Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Steward of Gondor seems very strong (probably is) but by design or as a result, Leadership has very much become the "rich" sphere. Due to that their costs tend to trend higher, so it all balances out. Or if it doesn't, you can always build without it. The beauty of non-competitive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Single-sphere decks seem way too limited to play solo unless you own all the cards, probably.

Unless you're playing Leadership Gandalf sneak attacks or something silly.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

sassassin posted:

Single-sphere decks seem way too limited to play solo unless you own all the cards, probably.

Unless you're playing Leadership Gandalf sneak attacks or something silly.

That is my favorite combo in the core set. Check it out, gonna nuke the Hummerhorns in the staging area.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

canyoneer posted:

That is my favorite combo in the core set. Check it out, gonna nuke the Hummerhorns in the staging area.

Or you can just roll with Dunhere and they go down like scrubs :smug:

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Zaphod42 posted:

Just played through the newbie passage through mirkwood quest using a single-hand solo newbie leadership deck. Really loved how the leadership deck performed, managed to complete the quest by the skin of my teeth. Well, at first it was the skin of my teeth, but by the end I had a small army and I rolled right over the last quest step. Got an unlucky draw of Ungoliant Spawn really early on which rocked my guys, but I hung through. I do enjoy the tactics of the game and it plays pretty well, even if some of the mechanics are a little funny if you think about it. (Like, the guy who defends against a monster does zero damage to it? huh? You always have people fighting in pairs where one attacks and one defends... yeah right)

Gondorian Spearman do 1 damage when declared as defenders. Also Spear of the Citadel does 1 damage when the character it's attached to is declared a defender. Throw it on Boromir or Beregond and watch the small damage pile up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

frgildan posted:

Gondorian Spearman do 1 damage when declared as defenders. Also Spear of the Citadel does 1 damage when the character it's attached to is declared a defender. Throw it on Boromir or Beregond and watch the small damage pile up.

Yeah I just stumbled into this and Gondorian Spearmen are now my favorite chump blockers. You guys are the real heroes!

I just played my first game with other people and even though I kinda hosed up and included some of the wrong cards in the adventure deck making everything way harder than it should have been and slightly confusing (whoops!) still had a blast. Went ahead and ordered a couple more expansions, gonna work on building a ranger deck. Pretty cool stuff. I've got a whole lot of ideas for card synergies, which is what you want from a LCG like this.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I like the look of the ranger/lore/trap cards but I can never find room for them in decks.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Not sure how tht first quest of lost realm is supposed to be fun. Loads of tough enemies that can run away to the staging area before you can strike back, and the only concession it makes (no engagement checks) is a trap because you threat shoots up when you take advantage of it.

Hands upon the bow Legolas almost killed the war party first turn but I was still buried in other orcs by the end of turn two so it wouldn't have mattered.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

sassassin posted:

I like the look of the ranger/lore/trap cards but I can never find room for them in decks.

The forest snare or whatever its called that just completely disables an enemy monster is really fantastic. Couple that with the hero that makes traps cheaper and a bunch of rangers that get + attack or defense based on how many enemies you're engaged with, pretty powerful combo to just tag and bag enemies and then keep them sitting around to give like +3 to all your dudes for the rest of the game. Plus you're taking out 3 nasty monsters without doing a single point of damage.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Did anything official ever come from the guy that was cheating in the Warhammer Conquest tournament?

I mean besides the sock puppet forums posts, which are always hilarious

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Nobody posted these Boundless Hate spoilers, so here they are:

I'm not sure if Rok Bombardment is better than Warcry, but it's probably better in Nazdreg, who would likely field units with more HP. The planet type restriction kinda sucks, though. I also have no idea what to think of Goes Fasta as an ability. I guess you can sorta force it by not putting your Warlord when you don't have first player at a planet, but +4 HP is a weird ability since chances are that thing will die when the battle ends anyway. Front Line 'Ard Boyz goes right in Nazdreg, though. Command and good synergy with Brutal = yes. I wonder if they're going to give every faction a defender type unit? I know for sure that Fire Team Elites are annoying as poo poo to deal with in Tau.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah but a 7/7 with brutal is an awful scary thing to deal with.

