Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

ijyt posted:

What the gently caress is a cube

480 magic cards hand selected by a single person or a group of people that they use to play a format based around correctly making choices and balancing risks versus rewards.

Basically it makes deck building into a Eurogame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

El Estrago Bonito posted:

480 magic cards hand selected by a single person or a group of people that they use to play a format based around correctly making choices and balancing risks versus rewards.

Basically it makes deck building into a Eurogame.

That legit sounds like a fun way to play magic. What kind of buy-in is it to get the card normally, though? I remember that an MtG deck used to (circa 2000-5) be around the same cost as a WFB army, so $300-500 a deck. While I'm sure it hasn't kept up with the awful GW inflation, I'm sure it's gone up. I guess what I'm asking is, is getting a cube a 4 digit investment or just a 3 digit one?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

rkajdi posted:

That legit sounds like a fun way to play magic. What kind of buy-in is it to get the card normally, though? I remember that an MtG deck used to (circa 2000-5) be around the same cost as a WFB army, so $300-500 a deck. While I'm sure it hasn't kept up with the awful GW inflation, I'm sure it's gone up. I guess what I'm asking is, is getting a cube a 4 digit investment or just a 3 digit one?

I guess you could make a cube out just out of common cards, and back when I played M:tG (Ice-Age to Tempest) you could pretty much get commons for free from the whales who had tons of extra copies.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Apollodorus posted:

After all this MtG discussion I just want to say that I am so so so so glad that the only game I play competitively these days is rugby. Where there is a legitimate World Cup for which 80,000+ people show up to watch the final in person and hundreds of millions watch it on TV and even if I play for a mediocre team at the 3rd division of a mediocre country then I can still go to bed happy because at the end of the day the rules of the game mean I can grab my opponent and slam him into the loving ground and if I fail to do so it's because he was stronger on the day and not because he could afford to buy xyz plastic space mans or cardboard wizards.

I use to play rugby in highschool, college, and after. 15s, 7s, it was great. Then I got old, and now I drown in plastic mans. You, too, will come full circle.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

lilljonas posted:

I guess you could make a cube out just out of common cards, and back when I played M:tG (Ice-Age to Tempest) you could pretty much get commons for free from the whales who had tons of extra copies.

Basically this, there are cubes that cost a couple dollars and there are ones that cost thousands. Pauper cube is certainly a thing and there is a popular variant that's played with only the worst rare cards ever called Reject Rare that can be maddening but sometimes fun. The thing about a cube is that the internal balance is relative. You don't have to worry about better cards existing because the cube exists in a void where only the cards inside it interact with one another. So if you build a cube out of older cards or lovely cards you can make a cube that internally very balanced even if its constituent parts aren't good cards or would normally be considered sub-par/redundant (IE if Fireball/Kaervek's Torch/etc isn't in the cube then Blaze is a viable card because it isn't eclipsed by the half a dozen better versions of pay X for damage that have come out since then).

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Spiderdrake posted:

Assuming you know nothing about Magic here's the long-winded explanation. Magic is sold in booster packs, ok, which you probably know.

One of the most popular forms of Magic is referred to as limited, where you assemble a deck by drafting packs. There's a couple different ways to draft, but basically you crack a pack, take a card and pass the card to the other players in the draft. You end up with (usually) 42 cards from three packs, from which you use 21-24 with basic land to make a deck. This allows you to play with more of the cards and actually use them, and open boosters, which is a gambling.

What cube is, instead, is pre-assembling a collection of cards (the cube itself), forming boosters from them at random and then sitting down to draft those packs. What this allows you to do is play with the cards or themes you like, tailoring the environment around what your playgroup considers a good time. It's also really cost effective, though it does lack gambling, unless you gamble while cubing which works too.

It was originally called "cubing" due to a geometry or math joke or some nerd poo poo I forget about.

