Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

maduin posted:

Here's a copy of f.lux: https://cl.ly/2o1w170w3Y3z

Sideload it through xcode. Though by next summer it won't matter, since I'm sure Apple will build it into iOS X

Sign up for my new weblog daring iceball since i'm better @ predicting apple than john gruber himself.

Seriously though, I'm glad they're building it in and it'll be great to have, but it's so lovely to just steal f.lux; guess that's sorta Apple's MO though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Don't bother side loading f.lux , it has to constantly wake up your screen and it's annoying as poo poo.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Just install the 9.3 beta config file and then OTA install the 9.3 beta

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Trying to get Siri to understand the word Costco is loving infuriating.

"Add milk to my Costco list"
"I do not see a reminders list named Cosco. Would you like me to create one?"
"gently caress YOU!"

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

"gently caress YOU!"

So let her create one and use the Cosco list as the Costco list :shrug:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Croc Monster posted:

That is going to mess everything up for him, seeing as his name is Cosco Quasco Klosto III and he has lists for all three names you see

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

"gently caress YOU!"

This is the way all my most of my Siri sessions end up. "gently caress you Siri, gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you". I wish I could hear her cry.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Croc Monster posted:

Don't worry, crisis averted. I renamed it to Grocery List.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I love that they keep updating notes as I prefer to use it over anything else currently. It would be nice if they would just add it to watch already, despite difficulties with syncing between devices.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

"gently caress YOU!"

Try over enunciating the T, she needs that hard stop to pick it up properly.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mulva posted:

Try over enunciating the T, she needs that hard stop to pick it up properly.

Yup, this.

"coST co"

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
The iPhone Thread: in which we learn to enunciate for siri

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Well yeah, I get that, but it's easier to just say Grocery rather than yell a T every time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

No Siri problems here

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

gently caress, this thing can't do ANYTHING right!

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I love that they keep updating notes as I prefer to use it over anything else currently. It would be nice if they would just add it to watch already, despite difficulties with syncing between devices.

Yeah, man, notes is real good, but why the gently caress does it still have the fake page texture? What rear end in a top hat at Apple refuses to let that poo poo die?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I accidentally deleted an iMessage conversation that I really wanted to keep. I'm assuming the only way to get it back would be to restore from a backup (in this case, an iCloud backup)? How many backups are kept in iCloud? Of course it backed up shortly after. I have plenty of space available in iCloud, if that matters.

To do an iCloud backup I have to erase everything and start from scratch, right? It'll remember what apps I had and redownload, but any progress/whatever in the apps is gone?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I've had an iPhone 6S for two months now and the only music on it was previously purchased iTunes music that I manually downloaded to the phone. As of yesterday, when I hit shuffle my iPhone plays EVERYTHING I've bought on iTunes over the last decade, not just the ones I manually downloaded to my phone. It's all streaming too, none of it is on my iPhone. Help.

I have no idea if this helps but I was listening to music at the park and it was totally normal. Then my friend picked me up in his car and instead of playing music through his AUX, he plays it through a Lightning cable. And that's where it first started playing everything I've ever downloaded. I almost never connect my iPhone to my PC so I can't remember anything else that might have changed this setting.

EDIT: I think I fixed it. From "playlists" in the Music App I toggled "Only downloaded music" on and reset my iPhone. The music I downloaded from the last 10 years is now gone from my phone.

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 13, 2016

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.
Has anyone ran into the bent iPhone 6 issue recently? My audio recently stopped working (can't hear calls, music, etc - through the earpiece, speaker, or headphones) so I took it in and the rep pointed out it was bent, which I hadn't even noticed. He said they'd probably have to do a phone swap since they wouldn't be able to get the screen back on a bent phone, which would cost $329

I don't have any kind of Apple Care or warranty on it so just wondering if that's really my only option here. I can still get audio fine through bluetooth for what it's worth.

edit: It's a 6 plus, purchased December 2014

weinus fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 13, 2016

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Atleast Siri can beatbox

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

weinus posted:

Has anyone ran into the bent iPhone 6 issue recently? My audio recently stopped working (can't hear calls, music, etc - through the earpiece, speaker, or headphones) so I took it in and the rep pointed out it was bent, which I hadn't even noticed. He said they'd probably have to do a phone swap since they wouldn't be able to get the screen back on a bent phone, which would cost $329

I don't have any kind of Apple Care or warranty on it so just wondering if that's really my only option here. I can still get audio fine through bluetooth for what it's worth.

edit: It's a 6 plus, purchased December 2014

Worst case you can email Phil and try to cash in on that bent iPhone promise he made.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

ChetReckless posted:

I accidentally deleted an iMessage conversation that I really wanted to keep. I'm assuming the only way to get it back would be to restore from a backup (in this case, an iCloud backup)? How many backups are kept in iCloud? Of course it backed up shortly after. I have plenty of space available in iCloud, if that matters.