My dream of Dozer blades in Nazdreg is getting close though

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The mirkwood cycle packs are back in stock over here, which has led to some questionable purchasing decisions so soon after christmas.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If I was going to jump into LoTR to support a small group of friends, what would be the must grabs aside from 2x Core Sets?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If I was going to jump into LoTR to support a small group of friends, what would be the must grabs aside from 2x Core Sets?

Its pretty open from there, I would say don't get Heirs of Numenor first because its really hard unless you have a good deck built, although it has some great Gondor cards in it.

The Black Riders is probably the best big-box expansion, after that maybe the road darkens, over hill and under hill, and on the doorstep. Although it'll depend upon if your group wants to play through The Hobbit, LOTR, or just some more general Middle Earth stuff.

Also depends upon if you want to focus on a particular synergy like dwarves, rohan, gondor, hobbits, etc.

Note that the smaller booster expansions require you to own the big-box expansion their cycle is based on. The core set does have an expansion cycle that only requires the core set, but some of those aren't so hot. The game gets better with more cards and expansions for sure.

I'd say definitely grab the black riders if you can, then maybe something like kazad-dun or over hill and under hill. Then either get more big-box stuff or get the small packs that relate to the big-boxes you own.

And feel free to browse around cards and decks online to see which sets will have cards you want. That's the only way to know for sure.

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/lotr/lord-of-the-rings-card-spoiler

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
This might help as well: https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-player-buying-guide/

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Going straight in with two cores you're presumably talking 3 or 4 players. So take note of the fact that the adventure packs (small boxes) contain a greater percentage of player cards than the big boxes do.

The saga boxes especially are just flat out low on player cards. The Road Darkens is something bonkers like 7 different player cards, 5 of which are unique (can only have one copy on the table total, not per player) and 1 which might as well be. The quests are great but if you want to unlock some actual deckbuilding you'll want to just increase your player card pool first.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

That's a good point, and you could actually buy the smaller booster packs without buying the big-box expansion first if you didn't care about the adventures. The player cards should work in any deck and if there's some new rule you can just look it up online. The reason they require the expansion is because the adventures mix in encounter decks from the expansion.

Still, you may as well try to get smaller packs which you also have the big box expansion for.
And the game is ultimately about playing adventures :)

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
This is pretty interesting for AGoT 2.0 players.

quote:

Announcing the first TTG Tournament Season!
January 12, 2016

Hi everyone, my name is Chris Kizer. I have been playing "A Game of Thrones: The Card Game" on a competitive level for several years in the Tulsa Meta, and my favorite experiences have always been attending various tournaments across the United States. It doesn't hurt that AGoT is one of the most fun game systems I have ever played, but at the end of the day I travel to test my skills against the 100+ friends I have made by being an active member of such an amazing community.

This sentiment is shared by many other competitive tabletop gamers, so I have decided to enhance and expand those gamers' experiences by establishing an exciting new series of tournaments across the US. This tournament series will be accompanied by content that is heavily focused on competitive tabletop gaming, such as player interviews and featured match videos.

I am beyond excited to introduce TABLETOP TOURNEY GROUNDS.

http://www.tabletoptourneygrounds.com/

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

That's a good point, and you could actually buy the smaller booster packs without buying the big-box expansion first if you didn't care about the adventures. The player cards should work in any deck and if there's some new rule you can just look it up online. The reason they require the expansion is because the adventures mix in encounter decks from the expansion.

Still, you may as well try to get smaller packs which you also have the big box expansion for.
And the game is ultimately about playing adventures :)

Agreed with all of this, I'd only advise personally against getting a string of big boxes if you're buying for a group. I've bought adventure packs without owning the deluxe expansion for very specific cards, but that was when I already owned half the game. People shouldn't do this!

There are probably other concerns if it is indeed intended to play 4 regularly. Like any quests people would suggest for Macdeo as being easier for large groups? Personally I'm 90% solo so I got no idea!

