Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hoiyes
May 17, 2007

zVxTeflon posted:

It's a cannon isn't it so no y-wings

Also the issue with it isnt so much giving up your shot but denying the other guy his. I'd gladly sacrifice one ships shot to make sure Corran horn never goes anywhere near an asteroid the entire game. It's a huge area denial weapon for that reason.

Except you have to shoot first, so to stop an ace shooting you're gonna need a faster ace to shoot, which is a big points investment for 0 damage, outside the TieD (and very likely the M3A will get some kind of patch to make it work)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

AndyElusive posted:

I cannot for the life of me stand hearing someone mouth breath while they prattle on about their weekend or about some WAAC list while mispronouncing pilot names.

More often than not it's like listening to the FFG forums read out loud.

Ahh god this is so true. Pronouncing Xizor correctly should be a requirement

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

He'll I'm pretty loving sure I don't even pronounce his name right (She Zor?) but then again I don't even try and I don't go on podcasts.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

alg posted:

They really should have just been range 1. In the fluff they are very short range. A 1 point 3 range secondary weapon that gets another shot against - 1 defense die is a little much. We'll see how it shakes out.

The EU is non-canon and bad so tractor beams can have as big of a range as they want

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Improbable Lobster posted:

The EU is non-canon and bad so tractor beams can have as big of a range as they want

X-Wing is not a game dependent on canon.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

zVxTeflon posted:

It's a cannon isn't it so no y-wings

Also the issue with it isnt so much giving up your shot but denying the other guy his. I'd gladly sacrifice one ships shot to make sure Corran horn never goes anywhere near an asteroid the entire game. It's a huge area denial weapon for that reason.

I mean it's a cannon, not a turret. You still need to be in the primary arc to get tractored. I think people are just visualizing best case scenarios when it's actually pretty hard to get a super great shot that's worth giving up your 3 dice attack. Also the fact that you need a high PS ship to actually stop a high PS target from shooting. And you actually need to land the hit. A single tractor shot will maybe strip some tokens off Fel, but is unlikely to actually move him.

For reference, here are the ships that can take cannons:

Firespray
Tie Defender
Lambda
B-Wing
YT-2400
Aggressor
YV-666
Syck Interceptor w/title

I see tractors being really good on the Defender, medium/ok on the Lambda, Syck and B-Wing and bad on everything else (you don't want a 35+ point ship shooting for zero damage). I could see maybe tossing it into a list if you have a point leftover and a cannon slot available. Just to have the option to use it in case an amazing tractor shot opportunity presents itself. Beyond Defenders I think it's a marginal upgrade.

Ojetor fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 14, 2016

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

AndyElusive posted:

He'll I'm pretty loving sure I don't even pronounce his name right (She Zor?)

That is correct.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

He'll I'm pretty loving sure I don't even pronounce his name right (She Zor?) but then again I don't even try and I don't go on podcasts.

quote:

The pronunciation of Xizor's name is established in the novelization of Shadows of the Empire & Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption as "shē'zōr".

I've heard egg-zizor.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

AndyElusive posted:

I'm pretty sure it's SEE-zor, like the Pokémon. And if it isn't like that it should be. EDIT: It isn't.

The more I think about it, the more I think Hera Syndulla would be the best pilot in the entire game if she had an EPT or PS9. Trend-wise FFG seems to favor "underpowered on release with potential fixes" than "blatantly OP as poo poo" releases, and the Ghost looks like no exception. I'm torn between running a really neat shuttle with Sabine and PTL/Kyle Katarn/accessories, but 32 points for PS5 3/2/2/2 even with a cool combo feels worse the more I think about it. So you could fatten up the Ghost and leave the shuttle as naked as possible and just never undock it, but then you're paying around 70 (!!) points for what amounts to a Y-Wing with a serious dose of HGH.

I'm still going to buy the ship and fly it (casual), but I don't think I'm as up on it as I used to be, even with Hera's amazing pilot ability.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Ssssshh. It's okay. You're safe. This isn't Warhammer. This is a good game that doesn't break down the moment someone tries to make a powerful list. WAAC isn't a thing here. You can try to make a powerful list if you want. Noone will judge you.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I'm just keen on using Chopper as a pilot along with Zeb and anti pursuit lasers and floating around like a big dumbass purposefully trying to make people run into it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That's a relief. It was either that or Prince Scissor.

