Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
AI strongly favors taking land to connect isolated territories. Austria starts with sundgau separated and makes a ton of enemies in south Germany snaking it's way to it. This usually ends in vassalizing a ton of weak minors along the way and having them annexed too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

And I really hate that. I wish they'd disable that AI impulse for HRE states.

Trujillo posted:

Just learned that Persia was majority Sunni until the 1500's but in this it already starts as Shia.

Yup. The Qizilbash in general are something the game can't really deal with well; here's a few thousand dudes who are basically non-state actors, who come gently caress up Shirvan, and then manage to subdue all of Persia in like 10 years in the midst of the swirling political chaos that had dominated the region ever since Timur bought it. That conquest, along with things like the Ottoman conquest of Egypt, and the rapid rise of the Manchus are things that just can't really happen in game without big DHEs that everyone seems to hate for some reason.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

At least the Islamic Republic of Iran doesn't show up 400 years early like it did in EU3. I think a DHE would be appropriate for this situation, although I've always been a little partial to more event-driven things.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

Yup. The Qizilbash in general are something the game can't really deal with well; here's a few thousand dudes who are basically non-state actors, who come gently caress up Shirvan, and then manage to subdue all of Persia in like 10 years in the midst of the swirling political chaos that had dominated the region ever since Timur bought it. That conquest, along with things like the Ottoman conquest of Egypt, and the rapid rise of the Manchus are things that just can't really happen in game without big DHEs that everyone seems to hate for some reason.
Yeah it is really hard to toe the line. Considering that they have the Iberian Wedding, the Commonwealth events, and the Burgundian Inheritance I really feel like there should be more events that can trigger that kind of stuff, even if it is kinda hard or there is a cost to whomever triggers it.

I think it would add a lot of flavor to the game if more Historical driven events were added, but also events that allow big changes to happen and if large states could destabilize or become decadent or something. It is already modeled to a degree with disasters but using a mechanic Revanchism to help someone that gets wrecked via event/disaster could be neat and make it interesting for a player. e.g. a "Prussian conquest of Silesia" event fires (or a decision triggered by Prussia) when a war breaks out between Prussia and Austria; If Prussia wins the war they get Silesia and some sort of bonus, but Austria gets stronger revanchism or something.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

And I really hate that. I wish they'd disable that AI impulse for HRE states.

Well there's always the Oromo migration, Funj and Darfur :v:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Elendil004 posted:

I enjoy being big enough to get a coalition and declare on it as a response, taking land. gently caress you in Afghanistan you're a bunch of Indian minors how did you see this ending?

Yeah that was me. I was Bavaria and took a few provinces from missions.

Never played in the HRE before so I had no idea that'd happen

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Poil posted:

Genoa had noble rebels spawning in Cafa or whatever the place is called but a hundred years later they were still awkwardly standing around. You'd think one of them would give in eventually.

Which is why the game really needs to extend the new custom nation rebellion system that it brought in for Cossack and Dhimmi rebellions and turn it into the default outcome of any rebellion that just gets ignored.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Does co-belligerenting call in protectors (guarantors, people warning you, the emperor/Japan etc)?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
what is a good place to start in the HRE? i assume Austria is pretty straightforward

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

verbal enema posted:

what is a good place to start in the HRE? i assume Austria is pretty straightforward

Austria, Brandenburg, Holland, and Hamburg/Lubeck are all fun starts.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

verbal enema posted:

Austria and Brandenburg are probably the two most straightforward. If you want to be a small power, I'd start in the Holland area, because they generally have the fewest blobs to worry about, since the only nearby blobs would have to attack into the empire to declare on you and face the current Emperor's wrath.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Jsor posted:

Does co-belligerenting call in protectors (guarantors, people warning you, the emperor/Japan etc)?

Yes. Calls in coalitions as well.

Warnings are somewhat special, in that they only apply if the warner borders both the defender and attacker.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

PittTheElder posted:

Warnings are somewhat special, in that they only apply if the warner borders both the defender and attacker.

I know, but they do apply to co-belligerenting (e.g. if I'm Ulm and I co-belligerent Bavaria while Austria-blob is warning me)?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really like naval and on any game where my navy is more important than my land army (usually American or Malaysian anything) I take it in addition to Maritime. Also, it has the benefit of being one of the only idea groups with mostly positive events and some extremely good policies. I think people forget that events and policies can be a big part of why you should take an idea group. For a long time I took Religious specifically for the event that gives you Revolutionary rebels to rebel myself into an oligarchic republic, although I haven't seen that event for a while so maybe it's been nerfed. In fact the only naval-oriented country I wouldn't consider it on would be Sea Prussia aka GB. Maybe the Netherlands if I had no European wars to worry about

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 13, 2016

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wiz's twitter posted:

There is now a confirmation dialog for truce breaking DOWs.

