Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SI is trying to do a redemption piece on Adrian Peterson, who doesn't seem to care at all. It's really something.

E: and Katie Nolan had Tommy Dreamer on her show to critique the various wrestling moves Bills fans did this year.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Barstool Sports got bought by the Chernin Group, a new media conglomerate. You may know Barstool Sports as a sports news site catering to the fratboy demographic whose sole purpose is to provide hot takes and harass women who don't like their racist Twitter posts and articles.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

I have no idea where to put this but this is the most insane loving thing I've ever read. Can't link to the full article since it's paywalled so I'll link to the Field of Schemes article that brought this to light. TLDR; Australian state (New South Wales) is selling off an entire government department to pay for stadiums they don't need. I don't loving even. I really want the NFL to suggest that St. Louis should sell off their parks department to give them more public money for a stadium.

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/2016/01/08/10392/australian-state-is-selling-off-a-whole-government-agency-so-it-can-build-more-stadiums/

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Can someone tell Bill Simmons to stop saying "would you bet your life" a minimum of 20 times a podcast?

thanks

(I know Simmons sucks, bla bla bla)

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Ribsauce posted:

Can someone tell Bill Simmons to stop saying "would you bet your life" a minimum of 20 times a podcast?

thanks

(I know Simmons sucks, bla bla bla)

Are we sure Ribsauce is a good poster???

midwat
May 6, 2007

OctoberBlues posted:

We talked about this earlier in the week - oops, I pulled a Phil Simms again.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

OctoberBlues posted:

He's been overrated for so long that he's actually become underrated, in a weird way.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Terrible body language, and I should know, I'm the czar of body language

midwat
May 6, 2007

He might be the good bad poster

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

OctoberBlues posted:

I'm not sure there are any good posters.

midwat
May 6, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I'm not sure there are any good posters.

I don't think Vegas is sure either

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I ranked him #24 in the Big Book of SA Posters and Bill Walton definitely agreed with me that he got The Secret.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
The Secret is it isn't about posting

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

We went out to post with my buddies Joust, Bobo, Johnny Sex Crimes

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
My favorite Bill Simmons tic is whenever someone writes a letter or mentions a bro-y pop culture thing that would be right up his alley but it happened after 2002 so Bill Simmons does the pod person point & yell.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Looks like MTV is expanding their site a lot. They just announced a bunch of hires that includes music and culture coverage but also a lot of sports writers, including Brian Phillips (Grantland), Holly Anderson (Grantland) and Ezekiel Kweku (Vice Sports).

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Though Holly Anderson is covering politics, not sports.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I support any endeavor that allows me to read Brian Phillips on a regular basis.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

morestuff posted:

Looks like MTV is expanding their site a lot. They just announced a bunch of hires that includes music and culture coverage but also a lot of sports writers, including Brian Phillips (Grantland), Holly Anderson (Grantland) and Ezekiel Kweku (Vice Sports).

Molly Lambert doesn't do sports but she's coming from Grantland as well.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It actually looks like they just hired whatever Grantland people were floating around, Molly Lambert and Mark Lisanti are going there too. Dan Fierman, former Grantland Editorial Director, started running MTV News back in October so I guess that makes sense.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

In other ex grantland news the down goes brown guy just posted something to vice sports. Phone posting else I'd link it, bit it was a weekly feature he did called weekend wrap, not sure if espn just didn't want it or if he's with vice for good now.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

McIndoe's contract with ESPN expired at the end of the year, so I guess he's writing for Vice now.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Is Zach Lowe the only Grantland guy who wound up getting permanently absorbed by ESPN?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

Is Zach Lowe the only Grantland guy who wound up getting permanently absorbed by ESPN?

Barnwell is doing his columns for them too. I don't follow baseball--did Jonah Keri stay on too?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
ESPN briefly retained Sean McIndoe but then fired him like a week before Christmas. He just landed with Vice Sports.

This is unsurprising since ESPN has been on a crusade against the NHL for years and seems to go out of its way to employ bad hockey writers

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Barnwell is doing his columns for them too. I don't follow baseball--did Jonah Keri stay on too?

No, Keri is doing a variety of stuff all over the place now. He's doing his weekly ranking column for SI and TV stuff for MLB TV. He's also doing non-sports stuff for Rolling Stone and GQ. I wouldn't be surprised if ESPN tried to keep him and he just declined.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 13, 2016

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Keri wrote a few things for ESPN then stopped abruptly, so I wouldn't be surprised if he fulfilled his contractual obligations and then bounced. His last ESPN piece was on December 18th.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Keri also teased work with a mystery company that's probably just Simmons stuff.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Blast Fantasto posted:

Keri wrote a few things for ESPN then stopped abruptly, so I wouldn't be surprised if he fulfilled his contractual obligations and then bounced. His last ESPN piece was on December 18th.

That's about the same time they let McIndoe go, so either they did a purge a week before Christmas or that's when a bunch of Grantland contracts ran out

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Groucho Marxist posted:

Keri also teased work with a mystery company that's probably just Simmons stuff.

It's for his podcast so that would make sense but he was making it sound like it was some new thing. If his ESPN contract is up anyway I'm not sure why he'd keep the Simmons thing a secret if that's what it winds up being

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Well written article about Lawrence Philliips' death. https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/lawrence-phillips-was-liked-by-cfl-teammates--but-was-a-troubling-signing-204724577.html

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

I, what? Holy poo poo. :psyduck: Didn't realize that had gone down.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

http://espn.go.com/esports/story/_/id/14551519/esports-having-moment

Darren Rovell writing about professional gaming is some Real loving Weird poo poo

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
ESPN: let's outrage whatever is left of our core audience.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

this is a network that has literally covered poker, the spelling bee, and rock/paper/scissors tournaments. at this point covering computer games isn't that big a stretch for them

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

DJExile posted:

this is a network that has literally covered poker, the spelling bee, and rock/paper/scissors tournaments. at this point covering computer games isn't that big a stretch for them

and cup stacking

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

DJExile posted:

The spelling bee owns though

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Metapod posted:

The spelling bee owns though

I hope the next Dream On montage includes this

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Spoeank posted:

I hope the next Dream On montage includes this

the kawhi leonard of spelling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

No Safe Word posted:

and cup stacking

I remember the stupid rear end cup stacking from being forced to do it in school for some reason