Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Was playing my old VW class to help a buddy start up the sub tree and I sunk every single sub on the enemy team myself, with depth charges being the only thing I fired all match.

So good. DCing subs is like, the most fun thing in the game even if it isn't always a good idea.

I also love when the subs surface to avoid the DC so that you can go all RAMMING SPEEEED!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
The best way to sink a sub is to shoot it down to 20 health with your main guns right as it surfaces, then watch it dive to avoid your secondaries and immediately sink from lack of air.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
-Save up renown or blow it on the first thing I can afford?

-Any weapon or equipment upgrades that are worth taking early? Like better radar or sonar?

-Equipment looks pricey. When should I start spending money on it?

-What are the standout ships of each class/nation?

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 13, 2016

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Applied. Wanna try silly botes.

Griz
May 21, 2001

I think you accidentally got rejected, apply again

fleetbattles are up for the next 1h15

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Played this game over a month ago. Enjoyed it a lot more than WoW. Still a newbie but I'd possibly like to join up with you guys when I get back in town (2 weeks).

Why'd they add the Repulse? She was a battlecruiser not a battleship. She was a cool ship but seems out of place. Are there other battlecruisers in the game that I missed?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Panfilo posted:

-Any weapon or equipment upgrades that are worth taking early? Like better radar or sonar?

Guns and radar. If you don't feel guns are easily the most valuable you don't shoot enough.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Goddamn these pubbies are heavy sometimes. I was in a 6 v. 6 and ended up getting 4 kills and being forced to cap because I was literally out of ammo from doing all the shooting for my team and the idiot BB pubbies on my side refused to shoot the remaining enemy Bayern.

I'm starting to consider changing back to the Pepsicola's power-guns solely because I keep loving running out of ammunition from shooting too many people.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 13, 2016

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Panfilo posted:

Use renown to get commanders, nothing else.

That Jerk Steve
Oct 18, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Fubuki at T3. Atlanta at T4. I swear by my T5 Porter, but just because I prefer DD guns over a bunch of torps. Laforey at T6 is insane but premium only

I don't play BB, CV or CA often so there you go.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Panfilo posted:

2 - Nothing in particular
3 - The Fubuki by a landslide
4 - Wyoming, Hatsu (fully upgraded), Atlanta, both CVs can do well
5 - Porter/Shira depending on what you like, Pensacola, Nevada, Ise
6 - Asashio, Pennsylvania, Myoko, Laforey (it was on sale :argh:)

It'll be a while till you hit 7.

Also buy equipment for ships you plan on keeping, and once you hit like tier 5 you can start buying it for most ships since you'll definitely make the money back before moving on to the next.

EDIT: VVVVV Yes, the 7 day versions only cost credits, not gold. Buy them because they actually do things in this game beyond look good.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 13, 2016

That Jerk Steve
Oct 18, 2011

Mazz posted:

Also buy equipment for ships you plan on keeping, and once you hit like tier 5 you can start buying it for most ships since you'll definitely make the money back before moving on to the next.

Also don't forget camo and your goon pride flag.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The pride flag is actually really helpful because it regenerates your captain's points faster, and 300m less range of being spotted is worth a pittance of silver each week.

Lazermaniac
Sep 2, 2007
Do not stare into beam with remaining eye.
Applied to the fleet. Is there a set of guidelines on how to not suck with torpedoes? I only seem to be able to hit stationary targets with the drat things.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Applied again.

Also Subs can be surprisingly effective

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
I'm getting a little better each day. Subs are definitely fun, especially when you catch some distracted player with their pants down. I also noticed people tend to have trouble dealing with both airplanes and subs at the same time.

Feels like to be effective with CV, it's better to focus on scouting early on then when everybodys in a scrum pick off distracted or crippled enemies. Submerged subs are pretty slow and I sank a few with torpedo bombers because they couldn't quickly get out of the way.

I just have to avoid the temptation to yolo it up with my DD or cl because it never ends well. Slow and steady wins the race.

Thanks for letting me in the fleet. I donated 899g to help the cause.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Lazermaniac posted:

Applied to the fleet. Is there a set of guidelines on how to not suck with torpedoes? I only seem to be able to hit stationary targets with the drat things.

Make a quick estimate or how far you need to lead a ship, then aim well further than your estimate.

Also if your target isn't poo poo they'll dodge it unless you're really close. Making a ship turn will screw up their aim, which is good

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah. Sometimes you fire torpedoes just to force your enemy to evade them with no real expectation they will hit.

