Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

atomicthumbs posted:

I have discovered that there is a brand of woo involving breathing singlet oxygen to supposedly increase fitness performance :stonk:

Oh no it's fine I'll have a kale-beetroot-berry shake to store up my antioxidants.

.....riiiiiiight after my bleach enema

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 20:57 on Jan 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Suitaru posted:

A methyl group is a carbon with three hydrogens on it, with the fourth available bond on the carbon sticking to whatever's been methylated. Methyl groups are sizable compared to their mass and nonpolar. If cell walls get methylated, the lipids don't fit together very well and the membrane starts leaking; if DNA gets methylated when it shouldn't be (DNA methylation is a common reaction in many forms of life, but only at specific spots on the genome), the various proteins that read it and do things to it bump into the methyl group and can't go any further; anything that relies on being polar to participate in enzymatic reactions will stop working if the ligand or enzyme gets methylated. It's kind of hard to nail down exactly what goes wrong with methylation because A. it's like dumping ball bearings covered in glue into a car engine, something's gonna get weird but who the hell knows what, and B. usually the methyl group itself is not nearly as dangerous as what it's attached to, because methyl groups being nonpolar/not very dense/relatively small mean they happily float through lipid membranes and anything else nonpolar. As people have mentioned, this is basically a VIP ticket for whatever's attached to go hang out and party inside the nearest available cell. For example, you might have seen pictures of people sitting on liquid mercury and being fine, but dimethylmercury is one of the most powerful neurotoxins known to science. The famous case of Karen Wetterhahn is the classic example - she spilled a couple drops of dimethylmercury onto her latex-gloved hand, cleaned it off after maybe a minute, and spent the remaining year of her life in a vegetative state. The methyl groups helped the mercury diffuse through the glove, through her skin, and into her body in the space of twenty seconds tops, and from that point on she was doomed.
:stare: All righty. Thanks for the horrifying explanation.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh no it's fine I'll have a kale-beetroot-berry shake to store up my antioxidants.

.....riiiiiiight after my bleach enema

Boy, this is the FOOF thread. The only acceptable enema in this thread is a self-administered hydrofluoric acid enema.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

darthbob88 posted:

:stare: All righty. Thanks for the horrifying explanation.

:science:

It's not all bad. A common solvent in many applications is dimethyl sulfoxide. Though it is a polar molecule (due to the sulfur and double-bonded oxygen loving the poo poo out of electrons, too strong for the methyl groups to hold on to them), the methyl groups give it the same property of quickly diffusing through nonpolar things like lipid membranes (well, it diffuses through almost anything, but that's beside the point). But it's not very toxic - I mean, you could certainly kill yourself with some, but in the same way you could kill yourself with a cabinet full of Everclear or something - and odorless, which is unusual for a sulfur-containing compound. For this reason it is used for topical painkillers and stuff - put a bit of a medicine in DMSO, apply the solution to the skin, and the DMSO quickly diffuses through the skin into the body, carrying the medicine with it. You just have to be careful not to put anything bad into the mix, because it'll carry the bad poo poo with it just as readily.

My favorite property of DMSO is that it tastes like garlic, and if it's placed anywhere on the skin, after less than a minute most people taste garlic. It goes right through your skin so quickly that it hits the bloodstream almost right away, and when it gets to the mouth, some will diffuse right back out and land on the tongue, causing the taste.

It's thought that excessive DMSO use was the cause of the "toxic lady"; the theory is that doctors' use of oxygen and defibrillation in an attempt to stabilize a woman suffering from cervical cancer caused the DMSO in her system - built up to incredibly high levels due to kidney problems preventing its elimination from her body - to undergo a series of chemical reactions, eventually creating small amounts of the extremely toxic dimethyl sulfate.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Norwegian state broadcasting is awesome.
The show is called "Don't try this at home" and they mean it.
Here they make 32 grams of Triacetone Triperoxide (TATP) out of badly concealed household chemicals and blow up a pillow.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Thomas Midgley, who postumously has the distinction of both being the father of high octane fuels and being humanities greatest poisoner. In one specific instance, Midgley, in order to demonstrate the apparent safety of leaded gasoline:

quote:

poured [Tetraethyllead-infused gasoline] over his hands, then placed a bottle of the chemical under his nose and inhaled its vapor for sixty seconds, declaring that he could do this every day without succumbing to any problems whatsoever

After this demonstration of how safe leaded gasoline truly is, he ended up undergoing chellation therapy in Europe for almost two years :ironicat:

Gobbeldygook posted:

Boy, this is the FOOF thread. The only acceptable enema in this thread is a self-administered hydrofluoric acid enema.

