Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

Powerthirst posted:

I'm going to London over Christmas (22-30) and was wondering what I should expect as far as people and weather that week. This is my first trip outside of the US and have no clue what I'm doing but will be fun anyway.

I have four nights around Hyde park because I have free nights with Hyatt and Hilton (Weekend Nights) I have to use by the end of the month. The rest of the time I have no problem getting away from the center of town and enjoying what the city has to offer.

I plan to do the usual spots but wanted some advice on non-touristy places to visit to experience the real London.

I guess you're already here now but London over Christmas is interesting. It's such an international city and many people will leave it over Christmas. Just to make sure you're aware - the city shuts down completely on Christmas day. Pretty much every shop and all forms of public transport are closed. Your only options are some of the smaller ethnic shops, and taxis/Ubers to get around. Or cycle hire.

Cycling around London on Christmas day is actually one of my favourite things. Also if you care at all, a Boxing Day football match is a great British tradition. Or going for a long walk around somewhere like Hampstead Heath and then to a nice pub afterwards.

Shops will be busy around the Christmas period, obviously. Museums should be open again on the 27th. Try and visit some of the markets. There's a lot of excellent food around.
Non-touristy... what are you into? I'd still recommend some of the East London areas like Dalston and Homerton, although they definitely are becoming more popular with tourists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idempodunk
May 12, 2001
Toilet Rascal
Has anyone been to Art Basel? I'm having an incredibly tough time finding basic information like... how much is a pass to enter? I do know that hotels are hideously expensive in Basel though :(

gipskrampf
Oct 31, 2010
Nap Ghost

FLOOR_MASTER posted:

Has anyone been to Art Basel? I'm having an incredibly tough time finding basic information like... how much is a pass to enter? I do know that hotels are hideously expensive in Basel though :(

Never been to the Art Basel, though I live in Basel, so if you have any practical questions about the city, feel free to ask.

I didn't find any practical informations on the official website, however this site has some more information (in German): http://www.messen.de/de/4697/basel/art-basel/info

Prices are 48 Swiss francs for a day pass (35 if you are a student), 80 francs for a two-day pass and 100 francs for a unlimited pass. No idea if this is valid, though the prices seem realistic for Switzerland. If your searching for cheap(er) accommodation you could always look in the German or French suburbs of Basel (Saint-Louis, Huningue, Weil am Rhein or Lörrach). All these places have bus, tram or suburban train connections directly in the Basel city centre. I would recommend booking early during Art Basel.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

PT6A posted:

That's too bad. Usually there's tons of cheap places to stay, since it's a stop on the Camino de Santiago.

Re staying anywhere in Spain: what you're looking for is known as a "pensión." If hotels seem out of your price range, find a pensión.

In Logroño I can vouch for Pensión Pastor Rey. Quiet, affordable, and everything a humble traveler needs.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Hey eurogoons! I've been in Amsterdam for the past three days and I'm kinda running out of things to do that interest me - the only two glaring touristy things left to do is the rijksmuseum and van Gogh, but I'm still a little burned out from museums after doing a bunch of them in Berlin and London last year, so they'd be somewhat last resorts.

Given that i have two full days left, what are some day trips I can take by train that are less than an hour or two away? Utrecht and Rotterdam comes to mind (I did Brussels and Ghent prior to Amsterdam), but I'm a huge fan of cities with a lot of history like Nuremberg and Ghent, and I'm also pretty into design (especially industrial design) or specialty museums if there are any close by. I try to avoid crowds or overtly touristy sights without spectacle or meaning.

Thanks!

rawrr fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 7, 2016

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Leiden is nearby, has a lot of history (old university, lots of trade and early international connections, Flemish influence). Delft also has a lot of history (art, being a major city until the 17th century) and that's where the best university for industrial design is, but I don't know if they have any sort of exhibits. Both of those places look quite nice, though they are not as big as Utrecht or Rotterdam.

Utrecht is nice as a bigger city that looks old but isn't as crowded as Amsterdam, and Rotterdam is nice for modern architecture.

There is a design speciality museum in Kerkrade but you do not want to go all the way over there. Otherwise the Stedelijk in Amsterdam usually has some exhibitions but you probably went there already.

Many museums exist on specific topics, all over the country (also in small places / the middle of nowhere) but I guess you can just google for them. I can't think of any particular recommendations.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Thanks for the thorough response on such short notice! I'll have a look into them as Delft and Leiden sound right up my alley, and they look to be pretty close to each other and Rotterdam so I don't have to commit the entire day to each one. Appreciate you taking the time to help!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

rawrr posted:

Hey eurogoons! I've been in Amsterdam for the past three days and I'm kinda running out of things to do that interest me - the only two glaring touristy things left to do is the rijksmuseum and van Gogh, but I'm still a little burned out from museums after doing a bunch of them in Berlin and London last year, so they'd be somewhat last resorts.