That's lame. i thought the dude meant actually stacking cards together and coating them with wood glue or something to make an actual cube.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

boom boom boom posted:

That's lame. i thought the dude meant actually stacking cards together and coating them with wood glue or something to make an actual cube.

People do fold the cards to make some sort of weird looking hyper cube. I've seen it done before and displayed in at least 2 stores. Wish I knew the proper geometric term but it looks neat.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
A cube lets you spend a command token to reroll a Doctor roll to bring your catgirl doctor back from unconsciousness, except the catgirl doctor doesn't have a cube, but that's the only model anyone who doesn't play Infinity recognizes, so gently caress.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

That's not fair, we also recognize the chick in an inexplicable miniskirt and bellytop amid the other commandos.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Night10194 posted:

Are you a professional rugby player? I'm genuinely curious and know nothing about the sport.

No, rugby is just a hobby that I do for fun and as extra motivation to stay in shape. Much like Warhammer, the rules are complicated and made up by British people, however the buy-in is much lower and it's more acceptable to hit your opponents if they try to break the rules. Or just hit them.

Here's a game from the last world cup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIXcEWrGtsM

Also, if WotC reprinted all the power nine as commons, I would be overjoyed. Not because I would buy any, but because of the resulting shitstorm.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Got a bit of money lately so went down to my FLGS to pick up the Calth set, luckily they didn't have any, saving me from myself.
They did however have about two dozen boxes of age of sigmar in a big pile and one guy in a group of 40k players trying to convince them to collect it with him. They were arguing that 10 marines will beat 10 guard every time and he was arguing that nobody plays warhammer to win and if they do theyr bad people.

Also I held a stormfront eternal and theyr really light, must be new plastic or something but it felt like a cheap recast or what I imagine those feel like.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This is cool as hell and I think I'm gonna start watching rugby, now. Thanks, Death Thread, for introducing me to an angry British sport.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Saint Drogo posted:

Man at least star wars derails can be loving deciphered by semi normal people.

It's not so complex, although I probably could have organized my thoughts better: I like playing games with fun people, and my experiences with MtG have been really bad in that regard, worse even than Warhammer. My theory is that the rules of these games encourage bad behaviors in the playerbase, since some games seem to fare much better. The Dark Age community seems pleasant overall, although granted I've only interacted with them on forums so far. This thread has also had good things to say about their local X Wing communities, but I'm just not that interested in that game because I really like building models.

My limited experience with MtG suggests that one of the issues is the presence of "gambling" aspects in the game, but I'll admit that that was a long time ago and we were in middle school, so it might not be a representative sample. However, that same group was super fun to play D&D with, so it's easy for me to blame MtG (or maybe it's just because we were all a year older). Warhammer's rules cause problems for a different reason: they're so poorly-written and balanced that they encourage arguments and bad feelings (hence the demonization of "WAAC" players).

Those experiences mean I care about the social acceptability of a game because I'd rather play with friends; at least I know they're fun to be around. If my social circle finds a game unacceptable (for whatever reason, justified or not), that just means I don't get to play it. Since I haven't found a game store whose players I really like, that's not a viable option for me. Maybe I've just had lovely luck and there's actually a group of great players in your community, but it's pretty discouraging when all I want to do is have a good time with cool people. Some games might have good communities, but I've struggled to find one that I have any interest in and that has an active (and friendly!) playerbase near me.

I could go on about specific horror stories I've seen, but I'm sure everyone has stories like that, so it wouldn't be adding much to the discussion. However, those experiences (and the frequency with which they happen) just remind me I could spend my time on one of my other social interests that I've had better luck with. At least the boom in new games coming out gives me hope that one of them will hit it big and build a community of folks I'd enjoy being around.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 14, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Night10194 posted:

This is cool as hell and I think I'm gonna start watching rugby, now. Thanks, Death Thread, for introducing me to an angry British sport.

