Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

AM I DOING IT RIGHT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinaire
Feb 10, 2003
I'm pretty sure the answer is yes.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

docbeard posted:

AM I DOING IT RIGHT?

what do you call four dead jesters

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
a good start?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

UberJew posted:

what do you call four dead jesters

I'll let you know.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
RIP jestersquad
1/13/2016 - 1/13/2016

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I actually wanted to keep one of my jesters (and the trinket I got from the Shambler fight) so I retreated when he was the only one left. They did beat the Shambler though! (Bringing their grand total of fights won to, er, one.)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

How on earth did you beat the shambler with three jesters all on death's door? :psyduck:

e: oh wait that's how the fight finished

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
There's still no way to ever keep perks, positive or negative, from being replaced right? The fact that they get replaced all the time makes me ignore most of them unless they are exceptionally bad.

VVV wait what

How

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 14, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Internet Kraken posted:

There's still no way to ever keep perks, positive or negative, from being replaced right? The fact that they get replaced all the time makes me ignore most of them unless they are exceptionally bad.

you can lock up to 3 positive quirks

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

VVV wait what

How

same way you remove them

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Very expensive though.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!

Unlucky7 posted:

I just started on the game. I am wondering if there is a fail state in the game, hard or soft. Also, I am assuming that unused torches and food are sold off at the end of an expedition?

There is actually. I haven't played this since its inception so I decided to give it another go. Lots of new mechanics and bad luck had me failing every mission except the first one due to insane stress gains and back to back crits from enemies. Four missions in and I got to a point where I had four guys but one of them was the cursed demon guy and the others refused to team up with him. This effectively ended my run.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Blackray Jack posted:

There is actually. I haven't played this since its inception so I decided to give it another go. Lots of new mechanics and bad luck had me failing every mission except the first one due to insane stress gains and back to back crits from enemies. Four missions in and I got to a point where I had four guys but one of them was the cursed demon guy and the others refused to team up with him. This effectively ended my run.

Are you sure you can't recruit a guy from the coach? I'm going to try to replicate this, but already you can't send people away if it would put you under 4 non-abominations available.

Edit: Basically the only way I see it maybe possible is if you don't upgrade your coach and have 1 abomination+4 others and the others all die and you pull a religious guy off the coach.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 14, 2016

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
I was having to dismiss people due to deaths or insanity that was stacked up way too high, and since it was my first few weeks in I had very little to deal with it. Plus, I didn't start with enough deeds to upgrade the coach to 4 people per week that you normally get from the opening quest with Reynald and Dismas. When I finally did get enough deeds my last group had three guys and a cursed guy so I was effectively boned.

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 14, 2016

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

It literally doesn't let you dismiss if that puts you under 4 non-abominations. Also if you aren't getting 4/week and you wouldn't have enough to field 4 guys, you get up to 4 on the coach. For example, if you lost the starting party entirely, you get 4 people on the coach. Game still hasn't spit out an abomination for my test game yet.

Did find out that if you get a virtuous guy and pass, he still takes the stress damage but it doesn't show the stress damage icon+damage. Also going virtuous means he caps out at 100 stress!

Edit: Well having only an abomination left in my roster from killing the 4 guys on the mission had 4 more show up.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 14, 2016

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
I don't know what to tell you. It was a literal game over. The last four guys I got were three dudes and an abomination. Two of the dudes refused to be sent on a team with the abomination so I couldn't deploy whatsoever.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
The Leper backstory was pretty neat; the silhouette of somebody removing a crown from his head was... subtle. And sad as gently caress.

Looking forward to the release. In the meantime, though, Red Hook appears to have uploaded, oh, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyayQQAVEGo

:psyduck:

I end up looking at the gameplay from a different perspective. Retreating is an option. When the mission shits itself you have a choice: Call the heroes home to safety, or take a broomstick and keep prodding them forward because damnit that's a lot of gold in the quest rewards and you're not going to let these assholes come back empty-handed so stop whimpering and loving hit the target this time you fucks

Invariably the player ends up taking the second choice, because highwaymen are replaceable, and Dismas is just a name.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 14, 2016

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
when the game comes out next week im gonna do a run where i only ever have 1 of every character. no doubles. if a character dies then i gotta replace 'em with the same kind of character.

