Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm also glad for the part where giorno just steals a ton of cars, even if I don't think that actually helped much in the long run?? I can't remember, idk if that actually really slowed down la squadra at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
also wasnt much of a fan of how melone was killed like "welp he's dead now ok then"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He drove it into a river against a dude with ice powers. You can imagine how well that slowed him down.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Giorno has two dads.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
It's more like 3 dads and a mom.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

FirstAidKite posted:

I still love that giorno's big plan for escaping from the guy that can freeze everything is to drive into the ocean

I really want to see the new translation for that part. In the original he said it was because the water was already cold, and it would take longer to freeze... or something. I remember seeing a comparison that showed the dialogue for that section being nothing at all like the Japanese though, so I have to wonder if they didn't just make up that explaination.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It might have to do with the ocean being saltwater. It gets cold, but I don't think it freezes as easily.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Was it an ocean or a river, I honestly can't even remember but yeah that whole line of logic is wonderful

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Waffleman_ posted:

It might have to do with the ocean being saltwater. It gets cold, but I don't think it freezes as easily.

That's probably it, as one of the new translations says "being in the water will freeze us slower." Having it be "because it's saltwater" makes a bit more sense.

Giorno kicks himself for making that assumption, though so at least it acknowledges he made an assumption without knowing the full extent of White Album's powers.

FirstAidKite posted:

Was it an ocean or a river, I honestly can't even remember but yeah that whole line of logic is wonderful

It's outside of Venice so I'm gonna assume that it's the ocean, yeah.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!
e: ^^^ drat, beat me to it

Momomo posted:

I really want to see the new translation for that part. In the original he said it was because the water was already cold, and it would take longer to freeze... or something. I remember seeing a comparison that showed the dialogue for that section being nothing at all like the Japanese though, so I have to wonder if they didn't just make up that explaination.
Giorno tells Mista that the volume of water in the river (in the Tonkam edn it's a river?) will keep the ice from forming too quickly, allowing Mista to escape on his own. At this point, he's already frozen enough in the car to be stuck and easy pickings for Ghiaccio, himself, so it's supposed to be a touching moment of self-sacrifice in service of the greater victory that is getting that disc that the squad is after at this point. Things go awry not just because this is a dumb idea, but also because Mista (naturally) responds that he's not going to accept that kind of lovely half-victory and won't leave Giorno.

Amaryllis fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 14, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
White Album would be my favorite fight in Part 5 if we didn't already have the Grateful Dead.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The cool thing about White Album and the train fight is that it's basically a team fight. With Grateful Dead, Bruno is on offense for most of it with Mista's Sex Pistols working support and keeping Bruno young with ice. With White Album, it's more even but Mista is still doing most of the attacking and figuring out the weak points while Giorno is more just trying to keep them alive. Part 5 really shines what that kind of stuff I feel, and I really want to read it again whenever it gets fully retranslated.

e: An interesting thing to show how bad the current translation or is or maybe just my reading comprehension, I always got the feeling the Abbacchio was the second in command behind Bruno. He was older than everyone else and felt more mature and maybe even looked down on the younger members like Mista and Narancia. However, that's not really true at all. By looking at the French version, it's clear that Abbacchio is much more relaxed around Mista and Narancia specifically. They tease him a lot about being older than the rest of them and he makes immature jokes with them because they're dumb teenagers. With Bruno, he still respects him, but there's a more reserved tone of a boss speaking to a subordinate. Nuances like that what are make Part 5 seem really cool.

Also Fugo really hates Mista apparently and I have no idea why, but find that really funny.

e2: I don't even like Giorno and his plan to steal a hundred cars owns is the funniest thing to me.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 14, 2016

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Part 5 has so many good fights. Giorno is a jobber in so many of them and his plans are things like "But what if we stole ... one hundred cars? *smug look*" and "I guess I'll just die in a frozen river," but in the better translations everyone in Passione is always talking about how Giorno may be some newbie kid but he's charismatic and inspirational, and it kind of makes sense and also makes the whole part work as an ensemble story. I just wish we got more chapters before they started racing to find/protect Trish in which the gang just did mafia stuff--more stuff like the epilogue, but not crammed in right at the end. I wanted to see more of Giorno and the squad rising to the top.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Part 5 (and 6) suffers from a weak third act, IMO, while otherwise being pretty good, or at the very least consistently entertaining in a :munch: sorta way.