Where American Football is 3 hours of watching for 14 minutes of actual play, Rugby Union is 120 minutes of watching for 80 minutes of actual play, including the 12 minute half time break. A good game is compelling viewing, there's no switching of lines or taking a knee or time outs, the only stopping and starting is for penalties or out of bounds - which are usually restarted fairly quickly with a line-out or a scrum.

Also, the interaction between ref and players in Rugby Union is a thing to behold all on its own.

The Saffers losing to Japan was a hilarious result though.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 14, 2016

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

NTRabbit posted:

Where American Football is 3 hours of watching for 14 minutes of actual play, Rugby Union is 120 minutes of watching for 90 minutes of actual play, including the 12 minute half time break. A good game is compelling viewing, there's no switching of lines or taking a knee or time outs, the only stopping and starting is for penalties or out of bounds - which are usually restarted fairly quickly with a line-out or a scrum.

Also, the interaction between ref and players in Rugby Union is a thing to behold all on its own.

The Saffers losing to Japan was a hilarious result though.

lol

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

NTRabbit posted:

Please post the video compilation of the famous ref that talks to players lik the schoolchildren.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Avenging Dentist posted:

but I'll admit that that was a long time ago and we were in middle school, so it might not be a representative sample

It's this. You thought Ante was still a thing. You're talking about "the Magic Community" but referring to teenagers you hung out with in the 1990s. Your opinion about the Magic community is - and I don't mean this as an insult, just a factual statement - completely worthless.

Magic absolutely exploded in popularity since then, the rules have changed significantly, it's far more mainstream (you can buy cards at Wal*Mart and Target, I've seen them at goddamn gas stations, there are televised events, etc.), and the community is wildly different. I'm not defending the community, mind you - it is what it is - but you maybe could consider not going on at length about your judgement of a community you admittedly have no knowledge or experience with at all.

e.
When someone says "social acceptability of a game" they're generally talking about how "society" in general "accepts" that game. E.g., the vast majority of Americans have actually heard of: Magic the Gathering, Dungeons and Dragons, and maaaaybe Settlers of Catan. Possibly also "Warhammer." And then literally none of the other games we play. Of those, probably Magic is near the top of the list in terms of "acceptability," e.g. you're less likely to be mocked or thought less-of if you admit to a room full of your normal, socially-well-adjusted co-workers that you play Magic sometimes. Settlers is a boardgame so it's lumped in by normal people with Monopoly and Checkers and they think it's fine. D&D and Warhammer are more nerdy and you're a nerd, but it's OK still. Maybe. Unless you seem to obsess about it. But your co-workers probably don't want to try Warhammer, and they might try D&D if they're pretty cool and relaxed but kind of keep it on the down-low and don't start trying to talk about your D&D campaign when you're hanging around with your other co-workers at the local bar.

Compared to any of those, though, the "social acceptability" of things like: watching sports, playing sports, being interested in cinema, playing or listening to music, drinking and partying, tinkering with cars, hiking, biking, and even a whole range of hobbies like astronomy, embroidery, stamp collecting, and gardening are all a whole lot higher. Literally nobody will think you're a nerd because you go hiking or play soccer on the weekends, but some percentage of the population is going to be less "accepting" when they know you, an adult, like to play make-believe or wizard poker or collect and play with toys.

So, perspective: Magic is at least as "socially acceptable" as any other trad game you can mention, and a lot more than most.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 14, 2016

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

krushgroove posted:

Please post the video compilation of the famous ref that talks to players lik the schoolchildren.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qmrnJbJUXA

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

It's this. You thought Ante was still a thing. You're talking about "the Magic Community" but referring to teenagers you hung out with in the 1990s. Your opinion about the Magic community is - and I don't mean this as an insult, just a factual statement - completely worthless.

If the people who I knew today who played Magic were friendly people, I'd probably have changed my mind since then. However, they're outright antisocial around here. I referenced my experience back in middle school because it was my most direct interaction with the rules and how they (especially the collectibility) made otherwise-pleasant people unfun to be around. I'm sure some of the problems I had were because we were 12 or so, but the game design didn't help, nor does it make the people who currently play Magic locally any funner to be around. If your local Magic community is full of friendly, sociable people, then I can see why you'd have fun with it. Mine isn't.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 14, 2016

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Night10194 posted:

You're welcome!

