Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

RugClockVexx posted:

I still don't really get what the addiction demon is or how it functions. There was that one throwaway line from March- did I miss something that explained it a little more?

A little late, but I was watching the latest episode again and noticed near the end March had another kind of throwaway line where he called it "my addiction demon" as though it belonged to him somehow. Which knowing this show could mean absolutely nothing, but I thought it was a little interesting detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
For some reason I thought that demon got rid of the ghosts that didn't have a purpose or something.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Said it before, but the demon means about as much as the Minotaur did in Coven, and I'm pretty surprised they even still bother to mention it. I'm convinced it was one of those ideas Murphy had that seemed cool and shocking and gave the season a more unique supernatural bit (considering Drake's kid sees it in the first episode,) and then pretty much forgot about it. Arguably, the same happened to Sally, considering the most memorable thing she had done until half the season was over was spit teeth at Scarlett for no reason.

To be fair, her relationship with John and contribution to his downward spiral sort of makes sense, as did the bit with the musicians to explain her habit of sewing people in mattresses, silly as it was.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Hostile V posted:

Y'know actually I think you could have Peters play Liz Taylor and O'Hare play March and it'd still be pretty good.

I was thinking that too but Peters is too young to play Liz Taylor as well. I would have cast Peters as the Detective or Donovan. Him playing off of Gaga as a jealous lover or him trying real hard on his first case would have been much more interesting angles than the current actors and storylines they had performed. Not that Peters is bad at March, I just think that the current detective and Donovan are trash actors.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doltos posted:

I was thinking that too but Peters is too young to play Liz Taylor as well. I would have cast Peters as the Detective or Donovan. Him playing off of Gaga as a jealous lover or him trying real hard on his first case would have been much more interesting angles than the current actors and storylines they had performed. Not that Peters is bad at March, I just think that the current detective and Donovan are trash actors.

I don't know, I'm not going to drat the Detective's acting skills given his story line is the most confused mess out of all of them.

Really, the show might have even been improved by rendering him a background and not main character. It's got very little to do with what's going on outside of March's plans. They will clearly going for a Silent Hill vibe with him for a while but I think that's over with now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Tonight on American Horror Story: "Be Our Guest"

Iris and Liz oversee a new era at the Cortez; John and Alex struggle to adapt to life outside the hotel.

I won't be able to watch this until tomorrow so I'll be judging the finale by how many unread posts this thread gets.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Doltos posted:

He couldn't have been Donovan. He's been "sulky love interest" in every run, it's good to see him get to play something livelier. It's actually been a pretty good run for that. Sally is very different from most of Sarah Paulson's characters. And Lily Rabe's character wasn't even a little bit sweet.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Tonight's prediction: everybody dies except Scarlett because she hasn't done anything wrong because she's a normal little girl.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

I finally finished watching season 3 and completely ignoring the fact that it was supposed to be American Horror Story made it tolerable. And now I know about knotty pine! I'm up to Freak Show now and holy poo poo it's a slog.

OmegaBR posted:

Said it before, but the demon means about as much as the Minotaur did in Coven, and I'm pretty surprised they even still bother to mention it. I'm convinced it was one of those ideas Murphy had that seemed cool and shocking and gave the season a more unique supernatural bit (considering Drake's kid sees it in the first episode,) and then pretty much forgot about it. Arguably, the same happened to Sally, considering the most memorable thing she had done until half the season was over was spit teeth at Scarlett for no reason.

To be fair, her relationship with John and contribution to his downward spiral sort of makes sense, as did the bit with the musicians to explain her habit of sewing people in mattresses, silly as it was.

It seems like there's at least one thing a season that's really built up and then abandoned as just "Yep, it's a weird thing that exists" - like the Infantata in Murder House or a lot of the alien stuff in Asylum.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Doltos posted:

I agree that Donovan is one of the weaker actors of the bunch, but I think the part is too much like what Peters has played the last four seasons. This show has always had an incredible cast, the problem is with the writing staff. Peters, Paulson, Bates, Gaga, Winningham and O'Hare have all been amazing and bringing life to the sloppily written characters this season. I love how insecure March seems around the countess, just from the little face and body language Peters puts into the act. I'm a little sad that Lily Rabe only had a short cameo, because she was also great.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Kimmalah posted:

I finally finished watching season 3 and completely ignoring the fact that it was supposed to be American Horror Story made it tolerable. And now I know about knotty pine! I'm up to Freak Show now and holy poo poo it's a slog.

