Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Kild posted:

Last we saw he got his rear end handed to him by something.

He got sucked into the gravity of a floating island planet (?), not quite the same thing

It's weird that kind of thing can even happen in OP without breaking the world setting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

chefscientist posted:

He's got a castle inside of him, they could be drilling and training around the clock.

What a great chapter.

Probably not a good idea for Capone to ever bring Luffy or Zoro inside his castle. It can't feel good to get your castle body destroyed from the inside out.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I know we defeated literally 100000 fishmen but we're now surrounded by like 10 dudes better just give up.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

KoB posted:

I know we defeated literally 100000 fishmen but we're now surrounded by like 10 dudes better just give up.

Uhm. those men live inside Capone "Gang" Bege's body. Do you even know what the gravity level is inside Capone "Gang" Bege's body? I thought not.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Capone's men wear weighted clothing, that's why their guns shoot harder than any other mans with guns

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

KoB posted:

These guys are the entirety of a Supernova's pirate crew surrounding a handful of Strawhats. Doesn't look like a fight a that can be won.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Capones whole body is a hyperbolic time chamber it's impossible to say how long those men's guns have been training for or how powerful they could possible be.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

KoB posted:

Eh, aside from Sanji, only the scrub-tier Straw Hats are around so whatever.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I think the idea is that Capone always has the element of surprise. Like Chopper and Nami weren't expecting dudes with guns to come bursting in because they would have heard them busting into the town or whatever. But Capone can just carry around a whole army with him all the time.

Sudden, unexpected violence being used to his advantage also fits with his whole mobster theme. I like Capone.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Spidder posted:

Doesn't look like a fight a that can be won.

This has never been a problem for them before.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

KoB posted:

This has never been a problem for them before.

With Luffy around. Without Luffy's borderline-suicidal brand of go-getterism, caution unfortunately prevails.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Chopper and Nami are always on the verge of giving up since they don't believe in their ability. Plus Nami is wearing a very expensive dress and the Strawhats already stated they didn't want to mess up the Minkmen's place any more than it already was. So they're going to hear out this offer and see whether or not it can be refused before fighting.

Also Sanji is going to get saved from his shotgun wedding only to discover his bride to be is actually a babe, but now she won't marry him.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
You guys are looking at this the wrong way. Oda was just clarifying that this is more like an ambush by an entire Supernova's crew as opposed to the usual mooks with guns. You wouldn't complain if Sanji didn't try to fight the entire Heart pirates.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Begemot posted:

I think the idea is that Capone always has the element of surprise. Like Chopper and Nami weren't expecting dudes with guns to come bursting in because they would have heard them busting into the town or whatever. But Capone can just carry around a whole army with him all the time.

Sudden, unexpected violence being used to his advantage also fits with his whole mobster theme. I like Capone.

The other thing is that Capone is a supernova because of his crew, not despite them. His strength is entirely reliant on his DF housing his crew because it doesn't have any offensive power on its own. Luffy and Zoro were supernovas because they're monstrously strong by themselves. If Sanji and co. were to try fighting back they would have been turned into swiss cheese.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Shoren posted:

The other thing is that Capone is a supernova because of his crew, not despite them. His strength is entirely reliant on his DF housing his crew because it doesn't have any offensive power on its own. Luffy and Zoro were supernovas because they're monstrously strong by themselves. If Sanji and co. were to try fighting back they would have been turned into swiss cheese.

This is a pretty good assessment. Plus, I figure it's pretty good to assume the crew of any Supernova is going to be a cut above the usual goons. They're meant to be Luffy's peers, more or less.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Can you imagine a shonen where quality/strong mooks existed and did something other than being puching bags for the heroes?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Okay, I'm sold on Capone. I wasn't before, but he's going to be a fun opponent.

The Straw Hats crashing a wedding is going to be great fun. Zou is apparently wrapped up in regards to its own story, but we've also been introduced to a load of cool new characters, and there's the issue of the samurai turning up, although maybe they'll get some sort of grudging pass for the time being like Caesar appears to have. I thought Zou was going to transition smoothly into Wano, but maybe they'll help the Straw Hats crash the wedding first.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Then they wouldn't be mooks

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Regarding Sanji's name being an elaborate pun, I defer to this video for my response.

Also, I am liking that some of the other Supernovas are finally getting some detail to them beyond the basics we got all the way back at Shabody. Capone was one that I never really thought would be anything special outside of a rather unique Devil Fruit power and a mafioso theme, but it seems that there's more to him after all.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Oda is a loving genius when it comes to hiding big things in plain sight.

In other words, :shittydog:.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Am I the only dork who gets excited when a character names their Devil Fruit after a long period of not really knowing what it is? Most of them are pretty obvious, but it's cool to figure out weird oddball ones like Capone's.

I'm still kind of confused on what exactly Hawkins and Urouge have going on for fruits though.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Am I the only dork who gets excited when a character names their Devil Fruit after a long period of not really knowing what it is? Most of them are pretty obvious, but it's cool to figure out weird oddball ones like Capone's.