I think it's gonna be fun

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
Well, with the buffs to a lot of DOTs and self-heals, I've come up with a new dynamic that works REALLY well.

With a party like PD-HM-Cru-Lep, it's really easy to get the enemy to a position where all remaining enemies will die from DOTs before they get another action. Then, if you're lucky, you can squeeze in a full round of heals / stress reducers, recovering something like 10 - 20 HP across the party. If you get into a position like 'that cultist gladiator has 9 HP and 8 points of DOT on him', you can even do two rounds of healing. Because while one healer won't outheal one monster, FOUR healers will.

It makes up for some lack of flexibility inherent in the front-line face-smashers, but you still have the heavy hitters to take down big front-line monsters. I've been really enjoying it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Any tips for the Formless Flesh? This is the only boss that really scares me right now because both times I've fought it I've either lost someone or gotten out without deaths through pure luck. Aiming for the heart tubes with no protection when they form does a lot of damage, but it still has a mountain of health and dishes out crazy amounts of damage that also has bleed/blight.

Unrelated RNG bitching; My stage coach is upgraded to have 5 heroes avaliable, yet in about 10 weeks of waiting I still haven't seen an occultist :regd09:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

Any tips for the Formless Flesh? This is the only boss that really scares me right now because both times I've fought it I've either lost someone or gotten out without deaths through pure luck. Aiming for the heart tubes with no protection when they form does a lot of damage, but it still has a mountain of health and dishes out crazy amounts of damage that also has bleed/blight.

Unrelated RNG bitching; My stage coach is upgraded to have 5 heroes avaliable, yet in about 10 weeks of waiting I still haven't seen an occultist :regd09:

None of the forms has very much blight, bleed, or stun resist. Bring a PD and a Hellion, give them a trinket that boosts stun, and you can stun the whole hog with 2 characters while you rack up DOTs with other characters (houndmasters are superb and even jesters are serviceable.)

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Panfilo posted:

Leper backstory

All hail King Baldwin!

:toot:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldwin_IV_of_Jerusalem

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Internet Kraken posted:

Bring a Hound Master (or more). Use Hound's Harry and put bleeding on every part that carries over part transformations. Drain it like a stuck pig.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Superstring posted:

Bring a Hound Master (or more). Use Hound's Harry and put bleeding on every part that carries over part transformations. Drain it like a stuck pig.

Two hound masters and this works incredibly well. save the dog treats until you get to boss and he'll be dead in like 5 turns.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Try a vestal-plague-hound-hellion setup. If you're comfortable swap the vestal for an occultist (+dmg camp buff to hellion and stronger attacks). Plague doc with back-row grenades is a solid dot, or you can stun if there are dangerous sections in the back. Hound's 4-hit bleed is actually decent in this fight, and hellion can target does heart sections for solid damage.

Alternatively a heavy marking party works well, something like arb-occ-hound-XXX. Hellion works good again, since that gives you a solid non-mark damage option to get through the dungeon. Leper isn't too bad either, since in the warrens a front line chopy-chopy is useful (and manipulating position doesn't do much except against swinataurs). Some sort of jester-occ-abom-hell/maa could work pretty well probably, have jester stress heal until the boss and stick him in slot 3 for his bleed.

I think my best kill time was with a heavy marking party, having arbalest critting for 50+ really mows down anything.

I ran another 6 or so parties to their death's and still didn't get a group on the wagon with abomination+religious. I'm not saying it can't happen, but the circumstances for it are rare as hell.

