Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

maffew buildings posted:

Got my orders to CFL school. Gonna learn to PT the Navy way (very poorly)

Prepare to be amazed as some of your classmates wash out due to failing either the PFA or the written test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

PneumonicBook posted:

Yea, he's got a bachelor's from that prestigious school.

This got an enlisted friend a trip to OTS. So it's not completely worthless.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Stultus Maximus posted:

Prepare to be amazed as some of your classmates wash out due to failing either the PFA or the written test.

I really wish I'd tried to get out of this, it sounds super lame.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

maffew buildings posted:

I really wish I'd tried to get out of this, it sounds super lame.

Can you act convincingly stupider than the rest of your unit so they won't question it if you fail the written test for a Navy 5 day course?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Can you act convincingly stupider than the rest of your unit so they won't question it if you fail the written test for a Navy 5 day course?

Dude he's a seabee. No one is that good of an actor.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

maffew buildings posted:

Got my orders to CFL school. Gonna learn to PT the Navy way (very poorly)

Resistance bands!

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Godholio posted:

This got an enlisted friend a trip to OTS. So it's not completely worthless.

DCA on my last ship had a degree from University of Phoenix Online. Got him from E to O. Win for him. He was always self conscious and humble about it, but that seemed to work to his favor since he was actually really smart and hard working.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PneumonicBook posted:

Resistance bands!

TBQH I'm glad I learned good resistance band exercises at the CFL course. I never really thought about them before but they're great for traveling, small spaces/no gym, and joint rehabbing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I got your resistance band hanging.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

There's no way out of this thing. I'm looking forward to learning how to motivate sailors, because being a good shipmate is a Navy thing! (re: I'm going to let them fail)

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
if you take up smoking you are ineligible to be CFL

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Joking aside, heads are about to roooooooooooooooooll.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
More funnies.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
One more.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Oh no Iran has photos of our cutting edge small boat technology.

Why oh why did we not go to war over this.

The shame is too great. We must all commit seppuku.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
http://www.navytimes.com/story/military/2016/01/14/us-sailors-mistakenly-steered-into-iranian-waters/78796140/

quote:

Officials are trying to ascertain how they wound up off track, leading to the run-in with Iran's paramilitary forces based on the island, according to a source familiar with the debriefings.

A refueling rendezvous gone awry is the likely explanation for why the boats got off track, according to a U.S. official who asked for anonymity to discuss information from the debriefings.

In order to make the trek from Bahrain to Kuwait, the riverine boats needed to take on more fuel mid-journey. The rendezvous point for the refueling was about three miles west of the 12-mile limit that rings Iran's territorial sea around Farsi Island. To get to the rendezvous, however, the boats deviated from an approved course and ended up in Iranian waters.

“Nobody understand why they did what they did," the official said. "The way they went off course required some notification or approval that they didn’t seek."

One theory is the crews took a short-cut to the rendezvous point and couldn't outrun Iran's pursuit vessels because one of the riverine boats was suffering engine trouble that prevented them from going full speed. The jet-propelled riverine command boats are rated at speeds upwards of 43 knots, or 50 mph.

:allears:

I see NECC is still the shitshow I remember them as.

e: If I ever become an old cranky rear end in a top hat veteran commenting on how everyone these days is a pussy-rear end human being, shoot me:

quote:

HP Local
Being a Navy Vet from the Vietnam Era serving on a Destroyer, how could they end up like the USS Pueblo (AGER-2) incident without a shot or destroying their top secret equipment and logs etc? Why would they give up the ship without a fight? Where was backup by Naval Air Power? Was this a non commissoined petty officer/chieh who apologized? Unreal under OBAMA!

quote:

Al Erickson ·
East High School
@ HP Local. I concur, sir. I too am a Vietnam Navy Vet. Why would they not throw computers etc over the side? I remember ‘stand by to repel boarders’ as a drill. I could NOT see any rate or rank on the uniforms which would not surprise me. Why would they not scuttle their weapons if boarding was imminent and the Rules of Engagement did not allow for reprisals? Still too many unanswered questions. I'm sure all crew members have all been forced to sign "non-disclose statements" by now.

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 15, 2016

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Old people not knowing or caring about the size and scope of the boat.

:allears:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Why did this pair of little putt-putt patrol boats not have a dedicated SuCAP package overhead to cover them? Because OBAMA, that's why!

- a vietnam vet

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Is there a class or type I can google?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Godholio posted:

Is there a class or type I can google?

News says it was these guys: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CB90-class_fast_assault_craft

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That looks like the pictures I've seen, thanks.