Geisladisk posted:

Ssssshh. It's okay. You're safe. This isn't Warhammer. This is a good game that doesn't break down the moment someone tries to make a powerful list. WAAC isn't a thing here. You can try to make a powerful list if you want. Noone will judge you.

Heh. Also I didn't mean to come across like I have a distane for powerful builds or those who make them, just that I seem to be repulsed by those who do and who lack a particular sense of humor and then broadcast it in audio format across the world wide web.

Maybe I should just lighten up.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

alg posted:

X-Wing is not a game dependent on canon.

So it's not beholden to tractor beams being short range, so my point still stands.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

So it's not beholden to tractor beams being short range, so my point still stands.

Yes well anything can be whatever FFG wants. That's not a point given they have followed the fluff on most things.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Ojetor posted:

I mean it's a cannon, not a turret. You still need to be in the primary arc to get tractored. I think people are just visualizing best case scenarios when it's actually pretty hard to get a super great shot that's worth giving up your 3 dice attack. Also the fact that you need a high PS ship to actually stop a high PS target from shooting. And you actually need to land the hit. A single tractor shot will maybe strip some tokens off Fel, but is unlikely to actually move him.

For reference, here are the ships that can take cannons:

Firespray
Tie Defender
Lambda
B-Wing
YT-2400
Aggressor
YV-666
Syck Interceptor w/title

I see tractors being really good on the Defender, medium/ok on the Lambda, Syck and B-Wing and bad on everything else (you don't want a 35+ point ship shooting for zero damage). I could see maybe tossing it into a list if you have a point leftover and a cannon slot available. Just to have the option to use it in case an amazing tractor shot opportunity presents itself. Beyond Defenders I think it's a marginal upgrade.

I can see it being pretty nice as an afterthought on ships that otherwise don't do much like the Lambda or the YV, especially because it's only a point.

It's going to be bread and butter for the Defender, and not really much good on anyone else, though.

Also, you forgot the G1A.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If it makes you feel better you can be fairly confident that FFG playtested the tractor beam in a variety of ways and with various ranges before settling on the version they're're releasing.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

AndyElusive posted:

If it makes you feel better you can be fairly confident that FFG playtested the tractor beam in a variety of ways and with various ranges before settling on the version they're're releasing.

We can? Because presumably they playtested the Scyk and found a reason it was worth releasing.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The reason is buying scum Aces a year later.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lots of Rules Clarifications have come out in the last day or so, from Frank or Alex. There are sources linked in the reddit thread for all of these, so it's gospel from on high. https://www.reddit.com/r/XWingTMG/comments/40udua/all_faq_additionsclarifications_since_v40/
---------------
Wampa happens at beginning of "Compare Results," so you can see if keeping your roll is better than the pilot ability, for example Rich!

"Youngster" works with TIE/fo Fighters

"Wampa"'s ability happens at the start of the "Compare Results" step.

TIE/fo Fighters can be docked to Gozanti using Docking Clamps

TIE Adv. Prototype cannot use TIE/x1 title

TIE Adv. Prototype cannot be docked to Gozanti using Docking Clamps

Omega Leader prevents HLC from turning critical hits into hits

Omega Leader prevents a ship from using Juke against him

Omega Leader prevents the use of C-3PO and evade tokens

If R2-D6 is discarded from Integrated Astromech, the equipped Elite Pilot Talent is not discarded.

Scoring: The large ship half-points rule got rewritten in the latest FAQ which caused some confusion. However, it works just like before; You're supposed to get half points for half-destroyed ships for the purpose of determining the winner and for the purpose of calculating MoV.
--------------------

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm actually glad the TIE adv. prototype can't use the X1 title since we might have to start guessing what the truncated words mean. They obviously have enough room to enlarge the ship type panel if they want since the alternate art cards have huge pieces of art, so they can do so if they wanted a TIE advanced prototype ship.

nilstryfe
Dec 22, 2004
Hong Kong Cavalier
The TIE /fo is a TIE fighter(/ln), but TIE Advanced Prototype (V1) isn't a TIE Advanced. However, TIE Advanced X1 (Prototype) is a TIE Advanced.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

hoiyes posted:

Except you have to shoot first, so to stop an ace shooting you're gonna need a faster ace to shoot, which is a big points investment for 0 damage, outside the TieD (and very likely the M3A will get some kind of patch to make it work)

Roark, the scum reverse roark, swarm tactics... i mean its not that hard to shoot before an ace if you wanted to.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

zVxTeflon posted:

Roark, the scum reverse roark, swarm tactics... i mean its not that hard to shoot before an ace if you wanted to.

