Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

Most of the old games are on GOG and there's a spiritual successor (by which I mean it's the exact same goddamn thing but with a different name) by the same devs on Steam called Contraption Maker.

I did not know this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
As a former Incredible Machine addict, Contraption Maker is pretty fun

hackbunny posted:

eugh those prerendered graphics, I like the hand-drawn graphics of homm2 much better. there was this interminable, agonizing period of time in gaming where graphics went from sometimes beautiful hand-drawn 2D to unescapably cringeworthy 3D or pre-rendered graphics

I remember when late in the SNES's life it fell victim to this, I'm sorry but Donkey Kong Country and Killer Instinct looked like garbage

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

madlobster posted:

Actually, Windows 10 32-bit still has 16-bit compatibility.

When we reach distant galaxies we'll still be running code written by some beardo in 1982 because there's no way to deprecate it

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Code Jockey posted:

As a former Incredible Machine addict, Contraption Maker is pretty fun

I remember when late in the SNES's life it fell victim to this, I'm sorry but Donkey Kong Country and Killer Instinct looked like garbage

Agree for KI, disagree for Donkey Kong Country. It holds up in my opinion

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Germstore posted:

Agree for KI, disagree for Donkey Kong Country. It holds up in my opinion

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
In motion, on a CRT it looks good. I pulled out my SNES a couple weeks ago because my kids were playing demos of SNES games on the Wii and I was like, hey, I have all those games.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
these are some games i played as a boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6a-ZvwlSFg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCIDRyWUq2g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9fehbOkXV8

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Lathespin.gif posted:

Dredged up a couple more old timers from the ol' memory bank [28.8k WARNING]

you could play this bitch over a modem to modem connection with a buddy, gently caress YEAH

Holy poo poo I've been looking for this game for 20 years now THANK YOU. It was so stupid but I loved it back when I had a copy.

Holy poo poo the dude is still selling copies of it.... http://www.carrsoft.com/ That's dedication.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

hackbunny posted:

this looks good! how spergy/painful to play is it really?

Homm2 is the most intuitive, user-friendly strategy game of its era, at least on the PC. I think you can get it on GoG for a fiver.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Myst.

Gun Metal Cray
Apr 27, 2005

Pillbug

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I never understood the love for Shadow of the Beast, but Agony was incredible:

https://youtu.be/WYxIJxqrv6U

Psygnosis' games were basically 16-bit eyecandy.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Code Jockey posted:

The monitor on the right, the Commodore 1702, is a badass CRT monitor. Capable of svideo [via chroma/luma], but even the composite input gives a bright, sharp, vivid image. I have three of them, one for my C64, one on one of my old xboxes used for emulation, and the third just because I'm a hoarder.

I still have one too. Ironic the only crt still in my house is well over 30 years old.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

The Kins posted:

WELCOME  TO  THE  WINDOWS  95  GAME  PLATFORM

This was an old demo disc by Microsoft and Monolith called "Odyssey - Games For Windows 95". It had a bunch of game demos like Doom, Dogz and Beavis and Butthead in Virtual Stupidity, some info sheets on other games like Earthworm Jim, and some weird tech demos by Monolith. The menu was a 3D Doom-style engine where you wandered around a space station. It had some weird secrets in it!

gently caress yes. We got that with our first computer (100MHz Pentium ca 1995-1996) and I played it soooooo much. I think I still have the disk at my parents house somewhere, but I made sure to make a backup iso image when I moved away.

I'd love to play these games again, especially the full versions, but some of them seem to have become obscure and lost to time. In particular, Havoc and Ice & Fire are very difficult to find any information on these days. Can anyone help out with those two games?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

I played this all the time on my Amstrad. The loading times off tape were about 15 minutes to go into a dungeon or the town. Of course you'd go into the sewers only to realise you forgot something and waste 30 minutes of your life.

Having 2 or 3 wizards casting MIBL was fantastic.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i've felt a little disappointed, cause discovering later might and magic and wizardry games recently, i know if i'd found those as a preteen i would have gotten deep into them.

instead i spent most of that time playing budget titles from target, trying to understand the RTS Army Men games.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Haha. Most dope-rear end logo in the world. And it will always say "Psychosis" to me and my brother

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I'd love to play these games again, especially the full versions, but some of them seem to have become obscure and lost to time. In particular, Havoc and Ice & Fire are very difficult to find any information on these days. Can anyone help out with those two games?

https://archive.org/details/Havoc_201307

Dr.Caligari has a new favorite as of 03:50 on Jan 15, 2016

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Data Graham posted:

When we reach distant galaxies we'll still be running code written by some beardo in 1982 because there's no way to deprecate it
Doesn't at least one branch of the military still have their payroll system running in COBOL dating back to the Vietnam war, requiring constant desperate resuscitation attempts?

