Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

NeurosisHead posted:

Do blue quality crafted adaptive armors also have their stats adapt as you level, or just the armor rating?

Adaptive armors don't change their ratings as you level. They just treat themselves as light/medium/heavy based on your highest proficiency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

What I don't get is why there are no stats on any adaptive armour I've seen so far.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
It's because the stats on adaptive armor are based entirely on the mods that you apply to them. "New" pieces of adaptive armor have no mods, and therefore no stats.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dalris Othaine posted:

It's because the stats on adaptive armor are based entirely on the mods that you apply to them. "New" pieces of adaptive armor have no mods, and therefore no stats.
I see. Got my first modded adaptive armour drop in Directive 7 an hour or two ago, then it clicked with me that they have mod slots which just are not show in the tooltip if they are empty.

I've got another question, about Sith Warrior story. Just finished Chapter 3 and landed on Ilum. If I want to see story of all characters, should I work through Ilum or until some other point, or is post-/Ilum content is more or less then same for all classes and I can go ahead with new character?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

kalstrams posted:

I see. Got my first modded adaptive armour drop in Directive 7 an hour or two ago, then it clicked with me that they have mod slots which just are not show in the tooltip if they are empty.

I've got another question, about Sith Warrior story. Just finished Chapter 3 and landed on Ilum. If I want to see story of all characters, should I work through Ilum or until some other point, or is post-/Ilum content is more or less then same for all classes and I can go ahead with new character?

Ilum is the same story on that faction. Slightly different on the other faction. I believe I talk about this in one of the first couple posts.

For adaptive orange armor there's an option somewhere to show not only the overall stats of the armor but the mods installed as well. I don't think that's in by default.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Medullah posted:

Ilum is the same story on that faction. Slightly different on the other faction. I believe I talk about this in one of the first couple posts.

For adaptive orange armor there's an option somewhere to show not only the overall stats of the armor but the mods installed as well. I don't think that's in by default.
Alright, I'll roll bounty hunter tonight or tomorrow then, I think. It shows the installed mods if they are installed, by default - what I meant is that it does not shows which empty mod slots there are, unless you open modification panel of the item. In a hindsight though, that's not really a necessary feature.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 14, 2016

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
What are these "chapters" ?

Is that just a KOFTE thing or is "chapter 1" the vanilla game, chapter 2 the first expansion, etc?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ineptitude posted:

Is that just a KOFTE thing or is "chapter 1" the vanilla game, chapter 2 the first expansion, etc?

For the main-game class storylines, each class has a "Prelude" and three "chapters" -- they mostly just show up as part of the text in loading/logon screens.

The prelude is your first two planets -- you switch to chapter 1 when you get your ship. I want to say the switch from chapter 2 to chapter 3 is usually around Quesh.

prefect fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 14, 2016

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Ineptitude posted:

The base vanilla game has 3 chapters for each class which is just how they group the missions as for story purposes but has no impact on gameplay. KotFE has a bunch of chapters that are individual, episodic story missions you play through and can access through a 'launch chapter' button if you bugger off and go do something else then forget where you were up to.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

KOTFE resets the count too, it has its own numbering.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

kalstrams posted:

Alright, I'll roll bounty hunter tonight or tomorrow then, I think. It shows the installed mods if they are installed, by default - what I meant is that it does not shows which empty mod slots there are, unless you open modification panel of the item. In a hindsight though, that's not really a necessary feature.

Right, that's what I mean. You can change it so when you mouse over the item it shows the mods in it. This becomes important at endgame when you want best in slot mods

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Medullah posted:

Right, that's what I mean. You can change it so when you mouse over the item it shows the mods in it. This becomes important at endgame when you want best in slot mods
I still think that I mean something different, unless you do indeed say that there is an option in game which will on mouse over tell me that there are modification slots A, B, C, D in this item, all (or some) of whom are empty.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

kalstrams posted:

I still think that I mean something different, unless you do indeed say that there is an option in game which will on mouse over tell me that there are modification slots A, B, C, D in this item, all (or some) of whom are empty.

That's exactly what I mean.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

kalstrams posted:

(Harder to find a good picture of this than I had expected.) This is what I see when I mouse over a piece of moddable armor:

If the Armoring/Mod/Enhancement slots are filled, there will be a colored number in parentheses corresponding to the level and rarity of the mod/armoring/enhancement.

edit: found another one:

Unrelated: I pooled up all my characters' money and was able to buy all the Covert Energy gear last night. :woop:

I'm never going to get the achievement for having ten million credits. :saddowns:

prefect fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 14, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Medullah posted:

That's exactly what I mean.
Then I don't quite get what you mean by best in slot mods, given the context, unless the slots themselves vary on case per case basis.

prefect posted:

(Harder to find a good picture of this than I had expected.) This is what I see when I mouse over a piece of moddable armor:

If the Armoring/Mod/Enhancement slots are filled, there will be a colored number in parentheses corresponding to the level and rarity of the mod/armoring/enhancement.
I'll need to enable this next time I launch the game.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Anyone playing on EU-Red Eclipse Republic in need of a tank for random HM Flashpoints or SM ops? I still don't like this game very much and I hate how it runs like garbage whenever combat starts but I am currently in a mood for Star Wars and WoWlike MMOs and this is the only one that fits :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

kalstrams posted:

Then I don't quite get what you mean by best in slot mods, given the context, unless the slots themselves vary on case per case basis.

