Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Oh man, the night sweats (and the random other time sweats)... my husband's looking at me like I'm crazy as I throw off all my clothes and ask him if the room feels warm, and he's perfectly comfortable in his 3 layers. I also got this rash all over my boobs, which I think is from the sweatiness... thankfully it's subsiding after 3 days (and me going braless when possible).

I've gained 33 pounds so far (now 34 wks and 3 days) and the doctor said to try to gain less than a pound a week from here on out. But I've probably been gaining 2 pounds a week for the past month and I can feel the belly growing rapidly. Even walking is getting difficult so exercising has been hard. I'm hoping baby's just having a growth spurt and this rate won't keep up. I'm getting a growth ultrasound this week (mostly to check on a fibroid) so hopefully they can estimate how big he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
It's a girl! Eek!

Also: She likes to make finger guns: http://imgur.com/PdMexO0

dopaMEAN fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 12, 2016

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Sockmuppet posted:

Don't worry, unless the nausea keeps up throughout your pregnancy, the weight-gain will level off when you go back to eating normally. Half my total pregnancy weight gain came before week 14 because I was nibbling something salty and starchy constantly. When the nausea went away and I could go back to eating regular food at regular intervals, the rapid weight-gain stopped.

This was my experience too. By the end, I actually lost some weight because everything was so compressed.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Sockmuppet posted:

Don't worry, unless the nausea keeps up throughout your pregnancy, the weight-gain will level off when you go back to eating normally. Half my total pregnancy weight gain came before week 14 because I was nibbling something salty and starchy constantly. When the nausea went away and I could go back to eating regular food at regular intervals, the rapid weight-gain stopped.

That's reassuring! Right now I only get nauseous the day after I go running.

skeetied posted:

This was my experience too. By the end, I actually lost some weight because everything was so compressed.

Wow, that's crazy! The nurse said that as long as my uterus keeps growing normally it doesn't matter if I do or don't gain weight for the next 20 weeks.

dopaMEAN fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 12, 2016

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Checking in because I realized only last week that I hadn't "graduated" myself from the Trying to Get Pregnant thread to the actual Pregnancy thread, and spent part of the last week catching up (somewhat, still skipped a couple years worth of posts).

I won't list out our entire story (which can be found in the other thread if you really want to know) but it's been a long journey to get here. Two ectopic pregnancies (one of which resulted in the loss of a tube and the near death of my wife), one chemical pregnancy, various fertility treatments, one year and three rounds of IVF. But all of that has now lead to my wife being pregnant with our first baby girl, due on June 10th. :)

She's at 19 weeks this Friday, and she's getting bursts of energy (followed by bouts of exhaustion). But she's trying to direct her bursts of energy into getting the nursery ready. I'm doing whatever I can in between work to do all of the things around the house she can't (laundry, dishes, etc.) because, as someone posted waaay earlier in this thread, at least it's something I can be doing.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Growth scan today showed that baby is already 6lbs 8oz (almost 35 wks), putting him at 89th percentile for size. He's already head down and sitting quite low, and has a lot of hair. I'm pretty nervous about potentially popping out a ten pounder... we're going back in for another scan in a month but I'm kind of hoping he comes early at the rate he's growing.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Hi_Bears posted:

Growth scan today showed that baby is already 6lbs 8oz (almost 35 wks), putting him at 89th percentile for size. He's already head down and sitting quite low, and has a lot of hair. I'm pretty nervous about potentially popping out a ten pounder... we're going back in for another scan in a month but I'm kind of hoping he comes early at the rate he's growing.

My wife was at 42 weeks when they induced her. Our daughter was 9lbs 10oz and just wouldn't come out via normal means. A c-section certainly sounds scary and is a major surgery, but from my understanding, the risks are very low. In any case, my wife was up and about nearly a day and a half after the c-section, and our baby was healthy (and gigantic). Our daughter started sleeping through the night at 6 weeks, and I like to attribute that to her being big and late, but maybe we're just lucky.

Needless to say, don't worry too much. People have all sizes and shapes of babies vaginally without problem. I'm sure you'll be just fine. :)

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I had a 9 lb 11 oz baby (first/only baby) vaginally with no issues.

Plus, the ultrasound weighting is notoriously unreliable in either/both directions.

Edit: and mine didn't sleep through the night for over a year, despite giant size ;)

sheri fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 14, 2016

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Hi_Bears posted:

Unless you've been having regular growth scans, they aren't very accurate (like plus or minus two pounds inaccurate).