LethalGeek posted:

Holy poo poo the dude is still selling copies of it.... http://www.carrsoft.com/ That's dedication.
Tim Sweeney's dad was still selling Epic's old shareware games out of his house via mail order until a couple years ago.

laserghost posted:

I never understood the love for Shadow of the Beast, but Agony was incredible:

https://youtu.be/WYxIJxqrv6U

Psygnosis' games were basically 16-bit eyecandy.
By the developers own admission, decades later, Shadow of the Beast was a tech demo with a game stapled to it. It looked pretty as hell, with parralax scrolling all over the place, and that's all it really needed to be popular and sell like it was going out of fashion.

And yes, Agony is ridiculously pretty.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This kind of pixel art is one of those things that really does not deserve to be lost to the ages.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

The Kins posted:

Doesn't at least one branch of the military still have their payroll system running in COBOL dating back to the Vietnam war, requiring constant desperate resuscitation attempts?

all military pay goes through DFAS and yeah its COBOL from skimming this article. It's a nightmare when something goes wrong with your pay.

http://www.reuters.com/investigates/pentagon/#article/part1

powerofrecall
Jun 26, 2009

by R. Guyovich

:hellyeah:

Agony reminds me of another inexplicable game, Kolibri on 32x (of all consoles)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds5klrkqvCg

I actually owned it and it was probably one of the best 32x games but that isn't saying much. It's by the same people who made Ecco the Dolphin. Like Agony, the art is amazing though. Are "weird games starring animals" a 90s thing?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

all military pay goes through DFAS and yeah its COBOL from skimming this article. It's a nightmare when something goes wrong with your pay.

http://www.reuters.com/investigates/pentagon/#article/part1

And Treasury servers which disperse this are running on IBM mainframes from the 80's

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!
I guess one way to look at the problem of ancient computers running the government is that all the people who actually know how to hack them are either retired or dead.

But the same can be said for the people tasked with fixing them when things go wrong.

"What? It's a computer. It's only 30 years old. Just fix it!"

"Dude, it's got loving GEARS in it!"

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

woodch posted:

I guess one way to look at the problem of ancient computers running the government is that all the people who actually know how to hack them are either retired or dead.

But the same can be said for the people tasked with fixing them when things go wrong.

"What? It's a computer. It's only 30 years old. Just fix it!"

"Dude, it's got loving GEARS in it!"

Hell its why I have a job, I'm one of the few still fluent in FORTRAN and work with the VA pay servers

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

:aaa: That game is gorgeous. And how did I not know that there are TWO shoot-em-ups where you play as a bird?! I knew about Kolibri, but...

theultimo posted:

Hell its why I have a job, I'm one of the few still fluent in FORTRAN and work with the VA pay servers

FORTRAN. You're joking, right. :stare:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

My parents got a MS-DOS computer when I was four, so I played the hell out of Reader Rabbit and Think Quick:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rg87iDSwZ0

Also, does anyone remember Graal?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

you were warned posted:

:aaa: That game is gorgeous. And how did I not know that there are TWO shoot-em-ups where you play as a bird?! I knew about Kolibri, but...

FORTRAN. You're joking, right. :stare:

From the Treasury fiscal year 2014 report
https://www.treasury.gov/ffb/FINAL_FFB_AnnualReport2014_FINAL111014x.pdf

BTW they were expecting 90% of the code to be updated this year, its still only 30-40% conversion

The FFB’s core lending and accounting system, the Loan Management Control System
(LMCS), has supported the FFB’s lending and accounting activities since the 1980’s. LMCS
is highly reliable, accurate and essential to the day-to-day operations of the FFB. To
provide for the future operations and maintenance needs of the LMCS, the FFB has begun
a multi-year initiative to transition the system to a platform of newer and more widely-
supported technologies. This effort includes conversion of the legacy FORTRAN code into
more widely-supported programming languages.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

powerofrecall posted:

Agony reminds me of another inexplicable game, Kolibri on 32x (of all consoles)

Hungarians had a knack for making ridiculously pretty games with great soundtracks and atmosphere: onEscapee (basically Flashback but incredibly hard and dense with puzzles), Perihelion, Reunion...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Data Graham posted:

This kind of pixel art is one of those things that really does not deserve to be lost to the ages.
The Amiga Graphics Archive is a great site that preserves a lot of this pixel artwork, and details the weird technology quirks that artists had to exploit to make it look so good on mid-80s hardware.

