Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

seravid posted:

Still haven't found anything better than Gorgotha, Keeper of Souls, Alchemist, Green Slime. No bonuses at all, but it's very fast and lucrative. Do a little prep work with Al and Slime so Keeper can transform pretty much the entire board into skulls. He'll one-shot anyone and, after you've exhausted the 4- and 5- matches - assuming anyone is still standing - just have Gorgotha explode the board to clear any stray skulls (18 damage is the best I've got so far) and provide gems to get the cycle going again.

I like Green Slime/Green Seer/Goblin Shaman/Keeper of Souls. Use Goblin Shaman to put some Green orbs on the board, then use Green Seer to create 4-5 orb Green combos to power up the Green Slime, then use the Slime to convert those Green orbs to Purple (powering up Seer, Shaman, and Keeper in the process). Repeat until the Slime's Attack is high enough, then use Keeper's skill to deal massive damage.

And as a nice side bonus, Green Seer also entangles enemy troops, so if your opponent happens to get a turn, there's not much they can actually do with it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

DaveWoo posted:

I like Green Slime/Green Seer/Goblin Shaman/Keeper of Souls. Use Goblin Shaman to put some Green orbs on the board, then use Green Seer to create 4-5 orb Green combos to power up the Green Slime, then use the Slime to convert those Green orbs to Purple (powering up Seer, Shaman, and Keeper in the process). Repeat until the Slime's Attack is high enough, then use Keeper's skill to deal massive damage.

And as a nice side bonus, Green Seer also entangles enemy troops, so if your opponent happens to get a turn, there's not much they can actually do with it. :v:

I've run against this team with maxed out traits a few times and I absolutely hate it.

Also, for the second time my consecutive login bonus has reset without me actually missing a day. :(

And :laffo: at more Goblin hate. That new dude isn't even going to make me sweat unless they have the third trait.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

DaveWoo posted:

I like this but, with so many kingdoms to upgrade, losing Alchemist and his 25% gold bonus would be rough. Still gonna try it, though, if I have enough souls to level Seer and Shaman.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Wuntvor posted:

Sooner or later I'd do a team around Alchemist/Valkyrie.. Gives you extra gold and souls, just combine them with some damage and go to town. I've gone through several variants so far, starting with a druid and some weapon and then varying it more and more as I unlocked more stuff. At first I only used it on challenges and quests to make up for the gold costs, but my current iteration actually works well enough that I use it for PVP, too. Currently going Boar Rider/Anointed One (blue/red, turning greens to health/attack)/Alchemist/Valkyrie. With these, once I get going, I seldom even have to stop, it's just so ridiculously easy to clear the whole field. And after 1-2 uses, Anointed One gets ridiculously tanky and just oneshots people.

Problem with all these "+x" skills is that they take quite some time to actually get going. +Attack is actually worst in this, as you are only using one guy's attack at a time. Unless you have some disposable tanky units in the first slots, you will be probably be down enough troops to not make it worthwhile anymore, especially since you still have to get those skulls. Skeleton can be nice for that, of course, but I think it actually overlaps with Luther (don't really remember his color).

I'm not really a pro though. :)

Are the +gold guys actually good, then? I saw "turns yellows into gold" or whatever and figured it gave 1 gold per yellow mana, which seemed worthless.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Anonymous Robot posted:

Are the +gold guys actually good, then? I saw "turns yellows into gold" or whatever and figured it gave 1 gold per yellow mana, which seemed worthless.

Alchemist's first trait increases the amount of gold you get for the battle by 25%. So theoretically your PVP gold would get a decent boost.

My gold multiplier is already 2.35 so an extra .25 isn't really worth it to me with how much less speed and reliability there is in PVP with an Alchemist team.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
There's a cap on how much gold the Alchemist or Greed trait can generate. But the Alchemist can get a +25% gold trait as well. Which can be pretty sizeable in pvp.

I finally pulled a Hobgoblin from a glory chest.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
Lately I've been using:

Abhorath (1 trait)
Valkyrie (3 traits)
Green Slime (1 trait)
Keeper of Souls (1 trait)

Even without the traits the team was doing really well. With the traits, the team is destroying pretty much everything, and the soul bonuses from Valk and Keeper are awesome.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I tried this

DaveWoo posted:

I like Green Slime/Green Seer/Goblin Shaman/Keeper of Souls.

and it is pretty fun, but it depends entirely too much on Slime. If he's gone, the team's broken: you're down from five gem colors to just three; Keeper stands as the sole damage dealer, yet unable to do so without first filling up the other two characters above him since they all consume the same gems. When it works, it works, but you only need a couple unlucky skull matches to lose Slime and make the game last ten gruesome minutes.