They do but it doesn't really matter until endgame. For example -

Lethal Mod 43 is the mod you want if you are DPS or heals in endgame. But there are 3 different variations - 43, 43A, and 43B. Lethal Mod 43B is the version found in Radiant Crystal gear, and has 151 endurance, 99 power and 121 mastery. 43 unlettered is found in raid token gear, and has 110 endurance, 121 power, and 141 mastery. Though the "stat pool" (total stats) are identical amongst the different mods, the unlettered version is more desirable as it has higher applicable stats for a DPS or Healer (they don't need high endurance). Thus, your goal is to get raid drops to get the best gear possible at endgame.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Medullah posted:

They do but it doesn't really matter until endgame. For example -

Lethal Mod 43 is the mod you want if you are DPS or heals in endgame. But there are 3 different variations - 43, 43A, and 43B. Lethal Mod 43B is the version found in Radiant Crystal gear, and has 151 endurance, 99 power and 121 mastery. 43 unlettered is found in raid token gear, and has 110 endurance, 121 power, and 141 mastery. Though the "stat pool" (total stats) are identical amongst the different mods, the unlettered version is more desirable as it has higher applicable stats for a DPS or Healer (they don't need high endurance). Thus, your goal is to get raid drops to get the best gear possible at endgame.
Oh, makes sense if I consider this from the angle that adaptive armour as such will provide the best possible armour value in itself, and hence doesn't matter all that much unless we talk about top tier turbosperging.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

kalstrams posted:

Oh, makes sense if I consider this from the angle that adaptive armour as such will provide the best possible armour value in itself, and hence doesn't matter all that much unless we talk about top tier turbosperging.

Right, gear doesn't matter much while leveling. Honestly, by far the easiest way to stay geared while leveling is to run Heroics here and there. Each one up until level 61 will reward you with two pieces of blue non-moddable gear that is good for your level and you don't need to worry about changing out for 10-15 levels.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Mr. Neutron posted:

Anyone playing on EU-Red Eclipse Republic in need of a tank for random HM Flashpoints or SM ops? I still don't like this game very much and I hate how it runs like garbage whenever combat starts but I am currently in a mood for Star Wars and WoWlike MMOs and this is the only one that fits :(

Sure, I'll play with you. Add me on Steam and tell me to log on, much easier then having me list all my characters.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/dunno1987/

That goes for anyone on Red Eclipse really...

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Medullah posted:

Right, gear doesn't matter much while leveling. Honestly, by far the easiest way to stay geared while leveling is to run Heroics here and there. Each one up until level 61 will reward you with two pieces of blue non-moddable gear that is good for your level and you don't need to worry about changing out for 10-15 levels.
Frankly speaking, I don't event do heroics and the gear is perfectly fine for solo flashpoints (HK-47 asides) and anything story throws my wya.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Low level heroics are ridiculously easy, provide really fast leveling, and also provide lots of money and crystals. I had 1000 green crystals when I hit 65 and got a full suit of the green crystal gear for all my visible slots as soon as I capped. Do ittttttt

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

signalnoise posted:

Low level heroics are ridiculously easy, provide really fast leveling, and also provide lots of money and crystals. I had 1000 green crystals when I hit 65 and got a full suit of the green crystal gear for all my visible slots as soon as I capped. Do ittttttt

Don't waste common data crystals on gear. 208 gear is literally the worst. It's not good enough for Hard Mode content, but it's just good enough that it doesn't bolster in Story Mode raiding or PvP.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Medullah posted:

Don't waste common data crystals on gear. 208 gear is literally the worst. It's not good enough for Hard Mode content, but it's just good enough that it doesn't bolster in Story Mode raiding or PvP.

I dunno I was in absolute poo poo gear when I hit 65

What use are green crystals then, do you just feed them to your pets

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Thanks re: chapter info
Guess i am in chapter 1 then!.
I haven't seen the word "chapter" anywhere so as you say it looks fairly inconsequential for gameplay.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

signalnoise posted:

I dunno I was in absolute poo poo gear when I hit 65

What use are green crystals then, do you just feed them to your pets

Companion gifts to use or sell, decorations to use or sell, etc.

As far as gear goes, you're in better shape spending 50 common crystals to gear yourself in full 190 gear than buying the 208 gear. That will bolster extremely well in both PvP and Story Mode raiding.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Medullah posted:

As far as gear goes, you're in better shape spending 50 common crystals to gear yourself in full 190 gear than buying the 208 gear. That will bolster extremely well in both PvP and Story Mode raiding.

I've heard that the 204 PVP gear is better than the 208 PVE gear for PVE, especially given the set bonuses - is this true?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I've heard that the 204 PVP gear is better than the 208 PVE gear for PVE, especially given the set bonuses - is this true?

