Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Mu Zeta posted:

The $130 Baratza Encore works just fine for almost everything except espresso.

This is the right choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Murphy Brownback posted:

I'm no coffee snob but I have this http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Bistro-Electric-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B0043095WW and I think it works better than my parents' cuisinart similar to what that guy posted. I bought it about 2 years ago and it's still working fine. I especially like it because it has a glass cup thing to collect the grounds so it's a lot easier to dump them out without them clumping in the corners or whatever.

I have the same and it works great

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Got an Instant Pot, in hopes of controlling how much I spend on takeout. It will probably be better on my waistline too.

Liking it so far, even though I'm struggling with the seasoning :downs:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Trabant posted:

Got an Instant Pot, in hopes of controlling how much I spend on takeout. It will probably be better on my waistline too.

Liking it so far, even though I'm struggling with the seasoning :downs:

Got the same one on a black Friday deal from Amazon, since getting it my wife and I have made dinner far more frequently than before. Its great for two people because most recipes result in enough food for 2-3 dinners.

Only drawback I've noted so far is calculating cook times from non-pressure cooker recipes - estimate too long and everything turns to mush.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

The $130 Baratza Encore works just fine for almost everything except espresso.

I use mine for espresso without issue, actually.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

Pressurized or unpressurized portafilter?

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

flosofl posted:

Yes it does. You just have no self control.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nephzinho posted:

It was a huge pain when I used to use it and I think I could hear it slowly die from the strain. The next model up is much better at adjusting.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

velour pads for my ath-m50x

asus xonar u7 for the same thing, since my current connection gives me a shitload of noise due to being a cheap mobo connection.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Geoj posted:

Only drawback I've noted so far is calculating cook times from non-pressure cooker recipes - estimate too long and everything turns to mush.

Haven't had that problem yet, but I've been only trying out pressure cooker-specific recipes. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before it happens.

Also, I'm a big fan of the saute function, even if it only gives you minimal control over how much heat you're applying. One less thing to wash!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Trabant posted:

Also, I'm a big fan of the saute function, even if it only gives you minimal control over how much heat you're applying. One less thing to wash!

Do you know about the adjust button? Push saute, then before it beeps and begins the function push "adjust" and the light over the "less/normal/more" setting will change.

If you need less heat than the "less" setting I'd set it to slow cook at the "more" setting, in my experience this is enough to get most things to a low simmer.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

baram. posted:

asus xonar u7 for the same thing, since my current connection gives me a shitload of noise due to being a cheap mobo connection.

Good choice! I got one at a whim and was amazed at what it did with my cheap Steelseries Siberia V2s.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Droogie posted:

I, for one, would like to hear from both of you again in like a week or two about how they're performing.

Trip report after a week of using my Cusanart grinder. It seems online reviewers are dumber than I expected. I encountered these issues:

+ It grinds fresh beans roasted by a friend
+ Uniformity is decent at fine sizes (drip)
+ Price (50bux)

- Loud
- Uniformity is poo poo at coarse size (french press)
- Extra coarse not an option (cold brew)
- Plastic bin is plastic and staticy/hard to clean
- Cup switch is pretty much inaccurate based on grams it shoots out

I am getting married in May, I am just going to put the grinder I want on the registry and maybe I can use this one for flavored coffee or something instead of my main grinder. It makes me want to get a Bonavita for when I entertain since the finer grinds aren't so bad.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Geoj posted:

If you need less heat than the "less" setting I'd set it to slow cook at the "more" setting, in my experience this is enough to get most things to a low simmer.

That's a good tip! I did use the adjust button, but found that even at low it got a little too hot for what I was trying to do. I'll give it a shot next time around.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
LaCie 2big Quadra 6TB

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I paid $500 on a car insurance deductible. It is not my favorite recent purchase

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

SaltLick posted:

I paid $500 on a car insurance deductible. It is not my favorite recent purchase

Off topic. Mods?

Sorry for your car bro.

Bathroom fan decided it didn't always want to turn on when we flipped the switch. Thing is too loud, and doesn't pull much moisture out of the air during a shower, so when I check the wiring and ducting I'll just replace it with this model that has a humidity sensor to pull more air above a set humidity level.

If only it had an odor sensor :nexus:

wigbot v2.0
Oct 10, 2008

Hales

One of these bad boys. Cheap Chinese copy, £7.

I reckon it will last about 7 days.

e - ah poo poo, timg!

wigbot v2.0 has a new favorite as of 08:46 on Jan 15, 2016

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wigbot v2.0 posted:

One of these bad boys. Cheap Chinese copy, £7.

I reckon it will last about 7 days.

e - ah poo poo, timg!

It seems to have a Taco Bell alert. That something you can't get with an apple watch.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh good, it's Fourthmeal.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Anti lost

Dial/answer the phone

Sleep moniter

Holy moly

Tev
Aug 13, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

Anti lost

Dial/answer the phone

Sleep moniter

Holy moly

Aww man I had to double-check the picture to make sure their wasn't a button labeled "Holy moly". Very disappointed.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The pedometer looks like it counts how many steps he has left until the Taco Bell app has its revenge.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I dunno I wish my watch had a Taco Bell button

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Is that like how you can text Dominos a pizza emoji and they'll deliver a pizza to you?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
What a time to live mas...

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The next Apple watch is going to have a Chipotle button and Apple's gonna act like they had the idea first

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

"Tool's"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The next Apple watch is going to have a Chipotle button and Apple's gonna act like they had the idea first

They've also bought out and renamed e. coli iColi, and have a major marketing push planned with J. Cole as the new brand ambassador.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I bought a FitBit Charge HR

I know they've come under some flack lately in terms of the accuracy of the heart-rate monitor while working out. But I've found mine to be really useful and pretty accurate in terms of the heart-rate reading. But I also have an around-the-chest monitor I use for intense exercise that's more precise. The activity/food/water/sleep trackers are great though.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Belt (also got a brown one but I can't be bothered to look up an image)

Sweatshirt

Raincoat

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
New Tshirt.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

My bad, ordered this now:

The right choice. We use this way more than the full size oven, it is a beast

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

beefnoodle posted:

New Tshirt.

:golfclap:

Brilliant.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

CaseFace McGee posted:

Off topic. Mods?

Sorry for your car bro.

Bathroom fan decided it didn't always want to turn on when we flipped the switch. Thing is too loud, and doesn't pull much moisture out of the air during a shower, so when I check the wiring and ducting I'll just replace it with this model that has a humidity sensor to pull more air above a set humidity level.

If only it had an odor sensor :nexus:

Got a link? Apparently while I was gone my guest bathroom's fan decided to crap out on me.

In other purchasing news, looks like I'll need to have a leak in my roof repaired. :sigh:

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Gave my HD 598's away as christmas present to my mum and had a bit of money laying around:

colas
Feb 14, 2007

beefnoodle posted:

New Tshirt.

Took me a minute. It's a Dune joke, right?

colas has a new favorite as of 14:01 on Jan 16, 2016

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Android Bicyclist posted:

Got a link? Apparently while I was gone my guest bathroom's fan decided to crap out on me.

In other purchasing news, looks like I'll need to have a leak in my roof repaired. :sigh:

Amazon

Hope I didn't break the link after I removed all the junk from the url. Brushless fan was a big draw for me, as well as the low noise and electricity level, and it's only about a hundred bucks if you don't want to bother with the humidity sensor. Bump up to the 100CFM model if you have a long run of ducting or if the room is bigger than ~70 square feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Link please