mind, sure. Its weapons and their abilities from single player were totally broken in a multiplayer setting. But a multiplayer Metroid game with decent balance would be really neat in my opinion. Echoes multiplayer had potential that wasn't fully realized. Part of it was the single stick control scheme making Lock-Ons the only really feasible way of hitting your opponent. When Trilogy released I played a bit of the multiplayer and being able to move and shoot at the same time made locking on much less necessary and was more fun. It wasn't more balanced but it was more fun. Series-unique items like morph ball, spider ball and grapple beam were also really fun to use in multiplayer, as was the Gravity Boost in the underwater level because it essentially gave players limited jetpacks to play with.

Federation Force won't play like Echoes multiplayer did but I'd certainly take another multiplayer attached to a Prime game as long as it's well-developed and balanced.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I mean, it's co-op, right? If it was versus or competitive then I'd be pretty sour on it (Hunters was ok but I don't really want another one) but I can see the appeal to exploring a bunch of Metroid worlds with some friends.

They won't do it like this, but the idea of one big Metroid map where four players are exploring independently of each other, and the powerups you get sync to all four players, is my dream game

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I hope you're all happy.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I think that's why they rolled with Blast Ball instead of just shooting each other, because it's not very hard to just lock onto someone and shoot at them. But actually having to not-shoot sometimes like you would in soccer gives it some strategy. And hitting the ball at certain angles will change it's trajectory. Metroid Prime's controls are actually really good when they're applied properly.

It's not what I wanted but I understand what they're (were?) going for

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

why would it play like primes 1 and 2?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Come to think of it, why aren't they making Amiibos out of the Minis figures?

Those are adorable but does the new mario vs donkey kong game require them to actually play because that's a shame, I like the mvsdk games because theyre a fun cheap puzzle series and amiibos arent cheap soooo

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

FirstAidKite posted:

Those are adorable but does the new mario vs donkey kong game require them to actually play because that's a shame, I like the mvsdk games because theyre a fun cheap puzzle series and amiibos arent cheap soooo

You need at least one amiibo to play and there's content that can only be unlocked/played with specific characters, yes.

Looper posted:

why would it play like primes 1 and 2?

I don't mean they have the same goofy z-target aiming as the GC games, I'm talking about general gunfeel: dead simple weapons that look and feel like nerf guns, big dumb enemies that take lots of hits and barely react to being shot, that sort of thing.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Has Nintendo given any details on the Pokemon game they're releasing? I can't help but wonder if they're going to switch things up and do a console release for the series.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

You need at least one amiibo to play and there's content that can only be unlocked/played with specific characters, yes.

drat, gently caress that poo poo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Has Nintendo given any details on the Pokemon game they're releasing? I can't help but wonder if they're going to switch things up and do a console release for the series.

Nooooo. Mainline pokemon is never coming to a home console. They've said as much on mutiple occasions, because half the gimmick is getting kids socializing by trading pokemon on the playground with eachother.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Which game? If you're talking about Pokken Tournament, that's coming to Wii U.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nooooo. Mainline pokemon is never coming to a home console. They've said as much on mutiple occasions, because half the gimmick is getting kids socializing by trading pokemon on the playground with eachother.

If the NX really is a hybrid system then we will get a mainline console game kinda.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 14, 2016

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Now everyone can move on to complaining about Daisy not being in Smash Bros.!

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Now everyone can move on to complaining about Daisy not being in Smash Bros.!

Just imagine that at this moment they've been trying to construct a King K. Rool Mystery Mushroom costume for a while to placate fans like they have with Ashley, Waluigi, etc. but they simply can't contain his majesty within the limitations they're working with.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i am

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ah. Makes sense, I guess.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

No "Hi I'm Daisy", no sale.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Bruceski posted:

No "Hi I'm Daisy", no sale.

it plays if you die as her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Remember how much trouble Narcissa had against John Numbers at the NWC? Well, I have bad news...

http://kotaku.com/one-of-the-worlds-best-speedrunners-cant-speedrun-anymo-1752274907

• Locked thread