Freak Show is good for the Pinhead episode and certain parts of the final arc. I recall there might have even been some hints about how the different seasons fit together in one of Jessica Lange's last scenes.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

AHS has so many unlikable characters, and, on paper, Liz Taylor should be one of them. A deadbeat father who left his son to live selfishly in the hotel as the Countess does, turning a blind eye to all the torture and murder, and actually does very little in the series beyond making smarmy comments about all the goings on, particularly as John descends into madness.

And yet, Liz is one of the better, most likable characters across the past few seasons. Maybe it's that she's naturally more interesting at first glance, but I think a lot of it has to do with her relationship with Iris, which, unlike her relationship with Tristan, was actually allowed time to grow and given reason behind it. Iris isn't exactly a great character on paper either, curmudgeon with a vague past as a loopy fad/cult loving mother, but her connection to Liz gave us something more to love beyond being Donno's Mrs. Bates.

I guess they're just a fun pair, in no small part due to how much they contrast to the ridiculousness around them (and their knack of actively criticizing it.)

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
It helps that they are both amazing actors, because Iris is a pretty lame character tbh.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Okay, this season is dumb, but I like that the reaction to another murder in their new hotel is a mildly peeved "This has got to stop."

Like it's just getting annoying at this point. (Because wouldn't it?)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

American Horror Story: Rehab

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!
What the hell is this episode? It's like a bizarre reunion special or something. Everybody's friends now, let's all come together to help Liz and save the hotel!

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Second mention of this Thatcher School. Seems like an obvious season six locale.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
"the lumberjack" :lol:

this is amazing

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Ryan Murphy: What if there was a fashion show so exclusive and enchanting that all the models were ghosts and no cameras were allowed? *writes an entire season of television to explain how that could happen*

OmegaBR posted:

Second mention of this Thatcher School. Seems like an obvious season six locale.

I thought this, too but remember season six will be AHS: CAMP

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

What a disappointing ending (did it end with Gaga talking to the guy at the bar?). The first half of the episode was better than the second. It felt like two different episodes.

Also disappointed with the direction they took the Coven Sarah Paulson's character, but I guess that's a reflection of how much people didn't like that season. They could have made some other character a sellout.

the truth fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 14, 2016

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

the truth posted:

What a disappointing ending (did it end with Gaga talking to the guy at the bar?). The first half of the episode was better than the second. It felt like two different episodes.

To be fair this could be said of all the AHS finales.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
give a ghost an iphone

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

It's too bad the second half wasn't as good. There wasn't much of a conclusion in the final scene (which could make sense given the fact that these ghosts will continue to just hang out for an eternity), which is why I was curious if there was a problem with my recording.

the truth fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 14, 2016

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

timp posted:

I thought this, too but remember season six will be AHS: CAMP

Isn't that Scream Queens?

Lucania
May 1, 2009

the truth posted:

Also disappointed with the direction they took the Coven Sarah Paulson's character, but I guess that's a reflection of how much people didn't like that season. They could have made some other character a sellout.

That wasn't her Coven character, that was her Murder House character - she was the psychic that Constance used to get in contact with Tate.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Well that's pretty much what you could have expected from an AHS finale. Shiny new setting, excuses to kill off several characters in a timely manner, several plot points either not explained (Addiction Demon) or waved away with a sentence (we sent him to the best school,) and all the drama is erased so everybody can be a big happy family because death doesn't matter and never really did and it took them 12 episodes to realize that.

I mean, that's pretty much the only conclusion you can draw when dead characters still act like they're alive. Nothing matters in the end.

Iris putting a ghost on the internet and Sally becoming a social media addict was goofy as hell, but I'm amazed at how they can still amaze me with stuff like that. That was a timely football reference Iris made too.

The whole Billie Dean Howard thing ... eh. It was just a repeat of the killer's party after all. They could have spent that time giving the Lowes a slightly better conclusion than "ah let's go back to the Cortez after all."

The Addiction Demon, the fate of the remaining vampire kids, Gaga's son Bartholomew - all largely unexplained. Oh well. Probably forgetting some other stuff.

