Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Cranky does seem to be a bit too happy for my liking in this game. Maybe it's because his lazy good-for-nothing son (grandson?) finally took him along on an adventure instead of sending him to a retirement home and never visiting. Frankly, after all the verbal and physical abuse DK's gotten from him over the years, I wouldn't blame DK for severing, but they seem to be getting along now so good for them.

Also, the puns in this latest video were so awful that I couldn't have managed worse myself. Good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Its just something to take his mind off of Wrinkly Kong's passing :smith:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Blind Sally posted:

I quickly threw together an Aquatic Ambiance Remix playlist for anyone interested. There are more, so if anyone knows of any good ones, please send me links:

AQUATIC AMBIANCE REMIX PLAYLIST

STICKERBUSH SYMPHONY AND FOREST INTERLUDE PLAYLISTS NOW PLEASE GOOD SIR AND THANK YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I thought someone in this very LP suggested that maybe Cranky was just high as gently caress, but I could be wrong.

If I am, consider: Maybe Cranky is just high as gently caress.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
He's happy that he gets to relive his glory days, back when it was him striking fear into plumbers and distressed damsels everywhere with the name Donkey Kong. For there is only one thing that truly makes Cranky happy, and that is the death of his foes. In this, he and the current Donkey Kong are in full agreement.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Well he seems to have gotten his hands on the barrelpunk equivalent of Excalibur, so maybe he's just overcome with blood-lust. All shall kneel before his cane.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Color Printer posted:

I thought someone in this very LP suggested that maybe Cranky was just high as gently caress, but I could be wrong.

If I am, consider: Maybe Cranky is just high as gently caress.
Alternate theory: Cranky has hit the peak of "Old Man Not Giving a gently caress" status, and just wants to let the world know.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

What I'm getting out of this video is that blind sally and geop need to do a vid together and just sling puns everywhere.

e: I can kind of see why there's no animal buddies, the levels here are the stars. The SNES couldn't do as much and so adding places where you controlled differently helped differentiate parts, and now that levels can transform themselves and poo poo it's not as needed.

But maybe now that they've had two games about DK+pals they could ease into one or two more animal friends. Like I think squitter can't really work anymore but maybe some of the others that are kind of smaller departures like running faster or jumping higher could work...

I think it's more that animal buddies functioned as powerups in the original trilogy whereas now you have the other kongs fulfilling the same general function, plus Rambi as a sort of legacy thing

also little known fact tarantino takes name ideas from donkey kong country

Looper fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 12, 2016

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

AradoBalanga posted:

Alternate theory: Cranky has hit the peak of "Old Man Not Giving a gently caress" status, and just wants to let the world know.

Actually I like this better.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Derek Barona posted:

STICKERBUSH SYMPHONY AND FOREST INTERLUDE PLAYLISTS NOW PLEASE GOOD SIR AND THANK YOU

Yeah, no probs. Started throwing together some lists. Grabbed ones I was already familiar with. I'll throw on new ones as I find them.

STICKERBRUSH SYMPHONY REMIX PLAYLIST

FOREST INTERLUDE REMIX PLAYLIST

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Derek Barona posted:

THANK YOU FOR TELLING ME WHAT THAT SECOND SONG'S NAME IS

Blind Sally posted:

Yeah, no probs. Started throwing together some lists. Grabbed ones I was already familiar with. I'll throw on new ones as I find them.

STICKERBRUSH SYMPHONY REMIX PLAYLIST

FOREST INTERLUDE REMIX PLAYLIST

THIS PLEASES ME[/Brian Blessed]

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It's a passion.

Or a sickness? I love video game remixes.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I'm surprised you didn't have any OCRemixes in the Ambiance playlist.

*Checks Symphony*

*Finds The Delay*

YEEEEESSSSSSSS

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
OCRemix is great, but they're easy to find. I like trying to find the obscure ones done by random people on the internet you've probably never heard of, because I am a hipster like that. I will get (am getting) around to throwing in the OCRemixes in there.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Krem Quay :siren:

Bonus: Lost World 1

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Fun fact: those rotatable barrels are hosed on zsnes (and probably other emulators, but I think they work on SNES9x) and they will continue to spin after you move them. The levels are still doable.....but difficult and very frustrating.

I think there might be one point where it becomes almost impossible though

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Barrel Bayou's DK Coin is what you get for getting Rambi to the "No Animal Buddy" sign. And Slime Climb's invincibility barrel is for getting a bonus barrel that's right below that spot underwater. Krem Quay is where Rare starts really ramping up how annoying they get when hiding DK coins and/or bonus barrels, and some of them involve looking around areas very carefully for a lone banana or some other hint.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Color Printer posted:

Fun fact: those rotatable barrels are hosed on zsnes (and probably other emulators, but I think they work on SNES9x) and they will continue to spin after you move them. The levels are still doable.....but difficult and very frustrating.

I think there might be one point where it becomes almost impossible though

Almost but not impossible. I had that bug the first time I played DKC2, five or so years ago.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I don't think enough people have heard both soundtracks to dkc3 for there to be debate. I mean do a lot of people even play that one when even no long after it came out it was known as the one that wasn't as good as dkc2?
When the LP gets there I'm sure both soundtracks will be posted.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Stickerbrush has this weird thing for me. It seems like the barrels move in time with the beat (or it just mellows me out) so the shots are easier.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Did someone say "Stupid Novel"?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Donkey's arm hair always looked more like a sleeve than actual arm hair in that picture. At least to me.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

I'm surprised you didn't realize the direction for the spikes from the pufferfish is dictated by their colour. The blue ones are the cardinal directions, and the green ones the diagonals.

