Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

The German RCA and Ryko (to a lesser extent) sound okay, it's only the 1999 remaster that sounds like digitally chopped garbage

I'll have to check that out and compare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

BigFactory posted:

Phish did a too on the nose and not that good cover at the Clifford Ball 20 years ago holy poo poo that was a long time ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC1Ix-4X7lg

This is makin me lmao you guys

edit: holy poo poo guitar solo
1:37-1:41 is sublime

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

The cover of Space Oddity that was made in actual space is a perfectly fine cover version as well, even if there's nothing particularly transformative about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaOC9danxNo

Action Man
Jan 31, 2007

So now that I've listened to the whole album I'm reminded of this from when The Next Day dropped, and its kinda heartbreaking:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ALFbrot posted:

This is makin me lmao you guys

edit: holy poo poo guitar solo
1:37-1:41 is sublime

I just really like Trey's big jeans.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
I guess Bowie at the Beeb is being reissued on vinyl next month, which is great because my bootleg version sounds like garbage.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Beck's "re-imagining" of Sound & Vision is kind of fun to watch once, but its about 3 mins too long and not at all something I'd want to listen to regularly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyO5MRTbL2s

Also, this is probably too obvious to need mentioning, but if you haven't heard any of Seu Jorge's covers, you really should check them out. Here's my favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spctmJo9BPg

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
I've been looking through a few covers myself over the past few days. That one Bowie cover album We Were So Turned On that the A Place to Bury Strangers cover of "Suffragette City" had an interesting "Ashes to Ashes" cover by Warpaint. There's also a BBC live cover, but it shows the failings of the band and how dependent they are on the studio to fix their vocals.

One thing I wonder now is whether Milky Edwards will finally reveal himself.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Millions posted:

I guess Bowie at the Beeb is being reissued on vinyl next month, which is great because my bootleg version sounds like garbage.

Is the cd version hard to find or something?

Ok, guess it is.

George Pooshoes
Nov 5, 2006

The Universe is Beautiful.
Something like... a new woman that I was going to date. You're dark, and you're massive, and you have a black hole.

Action Man posted:

So now that I've listened to the whole album I'm reminded of this from when The Next Day dropped, and its kinda heartbreaking:

Listening to new Bowie for the first time

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Jkv1cs6PE

Every man has a black star
A black star over his shoulder
And when a man sees his black star
He knows his time, his time has come

Black star don't shine on me, black star
Black star keep behind me, black star
There's a lot of livin' I gotta do
Give me time to make a few dreams come true, black star

When I ride I feel that black star
That black star over my shoulder
So I ride in front of that black star
Never lookin' around, never lookin' around

One fine day I'll see that black star
That black star over my shoulder
And when I see that old black star
I'll know my time, my time has come

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
Blackstar was also released on Elvis' birthday....

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I finally got around to listening to the new album last night. Initial impression is that it's quite good, it's really impressive how good it is and how fresh it sounds. Title track and Lazarus were obvious standouts. Only track I don't really enjoy is Sue (or in a Season of Crime). Can't really imagine a more graceful end to an incredible career, and I'm still struggling to think of ANY other modern musician who's had a career that can rival Bowie's longevity and sustained creativity.

I'm still not familiar enough with a lot of Bowie's output from the 90s/00s to say where I think Blackstar stacks up, but at least upon my first listen it strikes me as not immediately worse than anything I've heard of his post-BTWN.

edit: Lazarus reminds me a lot of early Roxy Music, in a good way

Sharks Eat Bear fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 14, 2016

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

I can't stop listening to the Lohner remix of Bring me the Disco King. Such a fantastic song.

Blackstar easily is getting higher on my list of favorite Bowie albums. It really is his Swan song and goodbye to us as fans. Thank you Bowie for the love and years of sharing your beautiful talents with the world.

Black Sabas
Apr 29, 2015

danzig cat people

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010
On the subject of covers, the Dylan Howe jazz versions of the instrumental pieces from Low and Heroes are sublime and brilliant:

https://dylanhowe.bandcamp.com/

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/jul/10/dylan-howe-subterranean-bowies-berlin-review

I wouldn't exactly call them covers but they are wonderful arrangements and reworkings of the best ambient work Bowie did, and I believe the man himself really liked them too.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Mike Garson put out an album of Bowie tracks called The Bowie Variations that's him playing jazz piano to the rough structure of Bowie songs and it's really, really good.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Midge Ure cover of Man Who Sold the World is pretty great.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Adam Rudegeair did an album of jazzy Bowie covers that I really enjoyed, too.

https://adamrudegeair.bandcamp.com/album/the-bowie-project

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

He's got a constellation now.

http://www.psfk.com/2016/01/david-bowie-tribute-constellation-ddb-brussels-studio-brussels-mira-public-observatory.html

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Creature posted:

It's interesting that quite a few brilliant artists/bands from the 1960s and 70s hit their creative lows during the 80s. Was it due to the fact that so many of them had been going for 10/15/20 years by that point, and it was simply inevitable that they'd run out of steam eventually? Or was it something about that time period itself?
This also happened to Gary Numan, who was awesome in the late 70s/early 80s, increasingly poo poo in the mid 80s to early 90s, then got super awesome and has remained awesome since '94. Even he hates his stuff from that era and blames studio pressure to make things radio friendly. He practically disavows his '92 album and says it was his turning point to make sure he'd never go that route again. Incidentally, much like Bowie, he and Trent Reznor being mutual fans and influences changed Numan's music in the 90s into a darker and more electronic sound.

On a Blackstar note, can anyone parse the lyrics of Girl Loves Me? It's a great song but drat if I can make sense of the words he uses. Is that the point and it's somewhat of a Jabberwocky type thing? Or is it some kind of thick slang?

