Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

These past few episodes were quite rad. Considering this week's ending and the preview for next week I'm honestly not sure if Law will die or not. We're in the post-Whitebeard/Ace world now.. Also speaking of last week I was sure Zoro's eye was going to open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Finally things are moving along.

I was worried for a while we were going to get a Bellamy flashback to his adventures on Sky Island but fortunately Luffy just clobbered him :) Now he can go lend Law a hand.

I don't think Law will die as all he has to do is wait for Luffy to distract Trebol and Doffy for a bit then he can use the OP-OP powers to pull the bullets out.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Zark the Damned posted:

Finally things are moving along.

I was worried for a while we were going to get a Bellamy flashback to his adventures on Sky Island but fortunately Luffy just clobbered him :) Now he can go lend Law a hand.

I don't think Law will die as all he has to do is wait for Luffy to distract Trebol and Doffy for a bit then he can use the OP-OP powers to pull the bullets out.

I'd be surprised if he did die but his situation certainly seems grimmer than many. Though ofc someone still needs to take down Trébol. Also I guess CP0 might make an appearance. Hoping the factory explosion means Kaidou will show up some time in the next year

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Man, I still think the Hajrudin vs Machvise scene is my favorite of this arc so far, followed by Zoro's Sanzen Sekai attack on Pica:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s3alaPoylc

The voice acting is really well done IMO.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Barely anything happened this episode. :sigh:

When you subtract the intro, previous episode recap, and next episode preview, there's like 10 minutes of new footage. That's not even counting the filler and recycled animation.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

It's better that way. Just skip 8 minutes in, and then the stuff you actually watch is better paced.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
So I read all the manga and started the anime with my girlfriend a bit ago. We just hit marineford. More specifically Luffy was shot over the walls in front of three admirals.
Some thoughts. Bon Clay is the most straw hat character in the show not named Luffy. Crocodile should be worth way more than 80 million. Skypeia was amazing. Impel down was amazing. Buggy is amazing. One piece is amazing.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

RC Cola posted:

So I read all the manga and started the anime with my girlfriend a bit ago. We just hit marineford. More specifically Luffy was shot over the walls in front of three admirals.
Some thoughts. Bon Clay is the most straw hat character in the show not named Luffy. Crocodile should be worth way more than 80 million. Skypeia was amazing. Impel down was amazing. Buggy is amazing. One piece is amazing.

Look at this guy with all his controversial opinions.

Good thing they are all 100% correct. My only complaint was skypeia and marineford are reeeeaaaaalllllly long arcs.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

RC Cola posted:

These are accurate opinions.

Concerning recent events: Come on, Bellamy, you fell for that punch the last time too... I'm really glad to see that Luffy discovered that he can do everything Bellamy can too. It was a nice tribute, but I really wish it had amounted to something though. :(

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Crazyeyes posted:

Look at this guy with all his controversial opinions.

Good thing they are all 100% correct. My only complaint was skypeia and marineford are reeeeaaaaalllllly long arcs.

Long yes. But the build up to the golden ball punch into the Bell was worth it.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Shadow0 posted:

These are accurate opinions.

Concerning recent events: Come on, Bellamy, you fell for that punch the last time too... I'm really glad to see that Luffy discovered that he can do everything Bellamy can too. It was a nice tribute, but I really wish it had amounted to something though. :(

Part of me was kinda hoping that was the actual point of the fight i.e. Bellamy going 'Hey Luffy your power is similar to mine use this move on Doffy' rather than just 'I am a colossal idiot please punch me'.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Zark the Damned posted:

Part of me was kinda hoping that was the actual point of the fight i.e. Bellamy going 'Hey Luffy your power is similar to mine use this move on Doffy' rather than just 'I am a colossal idiot please punch me'.