One tip though is to not blow your whole load at once on an enemy you're closing with. Fire enough torpedoes to force them to evade. Then, once they've committed to the dodge, fire the rest to cross their escape path.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 13, 2016

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Mazz posted:

2 - Nothing in particular
3 - The Fubuki by a landslide
4 - Wyoming, Hatsu (fully upgraded), Atlanta, both CVs can do well
5 - Porter/Shira depending on what you like, Pensacola, Nevada, Ise
6 - Asashio, Pennsylvania, Myoko, Laforey (it was on sale :argh:)

Sub-wise, the Japanese line is really strong at I-19 (tier 5) - 28 knots upgraded with like 1 or two +1 knot commanders, submerged it's like 18 or more. The t6 (I-58) only does 22 knots on the surface with same commanders, no engine upgrades available, which makes it much harder to close to good torpedo range than the I-19. The t6 does have some insane side-path torp upgrade - you can get massive damage torps that are much slower, but on a slower boat probably not very useful. The t4 japanese sub is basically a whale, easy to hit and whatnot but 8 forward tubes (0 aft), and very much worth it to get to the I-19.

Subs seem to be largely balanced and what nation to use is based on your desired playstyle (German subs seem to be very small and don't have a ton of tubes generally, American fairly balanced and have tubes at bow/stern, Japanese have big subs and mostly or all bow tubes). There are definitely standouts at certain tiers for each nation though so depending upon which tier matches you are playing or enjoy I'd choose a nation based on that. Subs feel fairly weak in the early tiers in comparison to the later ones, partially because there's so many more DD/CL's at lower tiers, and because their speed and time they can be submerged makes it harder to get close, but are a lot of fun after the early tier frustrations. I find them way more fun than destroyers at 5 or higher.

re: CV's - use torpedo bombers for everything, fighters or scouts to scout. I use scouts to lead 2 groups of torpedo bombers if I don't already have a good view on hostile ships, but fighters work pretty well too, scouts just tend to have a wider scouting radius and by dying they actually free me up to launch more 5-planes flights. Try to route your planes around enemies that you aren't trying to hit though - enemies that are aware they are being hunting by planes are way more of a challenge. Terrain works great for this, too.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah. Sometimes you fire torpedoes just to force your enemy to evade them with no real expectation they will hit.

One tip though is to not blow your whole load at once on an enemy you're closing with. Fire enough torpedoes to force them to evade. Then, once they've committed to the dodge, fire the rest to cross their escape path.

Very much this - it's part of why having 6 or more forward tubes can be useful. Keep 2 or 3 so if the BB turns in to you or starts reversing (as you are continuing to close) you can drop some in to him with a near guaranteed chance to hit.

Pervis fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 13, 2016

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
This game is pretty great. Not sure if I'll be able to any Fleet battles due to time constraints but I applied as Target Practice anyway.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Thanks for all the tips. I know the big weakness of the IJN subs is that they're huge and easy to hit, but having so much offense in your bow is great, and I'm looking forward to being able to use a scout plane at higher tiers. Very good to have on a stealthy but slow platform.

A tip I heard for carriers is to have two squadrons close together, an expendible group and a bomber group. Typically enemy ships will get the lead indicator for the sacrificial planes making the bombers harder to hit.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Yeah I don't have subs on the list because I haven't played them thus far. In fleet battles they tend to fall off in usefulness because you can pretty easily avoid and/or CV them since lots of people run destroyer or CV heavy. They can be great in pubs tho, if you can lead your shots accordingly.

One big thing with leading torps is that they really don't travel that fast, you need to get them pretty far out in front of you are trying to shoot at anything past a kilometer. Biggest mistake I see is people dumping them way too early which makes them easy to avoid. I tend to aim pretty far out in my destroyers and them work backwards towards the boat if I have to shoot from past about 1.5 kilometers. Most of the time I try to hang on as long as possible by using smoke and/or island cover. Easier said than done against a good BB though.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
What are the fleet perks? I know I can kick forward silver/gold to help upgrade our capacity, but what do training exercises do? How can I get bonus stuff? :)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think I have now seen the dumbest pubby in the game. A pensecola spent 3 minutes circling our cap in a night game while an enemy DD capped it, the whole team yelling at him to put a flare in there while he whines and whimpers 'I can't see the target! I can't seeeee!'

