Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

This is probably a really easy one ... Can anyone recommend a particular app for my iPhone I can setup with my daily commute to work and have it give me a simple traffic report widget to look at? Preferably something lightweight, free with no ads, doesn't use a lot of data, etc. But I'm fine paying $$ if the product is good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Spark seems like the most seamless migration from Mailbox. I've given up on Inbox because of the lack of icon badges, but Spark has an option for them! Woo!

Now, about that Mac and iPad app, Readdle!

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

This is probably a really easy one ... Can anyone recommend a particular app for my iPhone I can setup with my daily commute to work and have it give me a simple traffic report widget to look at? Preferably something lightweight, free with no ads, doesn't use a lot of data, etc. But I'm fine paying $$ if the product is good enough.

So less simple than the one on your today screen?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

benisntfunny posted:

So less simple than the one on your today screen?

It's been about 2 weeks and I'm getting nothing from it still. I was trying to figure out how the built in one worked and it sounds like it just takes forever for some people, and for some people it just doesn't work at all :shrug:

Doesn't seem like a tough concept to just be able to tell it what my commute is but I guess I can just deal without it if I have to.

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

Croc Monster posted:

That's what I use them on. No problems at all. Running 9.2, non-jailbroken.

Thanks, I bought them and I really like them! :)

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Vanellope posted:

Thanks, I bought them and I really like them! :)

Excellent. Glad I could help!

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It's been about 2 weeks and I'm getting nothing from it still. I was trying to figure out how the built in one worked and it sounds like it just takes forever for some people, and for some people it just doesn't work at all :shrug:

Doesn't seem like a tough concept to just be able to tell it what my commute is but I guess I can just deal without it if I have to.

You have location service on and such? I mean my stupid phone even knows where I go to lunch and let's me know I'll be there in three minutes.

I guess for simplicity you could just save your work address and look it up in apple maps. Just tell Siri to take you to work.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

benisntfunny posted:

You have location service on and such? I mean my stupid phone even knows where I go to lunch and let's me know I'll be there in three minutes.

I guess for simplicity you could just save your work address and look it up in apple maps. Just tell Siri to take you to work.

Yeah I double checked to see that all that stuff was on. It's got the locations in 'frequent locations', maybe it's getting confused because I work from home some days. Hopefully it'll pick up on it after a while.

Siri said specifically she couldn't give me a traffic report which is funny, but 'go to work' or 'traffic' both seem pretty low hassle so I'll just stick with those in the mean time.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Overcast used to show newest episodes first in the Unplayed and All categories, now it shows oldest first. Anyway to fix this? please help!! :(

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Did tapping on the Unplayed and All buttons do nothing? Both of them have an arrow for me and tapping will change the ordering.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Mierenneuker posted:

Did tapping on the Unplayed and All buttons do nothing? Both of them have an arrow for me and tapping will change the ordering.

Jfc, that's it. Thanks.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

thanks to everyone who recommended spark as a replacement for mailbox. there's a little more to the UI but it does all the same functions.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
There's no iPad or desktop client.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

baram. posted:

thanks to everyone who recommended spark as a replacement for mailbox. there's a little more to the UI but it does all the same functions.
Ya, I just want 'em to hurry up and do an iPad version. I'm using the old gmail app right now, but it's not the as good. Inbox just frustrated me - I'm sure I do mail wrong.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

rear end Catchcum posted:

There's no iPad or desktop client.

Coming soon, they say!

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I'm having an issue with App Family Sharing. My wife and I have our own Apple IDs, but I've set us up as a family in Settings - iCloud - Family. When I open the App Store and look at an App that she's bought before ("Day One" for example), it gives me the price, not the option to download. When I go to App Store - Updates - Purchased - Select my wife under Family Purchases, it says she has no purchases.

I haven't bothered to see what this looks like from her iPhone (looking at my purchases), so maybe that'll help me understand what's happening. Anything I can do in the meantime? I've logged out/back in to no avail.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

canyonero posted:

I'm having an issue with App Family Sharing. My wife and I have our own Apple IDs, but I've set us up as a family in Settings - iCloud - Family. When I open the App Store and look at an App that she's bought before ("Day One" for example), it gives me the price, not the option to download. When I go to App Store - Updates - Purchased - Select my wife under Family Purchases, it says she has no purchases.

I haven't bothered to see what this looks like from her iPhone (looking at my purchases), so maybe that'll help me understand what's happening. Anything I can do in the meantime? I've logged out/back in to no avail.

