Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

69 isn't really that old these days.

Under certain circumstances, I'm told it can be the best days of your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Alas, it is winter.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

raditts posted:

I can't imagine anyone wanting more than half an hour, tops.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

blue squares posted:

No one's going to cancel a show because it makes fun of the network

If anything making fun of something just makes people more aware of the thing they're making fun of. I guarantee you that your average 30 Rock viewer is a lot more familiar with GE than other similar companies just because of the jokes the show made about it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Even after they sold NBC, the first thing I thought of when GE decided to move it's corporate headquarters to Boston was "30 Rock". That is some powerful advertising.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

Sounds like a show I need to pick up, then.

If the first episode doesn't grab you, try the second. I think it shows off the premise and tone of the show a bit better. My favorite from the first season is the sixth episode "Gavel"

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Rocksicles posted:

Alan Rickman died, just announced...

Snape, we hardly knew ye R.I.P
2016 is ruined, just stop it and start over from the top, please.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

There's a lot of early-baby-boomer celebrities approaching death age. It's going to be a pretty regular thing.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

DivisionPost posted:

From what little I (half-heartedly) gathered, it's opt-in. It's also considered a somewhat laughable metric for measuring viewership, even moreso than Nielsen. So as far as I'm concerned, a lot of this is NBC being NBC (and for that matter, Comcast being Comcast). They're screaming "REMAIN CALM! ALL IS WELL!" as the Homecoming parade descends into anarchy around them.

Having said that, I always viewed Netflix keeping their numbers close to the vest as a double-edged sword; on one hand, this reduces the number of outside factors pressuring them to cancel a good show -- or an experimental show with a passionate fanbase -- whose numbers might not be there. I don't think Sense8 gets a second season in a world where Netflix releases its data. In this world, it's expensive as poo poo and several critics don't know what to make of it, but the people that love it really loving love it, will flock to social media to announce how much they love it, and are guaranteed to re-up with Netflix when the next season rolls around.

What outside factors are you talking about? I seriously doubt there is anyone with an opinion that matters to Netflix that does not have access to the viewership data.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Fooz posted:

There's a lot of early-baby-boomer celebrities approaching death age. It's going to be a pretty regular thing.

69-year old celebrities dying from cancer though, that seems to be an unusual one that's happened three times in the last couple weeks.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Alan Rickman, more like Alan RIP, man...

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Miranda Sings is getting her own Netflix show

I predict it will end up in the same spot Jessica Jones did in the TVIV end of the year poll

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

less laughter posted:

Miranda Sings is getting her own Netflix show

I predict it will end up in the same spot Jessica Jones did in the TVIV end of the year poll

I never saw the results of that poll, where'd the thread go

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Baronash posted:

What outside factors are you talking about? I seriously doubt there is anyone with an opinion that matters to Netflix that does not have access to the viewership data.

Stockholders, I'd imagine. How's it gonna look from their perspective if Netflix keeps spending hundreds of millions of dollars on a TV show that only ~1-2M people watch? Granted, the only thing likely to matter to them, like HBO, is the number of subscriptions. That's how Netflix makes its money, after all, just like ad sales (which are determined by ratings) is how traditional TV makes its money.

But you also gotta figure: we've been taught from our experiences and heartbreaks with broadcast programming that low overnight ratings are death, and we should avoid dead shows walking. It doesn't quite get through that ratings mean different things to broadcast services and premium services; Broadcast needs those numbers to be high to get the ad money that pays for these shows, while Premium just uses it as one of many measurements that determine the success of the show and focuses instead on subscriptions. But regardless of where a show airs, we assume, particularly in this era of serialization, "If nobody's watching it, it won't continue on anyway, so why should I watch?"

This is all based on anecdotal evidence, but I suspect this is part of the reason why USA renewed Mr. Robot before the first season even began (thus dodging any questions about the show's future at the network if the overnights came in weak -- which, IIRC, they did), and why most people haven't given The Leftovers a chance (kind of a bad example since critics and audiences seemed at odds over Season 1, but again, I think they were bad at the outset). I know I have trouble rolling the dice on Second Chance, and I'm a rabid Rand Ravich fanboy.

So apply that to Netflix. You take the numbers out of the equation, all you're left with is critical and social consensus. Good consensus attracts more viewers, which translates to more subscribers. (Of course, there's The Ridiculous Six, where Netflix had to brag about its numbers because it sure as poo poo couldn't brag about anything else related to that catastrophe.) Add the numbers back in, you risk "Dead Show Walking" syndrome, where the expectation of cancellation keeps new audiences away.

Again, it's all anecdotes and suppositions, and there are plenty of good reasons to make that data public. But I think it's worth considering that possible side of things.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

zoux posted:

I never saw the results of that poll, where'd the thread go
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3754622

Rarity posted:

Yeah, I guess I can. I was already planning on it seeing as it'll be needed next year, I've just been enjoying being lazy.

