Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Brothers in Arms is so loving good.
That song actually made me buy the soundtrack. And I'd literally never bought a film score album prior to that.

But then, most of the time I barely even take notice of the music in a film, barring unusually memorable pieces like, I don't know, many of the themes in LotR. Fury Road totally nailed it all, though; it's not only really good stuff in general, virtually every single track brings back to mind the exact corresponding scene in the film. Which makes, say, "Walhalla Awaits" a risky listen because there's quite a bit of emotion attached to it. And that, in turn, is another thing you wouldn't ordinarily expect from a film that could be summed up as a two-hour post-apocalyptic car chase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Theron got snubbed at the Golden Globes, the SAGs, and now the Oscars, in favor of Jennifer Lawrence in O. Russell's worst movie since I Heart Huckabees

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This isn't specific to Fury Road, but one thing that watched a bunch of older films recently has made really apparent is how much the soundtrack of modern films is cued to the visuals. Sometimes this is great, like in Fury Road, but in a lot of other mainstream action films, it's too much. Like every action that happens on screen has a perfectly synchronized musical cue.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Forgot to post this, don't believe everything you read on the internet

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/647505-george-miller-will-direct-more-mad-max-movies-eventually#/slide/1

quote:

A big stink was made two days ago over an interview Mad Max: Fury Road director George Miller gave in which he was quoted as saying that he won’t make more Mad Max movies. Now that the dust has settled and the Australian filmmaker has two more Oscar nominations under his belt for the film (Best Picture, Best Director; the film itself received 10 total), he’s spoken to TheWrap and clarified the previous statement, which was in fact a misquote.

“That was a completely garbled interview. I was in New York and it was so noisy and the journalist was asking me questions on a red carpet at the National Board of Review,” he said. “She completely got the wrong fragments of information that were just not true. I said no, [another ‘Mad Max’ movie] will not be next, and she took that to mean I never wanted to make another ‘Mad Max.’ It won’t necessarily be next, but I have two more stories.”

That jibes with a statement Miller made to Studio 360 a few days ago, where he seemed open to the possibility of doing more himself.

“What happened to Max after ‘Fury Road’? What happened before ‘Fury Road’? What happened to the other characters?” Miller said. “Those stories are there — probably not as the next film but the film after. I’d like to do one of them. We’ll see. As John Lennon said, life is what happens when you’re making other plans. There are so many other directors out there. People are directing younger and younger. They’re getting a real sense of cinema very, very early. There are some great directors out there.”

Despite rumors that Warner Bros. offered Miller a stab at a Man of Steel sequel, the Australian is apparently going much smaller for his mysterious next directorial outing.

“I’ve got something a bit smaller before we go back out into the wasteland — something that’s contemporary that we can get through fairly quickly,” said Miller to Entertainment Weekly last week. “And something with not too much technical difficulty. Something more performance-based and so on, just to clear the exhaust.”

Of course, these are still early days on the Mad Max 5 and 6 front, although with Blu-ray/DVD sales going through the roof, it seems like only a matter of time before Tom Hardy slaps on the leather jacket again to meet the challenges a post-apocalyptic landscape has to offer. All we know right now is Charlize Theron’s Furiosa is not expected to play a central role. Even the proposed title Miller previously revealed for the next movie, “Mad Max: The Wasteland,” is also apparently in flux.

Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/647505-george-miller-will-direct-more-mad-max-movies-eventually#s6aKE2al25exzSTj.99

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Fury Road won't win because the academy is a dumpster.

But, hot drat, another Mad Max by Miller might happen!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

This is a complete list of every actor who's actually Australian:

* Immortan Joe

Nope, British, moved to Australia in his mid-20s. I'm pretty sure Toecutter in the first film has a British accent (or at least a classy mid-century Australian-trying-to-be-British accent).

Organic Mechanic is by far the most Australian character. I love his nonchalant "Righto" when told to strap the blood bag up to the front of the car.

Snak posted:

This isn't specific to Fury Road, but one thing that watched a bunch of older films recently has made really apparent is how much the soundtrack of modern films is cued to the visuals. Sometimes this is great, like in Fury Road, but in a lot of other mainstream action films, it's too much. Like every action that happens on screen has a perfectly synchronized musical cue.

I think it was when I was watching Citizen Kane (or maybe something else from the '40s or '50s) when I realised how jarringly inappropriate so much of the soundtrack is for old films; as though the director and the soundtrack guy weren't in communication at all. And then I realised that was probably a hangover from the days when films were silent and there was an actual band or orchestra present in the theatre, and the conductor would just play what he felt like.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I really hope that the only recurring character in 5 or 6 is Max. Yes I love Furiosa and the wives and Nux and everyone at the citadel but they're story is neat and closed. The only way to continue it would be to drag the Citadel into chaos which would kill the feel good ambiguity of the ending of fury road. Now, if any of them show up in a minor side role thats fine. You can show that things at the Citadel worked out without actually going into details which would ruin it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Just give Furiosa a spin-off. There's enough love for the character to warrant it and it keeps her out of future Max sequels. If it does poorly it'll dim the desire to have her to appear in more MM movies.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Honestly he should have won in 1995 for Babe, along with that being best picture instead of the baby boomer wank fest forest gump.