Tap on updates 10 times in a row to clear the cache (yes, this is seriously a thing). If that doesn't work, download a new, free app.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Is there a way to add arbitrary codes to Wallet? I just want to put my Qdoba barcode in there. :saddowns:

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
I found this the other day, but haven't given it a shot yet.

https://www.passsource.com

Millions fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 15, 2016

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Millions posted:

I found this the other day, but haven't given it a shot yet.

https://www.passsource.com

I've used this off and on since Passbook was first released, and it works OK for some of it's premade templates, but is kinda difficult if you want to customize your own.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I recently came back to Apple after a decent departure and am seeing that Appshopper has turned into some kind of lovely mess? What is the current new hotness to keep a wishlist of apps and have them provide a notification when they go on sale?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

TraderStav posted:

I recently came back to Apple after a decent departure and am seeing that Appshopper has turned into some kind of lovely mess? What is the current new hotness to keep a wishlist of apps and have them provide a notification when they go on sale?

Unless I've been unknowingly missing alerts, I haven't had any issues with Appshopper. What's a mess about it?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

cbirdsong posted:

Unless I've been unknowingly missing alerts, I haven't had any issues with Appshopper. What's a mess about it?

I admit I'm basing this on reviews but apparently it recently moved to this new social angle (perhaps to get by Apple filters??) and people are flipping out that it's busted and unusable. Seemed universally hated as you often see when an app jumps the shark so I just presumed. But I always clear this stuff with goons so when I'm wrong I get nice and course corrected.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I guess I really only use the web site with email alerts. The app might be terrible, and I wouldn't know.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

can spark not zoom out to show a whole email? on a 5s and I can't seem to get it to work.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TraderStav posted:

AppShopper's been doing fine with me though I don't use notifications for it.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Apple just made iOS even better for those musician types--there's a new app called Music Memos where you can record a riff or chord pattern or whatever; after you're done it'll analyze it, show a waveform with the chords/notes you played, and add an (optional) drum or bass part. It's dead simple and surprisingly powerful. You won't want to use it for anything serious but it's a great little demo recorder.

The second thing is a GarageBand update that adds Ableton Live triggered-loops style song creation/playback as an option. This is actually theoretically very cool--you can load in samples that you've added to your phone, so it would be entirely possible to create a bunch of loops, throw them on your phone, and then DJ a set off of the phone. It wouldn't be very practical, mind, but it would be possible.

I've already created an entirely passable chillwave song using the loops that came with GarageBand.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

lelandjs posted:

The second thing is a GarageBand update that adds Ableton Live triggered-loops style song creation/playback as an option. This is actually theoretically very cool--you can load in samples that you've added to your phone, so it would be entirely possible to create a bunch of loops, throw them on your phone, and then DJ a set off of the phone. It wouldn't be very practical, mind, but it would be possible.

I've already created an entirely passable chillwave song using the loops that came with GarageBand.

No kidding. Holy poo poo this is more than a game changer. What's more than a game changer? :monocle:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The singularity?

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Is there anything like Duet Display (which is currently 50% off) that supports Linux as the host? I've got an older Retina iPad I'd like to use as a second monitor for a CentOS laptop.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

spoof posted:

Is there anything like Duet Display (which is currently 50% off) that supports Linux as the host? I've got an older Retina iPad I'd like to use as a second monitor for a CentOS laptop.

This is all I could find. In true Linux tradition, it's pretty hacky and probably performs like a hippo ice-skating.

http://www.shimweasel.com/2013/06/23/an-ipad-as-an-extra-screen-for-linux/

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
I know this is well-trodden ground, so I apologize, but will either Downcast or Overcast allow me to import audio? I've got old audio files I'd like to listen to with the smart speed feature.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Minus1Minus1 posted:

I know this is well-trodden ground, so I apologize, but will either Downcast or Overcast allow me to import audio? I've got old audio files I'd like to listen to with the smart speed feature.

Downcast, maybe. Overcast via Justcast, yes. Otherwise, no.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I tried loading into Downcast via iTunes but that never worked. I use Justcast and Overcast now for them.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

lelandjs posted:

Apple just made iOS even better for those musician types--there's a new app called Music Memos where you can record a riff or chord pattern or whatever; after you're done it'll analyze it, show a waveform with the chords/notes you played, and add an (optional) drum or bass part. It's dead simple and surprisingly powerful. You won't want to use it for anything serious but it's a great little demo recorder.

Music memos is utterly awesome. Was playing my acoustic and it makes a perfect tool for songwriting. It does a decent job getting the chords and you can add the drum and bass to get a rough idea of what it will come together too. Very cool for a free app. Between that and the new garagband, Apple really came through big.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Downcast imports audio dragged and dropped into it on iTunes 100% fine for me.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Vince MechMahon posted:

Downcast imports audio dragged and dropped into it on iTunes 100% fine for me.

Weird, where do you find it in the app afterwards? Quite possible I missed it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

hadji murad posted:

Weird, where do you find it in the app afterwards? Quite possible I missed it.

More>Tools>Import Media Files.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
What's the easiest way to load a video file on my wife's iPad without using iTunes? She's never had it connected to iTunes and I don't feel like jumping through the hoops that it would entail, so I'm hoping there's an app that will let me download it directly from my server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You can just stick it in Dropbox.

Or you can use Waltr if you have the file on a Mac.