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
The steam forums for this game are virtually unreadable. I don't think anybody there is a native English speaker. Every post looks like its been through some translator 3 times over.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Panfilo posted:

What are the fleet perks? I know I can kick forward silver/gold to help upgrade our capacity, but what do training exercises do? How can I get bonus stuff? :)

training exercise is a small bonus to exp/silver for one battle that's claimable from your rewards button whenever one of the officers clicks the button. the building thing is a significant bonus to exp/silver for an hour, usable once a week through the Build button on the main page of the fleet screen.

being in a fleet also enables the weekly events for 2 fleet battle wins and 10 regular game wins.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Has anybody been having crash to desktop issues? Hoping this is a known bug and not a hardware issue.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

High tier steel ocean.jpeg

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

High tier steel ocean.jpeg

That's impressive, winning with Tweedledee on your team.

edit:

Platonicsolid posted:

Has anybody been having crash to desktop issues? Hoping this is a known bug and not a hardware issue.

Every once in a while I crash with no warning in the middle of a game, I have no idea what causes it.
My game also freezes for 15-30 seconds when going from the loading screen to battle and when leaving battle, but I don't think that has anything to do with it. Loading times are pretty fast apart from the freezing.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 14, 2016

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Platonicsolid posted:

Have of this game's steam forum is bad players accusing Dark Judge of hacking. Nothing of value has ever been discussed there.

The 4chan thread for this game is alright, if you tolerate anime posting.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Griz posted:

training exercise is a small bonus to exp/silver for one battle that's claimable from your rewards button whenever one of the officers clicks the button. the building thing is a significant bonus to exp/silver for an hour, usable once a week through the Build button on the main page of the fleet screen.

being in a fleet also enables the weekly events for 2 fleet battle wins and 10 regular game wins.

There's also one weekly event for 15 wins that gives 540 merit. Considering the challenge of getting merit it's more than worth if even if you can't do fleet battles (like me).

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012

Mazz posted:

They drop a significant amount of total damage though and 40 pen off the already kinda low 202, pretty sure 160 is too low for the deck armor of the German boats.
Yeah, but it's plenty for smashing destroyers halfway across the map, 4 of which accounted for the 6 kills I got last game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

dpidz0r posted:

Yeah, but it's plenty for smashing destroyers halfway across the map, 4 of which accounted for the 6 kills I got last game.

It's also really easy to hit destroyers with the high-precision/fire rate guns, and smashing the enemy's scouts is always worthwhile.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Is merit the same as renown?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Renown counts towards that military rank thing up by the corner near your name. You can basically ignore it as long as you keep doing battles since it's basically another way of getting free stuff every odd month or so.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Renown is rank points, you get it for doing well in battles. As you go up in tier the multiplier increases, 5 and 6 are 2x

Merit is how you buy crew, you get it from events and end of week/month things.

Qualification is what you use to promote sailors (2 stars, 3 stars etc), you get it from the top 4 renown ranks at the end of the month, and from when you get a repeat commander in the recruitment thing.

If you're going to poopsock, poopsock at tier V+ for the better renown rate since 250 qualification for ultimate poopsock status is actually a p. good reward.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 14, 2016

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

Panfilo posted:

I'm getting a little better each day. Subs are definitely fun, especially when you catch some distracted player with their pants down. I also noticed people tend to have trouble dealing with both airplanes and subs at the same time.

I just recently starting play DDs, mainly to get the commander you get at tier 5 to replace some of the garbage I have, and I can already tell the best thing is when an enemy BB just ignores a cloud of smoke popping up about a kilometer behind it while it's all alone in the back.

Yeah, I'm sure it's nothing, you'll be fine.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Yeah, bad BBs that sit still in sniper mode are the best.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pand posted:

Yeah, bad BBs that sit still in sniper mode are the best.

The worst part is how rarely these people actually fire their goddamn guns, too. I had a ton of games yesterday where the pubby BBs refused to fire at anything I was spotting or move into range to engage enemy BBs. Just sat there bleating about 'nothing in range! Can't help!' until a DD ran up and torped them, while I'm stuck trying to fight off two Porters and a BB with my Kongo's secondaries.

Almost won, too. I was 200 HP away from taking out the second Porter when he managed to get off a close-range torpwall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
It's amazing how few people use their guns in general. I have killed Atlantas in my DDs, DDs with 3-4x my health and DDs a tier above me all because they are trying to torp instead of just loving shooting. Atlantas wasting 25-30 seconds trying to line up torp shots makes my blood boil.

The one big negative in this game is that I haven't gotten this mad at pubbies since World of Tanks.

• Locked thread