What the gently caress, why would you

quote:

while intoxicated from intranasal cocaine administration.

Oh. :gonk:

A Festivus Miracle has a new favorite as of 22:37 on Jan 13, 2016

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Suitaru posted:

:science:

It's not all bad. A common solvent in many applications is dimethyl sulfoxide. Though it is a polar molecule (due to the sulfur and double-bonded oxygen loving the poo poo out of electrons, too strong for the methyl groups to hold on to them), the methyl groups give it the same property of quickly diffusing through nonpolar things like lipid membranes (well, it diffuses through almost anything, but that's beside the point). But it's not very toxic - I mean, you could certainly kill yourself with some, but in the same way you could kill yourself with a cabinet full of Everclear or something - and odorless, which is unusual for a sulfur-containing compound. For this reason it is used for topical painkillers and stuff - put a bit of a medicine in DMSO, apply the solution to the skin, and the DMSO quickly diffuses through the skin into the body, carrying the medicine with it. You just have to be careful not to put anything bad into the mix, because it'll carry the bad poo poo with it just as readily.

My favorite property of DMSO is that it tastes like garlic, and if it's placed anywhere on the skin, after less than a minute most people taste garlic. It goes right through your skin so quickly that it hits the bloodstream almost right away, and when it gets to the mouth, some will diffuse right back out and land on the tongue, causing the taste.

It's thought that excessive DMSO use was the cause of the "toxic lady"; the theory is that doctors' use of oxygen and defibrillation in an attempt to stabilize a woman suffering from cervical cancer caused the DMSO in her system - built up to incredibly high levels due to kidney problems preventing its elimination from her body - to undergo a series of chemical reactions, eventually creating small amounts of the extremely toxic dimethyl sulfate.

You can also dissolve toxins in DMSO. Then you can kill people by just spraying some of that solution on their skin.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Caconym posted:

Norwegian state broadcasting is awesome.
The show is called "Don't try this at home" and they mean it.
Here they make 32 grams of Triacetone Triperoxide (TATP) out of badly concealed household chemicals and blow up a pillow.
I love that show. Their XXL sized bottle rocket is great too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JKa7ic0ONs

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

zedprime posted:

Asbestos did nothing wrong.

Although its probably safe to file away with stuff like DDT and CFCs as materials too beautiful for the human decision making process.

Asbestos is usually fine, until you find it in it's raw form in the base of a metasomatised zinc-lead deposit and then lose 6 weeks of mine production while you find qualified hazardous waste removalists who are also qualified to work underground to get rid of it for you. Good things it's rare in that environment.

Stupid asbestos.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A White Guy posted:

Thomas Midgley, who postumously has the distinction of both being the father of high octane fuels and being humanities greatest poisoner. In one specific instance, Midgley, in order to demonstrate the apparent safety of leaded gasoline:

After this demonstration of how safe leaded gasoline truly is, he ended up undergoing chellation therapy in Europe for almost two years :ironicat:

quote:

I'm not even making this up. the two best quotes about him are that he "had more impact on the atmosphere than any other single organism in Earth's history" (J. R. McNeill) and that he had "an instinct for the regrettable that was almost uncanny" (Bill Bryson).

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Memento posted:

Asbestos is usually fine, until you find it in it's raw form in the base of a metasomatised zinc-lead deposit and then lose 6 weeks of mine production while you find qualified hazardous waste removalists who are also qualified to work underground to get rid of it for you. Good things it's rare in that environment.

Stupid asbestos.

Then they want twice the going rate and there's a slipstrike fault in the overburden...