Given that i have two full days left, what are some day trips I can take by train that are less than an hour or two away? Utrecht and Rotterdam comes to mind (I did Brussels and Ghent prior to Amsterdam), but I'm a huge fan of cities with a lot of history like Nuremberg and Ghent, and I'm also pretty into design (especially industrial design) or specialty museums if there are any close by. I try to avoid crowds or overtly touristy sights without spectacle or meaning.

Thanks!

HOLLAND GOON MEET GO MESSAGE JEOH.

Dutch goons are the best, they are willing to take 1 hour train trips across the country to meet up

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Don't ignore the Rotterdam suggestion above, it's like 20 minutes by train from Amsterdam and the industrial architecture there is Dutch AF. I only saw it by train passing through on my way to Brussels, but I'll definitely be headed back that way some day.

I used to think the British were the most badass of the europeans, or so high school history taught me. Taking a train through the Dutch countryside, which they've wholly terraformed to meet their needs, has convinced me otherwise.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Yeah, visit Rotterdam. Combine it with Delft!

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
probably stopping at both Leiden and delft along the way - thanks for the tips guys!

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

caberham posted:

HOLLAND GOON MEET GO MESSAGE JEOH.

Dutch goons are the best, they are willing to take 1 hour train trips across the country to meet up

Probably late, but the Van Gogh is open on friday nights, with a beer bar. The last time I was there thay had a dj and some live art performances as well, but I don;t think they do this every friday. Anyway. I'm not a museum guy in general, but the friday night Van Gogh was one of my best museum experiences ever.

e; Yeah late, I just watched my pc clock, it's closing in 7 minutes
e2; For other goons, do this. The Van Gogh has a really loving excellent Van Gogh & Munch exposition going on now. Do Van Gogh first and then be amazed by the similarities with another famous artists he never even met.

Rojkir fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 8, 2016

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001
So, my 2 friends and I are planning on going away for about 2.5 weeks in June. We plan on going to Barcelona for 10ish days. I've been there before and love it, and won't grow tired of it for that amount of time. My question is, where to go for the rest of the time? I was thinking flying to Rome since it seems cheap, but flying back (we'd be flying to JFK) seems really expensive and it looks like it'd be cheaper to fly to Rome, fly back to Barcelona and then fly to JFK from there. So, I'm not sure if it would be cheaper to just stay in Spain and take the train somewhere else.

Any suggestions? We'd probably split our time 50/50 between seeing stuff and partying.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't fly to another country if your budget is limited. Plus flying eats up travel time a lot more than some out of town bus or train.

You can go up the mountains and hike along http://wikitravel.org/en/Montserrat_(Spain)

I just check wiki travel and look at the last section about going out else where for day trips. To save commuting time what you want to do is to get to the smaller outer places once you land and make your way to Barcelona. That way when you fly you are closer to the airport and feel less pressed for time on your last day of travel. Buses can crash, and poo poo just happens when you are getting to the airport

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

idontcare posted:

So, my 2 friends and I are planning on going away for about 2.5 weeks in June. We plan on going to Barcelona for 10ish days. I've been there before and love it, and won't grow tired of it for that amount of time. My question is, where to go for the rest of the time? I was thinking flying to Rome since it seems cheap, but flying back (we'd be flying to JFK) seems really expensive and it looks like it'd be cheaper to fly to Rome, fly back to Barcelona and then fly to JFK from there. So, I'm not sure if it would be cheaper to just stay in Spain and take the train somewhere else.

Any suggestions? We'd probably split our time 50/50 between seeing stuff and partying.

I'd definitely stay in Spain if I were you, there's more than enough to explore without getting on an airplane or anything like that. Is there anything in particular you're interested in?

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
San Sebastián is nice for food (tapas or pintxos) / bar hopping (also great for unpretentious Michelin starred restaurants, basically a foodie Mecca), but I'm not sure if there's too much to do during the day. The food and people / general vibe were great though, and it's a short/cheap one hour flight from Barcelona.

The weird titanium Guggenheim is also a short ride away in Bilbao - the restaurant inside is surprisingly good, in the general sense not just by museum restaurant standards.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

rawrr posted:

San Sebastián is nice for food (tapas or pintxos) / bar hopping (also great for unpretentious Michelin starred restaurants, basically a foodie Mecca), but I'm not sure if there's too much to do during the day. The food and people / general vibe were great though, and it's a short/cheap one hour flight from Barcelona.

The weird titanium Guggenheim is also a short ride away in Bilbao - the restaurant inside is surprisingly good, in the general sense not just by museum restaurant standards.

San Sebastián was good but not great, in my opinion. Without the Michelin-starred restaurants, I wouldn't consider going back, just because it's quite expensive and touristy. I thought for casual foodie-ism, Logroño was way more appealing and my wallet definitely preferred it too. Haro was nifty as well, but only for a day or two (and then probably only if you really like wine).