It's actually a confirmation dialog for any stabhit DOW, my bad.

:dance:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Jsor posted:

I know, but they do apply to co-belligerenting (e.g. if I'm Ulm and I co-belligerent Bavaria while Austria-blob is warning me)?

I believe so, yes.

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

"This cannot POSSIBLY be good. . ."
So... I have no idea if I totally wrecked Catholicism, but it kinda seems that way. Playing a multiplayer game as Switzerland and a friend playing Austria. We're best German bros since I help support him in Emperor duty and he helps me reclaim Italian land. Protestantism breaks out. Pope and Austria relations strain. Austria turns Protestant so I follow suit. Now, after winning the 30 years war, a Protestant Emperor is the catch of the day... and Rome is German. And Protestant. As Switzerland, I release the Papal States into a protestant land, and... The Pope is Protestant. Just for fun we loaded up the game as a catholic to see what this actually DOES and apparently it causes the Papal Sates to come up as "MEMBER STATES MEMBER STATES MEMBER STATES".Has... Has anyone else done this? Does anyone know what's gong to happen? The Papal point system is stil there but... there's no... Pope...

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I gotta say, playing the TO, it's really retarded that it's possible to get the clergy disaster. How exactly do the clergy dominate the government of a country where they already are the government?. I also see the Papal States consistently get it every single game, and then never leave the disaster unless they get annexed and released by someone in the HRE.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Larry Parrish posted:

I gotta say, playing the TO, it's really retarded that it's possible to get the clergy disaster. How exactly do the clergy dominate the government of a country where they already are the government?. I also see the Papal States consistently get it every single game, and then never leave the disaster unless they get annexed and released by someone in the HRE.
The game has not been patched since Estates got added and Paradox isnt omniscient when it comes to balancing new mechanics that permeate the game?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also, this is another one of the many reasons why I hate estates. Note that they have no provinces

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The only problem I have with estates right now is that it feels like their loyalty is very arbitrary. This is less true with 3 estate nations, but it becomes really noticeable with Nomads. I noticed that Arumba had effectively zero control over the loyalty of the Tribes estate and it effectively came down to which events he's gotten recently.

This is, perhaps, realistic, but it would be nice to have a few more (monarch point costing?) loyalty-bumping options for when you get chain-screwed by events.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thats why the loyalty of my Burghers in that screen shot is so low. I got like 4 events in a row that lowered loyalty after a bunch that raised Influence, so I had to rip all their provinces away which just made them hate me even more. It wouldn't bother me as much if an estate with no provinces just didn't give a modifier, negative or positive.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Larry Parrish posted:

Also, this is another one of the many reasons why I hate estates. Note that they have no provinces

i'm also noticing that despite the incredibly rare amassment of influence modifiers, the only penalty is a really minor 10% trade efficiency and development loss for like 6 months and then it'll all be back to normal again.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Larry Parrish posted:

hm, something seems to have messed up your font. hopefully paradox will fix that soon! :)

Joopjan
Nov 5, 2009
There's something really annoying about conquering nations with colonial nations. The fact that you have to travel all around the world to besiege random forts as well as the fact that your own ensuing colonial nations will have sky high revolt risk just draws any fun out of late game wars for me.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
If you're playing as a theocracy, try completely removing the clergy from all your provinces as soon as you can. That should take most of their influence away.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I can't decide if taking Exploration as Theodoro to colonize Siberia is a good idea or not. It doesn't feed into my trade node. I could get Admin and Adaptability pretty quick, but then again, taking all that land and denying it to Muscovy (my "allies") is so tempting. Do all those 1/1/1 provinces add up?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Not really, although it is a decent amount of additional manpower. The main thing about Siberia is the production and trade income that it gives you, but the possible trade goods got nerfed a bit recently so I probably wouldn't bother unless you can easily redirect trade from Siberia down to you as well.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
So I took the mission to take w/e province starts with an "N" from the Teutonic Order. Took a Provence from Pomerania in a mission as well and now I'm elected emperor.