1. Fargo
2. Jessica Jones
3. Better Call Saul
4. Mr. Robot
5. Daredevil
6. The Leftovers
7. Rick and Morty
8. Person of Interest
9. Sense8
10. Agents of Shield
11. The 100
12. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
13. Broad City
14. iZombie
15. Bojack Horseman
16. Parks and Recreation
17. You're The Worst
18. The Americans
19. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
20. Hannibal
21. Review
22. Justified
23. Game of Thrones
24. Brooklyn Nine-Nine
25. The Knick
26. Last Week Tonight
27. UnREAL
28. Master of None
29. The Genius
30. Survivor
31. Silicon Valley
32. Z Nation
33. Veep
34. Orphan Black
35. The Flash
36. Mad Men
37. Nathan For You
38. Banshee
39. Limitless
40. The Jinx
41. Steven Universe
42. Gravity Falls
43. Community
44. Doctor Who
45. Manhattan
46. Vikings
47. Shameless
48. Rectify
49. Homeland
50. Wet Hot American Summer

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Alan Rickman's best TV role was the voice of the Renaissance Fair king on King of the Hill. I don't know if he had any other roles on TV shows, but they're probably not better than that.
It's not that simple- their ratings were on the rise before they gave a disproportionate amount airtime to a Nazi. For all the mockery about their obsession with the missing Malaysia Airlines plane a couple years back, it sure increased their viewers. So I guess Zucker decided to focus on lowest common denominator bullshit, and it worked. Ain't cable news great?

Lady Naga posted:

Sounds like a show I need to pick up, then.
It's a really funny show. I should brainstorm an OP for a thread.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DivisionPost posted:

Stockholders, I'd imagine. How's it gonna look from their perspective if Netflix keeps spending hundreds of millions of dollars on a TV show that only ~1-2M people watch?

Do you know for a fact that stockholders get viewership numbers? I doubt it, personally. At least as long as things are going well there's no reason for them to disclose that and no reason for the stockholders to ask for it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's controversial about this? JJ too high?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

zoux posted:

What's controversial about this?

Nobody said it was controversial, you're just stirring up drama now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

less laughter posted:

Nobody said it was controversial, you're just stirring up drama now.

No it's just heavily implied by your post.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Don't be obtuse. It was a joke about the news that Miranda Sings is getting a Netflix show and that getting voted into the top 10.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

What's controversial about this? JJ too high?

I really need to get around to finishing that show.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Occ got really mad about JJ, it was great.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

IRQ posted:

Do you know for a fact that stockholders get viewership numbers? I doubt it, personally. At least as long as things are going well there's no reason for them to disclose that and no reason for the stockholders to ask for it.

I doubt it too. I was referring to a hypothetical scenario where the numbers were made public. I theorized that in that case, there would be more outside pressure for Netflix to cancel low-rated but critically adored shows. Somebody asked where that pressure would come from, and I took my best guess.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Going through The Hunnit season 2 now. Why is everyone making such a big fuss over Finn, he's been a psychopathic piece of poo poo all season that murdered a bunch of people. It's getting kind of grating.

My favorite character is Miller, solely because he came out of nowhere and everyone was like "Oh hey, it's Miller!" He's like this show's version of Roy from that one Simpsons episode. Whenever he pops in to deliver a line or two my wife and I roll our eyes and go "Oh, Miller!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So now it's being reported that CBS is planning to yank all the CW content off Netflix when their contract is up in August and start their own CW streaming service. It would be priced at $2-$4 per month, not sure if this would be an addon to CBS's planned streaming services or what.

If it's ad supported, I guess that's it for me watching CW shows.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
If they're going to do this, the UI they design better be on loving point. This venture is already poised to be a tremendous inconvenience that snubs an ad-free platform with a long reach across multiple devices in favor of an ad-supported one with a significantly shorter reach. And they want you to pay an additional fee for it.

If that poo poo isn't easy to navigate and bug free, it's going to blow up in their faces real bad, and the worst part is, nobody will win.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Oh my god have fun gutting the CW's entire audience there

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
What the gently caress apparently Playing House was renewed for Season 3.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivisionPost posted:

What the gently caress apparently Playing House was renewed for Season 3.

God sometimes shows his love to us.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
12 Monkeys S2 is starting on April 18th.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Too many god drat streaming services.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Too many god drat streaming services.

It's how it's gonna be, until a major one fails.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You mean like Yahoo did?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Eh everyone expects Yahoo to fail.

But you're right, it could be just how it is from now on and we have to pay $3 bucks a month because somehow the Golf Channel scored a can't miss prestige drama.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Netflix better up their game, all they're gonna have left is their own shows.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Nah. What's going to happen is a bunch of this attempts to copy the success of netflix aren't going to have the same convenience and people are going to pirate the shows instead of adding a new subscription.
Amazon, Netflix, and probably Hulu are in a pretty safe situation as the big three. Amazon's premium subscription add-ons is a smart option, and I could see more networks trying to get deals like that with amazon.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Does anyone know how well CBS All Access is doing? I know I would never touch it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

It would be pretty sweet if I had access to CBS All Access since I pay for CBS already via Dish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

GreenNight posted:

No, the networks need to watch out because they are playing with fire. Netflix arguably has enough original programming to be worth the subscription to many people and the amount of that programming is only increasing. So, it is not likely people are going to drop the service because a few network shows disappear.

However, the network stands to lose by limiting the reach of their shows. I already thought about watching season 1 and 2 of iZombie while recording the third season as I catch up, but I'm not going to tack on a CW streaming service to do so. So, I'll continue not watching the show then. Stuff like that will happen across the board.

Their loss, peak TV and all that. There's already too much to watch, decisions on what to watch are going to largely be made on availability of content.

• Locked thread