New Zealand is much better at rugby than anyone in Britain though. Maybe because GW products are so expensive there, I dunno.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Avenging Dentist posted:

If the people who I knew today who played Magic were friendly people, I'd probably have changed my mind since then. However, they're outright antisocial around here. I referenced my experience back in middle school because it was my most direct interaction with the rules and how they (especially the collectibility) made otherwise-pleasant people unfun to be around. I'm sure some of the problems I had were because we were 12 or so, but the game design didn't help, nor does it make the people who play Magic locally any funner to be around. If your local Magic community is full of friendly, sociable people, then I can see why you'd have fun with it. Mine isn't.

I edited in a bunch more but basically I think any local group can wind up being friendly or not friendly and I don't think a lot of it stems from the hobby or interest they're pursuing. I've met super-unfriendly groups of sports fans, autocross enthusiasts, and knitting groups, and also super-friendly biker gangs, barefoot hiking groups, and boardgame enthusiasts. Groups tend to develop self-reinforcing mini-societies, which can be insular and tribal or welcoming and casual or anything between.

More specifically, I know highly-competetive Magic guys who are super nice and welcoming and quite happy to play a casual game or teach someone new how to play, and I've also walked into a tabletop gaming session at a store that was so repugnant I had to leave within minutes.

Your local, personal experiences are anecdotal and shouldn't be used to tar the literally tens of millions of people who play Magic.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

It very much also depends on region and/or country to as to what level of nerdiness is considered "socially acceptable" or "mainstream". I moved to Germany from the midwestern United States and I gotta say on the whole, I think Germany is a bit more nerdy than the US in a lot of ways. Complicated board games are much more of a norm in everyday households and you can see the more popular stuff like Pandemic, 7 Wonders, etc. on sale even in normal department stores, and nobody in my circle of acquaintances and coworkers really bats an eye when a grown adult says that he has a regular boardgame night.

And when I lived in Berlin, there were literally no less than 5 shops within my little neighborhood that specialized solely in model trains. Holy poo poo Germans love their loving model trains.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

That's the guy!

Drone posted:

Holy poo poo Germans love their loving model trains.
Google is making a big deal of the Google Street view they did of a train setup in Hamburg, apparently it's the biggest train...thing in the world. I'm about to go to a trade show that's the biggest toy fair in the world, one huge hall is JUST trains. Really impressive setups, though.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

There's a guy in the hobby kit model thread posting pictures of his friend's current project, which is making a container ship and a LNG carrier to go with his model train setup in N scale - the ships are 8 feet long

Baronjutter posted:

My friend's 2 giant N scale ships coming along. The forward one is a huge LNG tanker.

See the tiny dark box on the deck of the LNG? That's a railway box car to scale.

No half measures in the model train world, let me assure you

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
My dad had a model train set up in our rec room when I was a kid, a sprawling coal mining town he painted d to look as run down and depressing as possible. He even set it up so the locamotive he had that had a light and a little spot to put dry ice to look like steam, so when you turned off the lights and got your face down to eye level it looked like some sort of ghost train coming at you.

My friends and I would use it to play Battletech on the set :3: it went away when my house burned down and dad never built a new one before he died even though he got a bunch of insurance money to replace it. I miss that train set.

Dad was ethnically German so it makes sense

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 14, 2016

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Your local, personal experiences are anecdotal and shouldn't be used to tar the literally tens of millions of people who play Magic.

Bear in mind, probably the worst thing I said about MtG players is that they're worse than anime watchers (who it is apparently accepted - even expected - to deride). I still think that rules sets can exacerbate problems in a game community (or mitigate them), but I agree that that's not only determining factor in whether a game has a good community, especially at the local level.

