Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

2016 and still people have trouble figuring out the pilot skill tree.

Great job, Paul!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Anyone have any suggestions as to what Mech I should be looking to purchase mainly for grinding out the copious amounts of C-Bills I apparently need to change anything in this game?

Is there a current "go-to" Mech for grinding out a poo poo-ton of C-Bills? Should I just keep plugging away with my Ilya-Muromets that I must have bought at some point in the past? Its running the old UAC-5 build that used to be on the WoL builds site/list, that had an AHK script to stop jams.

KFJ
Nov 7, 2009
So I just got started playing and so far I've been doing alright! Only lost one mech in three separate games, and I usually manage to kill or destroy something. I actually bought a Thunderbolt before I realized how darn expensive all the parts are, such as double heatsinks according to that build in the OP. I'll just have to make some money, I guess! I've been having some fun in the trial mechs while I save up for my Thunderbolt. No idea if the thunderbolt is actually any good, but hey, what's the worst that can happen?

I've got a question or two, if anyone would care to answer!

-Are there tiers to this like in World of Tanks or is it really just one big jumble?
-Can I play with goons even though I started yesterday?
-Are Assault mechs viable for new players?
-If I'm a big fan of ballistic weapons, what should I go for in the heavy/assault mechs?

KFJ fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 14, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Im pretty convinced i want this to be in mwo, and in my mechbay:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Yolomon Wayne posted:

oh man dual heavy gauss would cause people to rage like never before

also re: helios: does something look a bit hmmm ... off about this screenshot:

https://www.reddit.com/r/mwo/comments/40vw91/terrible_graphics/

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Yolomon Wayne posted:

The Fafnir was pretty great. It also meant I always went the way in the MW4 Mercs campaign that got you a fafnir instead of the dumbass Templar.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tindahbawx posted:

Anyone have any suggestions as to what Mech I should be looking to purchase mainly for grinding out the copious amounts of C-Bills I apparently need to change anything in this game?

Is there a current "go-to" Mech for grinding out a poo poo-ton of C-Bills? Should I just keep plugging away with my Ilya-Muromets that I must have bought at some point in the past? Its running the old UAC-5 build that used to be on the WoL builds site/list, that had an AHK script to stop jams.

The stormcrow-prime(I) in the streakcrow configuration prints bills, but costs a lot of muns. The stormcrow D in the streakcrow config is probably the second best option, even considering it doesn't have a chassis bill bonus.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

also re: helios: does something look a bit hmmm ... off about this screenshot:

https://www.reddit.com/r/mwo/comments/40vw91/terrible_graphics/

lmao

hey why does my game run like poo poo after I inject poo poo into it?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

KFJ posted:

So I just got started playing and so far I've been doing alright! Only lost one mech in three separate games, and I usually manage to kill or destroy something. I actually bought a Thunderbolt before I realized how darn expensive all the parts are, such as double heatsinks according to that build in the OP. I'll just have to make some money, I guess! I've been having some fun in the trial mechs while I save up for my Thunderbolt. No idea if the thunderbolt is actually any good, but hey, what's the worst that can happen?

I've got a question or two, if anyone would care to answer!

-Are there tiers to this like in World of Tanks or is it really just one big jumble?
-Can I play with goons even though I started yesterday?
-Are Assault mechs viable for new players?
-If I'm a big fan of ballistic weapons, what should I go for in the heavy/assault mechs?
-There are, but they're somewhat flexible. You start at Tier 5 and work your way to lower numbers. It seems like it sometimes bumps you up a tier in the matchmaker if you're won a bunch in a row though.
-Yes. Just post your ign or pester someone from the thread in game.
-They're not the easiest for newbies. Because you're so slow you have to know a lot about the maps and have really good spatial awareness to not get caught out somewhere. It could be viable in a group with another assault buddy though. You'd just want to stick next to them and shoot what they tell you to shoot.
-There are exceptions, but in general it's AC20 or multiple UAC5s. AC20 is nice because the delay generally syncs up with SRMs so you can torso twist away when they're on cooldown. UAC5 is for putting out a constant stream of lead until either you or your enemy is cored out.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Pattonesque posted:

The fafnir had ECM as well. A hundred tonner with two torso ballistic slots and ECM.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

The Fafnir was pretty great. It also meant I always went the way in the MW4 Mercs campaign that got you a fafnir instead of the dumbass Templar.

these templars sure are sweet

seriously though the Fafnir was absurd in solaris, especially against that one SOB who brought a Vulture with two Arrow IVs. gently caress that guy

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

The stormcrow-prime(I) in the streakcrow configuration prints bills, but costs a lot of muns. The stormcrow D in the streakcrow config is probably the second best option, even considering it doesn't have a chassis bill bonus.

