Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Keith Atherton posted:

Beach Cliff is the only brand I don't think I will buy again.

It's weird how subjective dine tastes are. Beachcliff being, by far, my favorite of the el cheapo dines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

told my dad to get me some dines at costco and he got boneless and skinless (cmon dad....) but they were half the price of regular king oscars in the grocery store so i guess theyll do

its kind of annoying how they all fall to pieces without the skin and bones holding the whole bundle together

harissa is by far the best hot sauce for 'dines. its tasty and it doesnt make a mess

e: also it comes in a tube like toothpaste. thats dad as gently caress

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 10, 2016

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Ceciltron posted:

Had some KO sardines with jalapenos over a bed of my favorite new crop japanese rice (kokuho rose) the other day. Good stuff. Nice blend of heat and vinegar. It made of the rice leftover a tasty finish to a nice main part of the meal.

Jalapeno dines n rice is the best drat lunch ever and I will fight all who disagree.

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
I bought some kippers AND smoked salmon today. Living life to the fullest.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

What about canned mackerel, thread? The kind that comes like this? Delicious? Too fishy to be used unless desperate?

Also: 500 degree f-eggs featuring KO & smoked oysters aww yeah :chef:

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Avocado confirmed best side for the cheaper sardines. Really takes the edge off.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Late night snack.

Season brand in olive oil.
Tossed them on a piece of wheat bread, microwaved for 30 seconds, put some chipotle chulula hot sauce on them and ate them up with a fork.

:yum:

These fuckers are good, yo.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.
Did the 375 deg. F fisherman's eggs for brunch. They came out fine. Once I get another tin of the same sardines, I will compare the 500 degree wizardry. Also, I used chives along with the other onions.
Does this thread have any love for fishes that come in salt-encrusted wooden boxes or is it only for tinned fishes?

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

VendaGoat posted:

Tossed them on a piece of wheat bread, microwaved for 30 seconds, put some chipotle chulula hot sauce on them and ate them up with a fork.

I've been eating them with Tapatio, I feel like I could probably be doing better in the hot sauce department. Also how did bread in the microwave for that long not turn into a kitchen sponge?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Brunswicks are firmly middle range deens. But for $1 CANADIAN I dont think you can find better value.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Got a can of Mega and a can of Ligo both in tomato/chili sauce. do some philidino taste testing in a few.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

marauderthirty posted:

I've been eating them with Tapatio, I feel like I could probably be doing better in the hot sauce department. Also how did bread in the microwave for that long not turn into a kitchen sponge?

Behold! The power of dines.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Ate the can of Family. 4 biggish dines in the can, soft but not falling apart, no smoke flavor, good big crunchy spines, a little on the fishy side but not overwhelmingly. The tomato chili sauce was a little hot and, as to be expected given the country of origin, really salty. All in all, not bad for 70 cents, heaps better than most of the stuff in the price bracket.

Would, with a little effort, make an excellent pasta sauce. (add some onions, a small can of tomato sauce to thin out the saltiness, some garlic and some wine)

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

VendaGoat posted:

Behold! The power of dines.

Dines are nice and oily so i bet that's where the microwave energy concentrated itself (it likes to heat oils and water up)

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Anybody done any cheapo dine shopping at Aldi's? I've never been in one but I'm thinking of starting to do my grocery shopping there to save money.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Had some Trader Joe's Smoked Trout today over brown rice and hot sauce. Quite delicious, a nice departure from sardines.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Ate my last can of sexy dad's jalapeño KOs. Hot drat were they good. Gonna drive down to the US with a similarly now addicted friend and buy a case :getin:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Ceciltron posted:

Ate my last can of sexy dad's jalapeño KOs. Hot drat were they good. Gonna drive down to the US with a similarly now addicted friend and buy a case :getin:

all getting stopped by the cops for looking racially out of place in the eastern european neighborhood

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
"Reason for visiting the US, sir?"

"Lower prices on a particular brand of canned fish."

"Alright, pull through."

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Sheep-Goats posted:

"Alright, pull through."

Even with the exchange rate, it's better than paying amazon for it.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

you know a recipe is made by a cool rear end laid back dude because he uses lots of swears in the recipe

slam that motherbitcheing fish into the poo poo rear end pan. gently caress yeah, cram that poo poo sideways onto the table or whatever, i don'te even care!!

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

i'm gonna introduce my dad to some ko sardines. mediterranean on some toasted sourdough over olive oil and prob some regular on same bread with some german style mustard

what he remembers when he thinks of canned nordic sardines is when his dad would eat it. this is like 1950s/1960s and apparently they stunk like poo poo as soon as the cans were opened. i perhaps may not impress him but he will at least realize that things have gotten far, far better since then

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Gonna make a dine salad for lunch today

Tomatoes
Bell pepper
Lettuce
Rucola(arugula)
Feta cubes
Some herb vinegrette
1 tin tomato paste 'dines

I'll pair it with some home baked ciabatta bread.