My experiences with social circles is that what counts as "socially acceptable" varies so much that I don't look at it in absolute terms, but only relative to the people I spend time with. I had a bunch more here about that but it's getting so off-topic that it's not worth continuing. At least my previous posts had some sort of tenuous tie-in to the lovely community management GW has done.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

He tweets about training at my gym but I've never seen him there.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Avenging dentist is right about us MTG players since there's enough grinders (people who play in all the large events hoping to make it big) in a large enough concentration who have terrible personalities. Many of them seem to idolize Brad Nelson, who won player of the year a couple years ago but lost: his job, his girlfriend, his family and friends, his school. Practically dropped out of everything to play some magic.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
MTG is Mother, MTG is Father. He has a new family now.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

ijyt posted:

What the gently caress is a cube

Drugs

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Bad Moon posted:

My dad had a model train set up in our rec room when I was a kid, a sprawling coal mining town he painted d to look as run down and depressing as possible. He even set it up so the locamotive he had that had a light and a little spot to put dry ice to look like steam, so when you turned off the lights and got your face down to eye level it looked like some sort of ghost train coming at you.

My friends and I would use it to play Battletech on the set :3: it went away when my house burned down and dad never built a new one before he died even though he got a bunch of insurance money to replace it. I miss that train set.

Dad was ethnically German so it makes sense

THAT IS SO SAD.

Also sad

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Chill la Chill posted:

Avenging dentist is right about us MTG players since there's enough grinders (people who play in all the large events hoping to make it big) in a large enough concentration who have terrible personalities. Many of them seem to idolize Brad Nelson, who won player of the year a couple years ago but lost: his job, his girlfriend, his family and friends, his school. Practically dropped out of everything to play some magic.
Still not as bad as the loon who got fired from his sweet nonsense CFB job talking about how hitler was right on a livestream.

Grinders are horrible though yeah. My friends got back in with cubing then decided they wanted to sort of be grinders, and it's just hilarious.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

My pro strat for trolling grinders: only go to a couple convenient large tournaments a year and do well in them. Place higher than the local grinder crowd. Watch them get angry when you beat them at FNM or weekly legacy because you don't play as often as they do. :evilbuddy:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Vifam episode 2 review, by boom boom boom, age 11

Episode 1 ended with the last shuttle leaving the surface of Creado to escape alien attack. Episode 2 kicks off with it arriving at the space station in orbit. Every ship they've got is being filled with civilians and fired off towards the nearest human settlement, Beruike. They're out of space ferries, so they decide to use the Jenias, a deep-space training ship operating with less than a skeleton crew. The civilians, including the kids we met last episode, the professor and his wife, and the Monolith, get on board and the space station is attacked, so the Jenias is forced to launch immediately, without it's captain. The aliens shoot up the Jenias a bunch, but it's eventually able to go to full speed and lose them. During the battle they lose several of their fighting robots, because the aliens are somehow able to predict their evasive maneuvers.

When I say the ship gets shot up, I mean, seriously. They don't say how many people died, but it's a lot.

So the episode ends with Jenias on course to Beruike. Severely under-crewed, there are only 32 people on board. Ten are children.

I am excited for some Battlestar Galactica stuff. I was planning on watching one episode every other day so I wouldn't get too far ahead of anybody, but I might jump it up to one a day.

Here's the link to episode 3

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Is that anime as good as or better than the space WW1 anime?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Is that anime as good as or better than the space WW1 anime?

It's better but worse than the space napoleonic era anime

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oh good. I don't think anything can top the space Napoleonic anime.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Some professional investment writer is slamming GW:

http://www.iii.co.uk/news-opinion/richard-beddard/games-workshop%3A-denial

quote:

Games Workshop: In denial

There’s bad news about revenue and profitability in Games Workshop’s half-year report and no adequate explanation. Maybe the company’s in denial.