From what I understand very few of the people involved in this sort of computer game art at the time (at least on the Amiga and such) were trained artists, and fewer still had any animation experience... so the fact that so much cool stuff fell out of it is pretty wonderful.

powerofrecall posted:

I actually owned it and it was probably one of the best 32x games but that isn't saying much. It's by the same people who made Ecco the Dolphin. Like Agony, the art is amazing though. Are "weird games starring animals" a 90s thing?
Weird, highly-detailed pixel-art games starring detailed, realistic animals were definitely a 90's Europe thing - Agony was made in Belgium and both Ecco and Kolibri were from Hungary.

theultimo posted:

How does it feel to be a literal necromancer for a living?

Egbert Souse posted:

Apparently one of the developers (or staff? I forget... he did something to do with guilds... it's been a very long time) on this game was Mark Karpeles, who nowadays is more famous for heading up the Bitcoin exchange MtGox, and being arrested by Japanese police over its collapse.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Egbert Souse posted:

I remember playing Graal on dialup with my lovely computer back in 1999! Wowzers!

The only reason I found it and thought it was at all interesting was because it came up after searching "link to the past for computer" on Ask Jeeves.

The Kins posted:

The Amiga Graphics Archive is a great site that preserves a lot of this pixel artwork, and details the weird technology quirks that artists had to exploit to make it look so good on mid-80s hardware.

Being a gamer from the Amiga era must have really been something. A lot of the games I see look fantastic and have pretty amazing soundtracks for the era.

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 06:43 on Jan 15, 2016

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

Being a gamer from the Amiga era must have really been something. A lot of the games I see look fantastic and have pretty amazing soundtracks for the era.
They look and sound great, but gameplay was typically pretty spotty, especially since the most widely-supported controller on the platform was a one-button joystick. (Hope you like pressing "up" to jump!) Most of the big name fun games were eventually ported to the PC or consoles.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Data Graham posted:

Haha. Most dope-rear end logo in the world. And it will always say "Psychosis" to me and my brother

Also, they had the best box art, if I remember correctly.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
the xiao xiao series of flash animations of stickmen fighting each other, hong kong action style.

they started out really simple, but became increasingly brutal and epic with every episode

then, a few years ago we finally got what i always wanted as a teenager - a playable version - one finger death punch. really fun for a 2$ game.

https://youtu.be/O3sexvJM5Go

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory

:allears: God drat, what a nostalgia trip

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

JediTalentAgent posted:

Also, they had the best box art, if I remember correctly.
A lot of the old Psygnosis box art everyone remembers, like Shadow of the Beast, was done by Roger Dean. You might know him from his many album covers for Yes and other rock bands, or for his Tetris logo.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

In particular, Havoc and Ice & Fire are very difficult to find any information on these days. Can anyone help out with those two games?

I have found the full version of Havoc, what is the :filez: policy currently? Is linking full version of old rear end, obscure, hard to find games kosher?

you were warned posted:

Knock yourself out with this game's beauty by reading this huge rear end post by one of the authors. Or maybe even buy a poster?

The Kins posted:

A lot of the old Psygnosis box art everyone remembers, like Shadow of the Beast, was done by Roger Dean. You might know him from his many album covers for Yes and other rock bands, or for his Tetris logo.

They were actually his older pieces, sometimes with little relevance to game itself, but who would care if the artwork looks like this:

the biggest unaswered question is where is the money?

laserghost has a new favorite as of 11:04 on Jan 15, 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Data Graham posted:

When installing Windows, ask yourself: do I want to be able to use more than 4GB of RAM, or do I want to be able to run code written for Windows 3?

The Kins posted:

Tim Sweeney

poo poo I didn't know the same guy was responsible for both ZZT and the Unreal Engine!