To do an iCloud backup I have to erase everything and start from scratch, right? It'll remember what apps I had and redownload, but any progress/whatever in the apps is gone?

Unfortunately you're poo poo outta luck here. iCloud backup is intended to cover you for a phone being lost/stolen/broken beyond repair, so it only keeps one backup (unlike Time Machine on a Mac which fills any available space with history and allows you to recover deleted files). If it did complete a backup after you deleted the conversation then there's no way to restore it, sorry!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Atleast Siri can beatbox

This is brilliant.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

killa-pope posted:

I got the e-mail 4 hours ago? Downloading now, either way.

I'm not a developer and it seems public beta hasn't started yet.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Can anyone recommend a screen protector to go with the Apple leather case?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Shear Modulus posted:

You just triggered me directly into space.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Shear Modulus posted:

I bought a cheapo tempered glass set off amazon and it works well.

I need them as I apparently carry rocks in my pockets.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
My work gave me an iphone 6s for free, so I figured I would give it a shot. I normally swap between my 5S and Nexus 6P, so I leave iMessage off. I've had such horrible experiences with iMessage getting activated on my phone number, and then I need to tell everyone who sent me a message to delete it and start a new conversation once I unregister my number/turn off iMessage. In an effort to avoid going through all of that again, I went into the Apple store before I activated the phone. The Genius there assured me iMessage wouldn't be activated since I was using my 5S backup. Of course that was complete bullshit, because a minute after I turned on the phone, I received an iMessage. He tried turning it off on the phone, as well as unregistering my number on the website they provide. Neither worked, and now I seem to be stuck. Anyone have any suggestions?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Stop being a phone janitor sperg lord. Pick a phone and use it.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Jose Oquendo posted:

For real, jfc :psyduck:

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Jose Oquendo posted:

I do iOS and Android development, so no.

Even if I chose Android, I can't get Apple to release my phone number from iMessage.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Oops, nothing to see here.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Super Dude posted:

My work gave me an iphone 6s for free, so I figured I would give it a shot. I normally swap between my 5S and Nexus 6P, so I leave iMessage off. I've had such horrible experiences with iMessage getting activated on my phone number, and then I need to tell everyone who sent me a message to delete it and start a new conversation once I unregister my number/turn off iMessage. In an effort to avoid going through all of that again, I went into the Apple store before I activated the phone. The Genius there assured me iMessage wouldn't be activated since I was using my 5S backup. Of course that was complete bullshit, because a minute after I turned on the phone, I received an iMessage. He tried turning it off on the phone, as well as unregistering my number on the website they provide. Neither worked, and now I seem to be stuck. Anyone have any suggestions?

You sign out of iMessage, then turn off iMessage, then Text STOP to 48369 to turn off iMessage.

This was an issue, but I haven't seen it with people switching platforms for a year or so now.

Also, breathe dude.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Super Dude posted:

The Genius there assured me iMessage wouldn't be activated since I was using my 5S backup.

The Genius was correct, assuming you don't then absently blow through the "Would you like iMessage? It's super cool!" screen during setup.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Super Dude posted:

I do iOS and Android development, so no.

Even if I chose Android, I can't get Apple to release my phone number from iMessage.

Spend $10/m on a second sim card for your secondary dev phone. You would save a lot of loving time and headache.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Tempted on this 9.3 Public beta. Anyone who has familiarity with these... do they "break" lots of apps and games and stuff? Have lots of problems?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Feenix posted:

Tempted on this 9.3 Public beta. Anyone who has familiarity with these... do they "break" lots of apps and games and stuff? Have lots of problems?

I rolled the dice on the dev beta, and so far, stuff is working. Battery is normal. YMMV may vary and subsequent betas could be terrible.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Point release betas are generally pretty stable and it's really unlikely it'll break any apps. It's not a major release.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
I've been on the public beta channel since it was released and have never had any issues outside of a few apps crashing. They generally push to people on the dev beta a few days before and then patch (see the 9.3.1 update that got pushed to devs today fixing an install issue) and push to the public beta if all is good.

As long as you aren't my mom, you should probably be fine with the public betas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
what if i am your mother