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

And the size of the head is a much bigger indicator than overall weight if there's likely to be issues. A baby can have an average size head and be chubbier everywhere else

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
I had a 9 lbs 5 oz baby (with a head circumference of 38 cm) a couple of months ago without any problems. No tearing, nothing. It wasn't my first baby, but my previous two were 5.5 lbs and 6 lbs. Everyone is different, so it's hard to say how things will go, but part of what helped me was that I labored down for a bit and then pushed kind of slowly so that there was time for everything to stretch. The OB also did some things to help the stretching along that I don't remember much about because gently caress pitocin. Yours might be able to help with that as well.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

All very true things. My wife had a cesarian mostly because she is tiny, our daughter's head was 15 inches, and labor was progressing way too slowly. Every baby, woman, and pregnancy is different. I didn't mean to imply that anyone in this thread is destined for a c-section. Typing quickly from my phone at lunch, and all that. :)

I found it coincidental that this was a Yahoo headline today: https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/2-foot-tall-newborn-tips-scales-at-more-than-12-175647567.html

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Slightly random question.

I'm about halfway through skimming the Blue Story e/n thread (because I have way too much free time), and I just got to a part where everyone spent pages excoriating her for eating lunch meat and got confused. When I was pregnant ~2 years ago, my OB said it was perfectly reasonable to eat lunch meat from a reputable place, because the listeria risk was relatively low with modern food practices.

Is this just a PNW thing, or are other people being told the same thing? In my own area, while I was pregnant there were listeria outbreaks in spinach, cut fruit, and hummus-- but not in lunch meat. That made my OB's advice seem reasonable.

Is this really so far out of line?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I was told no lunch meat without heating it to steaming. Midwest.

Candycanes
Apr 7, 2007
NHS recommendation in the UK is that meat which has been previously cooked through is ok (ham/turkey breast etc) but meats which have been dried or cured need to be cooked through.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Japan has no restrictions. They even served sashimi in the hospital.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

I was also told no lunch meat unless microwaved to steaming (northeast).

Dori
Jan 14, 2005
Abducted by sheep

I was just shy of 12 pounds when I was born at 41+3 and my poor mum had me naturally with very little pain meds (she has a blood condition which means most drugs aren't an option). She clearly wasn't a huge fan of the experience given I'm an only child but she also doesn't talk about it as a huge trauma in her life. So slightly crazy births clearly do happen. I hope my future children will be more reasonably sized though. :(

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I'm guessing she had some untreated/ uncontrolled gestational diabetes going on

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
I had an appointment less than a month ago where I was told no sandwich meats without heating them until they're steaming (south-eastern US). Maybe it's something that's changed recently? I know the list of things I can't eat or drink is definitely different from when I had my daughter 10 years ago.

Unrelated but we had our anatomy scan last week and we're having a boy! Whoever mentioned earlier to just enjoy the level 2 scan was right, it was incredibly cool, and I was advised that they're not concerned about the lamictal at all.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
I was told that lunch meat from reputable restaurants is fine. My OB recommended getting it freshly sliced to be safe and to avoid any that had been sitting out sliced.

On the big baby front, I've had a 7 lb 11 oz / 20" baby with a 99th percentile head and a 10 lb / 23" baby with a 60th percentile head and I'd take the second one over the first any day. I definitely didn't have GD, so that might play into it too.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
My appointment last week told me must be steaming. Also told me no cold salads that are pre-made. Listeria risk is as serious as you want to make it. The consequences are real and tragic, but the possibility is low. It's up to you to make that risk-benefit analysis.

Anyways, I'm already turning into a monster. I finished putting together my baby registry and found out that one of the cute cloth diaper covers I wanted just got discontinued and are on low supply, so I just went ahead and bought it for myself.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Rurutia posted:

The consequences are real and tragic, but the possibility is low. It's up to you to make that risk-benefit analysis.

This just about sums it up. With alcohol and smoking, just a little can be very bad, so it's easy to say "avoid this completely", but you could eat cold lunchmeat, unwashed vegetables and blue cheese for lunch every day for nine months and be totally fine, or you could have one slice of cured meat that happens to have bad bacteria on it, and end up with a dead or severely disabled baby. Educate yourself thoroughly on what the risk factors are, and make decisions you're comfortable with.

A big thing you do need to do is check out the situation if you're travelling abroad, even to other first world countries. In France the infection rate for Toxoplasmosis is much higher than in Norway, where I'm from, thus the risk of catching from food goes way up. When we visited, I was much more careful about salads and such than at home.

(Being pregnant in France turned out to be my personal hell - I could have NONE of the foods I love most about going there, also no wine! Never again.)

nissu
Apr 29, 2014
Hi thread, I started reading this from the very beginning after we found out I was pregnant, and look where we are now! I'm 26w1d already.. I'm a slow reader and English isn't my native, so forgive me.