I have some pesto rosso but IDK if it would go well?? Maybe i could put it on the bread.. Ideas, dine dads??? Do I need croquettes...

AEMINAL fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 13, 2016

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I'm pretty excited about this sardine, mango pickle, rye triscuits idea I have worked out for tomorrow.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Anyone ever tried the Ortiz fancy pants "skin on" sardines in a jar?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Sheep-Goats posted:

"Alright, pull through."

In international news today, sardine cartel members were detained at the border when they tried to smuggle in over a thousand dollars worth of fish, without paying import fees. The two men are being held until such time as they either forfeit there ill gotten catch or pay for the tax.

They were quoted as saying, "It's still cheaper than having Amazon deliver them."

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

VendaGoat posted:

In international news today, sardine cartel members were detained at the border when they tried to smuggle in over a thousand dollars worth of fish, without paying import fees. The two men are being held until such time as they either forfeit there ill gotten catch or pay for the tax.

They were quoted as saying, "It's still cheaper than having Amazon deliver them."

A customs official who inspected their car said, "These animals couldn't even wait to get over the border before cranking open those Dines. We knew right away that we were dealing with Dineheads. The whole car reeked!"

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

AEMINAL posted:

Gonna make a dine salad for lunch today

Tomatoes
Bell pepper
Lettuce
Rucola(arugula)
Feta cubes
Some herb vinegrette
1 tin tomato paste 'dines

I'll pair it with some home baked ciabatta bread.

I have some pesto rosso but IDK if it would go well?? Maybe i could put it on the bread.. Ideas, dine dads??? Do I need croquettes...

Sounds like a salad I would make. Would suggest going full roquette and ditch the lettuce. Would pr'lly also use cucumber instead of bell pepper and use olive oil dines instead of tomato sauce ones.

you don't ever really need croquettes unless you're trying to sweeten up a lady friend. girls love those loving things.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Went for a 2 hour bike ride and then ate sardines, a cliff bar, and an apple for my post ride. I've gotten festively plump over the holidays, no complaints, but it's time to do something about it!

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

numberoneposter posted:

Went for a 2 hour bike ride and then ate sardines, a cliff bar, and an apple for my post ride. I've gotten festively plump over the holidays, no complaints, but it's time to do something about it!

One of the reasons I love oily fish is that they sort of feel rich in your stomach, but are effectively so much less rich than anything else that feels the same way.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Ceciltron posted:

Nice! Hopefully you can find some mear-enough to make it worth the trip! Glad you enjoyed the 'dines

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

numberoneposter posted:

Consuming 600 calories after you exercise is probably not going to help you much in that regard.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Male Tears posted:

Consuming 600 calories after you exercise is probably not going to help you much in that regard.
How do you figure? If anything it's not even close to refueling after a ride

An hours of "easy" cycling burns like 600 cals. Combined with a BMR of about 2500 I'm not even close to breaking even.

A harsh ride (or run or anything that gets your HR to zone 4-5) will burn close to 1000 calories an hour.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I love it when goons pretend to know about nutrition/exercise then lord their ignorance over other goons.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Overwined posted:

I love it when goons pretend to know about nutrition/exercise then lord their ignorance over other goons.

I burn 2k calories when masturbating. I can eat anything I want :smug:

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
if your dine ain't sitting in olive oil it is a doghsit dine and should be fed to the dog who coincidentally eats dogshit anyways so they will find this to be a delightful yet oddly familiar treat

buy KOs only

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

as a regular KO person, I decided to buy some bumblebee in hot sauce for $0.99 and see how it is. the dines or parts of dine were large and pretty dry-tasting. i enjoyed the hot sauce more than the dines. I dunno, I guess I'd like it if it was mixed in with stuff in a blender or something

maybe

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Sizone posted:

Sounds like a salad I would make. Would suggest going full roquette and ditch the lettuce. Would pr'lly also use cucumber instead of bell pepper and use olive oil dines instead of tomato sauce ones.

you don't ever really need croquettes unless you're trying to sweeten up a lady friend. girls love those loving things.

I followed your advice and man, what a great little salad that was. The tomato paste dines would have gotten too messy, but olive oil ones were just right and added that little extra :)

Nothing was left. Not even a spine or a stray leaf

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

AEMINAL posted:

I followed your advice and man, what a great little salad that was. The tomato paste dines would have gotten too messy, but olive oil ones were just right and added that little extra :)

Nothing was left. Not even a spine or a stray leaf

glad the dad salad knowledge worked out for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

numberoneposter posted:

How do you figure? If anything it's not even close to refueling after a ride

An hours of "easy" cycling burns like 600 cals. Combined with a BMR of about 25 00 I'm not even close to breaking even.

A harsh ride (or run or anything that gets your HR to zone 4-5) will burn close to 1000 calories an hour.

Yeah, sorry I was mistaken. My BMR is significantly less so if I ate 600 calorie snacks I'd end up obese and/or reverse the good of any exercise I did. My bad.