Absolutely.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ineptitude posted:

Thanks re: chapter info
Guess i am in chapter 1 then!.
I haven't seen the word "chapter" anywhere so as you say it looks fairly inconsequential for gameplay.

The easiest way to tell when you've switched is that you're sent to the fleet with a weird nonsense quest to talk to the former advanced class trainer. You get a fleet pass to teleport there. There's one of those after each chapter.

Planet wise, Chapter 1 is up to Alderaan, Chapter 2 is up to Hoth, and 3 is through Corellia.

However you usually (maybe always? I haven't done every class) have additional class specific missions after the planets before the chapter actually ends. Some take place on planets, some on class-specific locations like space stations.

It only matters for gameplay in that it affects your companion conversation progression, and some of the legacy class unlocks.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 14, 2016

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Medullah posted:

To someone coming back from a very long hiatus this makes no sense. Can this be elaborated on? Why would 208 gear be worse than 190 gear for story mode and what do you mean by "bolster"?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ice Fist posted:

To someone coming back from a very long hiatus this makes no sense. Can this be elaborated on? Why would 208 gear be worse than 190 gear for story mode and what do you mean by "bolster"?

The game has a catch-up mechanic called Bolster that boosts your stats when you're below a certain threshold in some group content and PvP. 190 gear is below that threshold, and better itemized than 208 gear. So getting 190 boosted up gives you more useful stats than 208 does.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Aphrodite posted:

The game has a catch-up mechanic called Bolster that boosts your stats when you're below a certain threshold in some group content and PvP. 190 gear is below that threshold, and better itemized than 208 gear. So getting 190 boosted up gives you more useful stats than 208 does.

So then the recommended progression would be 190 to <whatever level story mode raid drops> to <whatever hard mode raid drops>?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ice Fist posted:

So then the recommended progression would be 190 to <whatever level story mode raid drops> to <whatever hard mode raid drops>?

Pretty much. Story Mode raiding is all bolstered so your gear doesn't matter. If you want to do Hard Mode raiding your goal is to get full 216 from raiding (with a mix of 216/220 glowing/radiant crystal gear being okay too, though it's not optimized and has no armor set bonus).

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

This chart I picked up last month somewhere in this thread is kind of neat for the content leading up to the newest expansion.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Aphrodite posted:

While it's depressing to hear that all the 208 gear I bought with crystals is less than ideal, oh well. I can put together a set of 190s for when I do story modes. My question though is: where can I spend crystals for level 65 mods? Is it on O-planet at the end of KotFE?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mind over Matter posted:

While it's depressing to hear that all the 208 gear I bought with crystals is less than ideal, oh well. I can put together a set of 190s for when I do story modes. My question though is: where can I spend crystals for level 65 mods? Is it on O-planet at the end of KotFE?

It kind of seems like the purpose of adaptive gear has gone from "wear it and upgrade it as you go" to "use it for cosmetic purposes in outfit designer and wear non-moddable gear".

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Does this "use 190 gear" business have any impact on tactical flashpoints?

Also can someone link a guide or something for gearing? I want to be sure my gems and stuff go towards stats that matter from here on out

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 14, 2016

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Mind over Matter posted:

You can't buy mods and armorings separate for level 65 gear. Common data crystals buy you 208 gear, which as I said before is pretty pointless and the crystals are better spent on gifts to boost companion influence or make money with. Glowing crystals buy you 216 gear pieces that are unoptimized, but are good for entry level HM raiding (fine for the easy raids like EV and KP, but you'll need some augments and a high skill level for the other ones).

I've said it before though - the only reason to worry about gear at level 65 is if you intend on doing Hard Mode raiding - literally everything else your gear doesn't matter and having high level gear will actually reduce the bolster so you'll be less effective. The exception is set bonus - that will help no matter what gear level.

signalnoise posted:

Does this "use 190 gear" business have any impact on tactical flashpoints?

Also can someone link a guide or something for gearing? I want to be sure my gems and stuff go towards stats that matter from here on out

It matters the same way it does with SM Raids - your gear doesn't matter in them, so 190 gear will bolster to similar or better stats than 208.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Another thing that's confusing me: Flashpoints. Some friends and I grouped up and I filtered to just hammer station in the group finder mainly because I didn't want to end up with one of the later on flashpoints. Should we be doing all tactical flashpoints? Is that better than just grouping for the regular flashpoint (which I assume is still not bolstered)? The whole thing has me sort of confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ice Fist posted:

Another thing that's confusing me: Flashpoints. Some friends and I grouped up and I filtered to just hammer station in the group finder mainly because I didn't want to end up with one of the later on flashpoints. Should we be doing all tactical flashpoints? Is that better than just grouping for the regular flashpoint (which I assume is still not bolstered)? The whole thing has me sort of confused.

Choosing all flashpoints in group finder will reward you with a daily reward (12 glowing crystals at 65). If you only choose one in group finder you won't get that reward (but you'll still get the reward for finishing the flashpoint).

Walking into the Flashpoint will still bolster you as long as you choose the "Tactical" version. Some Flashpoints also have "Solo modes" which are bolstered and you get a badass droid - the rewards are almost null for these, they are intended to see the story of the flashpoint.

• Locked thread