So, unlock some Streak-crow, grind a load of bills to fit it out, then work on getting a trio of them to Elite it and work off that as a base?

KFJ
Nov 7, 2009

ImpactVector posted:

-There are, but they're somewhat flexible. You start at Tier 5 and work your way to lower numbers. It seems like it sometimes bumps you up a tier in the matchmaker if you're won a bunch in a row though.
-Yes. Just post your ign or pester someone from the thread in game.
-They're not the easiest for newbies. Because you're so slow you have to know a lot about the maps and have really good spatial awareness to not get caught out somewhere. It could be viable in a group with another assault buddy though. You'd just want to stick next to them and shoot what they tell you to shoot.
-There are exceptions, but in general it's AC20 or multiple UAC5s. AC20 is nice because the delay generally syncs up with SRMs so you can torso twist away when they're on cooldown. UAC5 is for putting out a constant stream of lead until either you or your enemy is cored out.

Gotcha! I've mostly been moving behind the rest of my team, supporting them by shooting whatever they're shooting and not getting shot too bad, myself. My IGN is KFJ. I think I'll just keep playing some games in the heavies until I get used to it. I've done the auth steps for Goonrathi, no idea if I did it right, though! Since the OP mentioned that I should just post here, I'd love to get into WoL or GIRL.

KFJ fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 14, 2016

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

A.o.D. posted:

It does.

Don't forget that last SRM4 is going to fire 2 volleys. Not as bad as 3xASRM6s, but still not ideal.

edit: oh my loving god put at least 1 jump jet on there.

Obviously the correct load out is lrm 10 lrm 5 and a streak 2. Duh.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Drythe posted:

lmao

hey why does my game run like poo poo after I inject poo poo into it?

I thought for sure that was one of you guys. I mean the dude's name is "J0ke" so I figured it couldn't be serious.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Grand Titan or gtfo.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tindahbawx posted:

So, unlock some Streak-crow, grind a load of bills to fit it out, then work on getting a trio of them to Elite it and work off that as a base?

Buy a SCR-D, fit it as a Streakcrow, grind C-bills for SCR-Prime and SCR-C but don't gear those out, just move the SCR-D omnipods/equipment around.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Meh, too humanoid mechs arent my poo poo.
Which is why i have a boner for clans and marauders (also archer, is it loving march already?)

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Meh, too humanoid mechs arent my poo poo.
Which is why i have a boner for clans and marauders (also archer, is it loving march already?)

You might like the Falconer then.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Skoll posted:

Grand Titan or gtfo.

needs a Carlos Marik hero version

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

I thought for sure that was one of you guys. I mean the dude's name is "J0ke" so I figured it couldn't be serious.

Like, he left the enemy names and his mech model intact. All someone would have to do is look at that game and then look at the pilot for that mech. Not like PGI cares though.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Drythe posted:

Like, he left the enemy names and his mech model intact. All someone would have to do is look at that game and then look at the pilot for that mech. Not like PGI cares though.

the funniest part is that there is a thread about it in one of the MWO subreddits ... started by an emp player

https://www.reddit.com/r/OutreachHPG/comments/40war2/64_people_6_months_ago_isnt_enough/

Bored Grunt
Nov 8, 2009

It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain
The Artic Cheetah build in the OP shows 3 double heat sinks but I'm only able to fit 2 in game. I noticed on the smurfy page you can't even remove one of them so I'm assuming it's just glitched in the build page and there is no way to fit 3 double heat sinks?

Just wanted to make sure I'm not being pants on my head retarded and missing something obvious.

Also game is fun again.. fun enough I put more money into it. :bang:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pattonesque posted:

the funniest part is that there is a thread about it in one of the MWO subreddits ... started by an emp player

https://www.reddit.com/r/OutreachHPG/comments/40war2/64_people_6_months_ago_isnt_enough/

Whenever we see EmP players in game now, we've taken to calling them Team Helios in all chat. It's quite gratifying. Props to whoever started that.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

lmao

he should know better than anyone nothing will even happen to that dude :pgi:

INTJ but horny
Feb 3, 2011

AH, YES.
YOU FOUND MY
LAIR'S SECRET
ENTRANCE.

Bored Grunt posted:

The Artic Cheetah build in the OP shows 3 double heat sinks but I'm only able to fit 2 in game. I noticed on the smurfy page you can't even remove one of them so I'm assuming it's just glitched in the build page and there is no way to fit 3 double heat sinks?

Just wanted to make sure I'm not being pants on my head retarded and missing something obvious.

The italics double heat sink is already there :ssh:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Skoll posted:

Whenever we see EmP players in game now, we've taken to calling them Team Helios in all chat. It's quite gratifying. Props to whoever started that.

a few of us played with another competitive team last night, and while we were spectating their best player the hax were super-obvious

unless my dude was literally a robot

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bored Grunt posted:

Some clan mechs have built-in heatsinks in some components. Smurfy shows it in blue and italicised, in-game mechlab shows them greyed out like normal hardwired components.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pattonesque posted:

a few of us played with another competitive team last night, and while we were spectating their best player the hax were super-obvious

unless my dude was literally a robot

It honestly wouldn't surprise me that if like CSGO, half of the MWO comp teams use hacks.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
I think it's funny that the redditard was named "j0ke" and he was complaining about graphics, using a screencap that probably wasn't his, showing hax to rile up any redditard that fell for it.

:bravo:

gg close

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Skoll posted:

It honestly wouldn't surprise me that if like CSGO, half of the MWO comp teams use hacks.

thankfully MWO doesn't have any leaderboards but the best way to spot a cheater or an entire group that utilizes it is seeing how individuals or groups who both consistently sit at the top of online leaderboards and tournaments completely fumble during the early stages of grand stage tournament against what is essentially an 8th seed team.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Skoll posted:

You might like the Falconer then.

While it looks like i like my mechs to look like, it would be a nightmare in game terms.
You would probably shoot your own cover for 90% of the time while still exposing your entire mech.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Spaceship shaped mechs you say? Let me introduce the Viper, the premiere " literal jet with legs" battlemech.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Skoll posted:

and this is worth posting to give an idea how littered the pro scene of virtually any game is filled with h4xs

quote:

Titan and Epsilon’s disqualification from DreamHack Winter sours the excitement around CS:GO’s biggest tournament of the year. For some, the bans have created a cloud of suspicion around other teams and players. Smn, the originally banned player, commented on a livestream on Friday about his ban and the incident, allegedly saying that as much as 40% of the pro scene is using hacks.

http://www.pcgamer.com/csgo-competitive-scene-embroiled-in-hacking-scandal-as-three-players-are-banned/

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Why would you use hacks in this game ever

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Bored Grunt posted:

You probably have a 6 sm pulse build, that's a 5 small. I personally use a 6 small build.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ZenVulgarity posted:

Some people have really small :dong:

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
like seriously, i'm the greatest player in this entire game, everyone should know my name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Fil5000 posted:

The fafnir had ECM as well. A hundred tonner with two torso ballistic slots and ECM.

To rain on your parade, it's also a 2/3 which means it's as fast as the stock Urbanmech and significantly slower than the Dire Wolf.

Elliotw2 posted:

Spaceship shaped mechs you say? Let me introduce the Viper, the premiere " literal jet with legs" battlemech.

The redesign is pretty alright.

Good vision, high weapon mounts. It's one of those `Mechs that would also be really good since it's not an Omni so you could slap a bigger engine in it if 75 tons of being as fast as a Timberwolf and having (removable) Jump Jets isn't your thing.

No, seriously, the Black Python is just about best-in-show for Clan Heavy `Mechs. It's ugly as poo poo but dear lord it'd be pretty OP.

• Locked thread