Chris Noonan directed Babe.

Also Forrest Gump came out the year before Babe. Braveheart, directed by some guy named Mel Gibson, won Best Picture and Best Director the year Babe ran.

Corek fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 14, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

freebooter posted:

Nope, British, moved to Australia in his mid-20s. I'm pretty sure Toecutter in the first film has a British accent (or at least a classy mid-century Australian-trying-to-be-British accent).

Organic Mechanic is by far the most Australian character. I love his nonchalant "Righto" when told to strap the blood bag up to the front of the car.

I think it was when I was watching Citizen Kane (or maybe something else from the '40s or '50s) when I realised how jarringly inappropriate so much of the soundtrack is for old films; as though the director and the soundtrack guy weren't in communication at all. And then I realised that was probably a hangover from the days when films were silent and there was an actual band or orchestra present in the theatre, and the conductor would just play what he felt like.

Yeah, a lot of "really" old films are like that, but then there's a sweet spot where films have some good audio cue synchronization but it's still the resullt of good editing or composing specifically for scenes. I think that now that digical editing technology is the way it is, it's so easy to directly coordinate these things that it's kind of over-done. I mean, it's cool that it can be done, but in some films it feels like it's not really music, so much as audio emphasis of visual action, which is kind of different from how music makes a person feel.

There was a part in The Hateful Eight that did a really cool synchronization. Ultimately, like any artists tool, it's value is in how talented artists use it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Charlize Theron not getting a best actress nod is a shame.

She did a great job, but there wasn't a lot of range required for the role. She basically had to be bald, look angry and not say a lot. So it's understanding she didn't get nominated IMO.

I would think it has a good shot for cinematography. Some of those sweeping overhead shots of the vehicles were really cool especially being that the CGI was limited.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

M_Gargantua posted:

I really hope that the only recurring character in 5 or 6 is Max. Yes I love Furiosa and the wives and Nux and everyone at the citadel but they're story is neat and closed. The only way to continue it would be to drag the Citadel into chaos which would kill the feel good ambiguity of the ending of fury road. Now, if any of them show up in a minor side role thats fine. You can show that things at the Citadel worked out without actually going into details which would ruin it.

Have the Doof Warrior show up playing metal for food.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I might be talking out of my arse here, but I remember hearing somewhere that they did a lot of CGI touch ups on the actors' faces to make their expression pop that little bit more, even going so far as to replace the eyes in some shots. I'm not sure if the movie was Fury Road or some other blockbuster though.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 14, 2016

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

They did enhance the eyes at some points, to make them stand out a little more where they otherwise would have been sort of underexposed due to the shadow of the brow. There was a link I thought I'd bookmarked about this, but I cannot find it now.

Best example I can remember is the scene when Nux drives up next to the rig with Max still crucified on front, and Furiosa and Max make eye contact, although there were a few others.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
You're thinking of this post maybe?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Absolutely, that one! Thank you.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
One thing that always stands out is how the color correction always highlighted the red. Of the Blood, of Capables hair, the flare, the fires, etc. Even in the night scenes. It just always sits with me as a small thing I love.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

freebooter posted:

Toecutter's accent wanders all over. If I remember rightly Hugh Keays-Byrne tried to do a different accent in each scene deliberately, to try and make Toecutter seem more unhinged and weird.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

M_Gargantua posted:

One thing that always stands out is how the color correction always highlighted the red. Of the Blood, of Capables hair, the flare, the fires, etc. Even in the night scenes. It just always sits with me as a small thing I love.

The color might be one of the best parts of the film. Given the option to make yet another dreary post-apocalyptic desert, Miller chose to make every single color the brightest and most beautiful that technology could make.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

High Warlord Zog posted:

I might be talking out of my arse here, but I remember hearing somewhere that they did a lot of CGI touch ups on the actors' faces to make their expression pop that little bit more, even going so far as to replace the eyes in some shots. I'm not sure if the movie was Fury Road or some other blockbuster though.

Pretty sure Nick Hoult's eyes aren't actually glow-in-the-dark blue*, lol.

*I could be wrong about this

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Astrofig posted:

Pretty sure Nick Hoult's eyes aren't actually glow-in-the-dark blue*, lol.