This thread has been very helpful and I try not to ask the same questions again and agan, that I saw about 200 pages back. But I think there are some issues that hasn't been brought up yet.

My pregnancy has been pretty uneventful - but very painful. It started with loads of infections back to back and on top of each other, then there was a little accident with our 66 pound dog stomping over my tummy (gladly it was on fairly early stage, so no harm done there, just a bit of a scare). Now a few weeks back I started to have these lower back pains, that were diagnosed as my sacroiliac joints getting softer and loose. Those aches quickly subsided to give way to more serious pain lower - in my right buttock. My uterus is tilted to the right, so maybe that is one cause for the pain to be only on my right side. One physiotherapist told that it's a sciatic nerve pain.
Has anyone else had this when they were pregnant?

The pain it causes is killing me.. I can't sit (well, I can but then I cannot get up) and I can't put my own pants on as I cannot bend down and lift my foot at the same time. And the worst part is I cannot take any pain meds that would help as only Paracetamol (Tylenol?) is accepted while pregnant and that does nothing for me. I cannot predict which movements causes the pain because sometimes some movements cause it and the next minute the same movement is ok. My husband has been a lifesaver and I'm forever in debt to him as he helps me to dress and undress any pants that I wish to put on/take off.

I would love to enjoy this pregnancy, as it is my first, but the pain is bringing me down and I don't feel connected to this little guy inside me. I'm afraid that if the pain continues I start to loathe the baby because of it :( There has been a lot of good moments too and for example I haven't been sick at all, just a little nauseous in the early weeks that always stayed in control when I was eating, so a lot of cracker nibbling happened. I also love to feel his movements, except when he's kicking my cervix, but gladly that hasn't been happening every day.

Please tell me that the sciatic nerve pain will subside BEFORE the baby is born. I'm horrified that I would have to suffer this for 14 weeks or more!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Sciatica was, for my wife, *awful*. Ended up switching which side she was sleeping on, deep tissue massage every night before bed, different sitting positions, limping around a lot.

It has *mostly* gone away, but definitely not till the baby came. If the baby shifts significantly, it might lessen how bad it is, but sorry to say, it's probably going to keep going till the baby. Do whatever it takes to keep going and be comfortable, and ask your husband for help doing so.

nissu
Apr 29, 2014

silvergoose posted:

... If the baby shifts significantly, it might lessen how bad it is, but sorry to say, it's probably going to keep going till the baby.

Exactly the answer I didn't want to hear, but what I was kind of expecting :(

My GP put me on a sick leave for the rest of the week - no sitting allowed, just walking and lying down, putting cold packs and trying massage to my buttock. I really hope that these new instructions will at least give me some kind of relief from the worst pains.

I have the two hour glucose-test next week and I'm not going to be stading upright the whole two hours, so keep your fingers crossed that I would be able to sit down then.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I would do as much bath time or floating in a pool as you can muster as well as massages. Floating really helped alleviate the pain I had in my rib cage.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I noticed that the IRC channel in the OP is dead. Is there another one? I had a meltdown yesterday and am realizing that I need another outlet besides my husband. I'm the first in my close friend circle (and several of them are childfree) and I don't feel comfortable talking about this with people who haven't been through it.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

There's a Facebook group!

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Clicked Join, who do I PM my email to?

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

nissu posted:

Please tell me that the sciatic nerve pain will subside BEFORE the baby is born. I'm horrified that I would have to suffer this for 14 weeks or more!

I can't, unfortunately, BUT I can reassure you that for me, at least, the sciatica pain went away completely with the birth - as soon as nothing was pressing on the nerve anymore, the pain disappeared, and hasn't been back. So you might have to suffer this for 14 more weeks, but hopefully that'll be the end of it.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Oh hey, just when I come in here to see what I can do about by back pain...

It sucks. And I'm only 14 weeks! The man's been great with....doing everything, cause any attempt at doing anything has resulted in back spasms so bad all I can do is curse like a sailing whorehouse. Sucks to find out there's no real wisdom from others about how to make it better.

That said, according to the ultrasound, little bugger has as big of a head as their dad (all head at this point), and already active enough that I'm dreading the "just wait till I can feel them moving" stage. It took like 10 times for the tech to capture enough of the heartbeat cause every time they started, little sucker would move.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Rurutia posted:

Clicked Join, who do I PM my email to?
Just ask in the group for an invite...it's actually a gateway group for the real group (we kept getting people from Southern Australia joining and being very confused). A mod will either ask for your email in a PM or friend you to invite you.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

AA is for Quitters posted:

Oh hey, just when I come in here to see what I can do about by back pain...

