Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
as we all know, weird creepy spying eyeballs are a common feature on Tatooine, Seedy Secretive Underside of the Galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Jerkface posted:

1. Jar Jar tries to steal some food from a vendor, that is portrayed as a grotesque looking practical effect, looks fine, even if the food he steals looks pretty bad (it looks like a bad practical effect! oh no!). The thing flies into Sebulba's ramen and Sebulba goes to beat up Jar Jar. Sebulba is full CGI & Jar Jar is full CGI (tho portrayed on set by Ahmed Best?) Despite Best maybe being on a set for this scene doing his acting, literally no one reacts to a loving street fight going down!

Look I don't wanna be a dick or anything but if your point is that no one at Sebulba's table reacts that's just not true

When the thing splashes into Sebulba's soup the guy across from him does a "oh what the gently caress" motion after getting splashed, and then the same sort of thing when Sebulba knocks the cups into him jumping over the table

Plus everyone else at the other table is rubbernecking the whole little tiff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmL2vnNsNc

Serf
May 5, 2011

That dude has probably seen roughly a billion droids fly by his face in his life. I also do not react when cars drive down the street in front of me.

Sebulba fight is totally valid though.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
When did tatooine become a place known for being infested with flying spy droids, I feel like I missed that detail.

You would think Obi-Wan would pick a better place to hide him and luke than apparently the flying spy droid capital of the universe.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jerkface posted:

Maybe the guy walking could look and be like "pfft, bee droid, whatever" and keep walking, or be annoyed he has to change his path, or stop a bit then keep walking. Or the people eating with Sebulba could look at Sebulba and go "wow beating up someone, nice" and go abck to eating, instead of literally doing nothing and acting like these things arent even there (because for them, they arent!)

Like if you think the intent of the Maul droid scene or Sebulba beat up scene is to show that no one cares that this is happening, then I have to take us back to the OT where a similar scene plays out and the movie actually acknowledges that it happens & then shows us that no one cares!

Greedo getting shot & Panda Boba getting his arm cut off are both 'acknowledged' by the crowd but no one gives a poo poo. IT works. No one acknowledges Sebulba or the Droid because they dont exist on the set and I dont think the extras were told what was going on.

And yet it would have been easy enough for them to slap some CGI people "acknowledging and not giving a poo poo", right over the extras. And they didn't.

Fictional or nonfictional, some things are so commonplace that people literally do not stop to acknowledge them. How would you portray that?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Serf posted:

That dude has probably seen roughly a billion droids fly by his face in his life. I also do not react when cars drive down the street in front of me.

Sebulba fight is totally valid though.

do you not react at all when a car almost runs into you? the droid literally flies infront of his face while hes walking.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Look I don't wanna be a dick or anything but if your point is that no one at Sebulba's table reacts that's just not true

When the thing splashes into Sebulba's soup the guy across from him does a "oh what the gently caress" motion after getting splashed, and then the same sort of thing when Sebulba knocks the cups into him jumping over the table

Plus everyone else at the other table is rubbernecking the whole little tiff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmL2vnNsNc

I think guy on the right probably had the best 'reaction' in the scene because he had poo poo thrown on him, but the one who is most prominent in the frame is the guy on the left who doesnt react for poo poo. While Sebulba is beating someone up, theres a guy just drinking a cup of coffee and looking around but he doesnt seem to react to whats actually happening.

I think overall, the scene is poorly directed for the bystanders, and this makes sense because they have no idea whats going on. And ppl who want to defend this can just rationalize it as 'well they've seen this before, so they will act like its sunday brunch and they are drinking coffee'. Well I think that stinks. You can react to a scene in a way that shows your understanding of whats happening while also portraying a 'dont give a poo poo' attitude. The dude who prominently drinks his coffee isnt even looking at the right spot on the ground because it was all added in post.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CelticPredator posted:

people didn't think the bread wasn't real?

The first post on this page didn't!

