Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

actually the game will generate spacemen from birth so that they that they have a seemless integration into your star citizen experience and there will be algorithms governing the pairing and reproduction of literally BILLIONS of space nobodies with varying ugliness and fattitude so that the game can select the one closest resembling yourself for maximum immersion

so, teeth will be procedurally generated and not all diabetic lardasses have all their molars left

I would think that for the typical Star Citizen backer, the concept of reproduction would be enough to break immersion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

A little bit of context because gently caress yeah nerdgasm.

The dude there is a Space Marine, a genetically engineered superhuman generally capable of taking on entire armies on his own (depending on who is writing the fluff). You could fill an entire thread with marinechat but basically imagine a warrior monk with centuries worth of experience fighting anything that wants to kill mankind... so basically everything. This particular Space Marine is a Grey Knight, the elite sword arm of the Inquisition and tasked exclusively with combatting daemons and the warp. The existence of these guys is so secretive that Imperial Guard regiments (ie regular fodder) who fight alongside them are typically executed or sent on suicide missions afterwards. Of course the fact that the Grey Knights only typically fight daemons means that any Guard regiments fighting alongside would be mass executed anyway as a precaution against the spread of Chaos. Grey Knights are all at least moderately psychic so as to best fight the daemon and the warp. Not one Grey Knight has ever fallen to heresy, although they seem to have no problems killing Sisters of Battle while maintaining their purity (gently caress you Matt Ward).

The armor he's wearing is Tactical Dreadnought Armor, or simply "Terminator" armor. In addition to being worth more than some planets, and likely older than everyone reading this thread combined, Terminator armor essentially makes what is already an impressive warrior nearly invulnerable. Terminator armor can take on tank-grade weaponry without even being scratched, can be equipped with weapons that would crush a normal man, and is so effective that a Terminator can be stepped on by a Titan and shrug it off. The weapon he carries is a Force Halberd, a psyker-powered weapon capable of cutting through nearly any protection and also banishing daemons back to the warp. It too is priceless, as is every little relic and doodad covering his equipment. They are basically the elite amongst the elite, second arguably only to the Adeptus Custodes who guard the Emperor himself.

The poor guys with green eyes are servitors. Take a criminal (or just someone unlucky enough to be around when a servitor is needed), rewire their brains, and then attach robot arms as needed. Servitors are cyborg slaves, mindless being with no mental capacity for free will or independent thought. The 40K universe is universally opposed to any kind of artificial intelligence due to a long history of them being corrupted by chaos (seriously even loving COMPUTER CODE can be corrupted by the Warp) so servitors serve a necessary and useful purpose. Plus seeing a servitor with the word "BLASPHEMER" welded on his chest tends to provide very clear guidance as to what is and is not appropriate behavior.

40K loving rules.

aleksendr posted:

Very nice work for the servitors in the second vid but why do nearly every artist choose to forget about the black carapace implant when showing space marines without the power armor ? Its the only dammed implant that all chapters share.

It's there, you can see all the access ports. The black carapace itself is planted underneath the skin.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
would be interesting to hear exactly what games croberts played in his 10 year absence from the industry

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
I demand that every 1 in 900 Shitizen spawns has a cleft palate rendering them unable to use the chat box until evaluated by a cleft palate team consisting of a space dentist, space orthodontist, space maxillary surgeon, and space speech pathologist.

Might as well put Starfleet Dental to work.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

God drat it Crobberts. All that discussion about armor started me googling around looking at various science fiction armor setups and now like three hours later I have nothing to show for it except for the knowledge that there was an awesome rear end Starship Troopers miniature game that I desperately want but went out of production like 8 years ago.

You owe me three hours and a Starship Troopers board game, Chris Roberts.

I look forward to seeing the designs they put in The Expanse when they get to the second book. They already had some great looking Martian space marine armor in the show.

This is a post suggesting that folks in this thread might dig The Expanse, incidentally. It does Space Physics, Space Stations and Spaceships very well.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Scruffpuff posted:

It's really, really weird. The best thing to come out of this thread for me personally was a renewed interest in Elite Dangerous, which I'm finally starting to learn the ropes of. It really seems to indicate that it isn't space games per se that these people care about. People have pinned it on escapism, but that doesn't hold up in my view, because there are too many immersive (real immersion, not unskippable animations) games out there that more than fulfill that role. It has to be something else. They've managed to tap into some primal poo poo in these backers. I think it's a combination of:

- Nostalgia
- Hype
- Opposing critical thinking
- Isolating members and penalizing them for leaving
- Seeking inappropriate loyalty to their leaders

Oh wait a minute, that looks familiar.