Any ideas where to go from here?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Form Prussia, then form Germany

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Is there a good guide to UI modding? All the modding guides I can find are for adding new events and stuff. I'm having a lot of trouble finding where things point.

Like I'm finding things like:

code:
		instantTextBoxType = {
			name = "summary"
			position = { x = 220 y = 350 }
			textureFile = ""
			font = "vic_22"
			borderSize = {x = 0 y = 0}
			text = "PEACE_SUMMARY"
			maxWidth = 128
			maxHeight = 24	
			format = left
		}	
But I can't find PEACE_SUMMARY's definition, which I assume fills the summary box programmatically.

In diplomacy_I_english I'm finding things like:

code:
 PAY_CASH_TO_MULTIPLE: "$WHO$ will pay §Y$WHAT$§! ducats to $WHOM$ and its allies."
Which are obviously part of the constructed text, but I have no idea how those values are being subbed in, or what part of the files actually transforms the selected peace terms into a summary.

I basically just want to add a tiny bit of info to the declare war and peace summary screens. Specifically, on the declare war screen I want to show the relative strength of the alliance if the war starts as predicted, and on the peace screen I want to show something like "If this lesser partner accepts peace, it will remove X [infantry icon] Y [cav icon] and Z [cannon icon] from the war" to reduce the amount of ledger-digging you have to do.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 14, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

verbal enema posted:

So I took the mission to take w/e province starts with an "N" from the Teutonic Order. Took a Provence from Pomerania in a mission as well and now I'm elected emperor.

Any ideas where to go from here?

Try and grab East Prussia, then isolated provinces in Westphalia. You're in the HRE, so you owe it to yourself to achieve bizarro pretty borders.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
What is the main plus to being the emperor. I started the game before work so I've been trying to imagine if my .16 per month? IA increase is going to matter enough to pull some poo poo before I lose the Emperor status.

Does that one decision to improve relations with a member of the HRE persist after loss?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Trujillo posted:

If you're playing as a theocracy, try completely removing the clergy from all your provinces as soon as you can. That should take most of their influence away.

They'll still have 40% base influence just from being a theocracy, even if you revoke all their territory. This is really bad advice.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

verbal enema posted:

What is the main plus to being the emperor. I started the game before work so I've been trying to imagine if my .16 per month? IA increase is going to matter enough to pull some poo poo before I lose the Emperor status.

Does that one decision to improve relations with a member of the HRE persist after loss?

Lots of bonuses to list. Big income increase and manpower increase as mainly. Try to keep your title, ally/marry/improve relations with electors. You don't ever have to worry about the emperor demanding unlawful territory, since you're the emperor. And of course there are the reforms, which if you can get up to revoking the privilegia you become an unstoppable bee-swarm that can take on the entire world.

The only responsibility you have as emperor is to participate in defensive wars from outside threats. And when you are called in as emperor, you can call in your allies as well as theirs, so its usually pretty lopsided in your favor. Not always though!

e: I'm playing as Theodoro, and I have the Cossack estate to concern myself with. They give you nice bonuses, but I am having trouble keeping their loyalty above 30%, and that is already with the +10 modifier you get from interacting with them. I don't have loyalty problems with the other three estates, how do I get the Cossacks' loyalty up? Surely there is something I am missing other than giving them literally every Steppes province I own.

e2: Neat! The AI is going for an achievement!

Node fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 14, 2016

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

They'll still have 40% base influence just from being a theocracy, even if you revoke all their territory. This is really bad advice.

Is it? I thought 40% influence was better than 78% if you're trying to avoid the disaster. I think that's what most theocracies start at. One influence gaining event for the clergy and the disaster starts ticking.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 14, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You can just sit at 78% until you get an event. There's no reason to try to preempt it, especially if doing so puts them blow 30 loyalty.

But that makes me wonder: why is the clergy having too much influence a bad thing in a theocracy?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Fister Roboto posted:

You can just sit at 78% until you get an event. There's no reason to try to preempt it, especially if doing so puts them blow 30 loyalty.

But that makes me wonder: why is the clergy having too much influence a bad thing in a theocracy?

I've seen The Papal State lose to the disaster where the clergy take over the state.

Isn't that what The Papal State is?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I kind of feel theocracies shouldn't have a clergy estate. The state is the clergy already!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The clergy aren't a single entity, more than likely it's just clergy who aren't supporters of the current pope.

The real reason is who cares tho.

• Locked thread