Back to the dream team. All six gems are used, losing the first guy is no big deal (though at 34 combined hp, it doesn't happen often) and games rarely go past four minutes.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

Anonymous Robot posted:

I think Alchemist is the only one who is actually worthwhile, mainly because his ability is very useful even if you take away the bonus gold as it makes it very easy to get at least a 4-match if not more. As I said, I was mainly using it for challenges/quests, I am not saying it is better at pvp than the goblin team but it's definitely still useful.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I'm jealous of you folks with Keeper of Souls. I would say it is one of the top 10 troops. I hate facing teams with KoS, Bone Dragon, or Sheggra. Skulls everywhere. Wish I could pull one of those from a chest.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Been playing since August and I still only have 8 legendaries - 2 of them are seasonal imps - so there's that.

KoS is definitely my main guy. I'm actually surprised he hasn't been nerfed yet (though how would you do that?), especially since Green Slime's introduction made racking up multi kills so easy.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
I made an all Giant team that works ok. But drat am I used to having Gob's with multiple turns. I also went to the arena to get some souls to upgrade some of the giants, and learned two things. The arena can be pretty slow and grindy, and the prismatic orb is not all that great.

I'm going to keep the Giants around and upgraded, just for the Marauder bonus with the Event dude, so when I see an all Gob team coming my way, POW right in the kisser.

Back to the Gobs and PvP for me. (Goblin, Boar Rider, Shaman, Goblin Rocket).

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
how do you get orange quality dudes? I've only gotten purps, but I'll run into these 4 dragon teams or porphyoros or whatever the fire guy is that makes a hundred million red and yellow gems and I am jealous.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Sigma-X posted:

how do you get orange quality dudes? I've only gotten purps, but I'll run into these 4 dragon teams or porphyoros or whatever the fire guy is that makes a hundred million red and yellow gems and I am jealous.

It's pretty much just luck. Though I think there's a good legendary (Sheggra) in this week's event key chest, so if you've got some of those keys sitting around it'd be worth a shot. I wouldn't recommend buying an event key though.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Full epic goblin teams are disgusting. Had one in my revenge list, so I gave it a shot with my goblin team. But with everyone at 20+ attack, the smallest stroke of bad luck means doom. And I had a lot of bad luck.

I hope I win the Power Ball so I can spend hundreds of dollars on this game, too!

Pointsman
Oct 9, 2010

If you see me posting about fitness
ASK ME HOW MY HELLRAISER TRAINING IS GOING
Got my first legendary, Crimson Bat.
Seems good? Still having a blast running X/Alchemist/Goblin Rocket/Goblin Rocket though.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Pointsman posted:

Got my first legendary, Crimson Bat.
Seems good? Still having a blast running X/Alchemist/Goblin Rocket/Goblin Rocket though.

Crimson bat is top tier.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I've been playing this game for a long time and my legendary pulls are:

3x Goblin King
4x Jarl Firemane
1x Keeper of Souls

Unfortunately those duplicates were from before they announced combining so they were turned to souls. :(

I'm always kind of amazed when I see teams with multiple legendary dudes because they seem really drat rare.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

Jibo posted:

I've been playing this game for a long time and my legendary pulls are:

3x Goblin King
4x Jarl Firemane
1x Keeper of Souls

Unfortunately those duplicates were from before they announced combining so they were turned to souls. :(

I'm always kind of amazed when I see teams with multiple legendary dudes because they seem really drat rare.

I play a ton and I have 10 of the Legendaries. I don't run any teams with them.

I basically have two teams these days:
Gob rule: Goblin, Goblin Shaman, Boar Rider and Summoner
Money: Hero with blue, Alchemist, Valkyrie and Banshee

The first is for PvP and the second I'm using to clear out the remaining challenges to get as many quick souls as I can.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I think the most successful non-goblin team I've run across in PvP was skeleton, green slime, skeleton, giant spider. It's not too bad if you can keep them off purple, but one mistake and you're toast. Someone also had fully traited golem in slot 1, and that thing is annoying as gently caress to deal with.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
That is a fairly strong team but still does not compare to the bullshit that is a centaur scout, skull generator, and generator feeder team. True Shot making skulls ignore armor and Agile dodging 30% of skull matches is ridiculous.

I have a team named "Traits are OP" that is centaur scout, golem, skeleton, giant spider. Purple banner and giant spider's first trait makes a mana surge on a purple match fill up the skeleton. If the centaur dies, the golem tanks forever, giving the skeleton time to buff up its attack until it can one-shot anything. I think I got a skeleton up to 78 attack one game against a fully traited dragon team where three of the dragons had Agile.

RussianBear
Sep 14, 2003

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds
Traits are really frustrating. I finally got a Centaur Scout with Agile, but it feels like my Agile never works while my opponent's Agile works three or four times in a row. I know it's probably just recall bias, but still. It makes the game feel less fun. Does the AI combo breaker work on traits?