I am quite sure Bellamy wanted Luffy to kill him because he'd rather be killed by his idol than live with the shame. Despite his desire to be a part of Doflamingo's crew, it was shown that he had been looking up to Luffy for some time by that point.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

RC Cola posted:

Crocodile should be worth way more than 80 million.
80 million was what his bounty was frozen at when he became a warlord. If he had continued to pirate around it would have been much higher, especially considering his interest in the ponegliffs. Also as far as Logia's are concerned though he actually has a pretty glaring weakness that the navy would surely know about.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 7, 2015

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Bellamy wanted to show he'd be willing to die for his dream.

The fact that is was to Luffy himself, the man who showed him the importance of dreams, was the cruel iron of his position.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Oh boy! It's the next episode of One Piece! :neckbeard:

*click*

Wait, what? Another episode of... Foxy?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! :gonk:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Oh boy! It's the next episode of One Piece! :neckbeard:

*click*

Wait, what? Another episode of... Foxy?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! :gonk:

I don't understand why Foxy seems to be so popular. Every episode he is in is terrible.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Man, I still think the Hajrudin vs Machvise scene is my favorite of this arc so far, followed by Zoro's Sanzen Sekai attack on Pica:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s3alaPoylc

The voice acting is really well done IMO.

Zoro vs Pica was awful. The music and animation were both so bad.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Senor Candle posted:

I don't understand why Foxy seems to be so popular. Every episode he is in is terrible.

I'll take the occasional Foxy filler arc over the current pacing of the average episode

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Fawf posted:

I'll take the occasional Foxy filler arc over the current pacing of the average episode

I'd rather take 6 weeks without an episode than another loving foxy arc. There are so many better options for filler arcs/episodes. Just take the cover page stories and animate them.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Thoren posted:

Zoro vs Pica was awful. The music and animation were both so bad.

I dunno, I liked it in the manga so it's nice to see it animated. :shobon:

I'm not a fan of Haki being a Super Saiyan pew pew aura though. It's fine as an outer covering, the rainbow colors and lightning bolts are a bit excessive.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I don't understand what's not to like about Foxy. I really enjoyed the Foxy arcs. Especially enjoyed it a lot more than this pacing.

Also, not a fan of haki overall. It was cool in moderation, but now it's kind of gone DBZ on itself. Also, yeah, those wavy lines are pretty lame imo.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Shadow0 posted:

I don't understand what's not to like about Foxy. I really enjoyed the Foxy arcs. Especially enjoyed it a lot more than this pacing.

Also, not a fan of haki overall. It was cool in moderation, but now it's kind of gone DBZ on itself. Also, yeah, those wavy lines are pretty lame imo.

Canon Foxy is okay.

Filler Foxy is aggravating and annoying.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Well, based off of this week's episode preview, it looks like...

:siren: (MAJOR MANGA SPOILERS FOR ANIME-ONLY VIEWERS) :siren:

We'll finally be getting to see Gear Fourth animated this coming weekend. It'll probably be at the tail-end of the next episode with actual Gear Fourth action the following episode, but great timing for the start of the new year! Looking forward to it! :neckbeard:

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
It doesn't actually show it yet, as we thought. I streamed it from funimation.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

galahan posted:

It doesn't actually show it yet, as we thought. I streamed it from funimation.

Technically it shows the transformation in the preview.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Apparently Naotoshi Shida is supposed to be animating the next episode, which is the A-lister animator for when Toei blows their animation budget on key scenes (examples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrQiIZp7hEk ).

So... Get hyped? :confuoot:

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Apparently Naotoshi Shida is supposed to be animating the next episode, which is the A-lister animator for when Toei blows their animation budget on key scenes (examples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrQiIZp7hEk ).

So... Get hyped? :confuoot:

I don't like his work to be honest with you. I don't like how he tends to make everything become extremely wavy and the bodies start to look like they're made of water and start going off model. I always appreciated Oda's artstyle for everything being very direct and everything looking like it has a ton of impact which is the opposite of how this guy likes to animate the scenes.

