Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6180774-former-blackberry-buildings-filling-up/

quote:

The story of BlackBerry's buildings

•January 2014 — BlackBerry puts 21 buildings containing 2,815,320 square feet of space up for sale

•February 2014 — The University of Waterloo buys five buildings at Columbia and Phillip streets containing 306,000 square feet.

•February 2014 — The Waterloo Innovation Network buys 156 Columbia St. W. containing 44,707 square feet.

•May 2014 — San Francisco-based Spear Street Capital buys 15 buildings in Waterloo, Cambridge, Mississauga and Ottawa containing 2,374,183 square feet for $305 million.

•July 2014 — Spear Street sells 560 Westmount Rd. N. containing 90,430 square feet to Quantum Valley Investments.

•November and December 2014 — Spear Street sells 70 Columbia St., W., 176 Columbia St. W., 180 Columbia St. W., 450 Phillip St. and 460 Phillip St (containing a total of 300,279 square feet) to the Waterloo Innovation Network.

•March 2015 — Spear Street sells an industrial building at 25 Cherry Blossom Rd. in Cambridge containing 500,814 square feet to Kitchener-based cookie and cracker manufacturer Dare Foods.

•July 2015 — Spear Street sells 25 Reuter Rd. in Cambridge containing 248,820 square feet to Toronto-based CanFirst Capital; the space is leased back to BlackBerry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
government officials have pleaded to the technology industry for help yet have been met with disdain. In fact, one of the world’s most powerful tech companies recently refused a lawful access request in an investigation of a known drug dealer because doing so would “substantially tarnish the brand” of the company. We are indeed in a dark place when companies put their reputations above the greater good. At BlackBerry, we understand, arguably more than any other large tech company, the importance of our privacy commitment to product success and brand value: privacy and security form the crux of everything we do. However, our privacy commitment does not extend to criminals.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lol. it's good to see blackberry very publicly killing the last thing they had going for them.

security, but not for criminals.

who the gently caress do they think uses blackberrys anymore?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
that blog post should trigger the death pool imo

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

infernal machines posted:

lol. it's good to see blackberry very publicly killing the last thing they had going for them.

security, but not for criminals.

who the gently caress do they think uses blackberrys anymore?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I'm glad its up to a corporation to figure out who is a criminal now

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

its u

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
:toot:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
:woop:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

loving finally, they got my letters

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

LOOK AT MY TEXTS, I AM A BAD MAN

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

anyone who sends goatse to their friends as much as I do should be in prison

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

I'm glad its up to a Canadian corporation to figure out who is a criminal now

the sorriest dystopia

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

HockeyTech sounds like something I'd come up with on the spot if asked to make up a name for a canadian tech company.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

New meaning of blackberry deathwatch: watching for people who die in blackberry cars

quote:

BlackBerry Ltd. has laid out its plans for building autonomous car software, jumping into a race with the likes of Apple Inc., Google Inc. and Tesla Motors Inc. to capture a piece of the ballooning industry.

The company’s QNX software division showed off demo cars that can scan for obstacles, keep from straying from a highway lane and communicate wirelessly with nearby vehicles to avoid accidents, using tools developed by other software and hardware companies on the QNX operating system.

QNX already is used by such auto makers as Ford Motor Co. to build in-car entertainment systems. BlackBerry, based in Waterloo, Ont., wants to extend that model to self-driving car technology by providing a central platform that other companies can use to build their own features.

The technology may offer an alternative for car makers that are considering building their own self-driving software or partnering with Apple and Google. Still, those companies have been pouring resources into autonomous cars. Google’s vehicles have driven more than three million kilometres on their own and Tesla sells some cars preloaded with the ability to stay in a certain lane on their own.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
autonomous car battery pulls

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Pinterest Mom posted:

New meaning of blackberry deathwatch: watching for people who die in blackberry cars

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

every time this thread resurfaces my heart skips a beat

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

mishaq posted:

every time this thread resurfaces my heart skips a beat

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

mishaq posted:

every time this thread resurfaces my heart skips a beat grows three sizes

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
you know how the blackberry brand is synonymous with security, privacy, and totally not stopping anyone who wants to penetrate the first two things? well,

Aunty posted:

A Dutch police unit has confirmed to the BBC that it can decrypt messages on Blackberry's most secure smartphones.