Hey, it kept my attention. And drat if the characters weren't compelling to watch, even if they were constantly a mixed bag. It's like they cut the offensiveness of Coven with the spectacle of Asylum and the drabness of Freak Show (with a little sprinkle of the bonds from Murder House.) The result, not so bad I guess.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
oh gently caress you show

e: but still lol

Reivur
Nov 9, 2013

OmegaBR posted:

AHS has so many unlikable characters, and, on paper, Liz Taylor should be one of them. A deadbeat father who left his son to live selfishly in the hotel as the Countess does, turning a blind eye to all the torture and murder, and actually does very little in the series beyond making smarmy comments about all the goings on, particularly as John descends into madness.

And yet, Liz is one of the better, most likable characters across the past few seasons. Maybe it's that she's naturally more interesting at first glance, but I think a lot of it has to do with her relationship with Iris, which, unlike her relationship with Tristan, was actually allowed time to grow and given reason behind it. Iris isn't exactly a great character on paper either, curmudgeon with a vague past as a loopy fad/cult loving mother, but her connection to Liz gave us something more to love beyond being Donno's Mrs. Bates.

I guess they're just a fun pair, in no small part due to how much they contrast to the ridiculousness around them (and their knack of actively criticizing it.)

Hmm. When I think about it, probably the 'nicest' characters in the series as a whole was probably Bates's Bearded Lady (Ethel) and Rabe's Misty Day... I suppose Mary Eunice also qualifies, but that went downhill fast beyond her own control.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Lucania posted:

That wasn't her Coven character, that was her Murder House character - she was the psychic that Constance used to get in contact with Tate.

Ah, my bad. I forgot she was even in the first season.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
oh hi where'd you come from

e: like did he get killed off last episode I honestly can't remember

e2: ah, there we go. I think.

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 14, 2016

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

OmegaBR posted:

Iris putting a ghost on the internet and Sally becoming a social media addict was goofy as hell, but I'm amazed at how they can still amaze me with stuff like that.

the fate of the remaining vampire kids,

I liked social media Sally a whole lot.

The only remaining vampire kid is Holden. The girl ran in front of a truck and the boys sacrificed themselves for Gaga after she was shot.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

OmegaBR posted:

the fate of the remaining vampire kids

That was very much explained. All of the school kids got eaten by Ramona after they were trapped in the hallway. The Countess eats the rest of the vampire kids that she was keeping in order to revive herself. So, all the kids were eaten (except for Lowe kids.)

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
"a jawline for days" did I hear that right?

well I didn't hate the second half. It seemed like he was trying to tie some of all this poo poo together at least.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

bull3964 posted:

That was very much explained. All of the school kids got eaten by Ramona after they were trapped in the hallway. The Countess eats the rest of the vampire kids that she was keeping in order to revive herself. So, all the kids were eaten (except for Lowe kids.)

I meant the remaining Gaga kids rather than the school ones. But I guess I assumed there were more than just Holden, Ren, and the two boys who revived her. Still, her baby remains in room 33 doing a whole lot of nothing without anyone to feed him.

For that matter, they kind of waved away Iris feeding on "donated" blood, as if she could just go down to the blood bank and ask for some.

Also, if Iris and Liz got the money for the renovation from selling the Countess's art, couldn't the Countess have just done that herself instead of this convoluted plot to seduce and murder Drake? Unless they were referring to pieces he had sent to the hotel, but I suppose she'd rather keep it either way.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I guess the implication of the final scene was that devil's night is the one night of the year when the countess can get some strange? Normally March won't let her seduce a living man, but on devil's night he's busy with his serial killer party so she can do what she wants.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
great a second opportunity to :gonk: at sally's backstory

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

OmegaBR posted:

Still, her baby remains in room 33 doing a whole lot of nothing without anyone to feed him.

Gaga can feed him herself. It's the Cortez. Heck, she probably spends more time with him now than she used to, since she no longer needs to spend time eating or sleeping, and her only other choices for company are a bunch of people who hate her or March.

Wait, is her overgrown fetus baby a vampire too? If so Doctormompire probably manages blood acquisition since she's taking care of herself and Holden anyway. And Isis is getting 'donated' blood from somewhere. No reason to let the little freak starve.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The season was entertaining at least.

"Here's what happened to all the ghosts of the hotel (except for all the hundreds and hundreds of other people who died in it over the years)"

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I liked the last episode. Nothing mind blowing but entertaining and I liked Liz Taylor as always. Even the detective wasn't as annoying as usual (but still annoying).

Overall a pretty good season, I still think season 2 was the best (though it had some stupid poo poo too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I thought the finale was good. In fact I think this was the best season since Asylum by a wide margin. An impressive rebound from Freak Show, which sucked.

• Locked thread