Games Workshop failed to report the one thing I was looking out for in the half-year to November 2015, an increase in revenue, although on a constant currency basis it did rise (by less than 1%). Operating profit was flat too, although it was rescued by royalty income from other firms, for example app and computer game producers who use Games Workshop’s fantasy worlds. Profit from the sale of miniatures and games, the company’s core business, fell 15%.

Irritatingly, Games Workshop didn’t provide an explanation, which is surprising since, in its previous full-year results, it had promised a sales drive.

Delving into the segmental results in note 2, which are admirably thorough, it’s easy to pick out a culprit from the line-up. Games Workshop’s trade channel made an operating profit of £5.8m and its mail order channel made a profit of £6.2m, but its retail channel made a loss of £2.5m, more than double the loss it made for the same period the previous year.

Sales, the company, says are roughly flat on a constant currency basis, but it opened 25 new stores and only closed 13.

The retail channel is Games Workshop’s Hobby Stores, which are being rebranded Warhammer and are present in many UK and European towns and cities. They’re of particular interest because of the strategic emphasis put on them, and because of how much they cost to run.

Games Workshop designs, manufactures and retails fantasy miniatures which must be assembled and painted, either for the fun of it, or to play its Warhammer games. The company eschews advertising and relies primarily on word of mouth and its stores to encourage new hobbyists who can model and play there as well as spend.

It’s just completed a multi-year store rationalisation program, relocating to smaller, cheaper premises, and converting stores into low-cost one-man operations. The strategy was a response to a period of expansion when higher costs almost completely stymied profit, and it successfully restored profitability at Games Workshop.

Store running costs are over half of all Games Workshop’s operating costs, reflecting, presumably, their importance not just as a sales channel, but as way of recruiting new hobbyists who might go on and buy products through mail-order (which includes the company’s Internet site) and other retailers. The trade and mail order channels are far less expensive to operate.

Kevin Rountree, the company’s chief executive, has previously said improvements in sales depend on recruiting the right store managers, and that failing to do so is the biggest risk facing Games Workshop. He has recruited a recruitment specialist to help him.

Maybe that’s all there is to it. But maybe the company can’t recruit managers of sufficient calibre because running a one-man store is too much work for one man. Maybe one man cannot show people how to model, run games, and serve paying customers at the same time. Trials of larger multi-man stores in Sydney, Munich, Paris and Copenhagen suggest, at least for locations where there are lots of customers, one man stores are not the answer.

I also worry that despite the unsubstantiated claim that Games Workshop has launched some “great new products”, the company’s new version of Warhammer, Warhammer Age of Sigmar, is not doing as well as hoped. This new simpler version is intended to revive the original Warhammer game, which for many years has trailed its more futuristic sibling Warhammer 40,000.

Perhaps by focusing too much on maximising profit through cost cutting, the company is neglecting the recruitment of new hobbyists. Or perhaps the much smaller armies of rival fantasy wargaming and modelling companies and the armies of illegal clones sold on the Internet are chipping away at Games Workshop’s franchise. In a more competitive world profitable stores in less popular locations may be oxymoronic.

The company routinely denies competitive threats and aggressively squashes business that steal its intellectual property, but the longer it fails to lift revenue profitably the more credible these alternate realities become.

My previous article on Games Workshop was also my most popular article, it accumulated a staggering number of comments. That gives us an inkling of how strong a hold the company has over modellers and gamers, which is what attracted me to it as an investment.

But when I read Games Workshop’s results, I wonder about what the company says, and what it doesn’t say, and whether I’m mad or it’s delusional.

To my mind, the business is stuck in a rut, but it needs to grow to justify the asking price. A share price of 549p values the enterprise at £226m, about 16 times adjusted profit.

You may be wondering why a so-called long-term investor is worrying about half-year sales. I’m not.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Chill la Chill posted:

Oh good. I don't think anything can top the space Napoleonic anime.

Whaaat??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

LMK if you know of a military drama anime that tops it.

• Locked thread