It did not go into details about how it does this but said that its methods allow police to read messages.

Troubled phonemaker Blackberry has prided itself on providing customers with one of the safest methods of communication.

In response to the news, it said it could not comment without more information about the crack.

"We are confident that Blackberry provides the world's most secure communications platform to government, military and enterprise customers.

"However, we can't comment on this claim as we don't have any details on the specific device or the way that it was configured, managed or otherwise protected, nor do we have details on the nature of the communications that are claimed to have been decrypted," a spokeswoman told the BBC.

Criminal link

It is believed that the tests were conducted on PGP Blackberrys, handsets with an extra layer of encryption provided by online vendors, such as GhostPGP and TopPGP.

The Netherlands Forensic Institute (NFI), a body that provides forensic evidence to Dutch police, was unwilling to provide details on how it decrypted messages from the devices, although it seems that it does need physical access to handsets.

Technology website Motherboard reported that it uses a piece of forensic software made by Cellebrite. Others speculated that the NFI may have removed a memory chip and dumped the data from it.

The NFI could not decrypt all messages. According to Dutch blog Crime News, which first reported the news, 275 out of 325 encrypted emails were cracked.
So-called PGP Blackberrys are advertised as being particularly suited to people wanting to keep data secure and have been linked to criminals in the past.

GhostPGP said that its services had not been compromised.

In 2014, it was reported that such phones were used by those involved in a series of killings in Australia. The Sydney Morning Herald claimed that police officers had travelled to Blackberry headquarters looking for advice on how to access encrypted data on the phones.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

the ballooning [vapourware] industry

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

dude using the front-facing camera of the blackberry playbook to film bernie sanders

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
blackberry: toys for tools

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

PleasureKevin posted:

dude using the front-facing camera of the blackberry playbook to film bernie sanders

bernie represents the oppressed masses

DOG AT THE DOOR
Aug 29, 2007

bwha
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/blackberry-cuts-waterloo-florida-1.3435974

125 laid off in Waterloo, Trudeau stares disapprovingly at the latest and the creator of BBM departs

https://twitter.com/BlackBerry/status/687717797074472961

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
call in the government rescue

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

blackberry still has manufacturing facilities?

in the us?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

The only ones in Waterloo that are still working there are the types that wouldn't get hired anywhere else or they are an L3 and make over 100,000k a year and would take a pay cut if they quit.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

strong marketing targeting there

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol

probably the only advertising they can afford at this point, an overlay over the internet stream of a saturday tv event

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they had a lot of advertising at raptors games in TO recently

it was sad as hell

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

http://press.blackberry.com/press/2016/blackberry-launches-new-professional-cybersecurity-services-practice-to-expand-portfolio.html

quote:

BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ: BBRY; TSX: BB), a global leader in secure mobile communications, today announced the launch of its new Professional Cybersecurity Services practice that will further expand BlackBerry’s security portfolio by offering organizations new consulting services, tools and best practices to assess and thwart ever-changing cybersecurity risks.

quote:

As part of the new Professional Cybersecurity Services practice – and aligned with BlackBerry’s core emphasis on securing mobile communications across all platforms – BlackBerry acquired UK-based Encription Limited, which brings years of cybersecurity consulting experience to the organization. The acquisition of Encription was completed on February 19, 2016. Specific terms of the deal are not being disclosed.

Image what it feels like to work at a company and you find out that BB now owns you.

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

they had a lot of advertising at raptors games in TO recently

it was sad as hell
I'm visiting Toronto right now and I've never seen so many blackberries in real life before. I even saw someone with a passport!!!

of course I also passed the blackberry shop in Dubai mall where they were really pushing the priv phone. wasn't it somewhere in that region they just gave up all their users info to the government?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i don't know about "just" but they've admitted to handing over their keys to multiple governments in exchange for not being banned from operating in the country

blackberry is "secure" only from non-state actors with no government connections

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

eh, I've updated my resume a few times before

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

blckberry is rearranging deck chairs on the titanic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

this doesn't even look like a photo op but they tried to make it one.

• Locked thread