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Zaphod42 posted:

I'd say definitely grab the black riders if you can, then maybe something like kazad-dun or over hill and under hill. Then either get more big-box stuff or get the small packs that relate to the big-boxes you own.
Note that Black Riders and Khazad-Dum are both being reprinted and almost impossible to find right now (in the UK at least).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Just use some core cards in place of the deluxe expansion ones if you want to pick and choose from the expansion packs for heroes/player cards. Nothing should break too much, and it's all just orcs at the end of the day so who cares? Mix it up.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Zephro posted:

Note that Black Riders and Khazad-Dum are both being reprinted and almost impossible to find right now (in the UK at least).

Although if anyone was looking for a copy of Black Riders in the UK I have an extra copy from Christmas 2014 that I forgot about that I'm happy to shift at a reasonable price, shrink wrapped and all.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Single Tight Female posted:

Although if anyone was looking for a copy of Black Riders in the UK I have an extra copy from Christmas 2014 that I forgot about that I'm happy to shift at a reasonable price, shrink wrapped and all.
I quite possibly am but you don't seem to have PMs :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

sassassin posted:

Just use some core cards in place of the deluxe expansion ones if you want to pick and choose from the expansion packs for heroes/player cards. Nothing should break too much, and it's all just orcs at the end of the day so who cares? Mix it up.

Speaking of, are there any like popular fan scenarios or like fun ways to twist a certain encounter by including another deck or swapping one deck for another?

I accidentally built one of the starting core set encounter decks with the escape from dol guldur set, then me and my friend were really confused why we kept running into nasty poo poo like ringwraiths or items which would have nothing but negative effects if you picked them up. "I guess you need those if you're playing dol guldur, but if you're not you just ignore them?" we said. :doh: Then after we baaaarely survive the thing, I'm packing up the cards and I realize I looked at the wrong quest card for a second when I was building the deck.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

So we finally got around to playing Conflict at the Carrock last night...holy hell. We're using base decks from 2 core sets and adding cards from Adventure packs as we play them (so currently we've got 2x core+ Hunt for Gollum+CatC) with 3 of us playing mono sphere (leadership, tactics, and lore are what we used last night). Game was going ok early on but we DIDN'T read the quest cards ahead of time and subsequently finished the first stage on the first player's FIRST TURN after a big questing phase then Legolas sniping a Death Adder. NO ONE had any allies out, so here come 4 trolls. Lore was already at 34 threat, so we had to engage at that point. Things went downhill from there. Good god this one is hard...

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Speaking of, are there any like popular fan scenarios or like fun ways to twist a certain encounter by including another deck or swapping one deck for another?

There are a bunch of fan-created scenarios listed on BGG and they're even ranked along with the official ones. I'm wary of imbalance and lack of playtesting with fan stuff, but there are so many official adventures that I suspect my interest in the game will wane before I run out of content.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

My friend and I just played Conquest for the first time with the generic Space Marines/Orks starter decks, and we both really enjoyed it even though I ended up getting wrecked because he managed to put together an impressive warband on the first planet early on and just steamrollered me. It seems like if you can put together a decent group of guys in your HQ it's hard for your opponent to fight back, but we might have been missing something.

Two quick questions:

Are there any good general strategy guides out there, just in the sense of how the different factions play or basic starter tips?

What are some good expansions to get early on to build up the card pool?

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Is his stuff moving from HQ coming to the next planet exhausted? Big mistake most players make.

You come into play fresh, but those bros following the warlord gotta go to the next planet and take a turn of getting beaten on

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Dumb LOTR question: Does the minimum 50 card count include the heroes in the deck or not. I read it as inclusive but this online deckbuilder doesn't count them.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

MisterShine posted:

Is his stuff moving from HQ coming to the next planet exhausted? Big mistake most players make.

You come into play fresh, but those bros following the warlord gotta go to the next planet and take a turn of getting beaten on

Ahhh, that explains a lot and makes more sense now. No, we missed that. Thanks!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

sassassin posted:

Dumb LOTR question: Does the minimum 50 card count include the heroes in the deck or not. I read it as inclusive but this online deckbuilder doesn't count them.