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Genius's annotations for Girl Loves Me are good, but I don't know rhyming slang or the stuff from clockwork orange, so I'm trusting it to be correct :)

http://genius.com/David-bowie-girl-loves-me-lyrics

I listened to Never Let Me Down for the first time today, and I kinda liked it. Also listened to Scary Monsters for the first time this week, and it's really good!!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
everyone shittin all over Never Let Me Down in this thread forgot one of Bowie's best tracks is on it, smh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXWa8w7yZUA

The 2008 remix was pretty rad too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojBFJkbTzaA

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Caught the video for Little Wonder on tv this morning. That is possibly the most 90s thing I've ever seen.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Gnossiennes posted:

Genius's annotations for Girl Loves Me are good, but I don't know rhyming slang or the stuff from clockwork orange, so I'm trusting it to be correct :)

http://genius.com/David-bowie-girl-loves-me-lyrics

:stare: Good god, he basically invented a language for that song. It's a hybrid of Burgess and Orwell references, Polari, Filipino and Russian slang, and bits of the stuff he made up for Outside's characters.

One of the things that really bummed me out was hearing that he and Brian Eno were finally talking about returning to Outside and potentially working on a followup. I'd been wanting that forever. Maybe Eno could still do something with it, but it wouldn't feel right without Bowie.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

:stare: Good god, he basically invented a language for that song. It's a hybrid of Burgess and Orwell references, Polari, Filipino and Russian slang, and bits of the stuff he made up for Outside's characters.

One of the things that really bummed me out was hearing that he and Brian Eno were finally talking about returning to Outside and potentially working on a followup. I'd been wanting that forever. Maybe Eno could still do something with it, but it wouldn't feel right without Bowie.

I could see this working if he pulls in a series of collaborators. That would actually make for an interesting tribute/follow-up.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

Isn't most of it just Nadsat from A Clockwork Orange? I remember reading that when the album came out and many of those words definitely fit the bill.

Edit: realized you picked up on that with "Burgess references."

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

most likely scenario is Bowie already recorded all of the vocal and sax parts for 2.Outside as well as outlined most of the song structures and progressions and has drawn up complex stage plots and designed the relevant outfits, but all of this information is encoded and Eno won't receive the key until at least 2018 when the necessary technology becomes available.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHKIUqmb41Y

I always wonder what would have happened if "London Bye Ta-Ta" had been released back in 1968? It was a pretty strong single, and it definitely was the kind of song that would have worked in his glam days.

This may be one of the first songs where I feel like Bowie is Bowie.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
What a rough week it's been. :smith:

I listened to Blackstar and watched the videos for the first time last night. What an incredible album, what a moving and inspiring final work. I thought I could keep my eyes dry through the whole thing since I did most of my crying for him at the beginning of the week, but I broke down at I Can't Give Everything Away.

A New Career in a New Town is one of my favorite songs, and I've always listened to it for strength and comfort when I've been facing big changes in my life like graduating high school, going to college, getting a new job, moving out, etc. When I heard the harmonica sample at the beginning of the song I was overwhelmed by the feeling that he was saying goodbye to me personally.

Goodbye, David.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Listening to his self-titled debut is kind of adorable now. He's singing simple generic 60s British pop tunes about tea and crumpets and it's like "Oh honey, you have no idea what's coming."

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The way he sings "because it's only me" in Love You Till Tuesday never fails to crack me up. Such glee.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Arcade Fire is putting on a Bowie tribute parade here in New Orleans in the French Quarter right now, and apparently so many people came out for it that it's shutting down the Quarter. I probably couldn't even get down there if I tried, but it's awesome that so many people showed up to pay respects :unsmith: I saw some pictures and there's like wall-to-wall people in the streets down there.

e: Here's one from like an hour ago:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 17, 2016

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Sorry if this has been asked before but for someone who never heard Bowie's music before, what would you recommend? SO far I have Rise and fall of Ziggy Stardust.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BigRed0427 posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before but for someone who never heard Bowie's music before, what would you recommend? SO far I have Rise and fall of Ziggy Stardust.
I listened to all 26 of his albums over 3 consecutive workdays this week and here's the list of my favorites/the ones that I thought were the most creative/boundary-pushing (in alpha order):

1) Blackstar
2) Diamond Dogs
3) Earthling
4) Heathen
5) Heroes
6) Hunky Dory
7) Let's Dance
8) Lodger
9) Low
10) The Next Day
11) Space Oddity
12) Young Americans
13) Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust is a good start.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

Best way is to buy a greatest hits compilation like "Nothing has changed" which covers all the way up to The Next Day (and technically Blackstar I guess). Make a note of the songs you really liked and then explore the albums they're from.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

With Bowie, you can start anywhere. Pick an album at random. If its named "Tonight" or "Never Let Me Down", pick again.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Honestly the live albums are a good way to get around the catalog while still having Ziggy material as a backbone. David Live and Stage have fans and detractors but the Santa Monica album is a Ziggy period show and I think the Reality tour album is pretty well regarded in general (I'd certainly recommend it but I also really like the Reality album).

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

screaden posted:

Best way is to buy a greatest hits compilation like "Nothing has changed" which covers all the way up to The Next Day (and technically Blackstar I guess). Make a note of the songs you really liked and then explore the albums they're from.

I really have to say this is the best way. His career is so varied that it's tough to say what you'll react to. For example, I love his Berlin stuff, but that leaves other cold. Plus, a compilation will get you Time Will Crawl and Absolute Beginners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I think you could also just do his first 4 albums chronologically. Starting from the start.

• Locked thread