Oh, and it's loving Crocidolite.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carbon dioxide posted:

You can also dissolve toxins in DMSO. Then you can kill people by just spraying some of that solution on their skin.

Skip the middleman and use pure dimethyl mercury.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Ignimbrite posted:

Oh, and it's loving Crocidolite.

:stare:

that article posted:

Bolivian crocidolite was used in Kent Micronite cigarette filters in the 1950s.

"Kent Micronite: No, seriously. Cancer."

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

More info about the Kent Micronite filters and the resulting lawsuits here: http://www.fairwarning.org/2013/10/legal-battles-smolder-six-decades-after-the-greatest-health-protection-in-cigarette-history/

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

DMSO
The Dead Kennedys had a song about that. "I'm doing my part behind the lines, swabbing door handles of cop cars with DMSO mixed with LSD."

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Hypofluorous acid is a fun little chemical. Made from fluorine gas (uh-oh), it spontaneously explodes at 0°C and turns into hydrofluoric acid and oxygen gas, all agitated and mobilized and ready to eat your bones and set your lab on fire.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Recently I've been asked to work with a series of nerve agent simulants, mainly ones similar to sarin in IR
Sarin for reference:

here's the primary simulant most people use

PI says "Can we get something more similar to sarin?"

And I mean, technically the answer is yes.

Most simulants say "harmful if ingested" or "harmful on contact"
Ethyl methylphosphonofluoridate? "deadly on contact, deadly if ingested, deadly if inhaled" and also "If you plan on using this contact your local hospital so they can order the antidote."

At this point it's like why not just order sarin. I'm probably dead either way. Someone in my lab got decently permanently blinded after opening a chemical fridge too quickly and spilled chemicals down their forehead past their goggles into their eyes.

This will probably be my last post depending on if I eat nerve agents or not

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mortimer posted:

Recently I've been asked to work with a series of nerve agent simulants, mainly ones similar to sarin in IR
Sarin for reference:

Ethyl methylphosphonofluoridate? "deadly on contact, deadly if ingested, deadly if inhaled" and also "If you plan on using this contact your local hospital so they can order the antidote."

At this point it's like why not just order sarin. I'm probably dead either way. Someone in my lab got decently permanently blinded after opening a chemical fridge too quickly and spilled chemicals down their forehead past their goggles into their eyes.

Jesus Christ, simply saying that thing's name out loud might as well be a crime.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Wrong thread.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH has a new favorite as of 05:35 on Jan 15, 2016

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Mortimer posted:

Sarin for reference:

Find another employer. :stare:

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Get a new job.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Do you have skulls on your work uniform?

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Mortimer posted:

Sarin for reference:

I appreciate and sympathize with you guys while simultaneously deciding to go to no-science teaching was the best choice I made.

No wonder the life expectancy for chemists is so low. Literally staring death in the face as needed.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Mortimer posted:

Thanks for making me feel better about having kind of a lovely week in grad school.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Mortimer posted:

Sarin for reference:

What do you do? Work for Cobra Commander?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Mortimer posted:

What are such things even used for?

quote:

stay safe chemistry ghost

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Mortimer posted:

Sarin for reference:

Thank you for your dedication and willingness to donate your body to science :911:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

SynthOrange posted:

Do you have skulls on your work uniform?

Pertinent question.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Mortimer posted:

Sarin for reference:

Let's break this down.

Ethyl? Nope.

Methyl-? Nope.

Phosphono-? Nope.

-Fluoridate? Nope.

There is no part of that entire compound anyone wants to be around. It's the all-star team of "Will kill you in new and horrifying ways." It's the sort of thing loving Doctor Doom would create.

Might as well bolt some loving chlorine in there too, just to shine it up nice.

Gyro Zeppeli has a new favorite as of 11:34 on Jan 15, 2016

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
What color jumpsuit do you wear? Is the commute to the volcano base terrible, or do you just live on site?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Please, speed suit

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Let's break this down.

Ethyl? Nope.

Methyl-? Nope.

Phosphono-? Nope.

-Fluoridate? Nope.

There is no part of that entire compound anyone wants to be around. It's the all-star team of "Will kill you in new and horrifying ways." It's the sort of thing loving Doctor Doom would create.