No it does not.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Does anyone have ONE Gandalf art sleeve? I somehow have 49 of them and they're out of print...

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Are there any good general strategy guides out there, just in the sense of how the different factions play or basic starter tips?

What are some good expansions to get early on to build up the card pool?

Fetterkey has you covered.

Fetterkey posted:

I've written a Conquest fundamentals article over on CardGameDB covering some basic strategies (in both deckbuilding and gameplay) for doing well in the command struggle. Check it out!

Fetterkey posted:

I just wrote another CardGameDB article, this time dealing with faction identities in Conquest. It's basically a revamped version of a reply that I made here on SA a while ago which I figured would be useful to newcomers - my hope is to publish something like one article a weak dealing with various fundamental gameplay tips.

My favorite moment of a Conquest game is when both players understand the inevitability of having a big showdown at a match point planet, so all these big guns and big plays happen. It's like the entirety of the first 75-90% of the game are basically just jabs and pokes to assess the other's capabilities, then fuckit here comes the full onslaught. It's just so climactic and awesome and I love it.

Sa'cea Broadside with a Gun Drone attached is no joke.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 18, 2016

Han Yolo
Feb 14, 2012
So FFG now has a suspension policy.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/spolicy/

One name already on the list. I'm guessing that's the guy who cheated at Conquest?

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Han Yolo posted:

So FFG now has a suspension policy.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/spolicy/

One name already on the list. I'm guessing that's the guy who cheated at Conquest?

Yup. Looks like a five year ban from all FFG games, which is harsh but justifiable under the circumstances IMO.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I can't believe they banned me for so long when I have always maintained it was just an accident and i didn't mean to draw three cards repeatedly while the game was close and then draw only 2 cards later when I had the game well in hand.

edit: this is from him

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

tijag posted:

I can't believe they banned me for so long when I have always maintained it was just an accident and i didn't mean to draw three cards repeatedly while the game was close and then draw only 2 cards later when I had the game well in hand.

edit: this is from him

"I know I just won the world championship but I totally don't understand this game, it was a simple mistake I swear"

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Its my first day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

So I'm trying to put together Babby's First LOTR deck for this weekend, when I'm going to try a couple of scenarios with a friend who's also just starting out in the game. I only have a single core set (the core seems to be out of print now, which is weird), plus Shadow and Flame and Foundations of Stone. So with that very limited card pool I came up with this Spirit/Lore deck. It is probably terrible and bad, but I lack the experience to say. A lot of cards are 2-ofs because that's all the Core has:

quote:

Total Cards 50
Hero (3)
Starting threat 27

Elrond
Eowyn
Glorfindel (Spirit)

-
Ally (24)
Imladris Stargazer x 3
Northern Tracker x 2
Master of the Forge x 3
Snowbourn Scout x 3
Wandering Took x 2
Miner of the Iron Hills x 2
Lorien Guide x 3
Gandalf x 3
Faramir x 2
Beorn x 1

Attachment (17)
Asfaloth x 3
Light of Valinor x 3
Miruvor x 3
Vilya x 3
The Favor of the Lady x 2
Self Preservation x 1
Protector of Lorien x 2

Event (9)
Peace, and Thought x 2
The Galadhrim's Greeting x 2
Unexpected Courage x 1
Hasty Stroke x 2
Lorien's Wealth x 2
The basic idea is to focus mostly on questing and locations (I think my friend is going Leadership/Tactics). I went with few events (especially conditional ones) because of Vilya, which it seems like you want to fire every turn, so I want to be reasonably confident that I can use whatever comes off the deck. The Stargazers and the card draw are there so I can decide what to Vilya, and then it's basically just a bunch of allies that I thought looked good or fulfilled the deck's stated goals. Protector of Lorien is there so I can do something with duplicates of unique cards like Asfaloth, Vilya, Light of Valinor etc.

Do I have too many attachments? Should I go even heaver into allies, given that I can play them from any sphere thanks to Vilya? Is this whole thing a hopeless disaster?

Zephro fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 22, 2016