EDIT: It's worth clarifying that the Michelin starred restaurants are seriously worth it even if they are heinously expensive. They were both the most expensive meals I've ever had and some of the most amazing values for the quality I got at the same time.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Hey guys, this May im going to Paris France with my wife for about a week. I've never left USA before and have not traveled much. My wife doesn't want to rent a car and just wants to take public transportation around. As a awkward tall American man, will I be murdered quickly in the streets of Paris or will I be left alone, since im not sure of the area i'll be staying since my wife is still looking at Air BnB and I don't want to cause problems with the locals by just being there..

I guess what I am saying is, if I enjoyed downtown Chicago, would I enjoy Paris?

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001

PT6A posted:

I'd definitely stay in Spain if I were you, there's more than enough to explore without getting on an airplane or anything like that. Is there anything in particular you're interested in?

What about heading to Valencia after? Is there enough to do there for a week? We're interested in a place with a good nightlife and nice art to see, possibly a nice beach or somewhere to go hiking.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
No, you wont be murdered for being a tourist. Why would you think that's a likely concern?

Also, your wife is right, renting a car in Paris is a terrible idea.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

idontcare posted:

What about heading to Valencia after? Is there enough to do there for a week? We're interested in a place with a good nightlife and nice art to see, possibly a nice beach or somewhere to go hiking.

I hear good things but I haven't been there myself. San Sebastián closed early by Spanish standards; Logroño was a little better in that regard, but nothing like Barcelona or Madrid. Both San Sebastián and Logroño have some decent hikes and museums and whatnot, though.

Look into Valencia more, from what I've heard it's probably more up your alley than any of my suggestions.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Edgar posted:

Hey guys, this May im going to Paris France with my wife for about a week. I've never left USA before and have not traveled much. My wife doesn't want to rent a car and just wants to take public transportation around. As a awkward tall American man, will I be murdered quickly in the streets of Paris or will I be left alone, since im not sure of the area i'll be staying since my wife is still looking at Air BnB and I don't want to cause problems with the locals by just being there..

I guess what I am saying is, if I enjoyed downtown Chicago, would I enjoy Paris?

You won't be murdered for being American. The locals won't care at all where you're from. You won't need a car at all within Paris. Enjoying downtown Chicago has no bearing on whether you will enjoy Paris because there are extremely few similarities between the two outside of La Defense (which doesn't have much to see) and the fact they both have museums.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

MagicCube posted:

You won't be murdered for being American. The locals won't care at all where you're from. You won't need a car at all within Paris. Enjoying downtown Chicago has no bearing on whether you will enjoy Paris because there are extremely few similarities between the two outside of La Defense (which doesn't have much to see) and the fact they both have museums.
I don't know, Illinois sounds kind of French.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I can't imagine not finding a way to enjoy a place as large and diverse as Paris (or London, or Berlin, or Madrid, etc...). They have pretty much anything you're interested in, as a rule (being giant, worldly cities) and they're really quite safe unless you're looking for trouble.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
But guys, you don't understand, he's tall!

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
A car will not get you anywhere in Paris. During rush hour it's faster to walk than to drive, and you cannot park anywhere and if you could you'd spend a fortune in parking fees.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

HookShot posted:

But guys, you don't understand, he's tall!

Then if Paris is anything like Madrid, his forehead is in mortal danger from low ceilings in the metro.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Edgar posted:

Your wife is dragging you to a war-stricken hellhole where jihadists run rampant looking for conspicuous white people to kidnap. A good tip though: if she wears a burqa or niqab and you grow your beard out and wear a taqiyah you'll be fine and make it back alive.

Paris gets like 30 million visitors a year, you'd have to go out of your way to stand out. Tourists are not bothered by touts / scammers except a little bit around the Arc de Triomphe. Essentially the worst that can happen is an African guy offering you 300 Eiffel Tower keychains, or a Pakistani man offering you an umbrella. No one cares about Americans really for better or for worse. Chinese are now universally recognized as the most irritating tourists across Europe, so if you're Asian-looking, then you might get a little more poo poo from people, but even if you are, as long as you don't carry around a selfie stick and take pictures of everything next to "no selfie stick and no photo" signs, and you don't spit on the ground, no one will care.

AirBNB is a good idea. It will be much nicer/larger and cheaper than hotels since you're staying for a week. Props to your wife for getting you out of your comfort zone.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

PT6A posted:

San Sebastián was good but not great, in my opinion. Without the Michelin-starred restaurants, I wouldn't consider going back, just because it's quite expensive and touristy. I thought for casual foodie-ism, Logroño was way more appealing and my wallet definitely preferred it too. Haro was nifty as well, but only for a day or two (and then probably only if you really like wine).