I'm still kind of confused on what exactly Hawkins and Urouge have going on for fruits though.

Hawkins is probably a curse curse man or something. It's gonna be weird and specific and crazy like Law's or a JoJo stand. I can't wait :ohdear:

I don't think Urouge has a fruit, he's just really buff and from Skypiea.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Urouge has a fruit that allows him to convert the damage done to him into strength/mass.

Glad to see Capone get some more time in the spotlight. From all of the supernova's he felt the least developed, so it's nice to get some more of him.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Hawkins is some kind of fetish or voodoo doll man or something.

Capone's secret is, every one of the warriors with his noble phantasm are themselves a heroic spirit!

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
eagerly awaiting the fetish fetish man

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

Can you imagine a shonen where quality/strong mooks existed and did something other than being puching bags for the heroes?

One Piece had a bit of this already early on when a random Black Cat Pirate with an axe injured Usopp. And depending on your definition of mooks, there's Shu from the Enies Lobby arc; his name wasn't given until a later databook and I don't remember him getting any lines, but he destroyed two of Zoro's swords with his Devil Fruit power. The best example of powerful mooks in One Piece is arguably the Pacifistas, which were able to threaten all the pre-time-skip Straw Hats at once despite being interchangeable with each other.

Naruto had a few scenes where competently commanded mooks were able to hold off Obito and Madara for a while.

Recently in Fairy Tail, Natsu actually seemed to have some trouble against Zeref's soldiers. He was taking out something like dozens of them with each attack, but he seemed to be panting a bit, and maybe even taking damage, due to their sheer numbers. But then Zeref stepped in to fight Natsu one-on-one, making the issue moot.

On the :gonk: side, there was at least one time in Dragon Ball when goons working for either Boss Rabbit or the Red Ribbon Army tried to rape Bulma. I think one of the effortposts on Xibanya's blog was about what a terrible idea this was.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 14, 2016

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Ressurection F also has Freeza's army of thousands of interchangable mooks wearing most of the heroes down .

I mean, Goku and Vegeta weren't around and near the end Freeza points out Gohan's deliberately trying to take them all out non-lethally since he's such a colossal badass he could just kill them all easily, but still.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Capone is pretty personally formidable as well. Being able to shrink anything in close enough proximity to him means that he hits and takes damage like a freaking mountain.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I wonder how a Law/Capone fight would even work... if he did the Shambles move and cut up Capone's body could his men fall out of the gaps?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm calling it now, Pudding's going to turn out to be super attractive and actually a good thing for Sanji. And, in a first for him, he'll turn down/postpone it so he can keep on going with the Straw Hats until they reach Raftel.

Death Bot posted:

thats oda

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Will the crew ride in on an airship and grind diwn cables to stop Sanjis marriage that he reluctantly entered into to save his friends?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth Walrus posted:

Capone is pretty personally formidable as well. Being able to shrink anything in close enough proximity to him means that he hits and takes damage like a freaking mountain.

The stuff that comes out of him also returns to normal size after coming out. As he stated had he decided to use a canon instead of Gattling Guns on Pekoms the guy would have exploded. (Because Tiny canon ball with force of a normal one would have entered his body then turned back to normal size.)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Will the crew ride in on an airship and grind diwn cables to stop Sanjis marriage that he reluctantly entered into to save his friends?

They'll grind down Luffy's outstretched arm, does that work

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Hawkins has the voodoo-voodoo fruit?

If I were to guess I say Urouge's fruit is probably going to be called the Karma-Karma fruit for it's ability to absorb harmful damage and send an equal amount right back.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Death Bot posted:

I'm sure some mink ate the fet-fet fruit and turned into an inflation man

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Can't wait for Sanji to show up to Zou after this flashback, only to start ANOTHER flashback of how the Sanji-Ceasar-Pekoms dream team escaped Capone's castle.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I'm sure some mink ate the fet-fet fruit and turned into an inflation man

That's Luffy though?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

KoB posted:

Yeah I have to say this is how I feel as well. A bunch of characters standing around and talking about how desperate the situation is without an actual feeling for that being true.

good to see chopper and nami have finally completed their transition from important characters to an actual liability too

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah I have to say this is how I feel as well. A bunch of characters standing around and talking about how desperate the situation is without an actual feeling for that being true.

good to see chopper and nami have finally completed their transition from important characters to an actual liability too

At least they still need Nami as a navigator. Chopper just keeps getting overshadowed by other doctor/healer characters. In this chapter it was Caesar of all people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Begemot posted:

Hawkins is probably a curse curse man or something. It's gonna be weird and specific and crazy like Law's or a JoJo stand. I can't wait :ohdear:

I don't think Urouge has a fruit, he's just really buff and from Skypiea.

I really hope Urouge is from Skypeia. Wanna see if he's from the island of warriors that Enel nuked a few years back, would be a fun twist