It sucks. And I'm only 14 weeks! The man's been great with....doing everything, cause any attempt at doing anything has resulted in back spasms so bad all I can do is curse like a sailing whorehouse. Sucks to find out there's no real wisdom from others about how to make it better.

That said, according to the ultrasound, little bugger has as big of a head as their dad (all head at this point), and already active enough that I'm dreading the "just wait till I can feel them moving" stage. It took like 10 times for the tech to capture enough of the heartbeat cause every time they started, little sucker would move.

You should talk to your doctor about this. Physical therapy or some sort of brace might help you out. You don't want to be living with that for another 26 weeks, if it can be avoided.

elle vee
Apr 16, 2003

thank you, ma'am!
Does anyone have any tips or books to recommend about sleeping strategies for an 8-week old?

JustAurora
Apr 17, 2007

Nature vs. Nurture, man!
Lame first world problem etiquette question:

I had my baby shower 3 weeks ago. My best friend was the recorder for presents, and she let me know that her gift of Burt's Bees baby lotion was just so I had something from her to open at the shower and she was really going to get me the playmat from my registry. We went out the next night for dinner and she wanted to double check my address (I live out of state now) to make sure it shipped to the right place since she was ordering it off amazon because it was cheaper. I flew home and figured her gift would come in 8 - 10 days. A week later was the huge east coast winter storm and we didn't get mail at all for 5 days. The gift still has not arrived, but I feel weird about texting and being all "Did you send the gift and it got lost in the mail/stolen from my porch/whatever, or have you not sent it." I really don't want to look like I am expecting her to give me anything, and if she changed her mind and doesn't want to send the gift I really don't care, it's just I'd like to make sure it wasn't stolen or anything. What would y'all do?

elle vee, I'm pretty sure at 8 weeks the only "strategies" that you can do are see if they need changing, feed them, burp them, try to get them to sleep again. I don't think sleep training and such are supposed to be tried before about 4 months.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

elle vee posted:

Does anyone have any tips or books to recommend about sleeping strategies for an 8-week old?

Swaddling is really the only thing that really worked for us for the first 3months- we used the Halo sleep/swaddle sacks. We also ended up getting a Rock and Play and that was super helpful for naps but we didn't have the baby sleep there during the night.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

JustAurora posted:

Lame first world problem etiquette question:

I had my baby shower 3 weeks ago. My best friend was the recorder for presents, and she let me know that her gift of Burt's Bees baby lotion was just so I had something from her to open at the shower and she was really going to get me the playmat from my registry. We went out the next night for dinner and she wanted to double check my address (I live out of state now) to make sure it shipped to the right place since she was ordering it off amazon because it was cheaper. I flew home and figured her gift would come in 8 - 10 days. A week later was the huge east coast winter storm and we didn't get mail at all for 5 days. The gift still has not arrived, but I feel weird about texting and being all "Did you send the gift and it got lost in the mail/stolen from my porch/whatever, or have you not sent it." I really don't want to look like I am expecting her to give me anything, and if she changed her mind and doesn't want to send the gift I really don't care, it's just I'd like to make sure it wasn't stolen or anything. What would y'all do?

elle vee, I'm pretty sure at 8 weeks the only "strategies" that you can do are see if they need changing, feed them, burp them, try to get them to sleep again. I don't think sleep training and such are supposed to be tried before about 4 months.

Your friend felt comfortable telling you that she was going to be shipping you something, it's okay for you to follow up with her about it. I'd just drop her an e-mail saying, "Because of the snow, some of our mail has been really screwed up. When we last spoke, I know you talked about shipping something to me. If you have, let me know the tracking number because it may be lost." It's better to be open with her. You don't want her stewing about how you never sent a thank you card, while you wonder about whether she'll send a gift.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

elle vee posted:

Swaddling works well with our six week old. I've only used the Halo Sleepsacks, but they seem to do the trick.

So far the wife and I have been more or less following the advice we found this article. This is our first baby, so only time will tell if it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elle vee
Apr 16, 2003

thank you, ma'am!
Thanks very much for the advice ladies! I guess I should have specified that nighttime sleeping is fine- she's swaddled and sleeping for ~12 hours with one or two feedings in the middle of the night - but she doesn't want to nap during the day.

I just don't get it, she goes down to sleep at 7pm with a usual of tired fussing, but during the day she may be yawning up a storm, but as soon as we put her in the crib she wakes up and is bopping around in there (we have blackout curtains and she has no problem self-soothing at night) until eventually she gets bored and starts crying. She'll sleep in the carseat if we're going somewhere and she'll sleep in the Ergo if we're going for a walk, and once I got her to sleep in the Rock'n'play, but otherwise she will not nap.