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
Wow, just noticed that if you use three troops in arena which are fully leveled, you can buy them for 1 gem? That sounds pretty good to pick up additional copies.. I think it's only if you've leveled all of them higher than level 15, but I'm not sure. Worked two times, at least, although I guess it's probably more an oversight on their part than intended behaviour.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Good to know, but my list of leveled troops is pretty small.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Wuntvor posted:

Wow, just noticed that if you use three troops in arena which are fully leveled, you can buy them for 1 gem? That sounds pretty good to pick up additional copies.. I think it's only if you've leveled all of them higher than level 15, but I'm not sure. Worked two times, at least, although I guess it's probably more an oversight on their part than intended behaviour.

It is intended behaviour, and has been the case for many months. It's come up in the thread three times now that I can remember.

I think you only need level 15 to get the 1-gem offer, not 16+.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

Grundulum posted:

It is intended behaviour, and has been the case for many months. It's come up in the thread three times now that I can remember.

That's neat. I guess that's a reason to play arena again.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

Grundulum posted:

Oh, alright, thanks... A somewhat up-to-date OP would be really nice to find stuff like this. ;)

It just seemed so absurd compared to the prices you pay even if you already have the cards at lower levels that I could not believe it was on purpose.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I suspect the devs have forgotten about it - it wasn't a problem before because having duplicate cards didn't used to be an advantage. It'll probably go away once they get through their current list of bugs (or never, in other words).

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Gem Blossums has ten members who've been away for more than two weeks, most of them more than a month. How's Gem Boiz doing? Maybe we should consolidate.

Also, I'd like to thank all the heroes still completing guild tasks. I'm just finishing up Darkstone but as soon as that's done, I'll start contributing again.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Gem Boiz is at 28 members, and no one is more than 6 days inactive at this point.

I've only got 5 Kingdoms left to level up then it's full time guild tasks.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Just picked up a Hydra today, my first legendary card. It seems kind of underwhelming? At level one it has 5 attack, 1 armor and 7 health- decent stats for sure. It's red/blue, and its ability is "deal 6 damage split randomly among all enemies, boosted by my missing life". Seems a bit anemic for a legendary? The level 2 trait is Jinx (halve all enemy gem masteries) which is nice, but I'm unlikely to unlock it any time soon. I could see it being okay if you pumped its base life value real high, I guess.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

seravid posted:

Gem Blossums has ten members who've been away for more than two weeks, most of them more than a month. How's Gem Boiz doing? Maybe we should consolidate.

Also, I'd like to thank all the heroes still completing guild tasks. I'm just finishing up Darkstone but as soon as that's done, I'll start contributing again.
Sorry about that, I kept thinking I would get around to it but didn't. Never really got a good team and now the arenas are kind of trash. So you can give me the boot and I'll bother whoever again when I get the urge to play some more.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

CrashCat posted:

Sorry about that, I kept thinking I would get around to it but didn't. Never really got a good team and now the arenas are kind of trash. So you can give me the boot and I'll bother whoever again when I get the urge to play some more.

Nah, don't worry about it. Since the other guild is full and we haven't got any new recruits, there's no need to boot anyone.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Bandire posted:

Gem Boiz is at 28 members, and no one is more than 6 days inactive at this point.

I've only got 5 Kingdoms left to level up then it's full time guild tasks.

Yeah I did a cleanup on Monday and there were two people with more than 20 days of inactivity but everyone else was within a few days of last battle so Gem Boiz is still going pretty strong.

I'm working 72 hour weeks all this month so I'm not going to be on top of things but two slots should last us at least that long.

Being able to buy dudes for 1 gem at the end of Arena if you have them all leveled is the best. Arena is my favorite thing in this game but there hasn't been a reason to do it before. It's going to take a long time but team Goblin is going to get a lot better.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
I've been using the same crappy team for a while now, Hero, Ferit, Ranger, and Druid but for whatever reason it works. Yesterday when I looked I had 15 defense victories and 2 defeats.
Unsurprisingly both defeats were from goblin teams. I barely look at my revenge tab anymore because it's 99% goblin teams that take twice the effort to beat.

the auschwitz diet
Mar 19, 2004
I toast mine own alcoholism
Can BUTT JOURNEY get an invite somewhere?

Thanks!

the auschwitz diet fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 15, 2016

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

the auschwitz diet posted:

Invited to Gem Boiz.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

the auschwitz diet posted:

Invited to Gem Boiz.

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

friendly and non-threatening

Bleak Gremlin
Would like an invite for KROLM as well, I seem to be the only one trying to do tasks in this pub guild :(

Having a lot of success with this team in PVP:

Hero (green weapon)
Crimson Bat
Wolf Knight
Psion

So many teams focus on armor; this way you have true damage on 3/4 and the psion keeps the mana reserves low for the enemy team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Did they change how long you get to deal with invasions? I just had three revenges disappear on me, and I know that one of them was less than three hours old.