There are a lot of moving pieces to make a non-damaging 3-dice attack work. You're not going to send Fel into rocks unless he's tokenless and without his friend Palpatine.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

nilstryfe posted:

The TIE /fo is a TIE fighter(/ln), but TIE Advanced Prototype (V1) isn't a TIE Advanced. However, TIE Advanced X1 (Prototype) is a TIE Advanced.

Yeah

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Tekopo posted:

VESSERY OUTMANEUVER BUDDIES
This is an hilarious list

100 points

PILOTS

Colonel Vessery (40)
TIE Defender (35), Tractor beam (1), Outmaneuver (3), TIE/D (0), Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

Omega Squadron Pilot (20) x 3
TIE/fo Fighter (17), Outmaneuver (3)

This isn't an amazing list but reducing two AG down to 0 and 3 AG down to 1 is pretty hilarious, especially when you can setup the outmaneuver shots with the Tractor Beam :q:
So I actually got to try this and let me tell you, it was amazing. I went against a Superdash/Miranda list and it owned! Lost only one of the FOs. I managed to tractor Miranda on a debris field in range of all my TIEs and then quickly destroyed her, then cornered dash and he was also done. TIE defender la are going to be feared, as they should :)

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Tell me if this sucks because I'll be going to a LGS championship on the 6th:

Howlrunner
Swarm Tactics
Hull Upgrade

Omega Leader
Weapons Guidance
Marksmanship
Stealth Device

Zeta Leader
Weapons Guidance
Expose
Twin Ion Engine Mk II

Zeta Squadron Pilot
Weapons Guidance
Stealth Device

100 points exactly.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
If you dumped a bunch of the more questionable upgrades you could afford a whole nother TIE fighter.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

TheHoosier posted:

Tell me if this sucks because I'll be going to a LGS championship on the 6th:

Howlrunner
Swarm Tactics
Hull Upgrade

Omega Leader
Weapons Guidance
Marksmanship
Stealth Device

Zeta Leader
Weapons Guidance
Expose
Twin Ion Engine Mk II

Zeta Squadron Pilot
Weapons Guidance
Stealth Device

100 points exactly.

Not sure about Hull Upgrade.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Anyone who takes Omega Leader without Juke and Comm Relay is crazy.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Cool, thanks. Still tweaking. First list i've actually built so it's bound to be poo poo

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I just realized that if you're behind a ship and tractor beam it you can actually push it away from you (by boosting it 1 forward), which seems like a really weird thing for a tractor beam to do.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Ojetor posted:

I just realized that if you're behind a ship and tractor beam it you can actually push it away from you (by boosting it 1 forward), which seems like a really weird thing for a tractor beam to do.

Can I use the tractor beam to push nerds into lockers?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

Heh. Also I didn't mean to come across like I have a distane for powerful builds or those who make them, just that I seem to be repulsed by those who do and who lack a particular sense of humor and then broadcast it in audio format across the world wide web.

Maybe I should just lighten up.

People who get upset over 'WAAC' lists are un-ironically the worst people to play games against/with in my experience.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

kingcom posted:

People who get upset over 'WAAC' lists are un-ironically the worst people to play games against/with in my experience.

This has been my experience as well.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Panzeh posted:

There are a lot of moving pieces to make a non-damaging 3-dice attack work. You're not going to send Fel into rocks unless he's tokenless and without his friend Palpatine.

2? Youre not going to hit Fel anyway if hes got his bag of tricks.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Ojetor posted:

This seems to be exactly what you should be using a tractor beam for, grabbing and moving things.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

kingcom posted:

This seems to be exactly what you should be using a tractor beam for, grabbing and moving things.

Yeah, but tractor beams are typically a "grab thing and bring it towards you", or maybe "swing it from side to side a bit", not "push away".

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

kingcom posted:

I was going to agree but then I remembered I complained a whole lot about playing against double pancakes when I first started playing and back then they were the ultimate WAAC list so :shrug:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Strobe posted:

I was going to agree but then I remembered I complained a whole lot about playing against double pancakes when I first started playing and back then they were the ultimate WAAC list so :shrug:

I don't think double pancakes was ever a waac list, haha.

I mean I don't sit down at a table trembling in fear of chewie/leebo or slim han/fringer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
WAAC is so funny to me because the term itself just sounds motivational.

• Locked thread