Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

I also love the War of 1812 one:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I had the skills, I'd photoshop those characters into the "no longer best friends" pic.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

davidspackage posted:

Heh! Oh my god!

CONTINUITY ERROR, Roast Beef would not be amused by stepping in dog poo poo

Also this is one of my fav. moments from Achewood

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
I like the ones where the dude is stoned. Captures the banal, discursive pseudo-clarity of weed perfectly:

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Excellent. I can now pronounce a bunch of Russian words that I still don't understand the meaning of!

Wait.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Are you a commie, son?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Half of it plain wrong, too. Элвыс? Мыки? It's Ukrainian transliterated into Russian at best, not Russian 'phoenetics' (sic!). Туй is how you pronounce twee? Is English your native language?

The pronunciation tips are just bogus. Russian vowels are pronounced differently based not only on stress, but also on what letters go before them. E.g., е in жесть is pronounced as э [æ] and it doesn't affect softness of ж because it's always hard outside of certain dialects where it's soft in a bunch of words. Е in есть or поесть (to eat), on the other hand, is йэ [jæ]. Е in мести (to swipe) is и [i], because it's not stressed and и itself is longer [i:] because it's stressed. Also, because c goes before soft т it also becomes soft. And finally, е in ещё is йи [je]. I'm not even going to comment on consonants, because lol if you can't roll your rs.

It's like those endless quick japanese guides created by idiots who've managed to learn how to read hiragana and know 20 anime words.

E: And Russian formal goodbye is до свидания, not пока (which he incorrectly spells with two а's). Jesus Christ, I'm so angry at this stupid comic!

Paladinus has a new favorite as of 01:10 on Jan 14, 2016

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Well to be fair it just said "learn to read Russian" not "learn to read Russian properly."

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Paladinus posted:

Half of it plain wrong, too. Элвыс? Мыки? It's Ukrainian transliterated into Russian at best, not Russian 'phoenetics' (sic!). Туй is how you pronounce twee? Is English your native language?

The pronunciation tips are just bogus. Russian vowels are pronounced differently based not only on stress, but also on what letters go before them. E.g., е in жесть is pronounced as э [æ] and it doesn't affect softness of ж because it's always hard outside of certain dialects where it's soft in a bunch of words. Е in есть or поесть (to eat), on the other hand, is йэ [jæ]. Е in мести (to swipe) is и [i], because it's not stressed and и itself is longer [i:] because it's stressed. Also, because c goes before soft т it also becomes soft. And finally, е in ещё is йи [je]. I'm not even going to comment on consonants, because lol if you can't roll your rs.

It's like those endless quick japanese guides created by idiots who've managed to learn how to read hiragana and know 20 anime words.

E: And Russian formal goodbye is до свидания, not пока (which he incorrectly spells with two а's). Jesus Christ, I'm so angry at this stupid comic!

Don't be so tsundre, Baka!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I like the Great Outdoor Fight and that's it. That's my Achewood story.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't much care for Achewood. Am I bad? :ohdear:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

it's cool bro. some of us are achewood people, and some of us are more at marmaduke's speed.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

So, is this kind of like those cartoons where the anthropomorphic animals own other animals as pets or go to zoos?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Actually kinda the opposite--they're housecats and teddy bears and otters and poo poo, and once in a blue moon you'll get a strip where they're talking to or around regular human-size stuff which is gigantic to them

the world seems to operate on kind of a Calvin/Hobbes-ish principle though, in that nobody ever points it out and it's never explained, it just kinda is

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Actually kinda the opposite--they're housecats and teddy bears and otters and poo poo, and once in a blue moon you'll get a strip where they're talking to or around regular human-size stuff which is gigantic to them

the world seems to operate on kind of a Calvin/Hobbes-ish principle though, in that nobody ever points it out and it's never explained, it just kinda is

Ah, so the dog in the comic stepped in another dog's poo poo. Gotcha.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

would be funnier without text in last panel

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Onstad tried to frame Achewood within the real world, but never very thoroughly. He sort of dropped it, after awhile.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Clitch posted:

Onstad tried to frame Achewood within the real world, but never very thoroughly. He sort of dropped it, after awhile.

The worst comic was when he just said "oh I never really mentioned it but everything exists under ground through sewer access and that's why you'll never see people who aren't me, also never me again either" just a whole bunch of words re-establishing things that were never talked about before or since. I never felt it was needed and it always stuck out to me as a weird thing to do.

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

foobardog posted:

The joke of the vet comics is "what if vets were as serious about their patients as tv drama doctors" and "I'm a big baby who constantly thinks my snake is dying and I annoy my vet."

The joke is also that exotic pet owners are loving nuts and exotic animals are incredibly fragile and dumb.

These are both true. :v:

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dr_Amazing posted:

It's been said before but I;m still 50% sure Achewood fans were trolls that were ironically posting a terrible comic as a joke. "No it's actually really good, you just have to read a whole lot of it!" they say, trying not to giggle, as I squint at the tiny words crowding each speech bubble. "Ignore the bad jokes and try to hear each character's individual voice."

I like Achewood because I like the characters' speech and behavior patterns. The whole premise is setting up characters that have a consistent way of talking and reacting to things, then putting them in weird or everyday situations and having them work it out. There are very few jokes and the jokes that are there are pretty bad. It's like an abstract Seinfeld. Most people won't like it. It's like the mustard sardines of comics.

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat
Achewood has some arcs that are funny as heck, such as the road trip one http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11252002

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
HEY GUYS I FOUND THE SON OF A BITCH THAT INVENTED COMIC SANS!

WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE RUNNING FROM?! THE DISEASE IS INSIDE OF YOU!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Bad Titty Puker posted:

Achewood has some arcs that are funny as heck, such as the road trip one http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11252002

hell yes

Also the Jared references are are even funnier now

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Achewood is a world treasure,

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I prefer Mac Hall.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Buttersafe

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I am going to get some mileage out of this comic.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

paradoxGentleman posted:

I am going to get some mileage out of this comic.

I disagree with this comic.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

kelvron posted:

I prefer Mac Hall.

This comic was decent, but the newer Three Panel Soul is pretty good too.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

This is way better than it has any right to be.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:smith:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I don't understand those comics so i must assume they are bad

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

oldpainless posted:

PC doesn't have a dick.

Push El Burrito has a new favorite as of 22:04 on Jan 14, 2016

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

oldpainless posted:

The joke: video games

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I like how they paint PC as this ripped super model. I am sure it is based entirely on what they actually look like.

• Locked thread