Edit: no aboms at all actually, the only one I got was in a group of people when I had some people live through a mission.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 14, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Blackray Jack posted:

I don't know what to tell you. It was a literal game over. The last four guys I got were three dudes and an abomination. Two of the dudes refused to be sent on a team with the abomination so I couldn't deploy whatsoever.
I'd report this cause that sounds more like an unfortunate oversight than anything else.

I'm not a programmer but I can't imagine it'd be too difficult to tweak it so Abominations never show up if you've got four characters or less.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

I'd report this cause that sounds more like an unfortunate oversight than anything else.

I'm not a programmer but I can't imagine it'd be too difficult to tweak it so Abominations never show up if you've got four characters or less.

It's a...game breaker.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!
Darkest Dungeon now has Steam achievements listed!

Not sure if they are actually implemented yet or coming with the new patch, but the list contains enough fun ones that go beyond "Kill X Boss" that I'm happy with it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I just realized you can change skills during a mission. This entire time I'd been playing under the assumption that skills could only be changed in the hamlet, leading to many situations where I embarked with the wrong skillset and just gritted my teeth and dealt with it.

I feel really dumb right now :saddowns:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Iron Chitlin posted:

Darkest Dungeon now has Steam achievements listed!

Not sure if they are actually implemented yet or coming with the new patch, but the list contains enough fun ones that go beyond "Kill X Boss" that I'm happy with it.

"that'll do pig" probably involves getting someone killed by wilbur

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

paranoid randroid posted:

"that'll do pig" probably involves getting someone killed by wilbur

im guessing kill wilbur before swine prince

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So as a person who started playing this game some time after the refund period expired, I will say it does draw you in. Though my first playthrough had to be deleted because I had no money for provisions whatsoever.

And then on my second first playthrough, I decided "hey lets give this eldritch thing a torch since it needs one" and achieved a wipe there due to the resulting monster.

And I still dunno if I should press onward or restart again.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

You gain nothing by restarting. If you have to, send 4 fresh recruits into a mission with no supplies, loot as much as you can, and retreat before you wipe. Fire the survivors if they have too much stress or bad quirks and repeat until you have enough money. Meanwhile you'll be bringing back a few heirlooms to upgrade your town with.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I'm going to have to start a new game to keep Dismas alive. I got Reynauld all the way through to the end though...

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Well, I already restarted once, fully aware I'll gain nothing but a fresh start. But do keep in mind, I'm still slowly learning sorta.

I do know I need a Vestage or some healing skills. Also that the Occultist makes for an effective medic if everyone's already bleeding.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Ugh, I nearly got my hands on the ancestral pen but had to bail on the mission for it at the last moment. Long mission that was too clear 100% of room battles. So that pretty much required crossing the entire map. After slaying I dunno how many pigs and worms, there's just one more room and a hallway encounter left. Unfortunately, my party is pretty battered because wyrd reoncstruction somehow manages to roll for 0 multiple times. But hey, maybe I'll get lucky and it'll just be some maggots or spiders!

:hb: "Uhuhuhuh hey its me again you wanna see my skull collection?"

I left before anyone but got killed but I'm super bitter about it. All that time and effort wasted :negative:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Woo only got Jester with one mission left to fulfill the class-based caretaker goals! From the on, I just have the bosses left to kill.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

widespread posted:

Well, I already restarted once, fully aware I'll gain nothing but a fresh start. But do keep in mind, I'm still slowly learning sorta.

I do know I need a Vestage or some healing skills. Also that the Occultist makes for an effective medic if everyone's already bleeding.

Bleed stacks, your occultist can make it worse. They're about as effective as vestals on average though, just less reliable. You probably don't have it yet but there's a trinket that lowers bleed skill chance which means his heal will never proc a bleed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

RIP my level 5 Bounty Hunter, went Hopeless against a Swinetaur Champion and two ensuing 0 heals from my Occultist couldn't undo the bleed damage on his turns.

Oh, there's an achievement for completing the game in 75 weeks. That's pretty much asking you to never retreat and kill all bosses in one pass. :black101: