Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Man, MW:LL was such a good game, I assume its dead as hell these days?

Is it possible to transfer mechs into and out of bays, say you're not using a mech and want to free up its bay, is it possible to do that without outright selling the mech? The interface in the Mechlab is somewhat confusing.

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

PoptartsNinja posted:

To rain on your parade, it's also a 2/3 which means it's as fast as the stock Urbanmech and significantly slower than the Dire Wolf.

The redesign is pretty alright.

Good vision, high weapon mounts. It's one of those `Mechs that would also be really good since it's not an Omni so you could slap a bigger engine in it if 75 tons of being as fast as a Timberwolf and having (removable) Jump Jets isn't your thing.

No, seriously, the Black Python is just about best-in-show for Clan Heavy `Mechs. It's ugly as poo poo but dear lord it'd be pretty OP.

That actually looks pretty cool. I'd be excited to see what Alex(?) could do with that, in terms of concept art. That dude has a knack for making retarded looking robots into cool looking ones.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

To rain on your parade, it's also a 2/3 which means it's as fast as the stock Urbanmech and significantly slower than the Dire Wolf.

Good vision, high weapon mounts. It's one of those `Mechs that would also be really good since it's not an Omni so you could slap a bigger engine in it if 75 tons of being as fast as a Timberwolf and having (removable) Jump Jets isn't your thing.

No, seriously, the Black Python is just about best-in-show for Clan Heavy `Mechs. It's ugly as poo poo but dear lord it'd be pretty OP.

Also, that robot is a prime platform for some Mechashiva action. Look at the top of that torso - it even has two wide flat sections for the upper part of the Mechashiva to rest its feet.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Sorry about the 4AM badposting y'all; I'm glad people are enjoying/catching on to the Team Helios thing.

Tindahbawx posted:

Is it possible to transfer mechs into and out of bays, say you're not using a mech and want to free up its bay, is it possible to do that without outright selling the mech? The interface in the Mechlab is somewhat confusing.

The interface is also minimal, you can't move mechs between bays although IIRC that was supposed to be part of UI 2.0/3.0/. As of last summer, I tried out MW:LL and while you can sometimes find enough players for a decently-sized match you're playing on a steep learning curve against people who have been playing since before MWO appeared.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Who gave the Romulan Warbird legs?

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Skoll posted:

Who gave the Romulan Warbird legs?

It was part of my critically acclaimed fan-fiction. Also, Spock sexes Kirk alot.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Tindahbawx posted:

You silly silly person. Being able to do that would lower the amount of mech bays people have to spend $$ on.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

dreadman posted:

So i'm thinking of getting into the Victor mechs, because they look cool, and are currently on sale -
Is this build bad yes / no.
Please tell me why either way.
VTR-9S

Victors are terrible, random crazy hardpoints and most of them in the arms is basically inexcusable especially when the arms are mounted so low. They don't get any well quirked variants either. :( That said it's just a mini atlas. Run up to people and shoot them in the dick repeatedly until they fall over, it's not fast enough to peek, just like the atlas, and it's too slow to be able to get away once you have committed so just brawl your heart out.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Tindahbawx posted:

Anyone have any suggestions as to what Mech I should be looking to purchase mainly for grinding out the copious amounts of C-Bills I apparently need to change anything in this game?

Is there a current "go-to" Mech for grinding out a poo poo-ton of C-Bills? Should I just keep plugging away with my Ilya-Muromets that I must have bought at some point in the past? Its running the old UAC-5 build that used to be on the WoL builds site/list, that had an AHK script to stop jams.

I would say the Stormcrow or Arctic Cheetah, but you can also get a crab too. I've been playing them lately and they are super mean. Can go either std275 + mediium pulse or std250 + 2 large and the rest medium regular lasers. Could even put on a XL 275 if you wanted 3 large lasers but ofc way more expensive.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

You silly silly person. Being able to do that would lower the amount of mech bays people have to spend $$ on.

Vorenus posted:

The interface is also minimal, you can't move mechs between bays although IIRC that was supposed to be part of UI 2.0/3.0/.

So, just to be clear, if I want more Mechs, but dont want to buy more bays, I gotta sell something?

I appear to have a couple of Centurions in there already, would it be a sensible idea therefore to grab a 3rd, work on the skills for those first, then sell them off to make space seeing as I dont exactly find them all that good?

Sorry for all the questions, I don't entirely "get" what the best practices are for hangar bay or skill management are yet.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

KFJ posted:

So I just got started playing and so far I've been doing alright! Only lost one mech in three separate games, and I usually manage to kill or destroy something. I actually bought a Thunderbolt before I realized how darn expensive all the parts are, such as double heatsinks according to that build in the OP. I'll just have to make some money, I guess! I've been having some fun in the trial mechs while I save up for my Thunderbolt. No idea if the thunderbolt is actually any good, but hey, what's the worst that can happen?

I've got a question or two, if anyone would care to answer!

-Are there tiers to this like in World of Tanks or is it really just one big jumble?
-Can I play with goons even though I started yesterday?
-Are Assault mechs viable for new players?
-If I'm a big fan of ballistic weapons, what should I go for in the heavy/assault mechs?

No Tiers
Yes
Not really, heavies are much more forgiving.
Yeah there are a lot of good ballistic heavies. (Hellbringer, Timberwolf, Dragon, Jagermech)

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

teepo posted:

nobody can ever be as good as modpud, she is literally greatest player in the entire game, everybody knows her name

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/87101-best-players-that-you-ever-seen/page__st__440__p__1891404#entry1891404

It took me until just now to see the banned tag with reason on that post. Holy poo poo, I didn't know, that's loving amazing.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tindahbawx posted:

So, just to be clear, if I want more Mechs, but dont want to buy more bays, I gotta sell something?

I appear to have a couple of Centurions in there already, would it be a sensible idea therefore to grab a 3rd, work on the skills for those first, then sell them off to make space seeing as I dont exactly find them all that good?

Sorry for all the questions, I don't entirely "get" what the best practices are for hangar bay or skill management are yet.

Pretty much. You can earn some extra mech bays by doing CW (each faction rewards a mech bay at a specific reputation level) and sometimes they will give away mech bays during event weekends, but mostly they want you to pay for them, which you should never do unless they are on sale IIRC (If you get to the point of wanting more mech bays there's a couple ways to pay for them that makes them cheaper or at least gets you some Cbills too).

Make sure to look at the Centurions, because a lot of people were given loyalty reward Centurions and those can't be sold (bcuz :pgi:) so you're stuck with them.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Speaking of event, you'll get one if you can get 25 Most Damage Dealts and/or Solo Kills starting right now until the 19th.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I feel like my first bought mech should maybe not have been a Locust. I mean I spent about the chassis value again making it slightly less slow and adding a single heat sink. Is that just A Thing with a lot of lights?

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Beet Wagon posted:

Make sure to look at the Centurions, because a lot of people were given loyalty reward Centurions and those can't be sold (bcuz :pgi:) so you're stuck with them.

Yep, I appear to have a CN9-AH(L) that I cant get rid of, with some trashy default fit of an AC/20 along with LRM's. Seeing as I cant ditch the drat thing, I assume just pull the LRM's and stick SRM's in there instead?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

jBrereton posted:

I feel like my first bought mech should maybe not have been a Locust. I mean I spent about the chassis value again making it slightly less slow and adding a single heat sink. Is that just A Thing with a lot of lights?

Buying a good light and fitting it is expensive, as is buying and fitting a good assault. Honestly I think mediums are the most cost effective starting mechs.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

jBrereton posted:

I think my RVN-3L cost like 15m cbills?

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Coolwhoami posted:

It took me until just now to see the banned tag with reason on that post. Holy poo poo, I didn't know, that's loving amazing.

That modpudding person was a goon?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

jBrereton posted:

Some lights are super good like the cheetah, but most of the others should probably not be your first mech, they are generally the most expensive to build because of the XL requirement, but the cheetah breaks that mould too.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
RE: returning players and (L) mechs.

Since alot of returning guys may have a combination of these (L) mechs I think maybe some of the better builds of these mechs should go into the OP.

A decent build and a 30% cbill bonus will help you churn out cbills faster, especially when they hand out free Premium from time to time.

also play with Goons!

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Bait and Swatch posted:

That modpudding person was a goon?

Yes. They frequently would descend into mwo threads and stir up poo poo.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

jBrereton posted:

As a general rule plan on spending at least 1.5x to 2x the purchase cost of any IS mech just to unfuck it.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Washout posted:

Some lights are super good like the cheetah, but most of the others should probably not be your first mech, they are generally the most expensive to build because of the XL requirement, but the cheetah breaks that mould too.

I never felt you really needed an xl engine, they again if you lose a side on az jenner your probably dead anyway.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Jack2142 posted:

I never felt you really needed an xl engine, they again if you lose a side on az jenner your probably dead anyway.

pretty much every light needs an XL engine because the majority of lights need to max out their engines. the difference between 120 kph and 150 is huge

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

On a Jenner an XL + upgrades are the difference between 120kph and 4ML and 150kph and 6ML

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jack2142 posted:

Do please tell us more about your standard engine lights.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Just saw a pubbie ghost dad with LRMs and gauss rifle.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tindahbawx posted:

Yep, I appear to have a CN9-AH(L) that I cant get rid of, with some trashy default fit of an AC/20 along with LRM's. Seeing as I cant ditch the drat thing, I assume just pull the LRM's and stick SRM's in there instead?

Pretty much. I think that's basically the only viable build for that dude. AC/20 + SRM brawler. I understand it's actually a pretty baller little robot though, once you fit it out.

Jack2142 posted:

:roflolmao:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

the AC20 / SRM4 varient AH(L) kinda has two gimmicks. You can either stick a XL engine in there and be kinda bad at brawling but kinda okay at flanking and shooting butts or you can put like a standard 210 in there which makes you slow as absolute rear end (70Kmh) which relegates you to job of assault protector who runs in behind the atlas and shoots another 55 damage alpha into the enemies centre torso.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
there are a few light builds that do not use max engines, but they are generally snipey builds like this, where you can park 800m away and only need your speed for repositioning and an emergency return to the blob

RVN-4X

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
a cicada can get away with not running a max engine but it's this weird middle ground between a light and a medium.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

teepo posted:

a cicada can get away with not running a max engine but it's this weird middle ground between a light and a medium.

And even then, I can't really think of any cicada builds that don't use an XL (outside of the obviously ridiculous joke builds)

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

there are a few light builds that do not use max engines, but they are generally snipey builds like this, where you can park 800m away and only need your speed for repositioning and an emergency return to the blob

RVN-4X

That's still a max engine XL, just the 4X has a lower engine cap.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Beet Wagon posted:

And even then, I can't really think of any cicada builds that don't use an XL (outside of the obviously ridiculous joke builds)

an ac20 cicada is not a joke :colbert:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Behold. If you somehow ended up with a Loyalty crab, this is entertaining for a game or 2 at a time and is even more hilarious when it works.

Publord Special

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 14, 2016

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

If it didn't cost me half of my acquired CB, I'd probably try building it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Elliotw2 posted:

That's still a max engine XL, just the 4X has a lower engine cap.

poo poo you're right. applies in this case tho:

RVN-2X

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Beet Wagon posted:

Pretty much. I think that's basically the only viable build for that dude. AC/20 + SRM brawler. I understand it's actually a pretty baller little robot though, once you fit it out.

:roflolmao:

Pattonesque posted:

pretty much every light needs an XL engine because the majority of lights need to max out their engines. the difference between 120 kph and 150 is huge

EoRaptor posted:

Do please tell us more about your standard engine lights.

I never have had a problem with SE light mechs, for pub drops they work perfectly fine I have a couple XL's that I swap around rather than buy one for each mech. All you need to do is be able to better mange heat or armor because you have less tonnage. In regards to speed I don't really notice too much of a difference from 120-150. positioning and maneuvering I always felt work better for lights than raw speed.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Someone brought up Victors earlier. With how hardcore the nerfed the poo poo out of Orions and Victors, I wonder if I can get a refund on my Dragonslayer and Protector. Such terrible terrible mechs now.

• Locked thread