I find it shocking that not one of them can type up a nasty reddit diatribe (Mathilda2013) and then stand up to walk away and then just freeze, thinking about what they just did online to another human about a GAME.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
star citizen is a crap name by the way

it should be named something cool

like Horizon Vacuum

or Heat Death

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

God drat it Crobberts. All that discussion about armor started me googling around looking at various science fiction armor setups and now like three hours later I have nothing to show for it except for the knowledge that there was an awesome rear end Starship Troopers miniature game that I desperately want but went out of production like 8 years ago.

You owe me three hours and a Starship Troopers board game, Chris Roberts.

Go to ebay.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

like Horizon Vacuum

or Heat Death

I like that. Or how about taking a page from ArcCorp: "High Heat".

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

DOMDOM posted:

would be interesting to hear exactly what games croberts played in his 10 year absence from the industry

Minesweeper.

Oh, and Hearts.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Gilganixon posted:

don't feel bad, my kid has developed an unhealthy fascination with trains so I've spent hours getting good at Train Simulator 2016 lately :siren::spergin::siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjuVVlSgYLc

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Nebulous Scope

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

DOMDOM posted:

He played "director" for a little while. Died on the first level though.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

:boom:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
The Currency Singularity

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

spacetoaster posted:

Just a quick reminder of what an actual, competent, game company is like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaSuyagCDsY

Wow, smiles, laughter, fun and not hollow empty soulless wide eyed terror.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

... Words...

40K loving rules.

It's there, you can see all the access ports. The black carapace itself is planted underneath the skin.

Yeah, after taking in "Literally The Worst" comment and yours i looked at the begining frame by frame and the musculature is indeed slightly off on the shoulders and you can see all the neural ports, invalidating my comment. The art team really did incredible work on that video.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

ZenMaster posted:

Wow, smiles, laughter, fun and not hollow empty soulless wide eyed terror.

yeah they actually look like they're having fun

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Scruffpuff posted:

Full Burn

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The dude there is a Space Marine, a genetically engineered superhuman generally capable of taking on entire armies on his own (depending on who is writing the fluff). You could fill an entire thread with marinechat but basically imagine a warrior monk with centuries worth of experience fighting anything that wants to kill mankind... so basically everything. This particular Space Marine is a Grey Knight, the elite sword arm of the Inquisition and tasked exclusively with combatting daemons and the warp. The existence of these guys is so secretive that Imperial Guard regiments (ie regular fodder) who fight alongside them are typically executed or sent on suicide missions afterwards. Of course the fact that the Grey Knights only typically fight daemons means that any Guard regiments fighting alongside would be mass executed anyway as a precaution against the spread of Chaos. Grey Knights are all at least moderately psychic so as to best fight the daemon and the warp. Not one Grey Knight has ever fallen to heresy, although they seem to have no problems killing Sisters of Battle while maintaining their purity (gently caress you Matt Ward).

The armor he's wearing is Tactical Dreadnought Armor, or simply "Terminator" armor. In addition to being worth more than some planets, and likely older than everyone reading this thread combined, Terminator armor essentially makes what is already an impressive warrior nearly invulnerable. Terminator armor can take on tank-grade weaponry without even being scratched, can be equipped with weapons that would crush a normal man, and is so effective that a Terminator can be stepped on by a Titan and shrug it off. The weapon he carries is a Force Halberd, a psyker-powered weapon capable of cutting through nearly any protection and also banishing daemons back to the warp. It too is priceless, as is every little relic and doodad covering his equipment. They are basically the elite amongst the elite, second arguably only to the Adeptus Custodes who guard the Emperor himself.

The poor guys with green eyes are servitors. Take a criminal (or just someone unlucky enough to be around when a servitor is needed), rewire their brains, and then attach robot arms as needed. Servitors are cyborg slaves, mindless being with no mental capacity for free will or independent thought. The 40K universe is universally opposed to any kind of artificial intelligence due to a long history of them being corrupted by chaos (seriously even loving COMPUTER CODE can be corrupted by the Warp) so servitors serve a necessary and useful purpose. Plus seeing a servitor with the word "BLASPHEMER" welded on his chest tends to provide very clear guidance as to what is and is not appropriate behavior.

40K loving rules.

drat that looked good. 40k is just oozing with style.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

They need a tagline too.

Play Once, Pay Forever

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Gilganixon posted:

ugh

fwiw here's how i'd approach power armour:

Why go with a power armor at all when you could go with an awesome space mecha? None of those soft and easily shot parts, plenty of pew pew and dakka.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

You can't even walk on a star, so how can I belong as a citizen on it.

Multi-planentary Temporary Inhabitants is more like it.

But wait, you can't even step on a planet or moon yet. Just stations and ships.