EDIT: It's worth clarifying that the Michelin starred restaurants are seriously worth it even if they are heinously expensive. They were both the most expensive meals I've ever had and some of the most amazing values for the quality I got at the same time.

I suppose it depends on when you go; I can see how it would be touristy and crowded during peak seasons. I went just after Christmas, and the people we've met and talked to were locals or people from the surrounding area, and we were able to stay at a nicely outfitted, spacious apartment for what I remember to be a pretty reasonable (if not cheap) rate.

But I agree it isn't really a well rounded destination with general appeal, I don't think. Even the Guggenheim exhibits in Bilbao were "hmm k that's nice". I'll have to look into Logrono!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

rawrr posted:

I suppose it depends on when you go; I can see how it would be touristy and crowded during peak seasons. I went just after Christmas, and the people we've met and talked to were locals or people from the surrounding area, and we were able to stay at a nicely outfitted, spacious apartment for what I remember to be a pretty reasonable (if not cheap) rate.

But I agree it isn't really a well rounded destination with general appeal, I don't think. Even the Guggenheim exhibits in Bilbao were "hmm k that's nice". I'll have to look into Logrono!

Yeah, maybe I was a bit harsh on it. There were some really nice things about it: the aquarium was good, the Museo San Telmo was good, hiking up Monte Urgull was a nice change (though holy gently caress did I ever feel it the next day...) It's more that, in Madrid or Logrono or even Sevilla, I found it easier to stop feeling like a tourist. I ended up not enjoying Granada that much for a similar reason.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Tall people should go to the Netherlands to feel normal. And everyone should buy travel insurance

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Saladman posted:

Your wife is dragging you to a war-stricken hellhole where jihadists run rampant looking for conspicuous white people to kidnap. A good tip though: if she wears a burqa or niqab and you grow your beard out and wear a taqiyah you'll be fine and make it back alive.

Post of the loving year.

And yeah for the love of god, don't rent a car. Parisians have gotten around Paris without a car for the last 1508 years in a row, cars are a pretty recent invention to that city, and they're actively working to get them back out of the city, because owning a car in that city is an awful, awful idea.

Enjoy your stay, Paris is a beautiful city to spend a week or two, every five years. If you liked downtown Chicago at all, you'll fall in love with Paris.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I don't know guys. It's no big surprise that some goons are just super whitebread and sheltered. Don't need to be super snarky!

Except when it's questions about Japan.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Flixbus has a deal for the next 2 days - 10 euros to anywhere in the EU. Ì'm in Copenhagen, and don't want to spend more than about 8 hours in transit.* Where should I go for a weekend trip?

Berlin was my first idea, but my friends there are too busy writing their thesis to really do anything.

*It looks like the deal doesn't count for cities more than about 12 hours away.

Edit: If any of you are interested, the deal is available through Flixbus' app, and counts for any day up to March 17th.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

caberham posted:

And everyone should buy travel insurance

:agreed:

I got hit by a car on my first big trip overseas and if nothing else it's made me a shill for travel insurance

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I got kidney stones one and spent 8 hours in an Icelandic hospital, complete with CAT scan, blood work, etc.

All paid for by travel insurance.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Broken ankle, ambulance ride, copious amounts of nitrous. Not a dime paid to anyone, insurance or not. Thank you very much NHS.

Although on the flip side, my Mom got sepsis in the U.S. and thankfully travel insurance covered the $50k bill.

It's definitely worth the $150 or so a year we pay.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Yeah, I always get travel insurance. I think I get some amount for free now as long as I use my Amex to pay for things, actually, but I think I'd still go for the proper coverage just to be safe.

EDIT: Mind you, one time the Air Canada website suggested travel insurance when I booked a trip from Calgary to Edmonton. I declined in that instance.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

Yeah, I always get travel insurance. I think I get some amount for free now as long as I use my Amex to pay for things, actually, but I think I'd still go for the proper coverage just to be safe.

Be really careful about this part. Clarify with your insurer beforehand. Anecdotal and not USA, but I know insurance companies make people jump through a lot of hoops to prove that they are not claiming their other insurance. Then both insurance companies just bounce you back and forth to keep you in limbo. I'm looking at you AIA. Source: Top immigration official in Hong Kong who has to help overseas victims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

caberham posted:

Be really careful about this part. Clarify with your insurer beforehand. Anecdotal and not USA, but I know insurance companies make people jump through a lot of hoops to prove that they are not claiming their other insurance. Then both insurance companies just bounce you back and forth to keep you in limbo. I'm looking at you AIA. Source: Top immigration official in Hong Kong who has to help overseas victims.

Hmm, good to know. I'll probably check beforehand and see if it's possible to purchase an "extension" of the default Amex insurance instead of going with a separate insurer.