I'm coming back to what I said before about Organometallic compunds:
It's the whole, not the parts on their lonesome.
Though what makes Sarin do what sarin does is that methylphosphonofluoridate core, everything else added on increases or decreases it's efficiency.

fake e:
Was gonna write some things about chirality and stereoisomers but decided against it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Let's break this down.

Ethyl? Nope.
Hydroxide. :colbert:

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Let's break this down.

Ethyl? Nope.

Methyl-? Nope.

Phosphono-? Nope.

-Fluoridate? Nope.

:magical: It's real-life "ethylmethylbadstuff" Our HAZMAT/EOD instructor liked to throw out to make us laugh at some of the horrific training pictures/videos we got to see.

Also, sever.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

sharing in the terror

fake e:
Was gonna write some things about chirality and stereoisomers but decided against it.

:justpost:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

I'm coming back to what I said before about Organometallic compunds:
It's the whole, not the parts on their lonesome.
Though what makes Sarin do what sarin does is that methylphosphonofluoridate core, everything else added on increases or decreases it's efficiency.

fake e:

This is very true. Ethanol, the thing I want to consume after looking at death the molecule, contains an ethyl group.

The short chain organics just do so much for bioavailability.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The safety department did the first cool thing they've ever done.

I send in my request to get this stuff and of course they call me to confirm I want to do this dumb thing and ask if I have proper safety equipment. Aha, I've found an out. I say uhh no we don't sorry, I'll let you know when we do. I told the PI safety was jerking me around and it'll get ordered when they approve it. That's not true of course, but if I told him "I don't think this is safe" or "I want to live to see 30" he would be very mad with me.

I work in a civilian military lab, so funded by and run by the military/usgov but staffed by mostly ex-NIST people.

My other area of work is in explosives detection, nothing gets your blood flowing than mixing #2 fuel oil into ammonium nitrate crystals. It turns into this weird explosive paste.

Nothing I do is as dangerous as like...Jimmie Oxleys group at URI. One of the people I work with from there taught me to make small batches of C4 which didn't even phase him because he was used to making it by the kilo

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I don't know if I should be the one to ask because I'd probably just lurk a hypothetical A/T thread, but have you considered making an A/T thread? Unless the military connection means you can't say much. This all sounds incredibly :magical:.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mortimer posted:

The safety department did the first cool thing they've ever done.

I send in my request to get this stuff and of course they call me to confirm I want to do this dumb thing and ask if I have proper safety equipment. Aha, I've found an out. I say uhh no we don't sorry, I'll let you know when we do. I told the PI safety was jerking me around and it'll get ordered when they approve it. That's not true of course, but if I told him "I don't think this is safe" or "I want to live to see 30" he would be very mad with me.

I work in a civilian military lab, so funded by and run by the military/usgov but staffed by mostly ex-NIST people.

All you guys need is a biochem department.
Jesus how much are they paying you.

I know it's not (as) much (as it should be), Chemist job market :smith: It's why I bailed off my course.

Suitaru posted:

sharing in the terror

:justpost:

I didn't because it's supremely boring and I hate to explain it but usually it ends up as something like:
Because this molecule is rotated around this point in this certain way, it does not work! But if it was rotated this way you're dead!
Example: LSD has 4 stereoisomers, only one is active, the rest do absolutely gently caress all even if you ate a gram.

(I absolutely hate explaining chirality/steroisomerism so please no)

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 17:14 on Jan 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

I don't know if I should be the one to ask because I'd probably just lurk a hypothetical A/T thread, but have you considered making an A/T thread? Unless the military connection means you can't say much. This all sounds incredibly :magical:.

I've considered it but the same parts that are the most interesting are also the things I can't talk about.

All you guys need is a biochem department.
Jesus how much are they paying you.

I know it's not (as) much (as it should be), Chemist job market :smith:

I'm actually a biochemist who did a lot of analytical chemistry and most employers just ask "Can you use a GCMS and FTIR? We don't care what else you did."

I used to work on kidney cancer early diagnosis :(

Confirmed for not paid a lot though