The death of Abbacchio was the death of Part 5.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Yeah 5 and 6 made me feel some battle fatigue, which I oddly didn't get from Part 3. I picked up all of VA on the strength of the first few volumes and when I saw that there would be nothing quite like GioGio's Conman Adventures or his bread loaf and banana gun shenanigans I realized, "Welp this isn't quite what I signed up for" but it was a pretty rad ride.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Moltrey posted:

The cool thing about White Album and the train fight is that it's basically a team fight. With Grateful Dead, Bruno is on offense for most of it with Mista's Sex Pistols working support and keeping Bruno young with ice. With White Album, it's more even but Mista is still doing most of the attacking and figuring out the weak points while Giorno is more just trying to keep them alive. Part 5 really shines what that kind of stuff I feel, and I really want to read it again whenever it gets fully retranslated.

e: An interesting thing to show how bad the current translation or is or maybe just my reading comprehension, I always got the feeling the Abbacchio was the second in command behind Bruno. He was older than everyone else and felt more mature and maybe even looked down on the younger members like Mista and Narancia. However, that's not really true at all. By looking at the French version, it's clear that Abbacchio is much more relaxed around Mista and Narancia specifically. They tease him a lot about being older than the rest of them and he makes immature jokes with them because they're dumb teenagers. With Bruno, he still respects him, but there's a more reserved tone of a boss speaking to a subordinate. Nuances like that what are make Part 5 seem really cool.

Also Fugo really hates Mista apparently and I have no idea why, but find that really funny.

e2: I don't even like Giorno and his plan to steal a hundred cars owns is the funniest thing to me.

Yeah when you learn stuff like that, it brings Abbaccio's backstory into perspective and why he's more comfortable just following orders blindly (which is why he isn't second in command, but Fugo seems to be). I liked looking at his profile too because it says that he dislikes arrogant people and I guess that explains why he hates Giorno right off the loving bat. That and Giorno is a middle schooler who seems to have his poo poo together while Abbaccio is a failure of a human being and might actually have depression. :v:

Part 5 is really growing on me.

EDIT: a failure of a human being in his mind, I mean. Obviously Abbaccio is too good for this world.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 14, 2016

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Alternate universe part 5 where la squadra and bruno's gang realize they're working towards the same goal and team up

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

BaDandy posted:

Yeah when you learn stuff like that, it brings Abbaccio's backstory into perspective and why he's more comfortable just following orders blindly (which is why he isn't second in command, but Fugo seems to be). I liked looking at his profile too because it says that he dislikes arrogant people and I guess that explains why he hates Giorno right off the loving bat. That and Giorno is a middle schooler who seems to have his poo poo together while Abbaccio is a failure of a human being and might actually have depression. :v:

Part 5 is really growing on me.
I remember a write up someone did of how Abbacchio is a somewhat realistic portrayal of someone with depression. He knows he's hosed up in the past, still feels guilt over it and knows that's what lead him to where he is now. He also recognizes that being in Passione will get him killed one day and he's pretty much fine with that.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Another thing I like: Mista asking Giorno if he has his license. "What? No, I'm only fifteen," Giorno replies, when he's always been the one driving in any scene when they're in a car, ever, from the very beginning. I honestly think he just volunteered to drive and everyone was like "okay cool" and didn't even question whether or not he should actually drive because he was so confident about it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I feel like Part 5 definitely has a weaker third act, but Secco and Cioccolatta were fun

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I don't like either of them but Secco's ability was pretty cool.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean their fights. Secco's keeps upping the ante to ridiculous and is like an endurance contest for Bruno and Ciccolatta being weird scientist with his body parts was loving crazy as hell

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Baal posted:

Ciccolatta being weird scientist

Now that you make the connection, was Mayuri from Bleach inspired by Ciccolatta? They look oddly similar.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kubo is a pretty big fan of JoJo and for the 25th anniversary his drawing in honor of JoJo was for Ghiaccio which makes a lot of sense, but I would not doubt that Cioccolatta was an inspiration for Mayuri.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Baal posted:

Kubo is a pretty big fan of JoJo and for the 25th anniversary his drawing in honor of JoJo was for Ghiaccio which makes a lot of sense, but I would not doubt that Cioccolatta was an inspiration for Mayuri.

Kubo made him look like Szayel instead of Mayuri, heh.