About Squacks' hitbox and brambles, I think it's a weird hitbox thing, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was intentional. In later levels, you're more likely to become Squacks, as opposed to riding him. When that happens, I don't think you can safely bounce on the brambles.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

It's pronounced "key!" Krem Quay = Krem Key! kē! :argh:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Deep Keep reminded me of the sunken frigate in Metroid Prime. Luckily, Retro made turning the power on much easier for Donkey Kong than they did for Samus. And never call Enguarde "redundant."

Blind Sally posted:

It's pronounced "key!" Krem Quay = Krem Key! kē! :argh:
Don't get mad at him, get mad at the Welsh for making a word have such a horrible mismatch between spelling and pronunciation.

It's a good thing the bramble levels have the best music, because they have some really frustrating moments later on. It's the only thing that will keep you sane.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Y-Hat posted:

It's a good thing the bramble levels have the best music, because they have some really frustrating moments later on. It's the only thing that will keep you sane.
Personally, I'd say Bramble Blast is the worst of the bramble levels, with the barrel timing being the greatest headache. The second one coming up in Krazy Kremland is probably what I'd call the most decent of the bunch. Now, one bramble section in a level mentioned in the previous video....:shepicide:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's funny, Rambi has actually been in fewer games than Enguarde has.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Not anymore! Enguarde has one game on him in the classics, but Rambi is in both Retro games.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The invincible Lockjaw has its own name: Snapjaw.

Are you gonna get all the stuff you missed in a different video? You sure missed a lot. For example, that first Invincibility Barrel in Slime Climb is used to access a bonus barrel that you find by swimming through the water.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 14, 2016

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Y-Hat posted:

Are you gonna get all the stuff you missed in a different video? You sure missed a lot.

Again, off-camera. I actually have absolutely everything (at least in Kremkoins, I didn't really worry about DK Coins) up through World 4 atm.

Also with regards to Enguarde being redundant, I agree! I also think that you could have brought him back for like, one level and made it so that riding him gave you infinite oxygen and no one would have cared because gently caress yeah, Enguarde! :colbert:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
So between the main video and the lost world, we heard three of my favorite songs in the game. Stickerbush Symphony #1 fo' life y'all, Bayou Boogie's pretty fun, and the Lost World gave us an early listen to In A Snow-Bound Land, which won't show up normally for quite awhile. All great tracks in a collectively amazing soundtrack.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

The Brawl remix of Stickerbrush Symphony is really weird to me because while it's a good song, I don't think it's a very good Stickerbrush Symphony remix for some reason.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Color Printer posted:

The Brawl remix of Stickerbrush Symphony is really weird to me because while it's a good song, I don't think it's a very good Stickerbrush Symphony remix for some reason.

It has like a different tone from the original. I didn't even recognize it as Stickerbush Symphony when I first heard it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It's basically a different song, which is what happens when you take a slow, ambient and relaxing song and translate it into something more bombastic and suited for a fighting game. I like it, but it really kinda misses the mark on Stickerbrush Symphony's feel.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I like the original Stickerbrush Symphony better, but the Brawl remix is very good in its own way. Same goes for Smiles and Tears and its Smash 4 remix (I freaked out in a good way when I first heard that was in Smash 3DS).

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Donkey's arm hair always looked more like a sleeve than actual arm hair in that picture. At least to me.

Donkey's arms had always looked like that right up to Tropical Freeze. Or at least to me it did.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Color Printer posted:

It really rubs me the wrong way. It starts out great, starts hitting odd notes, then just implodes at the 1:30 mark.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Dr. Fetus posted:

It has like a different tone from the original. I didn't even recognize it as Stickerbush Symphony when I first heard it.

Speaking of Stickerbrush Symphony remixes that you probably won't recognize as Stickerbrush Symphony remixes when you first hear them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwQ5zM2KSG8

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I gotta say, it's weird that the Brawl remix of Stickerbrush Symphony leaves out about half the song. I still like it, but at least you can recognize what Smiles and Tears is throughout the entire thing, and the composer did a good job of bridging the gap between two different parts of the song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

mateo360 posted:

Did someone say "Stupid Novel"?

I assume the entire book consists of "Donkey Kong collected a whole lot of bananas and coins. Then he went inside a barrel and out came Diddy Kong, who collected a whole lot of bananas and coins. Tiny Kong, Lanky Kong, and Chunky Kong also collected a whole lot of bananas and coins," with some uncharacteristic swearing from DK as he tries to complete the original arcade game twice and get through Beaver Bother.

[e] Also, I believe Glimmer has been toned down for the Virtual Console release of DKC2 so you don't get the bright white flash when you turn around. The effect is still there, but far less obnoxious than it used to be. Nintendo has toned down that kind of stuff in a lot of VC games due to epilepsy concerns and such, another example that comes to mind is A Link to the Past and the flashing colors in the title screen.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 14, 2016

• Locked thread