For example Sabo's firefist looks better in the episode of Sabo to me because it feels like it's a massive burst of power and has immediate impact on the arena, whereas when this guy animates it the fire goes all over the place for no reason at all and has it be a constant stream of wavy fire pushing down and destroying the arena fairly slowly, instead of one powerful blast that destroys the arena in an instant. Just alot of small things like that I don't like with his work which I feel he does to try and make the scene cooler and ends up having the opposite effect because my eye is always drawn to how silly the character models or effects look.

In fact that's the problem I had with the preview, just alot of exaggerated and unnecessary movement in the preview like with Luffys leg twisting on the spot for no reason or the arm expanding like something out of bloody Akira.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Just lol if you think they aren't gonna draw this out to painful levels. Half if not more of the episode will be a slow reveal and flashbacks. Episode will probably end soon after the first punch is thrown.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Crazyeyes posted:

Just lol if you think they aren't gonna draw this out to painful levels. Half if not more of the episode will be a slow reveal and flashbacks. Episode will probably end soon after the first punch is thrown.

I hope they at least show (manga spoilers) Kong Gun or whatever with the Kamehameha stance that blows Doffy through several buildings at once. That was pretty sick to see in the manga.

Also, :effort: lazy quote from manga thread:

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

While you're still waiting for the next One Piece chapter episode to drop, please enjoy this Aokiji-themed chillwave video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0rp7zSW1Oc :okpos:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 13, 2016

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Asuron posted:

I don't like his work to be honest with you. I don't like how he tends to make everything become extremely wavy and the bodies start to look like they're made of water and start going off model. I always appreciated Oda's artstyle for everything being very direct and everything looking like it has a ton of impact which is the opposite of how this guy likes to animate the scenes.

For example Sabo's firefist looks better in the episode of Sabo to me because it feels like it's a massive burst of power and has immediate impact on the arena, whereas when this guy animates it the fire goes all over the place for no reason at all and has it be a constant stream of wavy fire pushing down and destroying the arena fairly slowly, instead of one powerful blast that destroys the arena in an instant. Just alot of small things like that I don't like with his work which I feel he does to try and make the scene cooler and ends up having the opposite effect because my eye is always drawn to how silly the character models or effects look.

In fact that's the problem I had with the preview, just alot of exaggerated and unnecessary movement in the preview like with Luffys leg twisting on the spot for no reason or the arm expanding like something out of bloody Akira.

:same:, though I think it works better with the older animation, when they had more budget (Luffy vs Lucci is one of the best fights of the series, hands down)

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I don't even care what it looks like anymore. I just want something to happen this year. How long is this arc? Have we even seen Sanji in the last literal year?

My wife breathed just before the preview: "what if there's a gear four?"

Yeah, it's wobbly Akira poo poo. Fine. Just progress already!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's Toei animation studio. They don't DO "fast progression"

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Fix posted:

I don't even care what it looks like anymore. I just want something to happen this year. How long is this arc? Have we even seen Sanji in the last literal year?

My wife breathed just before the preview: "what if there's a gear four?"

Yeah, it's wobbly Akira poo poo. Fine. Just progress already!

welcome to 0.75-1 chapter an episode adaption of an 100 chapter arc.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Yeah luffy is just cheating at this point

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

They finally made a good episode.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Finally. The moment we have all been waiting for.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Monkeys, typewriters, etc

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I'm just looking forward to some good Filler after Dressrosa. Surely they could pad it out with some adventures with the missing crew?

The Film z & G8 filler were really good. Or is that just me?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Holy hell fourth gear is loving ridiculous on a multiple levels. It's something a bad guy turns into right before he is about to be defeated. I don't know why but I got video game vibes from it. Was it meant to similar to those opera samurai that kinda hop on one foot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
gear fourth is cool and my friend and I won't let you talk bad about it

he is now a cross between a basketball and akuma from street fighter