Occasional Metallic Structure Visitor.

There, sorted.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

iron buns posted:

Why go with a power armor at all when you could go with an awesome space mecha? None of those soft and easily shot parts, plenty of pew pew and dakka.

eh sometimes you gotta fit down a corridor and it's a hassle to get a gundam down there

or maybe you're broke or you're too cheap to buy your guys the good stuff

i dunno

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Scruffpuff posted:

They need a tagline too.

Play Once, Pay Forever

Wouldn't that be false advertising?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Tippis posted:

Wouldn't that be false advertising?

:thurman:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tortolia posted:

I look forward to seeing the designs they put in The Expanse when they get to the second book. They already had some great looking Martian space marine armor in the show.

This is a post suggesting that folks in this thread might dig The Expanse, incidentally. It does Space Physics, Space Stations and Spaceships very well.

Neat, I'll look into it! I don't tv much, but I love me a good space show.

Yeah, it looks like I'm gonna have to pick up models and rulebooks separately if I really want it (which is a shame, because apparently the starter box was super good), which I might do in the future. I'm gonna need poo poo for game night once my D&D campaign ends.

Man, Starship Troopers is a franchise that I really wish would get some more love. I know the second and third movies really blew rear end, but I feel like the franchise fits into a nice spot between the really generic sci-fi war stuff and the (for me) way too over the top grimdark 40K stuff. A good Starship Troopers game would actually be the best Aliens game that has ever been made.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Scruffpuff posted:

I think that's too much heat for Chris's tastes

I wish I was there when the name was pitched

Chris: Well, it's been a rough four hours, but we're finally down to Space Diversion, Captain of Ship or Destination: Orbit. So, uhh. Anyone got a three-sided die?
Sandi: Wait - I got it. Just wait till you hear this one guys!

And the rest was history

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

happyhippy posted:

You can't even walk on a star, so how can I belong as a citizen on it.

Multi-planentary Temporary Inhabitants is more like it.

But wait, you can't even step on a planet or moon yet. Just stations and ships.

Occasional Metallic Structure Visitor.

There, sorted.

:freep: Interstellar Immigrant :freep:

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

like Horizon Vacuum

or Heat Death

Or whale rapist :

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Beet Wagon posted:

A good Starship Troopers game would actually be the best Aliens game that has ever been made.

The first Aliens vs Predator game has a game mode that comes close.
Its called Survival, and you and your mates play Marines stuck in a bunker. And the objective is to survive for as long as possible against the AI Aliens.
gently caress it was amazing back in the day. Aliens could get through windows and there was so little room in the bunker itself, but if coordinated you could prevent them reaching you.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

happyhippy posted:

Its called Survival, and you and your mates play Marines stuck in a bunker. And the objective is to survive for as long as possible against the AI Aliens.
gently caress it was amazing back in the day. Aliens could get through windows and there was so little room in the bunker itself, but if coordinated you could prevent them reaching you.

Played the gently caress outta that game mode on LANs with buddies back in the day. It also had pretty much the best flamethrower ever made in a video game. Until Return to Castle Wolfenstein came, that is.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Can we just talk about the wildly heavy metal poo poo in 40k instead of this dumb gay game

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Erenthal posted:

Played the gently caress outta that game mode on LANs with buddies back in the day. It also had pretty much the best flamethrower ever made in a video game. Until Return to Castle Wolfenstein came, that is.

I need to replay AvP1 and 2. I seem to recall that they were pretty good (if you stayed away from the “P” portion), except for having somewhat unintuitive maps, even for their time.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Gilganixon posted:

How can there be a star citizen dental service without fully modeled tooth decay mechanics and a tooth-filling mini game that outclasses real dentistry?

the dentist class is just going to be a space marine with a tooth decal patched on the shoulder isn't it :(

well i posted on RSI that i want to be a space dentist and do house calls to alien worlds and work primarily on toothed birds, and crobberts said maybe, so that means yes

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
i am still brought to tears on a daily basis because the warhamz 40k MMOFPS was cancelled and i was forced to waste my time with planetside 2 :negative:

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

like Horizon Vacuum

or Heat Death

JPEG Viewer

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Tippis posted:

I need to replay AvP1 and 2. I seem to recall that they were pretty good (if you stayed away from the “P” portion), except for having somewhat unintuitive maps, even for their time.

What was wrong with the P portion? Slicing others in half with the disc was awesome.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

happyhippy posted:

God drat I loved the first two Alien vs Predator games. The second one had an Evac game-mode that could be (and often was) heart-attack inducingly stressful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Warhammer seems really dumb and tryhard. Is it supposed to be a parody?

• Locked thread