Those loving sailors, letting Iran catch a glimpse of our Swedish-built 1980s patrol boat technology!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Expeditionary Combat Skills will have to add a in the event of capture component

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Anyone wearing an exw pin is a professional skater. A sailor whose actions are truly in keeping with the highest standards of gundecking.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

Expeditionary Combat Skills will have to add a in the event of capture component

1) Make sure you're not wearing white socks.

2) See number 1.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

DownByTheWooter posted:

Anyone wearing an exw pin is a professional skater. A sailor whose actions are truly in keeping with the highest standards of gundecking.

Incidentally Seabee Naval Mobile Construction Battalions are authorized to quality for these now

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Godholio posted:

That looks like the pictures I've seen, thanks.

Those loving sailors, letting Iran catch a glimpse of our Swedish-built 1980s patrol boat technology!

Iran has the Furuno. Repeat, Iran has now acquired Furuno radar and GPS technology.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I remember there was a guy in my division who was allergic to the black socks they gave us in boot camp so they wrote him a white socks chit.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Tell me more boot camp stories, boot.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I was on lookout while my rackmate took an upper decker in the toilet of another platoon's DS Hut. It was the single most dangerous thing I did in the Marines outside of riding in a CH-46

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Went down and talked to admin today to make sure everything is on the up and up for my seperation (terminal starts this Friday). Of course they had no idea my terminal started Friday even though I've talked to the guy every week for two months about it, they haven't seen any of my awards/eval/etc and to cap it all off they hosed up sending my last eval in and according to my continuity report its 'purged'.

I look forward to coming in during terminal to fix these things.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

PneumonicBook posted:

Went down and talked to admin today to make sure everything is on the up and up for my seperation (terminal starts this Friday). Of course they had no idea my terminal started Friday even though I've talked to the guy every week for two months about it, they haven't seen any of my awards/eval/etc and to cap it all off they hosed up sending my last eval in and according to my continuity report its 'purged'.

Full beard as hobo looking as possible.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

PneumonicBook posted:

If you are getting out, the Navy already knows what type of discharge they are giving you and what RE code will be on your DD214. Why would you care about their loving up some eval that won't matter once you are out anyway? If terminal leave is approved, you should never have to come back. That's why it's called terminal.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

If you are getting out, the Navy already knows what type of discharge they are giving you and what RE code will be on your DD214. Why would you care about their loving up some eval that won't matter once you are out anyway? If terminal leave is approved, you should never have to come back. That's why it's called terminal.

Because I make terrible decisions and will be transferring to the reserves. Having an error on your continuity report automatically gets your package thrown in the 'do not look at' pile on a Chief's board.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

PneumonicBook posted:

Because I make terrible decisions and will be transferring to the reserves. Having an error on your continuity report automatically gets your package thrown in the 'do not look at' pile on a Chief's board.

I hope you drill at a reserve base in a land locked state. That way you can have a building where everyone pretends it's a ship.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 20, 2016

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

PneumonicBook posted:

The fact that you care about chief's board says it all really.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

germskr posted:

The fact that you care about chief's board says it all really.

If I'm going to stay in the Navy in some capacity than of course I'd want to make :chiefsay:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

If terminal leave is approved, you should never have to come back. That's why it's called terminal.

This is so tragically wrong it has to be corrected. Your chain (whomever's on G-series orders) can and will call you back if they want. And a lot of commanders will do it for this.

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I hope you drill at a reserve base in a land locked state. That way you can have a building where everyone pretends it's a ship.

There are at least two masts at Fallon. loving weird.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Godholio posted:

This is so tragically wrong it has to be corrected. Your chain (whomever's on G-series orders) can and will call you back if they want. And a lot of commanders will do it for this.

There are at least two masts at Fallon. loving weird.

I am not admin but in 16 years I have had a lot of Marines go on terminal leave. In that time, I have never once heard of or known of anyone who has heard of someone getting recalled from terminal leave. So maybe it's different in the navy but since we all are Dept of Navy, I can't imagine why it would be.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's probably not common to actually happen, but terminal leave is leave. I'm the only person I know who's had leave cancelled in-progress, but it can definitely happen and it's up to the boss whether he wants to do it or not. If I wanted to enjoy my terminal I sure as hell wouldn't gently caress around with a relatively simple paperwork issue by shrugging it off and hoping nobody notices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Godholio posted:

It's probably not common to actually happen, but terminal leave is leave. I'm the only person I know who's had leave cancelled in-progress, but it can definitely happen and it's up to the boss whether he wants to do it or not. If I wanted to enjoy my terminal I sure as hell wouldn't gently caress around with a relatively simple paperwork issue by shrugging it off and hoping nobody notices.

I will concede the point. I am not expert on admin stuff but if I were on terminal, you'd never be able to get a hold of me to recall my rear end. They give Marines their DD214 before they leave the base so there is nothing holding them here.

• Locked thread