*I could be wrong about this

A google image search indicates they are rather blue, but it is possible that they were zhoosh'd up for the film.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

freebooter posted:

Sin City is a fun one for this. For the first two chapters, the soundtrack blends in nicely, and then in That Yellow Bastard it suddenly jumps to the front and it's like they brought in Danny Elfman for that bit. (It's actually the chapter scored by Rodriguez himself.)

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

MrMojok posted:

They did enhance the eyes at some points, to make them stand out a little more where they otherwise would have been sort of underexposed due to the shadow of the brow. There was a link I thought I'd bookmarked about this, but I cannot find it now.

Best example I can remember is the scene when Nux drives up next to the rig with Max still crucified on front, and Furiosa and Max make eye contact, although there were a few others.

This is very, very common - almost ubiquitous in glamour commercials, a bit less so in film. They did take it a bit further than usual, though, to good effect I think.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I really can't decide if Fury Road or Hateful 8 should get the Best Soundtrack prize. They're both amazing in very different ways.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

MonsieurChoc posted:

I really can't decide if Fury Road or Hateful 8 should get the Best Soundtrack prize. They're both amazing in very different ways.

If it makes it any easier, Fury Road wasn't nominated.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

TerminalSaint posted:

If it makes it any easier, Fury Road wasn't nominated.

Not really: who should win has often little to do with who is actually nominated and eventually wins.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Was watching Top Gear last night and felt more and more like while god knows Clarkson, May and Hammond aren't actors, they deserve a cameo of some sort. It helped my impression along immensely that it was the one where they cross some African salt flats in cars stripped to the bare frame, that Clarkson kept finding cow skulls and strapping them to his hood and referred to himself as "Mad Jeremy", and that the vice president of Botswana paid them a visit with an entourage of ATVs and a motorized hangglider. I'm picturing a vehicle that's carrying a chintz sofa for no good reason and goes violently and immediately off course and over a cliff as soon as it gets involved in any serious action. Also, "the Pedantic Mechanic."

Seriously though I feel like aerial vehicles are kind of an unexplored direction here.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Top gear is really bad, unlike Mad Max.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

My Lovely Horse posted:

Also, "the Pedantic Mechanic."

Hello new username!

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

M_Gargantua posted:

Let's hope Miller sticks around for at least another decade because if anyone but him is in charge of this franchise then get ready for a Furiosa origin story and a Doof Warrior standalone movie.

Also the Splendid Anghara's baby actually survived off-screen and now he's grown up and he carries around the burnt mask of Immortan Joe, which he worships, and he wants revenge on Furiosa and Max!

And this is the new War Rig:

And the Vuvalini have been re-imagined:

MonsieurChoc posted:

Listening to the Fury Road soundtrack while driving should be treated as the equivalent of two drinks -- three if it's Brothers in Arms. That poo poo is dangerous.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Helsing posted:

Listening to the Fury Road soundtrack while driving should be treated as the equivalent of two drinks -- three if it's Brothers in Arms. That poo poo is dangerous.

I honestly cannot wait until I have a motorbike again so I can crank that poo poo on my headphones while overtaking trucks on the West Gate Bridge.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I actually would be completely OK with some kind of mega-miner motor vehicle appearing in a Mad Max film, but it'd obviously have to be the centerpiece if it was mobile. Do they have them in Australia at all?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Nessus posted:

I actually would be completely OK with some kind of mega-miner motor vehicle appearing in a Mad Max film, but it'd obviously have to be the centerpiece if it was mobile. Do they have them in Australia at all?

Australia is one giant mine, we've got shitloads of massive digging machines.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Australia is one giant mine, we've got shitloads of massive digging machines.

That's also a whole other Australian post-apocalypse movie as well...

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Helsing posted:

Let's hope Miller sticks around for at least another decade because if anyone but him is in charge of this franchise then get ready for a Furiosa origin story

Uh, not to rain on your parade but that's actually one of the rumored movies Miller has planned.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

If Miller does it everything is fine. Miller is the man who broke the 15+ year pattern of Hollywood ham-fistedly resurrecting long-dead franchises from our youth.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

freebooter posted:

If Miller does it everything is fine. Miller is the man who broke the 15+ year pattern of Hollywood ham-fistedly resurrecting long-dead franchises from our youth.

I was thinking about this and is Miller the only director who's rebooted/resurrected his own franchise decades later?

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I was thinking about this and is Miller the only director who's rebooted/resurrected his own franchise decades later?

The only one that came to mind for me was Wes Craven. He wrote and directed the first Nightmare on Elm Street in '84, and then wrote and directed New Nightmare in '94.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Ridley Scott is trying to do something similar with Prometheus/Alien: Covenant and Blade Runner 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Didn't George Lucas make some more Star Warses in the late nineties or something?

• Locked thread