Edit: Oh, it's Ghiaccio, not Cioccolatta. Now I feel silly.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
Personally, I think Baby Face is a decent fight. It never stood out to me before, but when I re-read it for the retranslation, I found out that it has a lot of things I like, including:
-Giorno turning a brooch into an eyeball and then stuffing it into his face.
-A piranha eating its way up a guy's arm and out his back
-Poop on the face.
-Giorno fusing a guy with a motorcycle and then making him explode.

Speaking of which, chapters 1 and 2 of Baby Face have just gone online here and here. I hope you guys enjoy it.
Preview:

Momomo posted:

The idea was that plunging into the canal would stall Ghiaccio long enough to allow Mista to swim to shore and escape. Water has a high specific heat and heat of fusion, which makes it relatively hard to cool or freeze. Giorno's plan does not work.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Giorno is a living Ship of Theseus.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Daxing Dan posted:

The idea was that plunging into the canal would stall Ghiaccio long enough to allow Mista to swim to shore and escape. Water has a high specific heat and heat of fusion, which makes it relatively hard to cool or freeze. Giorno's plan does not work.

I'm...not really certain I understand. What are those things, and why would giorno think they would stop the guy who magically freezes stuff from magically freezing the water?

Bad Seafood posted:

Giorno is a living Ship of Theseus.

I wish there was a stand that took the idea behind the ship of theseus and used it to attack

I'm sure araki could think of a way

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm...not really certain I understand. What are those things, and why would giorno think they would stop the guy who magically freezes stuff from magically freezing the water?

Freezing takes time and energy/effort. In Jojo, even for people with magical Stand powers, they generally hold fast to physics. It takes more effort for Magician's Red to melt steel than to burn wood. Things that have more whatever takes more time and/or effort to freeze. Salt water, in particular, takes more work to freeze than fresh water. If you live anywhere above the Mason/Dixon Line then you may have seen snow plows sprinkling salt on roads to help melt snow.

It was a fairly clever idea by Giorno, he just underestimated how powerful the Stand was.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Ah ok. Yeah that makes a little more sense why he'd think to do that then.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Daxing Dan posted:

-Giorno fusing a guy with a motorcycle and then making him explode.

jojos_bizarre_adventure.png

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

FirstAidKite posted:

Specific heat is a measure of how much energy it takes to raise or lower the temperature of water, and heat of fusion is a measure of how much energy it takes to freeze or melt water. The fact that water takes so much energy to melt is the reason why you chill your drinks with ice cubes instead of keeping a handful of cold rocks in your freezer and reusing them between drinks. Giorno thinks this can at least keep Ghiaccio from freezing him and Mista instantly because people often accidentally assume stands have to work according to logic and the laws of physics (example: See the fight where Crusaders assumed Wheel of Fortune could not drive up cliffs and are surprised when it actually can).

Ed:

Brannock posted:

Freezing takes time and energy/effort. In Jojo, even for people with magical Stand powers, they generally hold fast to physics. It takes more effort for Magician's Red to melt steel than to burn wood. Things that have more whatever takes more time and/or effort to freeze. Salt water, in particular, takes more work to freeze than fresh water. If you live anywhere above the Mason/Dixon Line then you may have seen snow plows sprinkling salt on roads to help melt snow.

It was a fairly clever idea by Giorno, he just underestimated how powerful the Stand was.

I could check again but I don't think they mentioned saltwater at all in the original Japanese script. Was that some bullshit the Bad Translators pulled out of their asses again?

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 14, 2016

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Daxing Dan posted:

(example: See the fight where Crusaders assumed Wheel of Fortune could not drive up cliffs and are surprised when it actually can).

Or a more apt example, when kakyoin insists that there is no such thing as a world in the mirror, and luckily he was right that the hanged man was just a bit of light bouncing around reflective surfaces as opposed to illuso's man in the mirror creating a world in the reflection

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Kakyoin insists there's no world inside the mirror, but there definitely is a world inside dreams, and it just so happens that everyone's dreams share the same world.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Kakyoin lied, Illuso died.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
When Kakyoin said that, it was possible that Illuso didn't have his Stand yet so Kakyoin was correct at the time :colbert:

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Moltrey posted:

When Kakyoin said that, it was possible that Illuso didn't have his Stand yet so Kakyoin was correct at the time :colbert:

As soon as Kakyoin said it, the stand arrow knew what it had to do

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kakyoin being a lying poo poo shouldn't surprise anyone at this point.
Thank you DIO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Gonna slap Josuke the next time he talks smack about my boy Kakyoin.

EDIT: I hope the long pause between posts here is him furiously typing up a prolonged beatdown.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 14, 2016