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Jerkface posted:

I think guy on the right probably had the best 'reaction' in the scene because he had poo poo thrown on him, but the one who is most prominent in the frame is the guy on the left who doesnt react for poo poo. While Sebulba is beating someone up, theres a guy just drinking a cup of coffee and looking around but he doesnt seem to react to whats actually happening.

I think overall, the scene is poorly directed for the bystanders, and this makes sense because they have no idea whats going on. And ppl who want to defend this can just rationalize it as 'well they've seen this before, so they will act like its sunday brunch and they are drinking coffee'. Well I think that stinks. You can react to a scene in a way that shows your understanding of whats happening while also portraying a 'dont give a poo poo' attitude. The dude who prominently drinks his coffee isnt even looking at the right spot on the ground because it was all added in post.

I totally hear you--I just come at it from the perspective of following what the film shows, and the film shows people not really giving a poo poo.

Now there's really two conclusions to draw from that:

- The characters, Joe and Jane Tattooine Table-Sitter, don't give a drat because it's shame-poo poo-different-day with this market in Mos Eisley ("Dodgson, we've got Dodgson here! See, nobody cares" to borrow from Jurassic Park)

- The actors weren't directed and literally didn't know there was supposed to be a fight

I think it's absurd to think no one told them to react, so I tend to think that they were told not to give too much of a poo poo. That seems in fitting with what Lucas would want to portray Mos Eisley as, just like in ANH.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Jerkface posted:

do you not react at all when a car almost runs into you? the droid literally flies infront of his face while hes walking.

Yeah, given the size of the droid and the size of a car, if little flying droids were as commonplace as they seem in the Star Wars universe I imagine I would give No Fucks about one flying right in front of my face. Another day on sandy shithole: the planet.

One day no one will react to these little drones zipping around either. You just get used to poo poo.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

feedmyleg posted:

I'm sure there's a Wookieepedia entry on them, but anything that would have been written about them is thrown out with the old canon. They'll probably show up in Rogue One bothering Vader by being weird campy creeps or something. I'd cast Adrian Brody as the one on the right.

Speaking of, MakingStarWars.net has some vaguely related Rogue One rumors. I guess don't click if you don't want to know anything about Rogue One? They were definitely the most reliable source throughout TFA rumor cycle.

Imperial Advisors:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Advisor

One of them was http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sim_Aloo:

quote:

Sim Aloo first appeared as an unnamed Imperial advisor in the 1983 film Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi, in which the character has no dialogue. The character, who was portrayed by Anthony Lang, went unnamed until the name Sim Aloo was used in the Star Wars Legends Star Wars Customizable Card Game pack Death Star II Limited. The name was reintroduced into the official Star Wars canon in the 2014 reference book Star Wars in 100 Scenes.

Huh.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

It's important that the clone troopers were CGI. ILM was specifically instructed not to build a physical prop out of their design. No clone trooper is ever depicted wearing a real costume. The civilian pajamas they wear on Kamino while being served empty plates and bowls for lunch are CGI. Even the pilots have transparent CGI helmets superimposed onto photographed faces.

The problem with the clone troopers in Attack of the Clones is that the mocap was not captured from actors skilled at moving the way soldiers move. They hired some actual soldiers for Revenge of the Sith, et voila. It's a learning process. It's important to make mistakes.

The clones in ROTS blow the pants off the TFA stormtroopers honestly. TFA stormtroopers have the same problem the OT stormtroopers did. They're just a bunch of extras bumbling around in plastic armor wearing hard-to-see-out-of helmets. They don't move like soldiers--hell, I'm pretty sure I've seen laser-tag matches where people moved around more effectively. I feel like the decision to go CGI with the clones makes even more sense now than it did before.

Neurolimal posted:

While I agree with your primary point (CGI excels at fake mechanical bits, expressive eyes, and fast or active movements), puppetry has actually seen a LOT of improvements from the development of mocap technology, affordable hobbyist microcomputers, and 3d printing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQyWTivri1g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vVblGlIMgw

As is turns out, crowdsourced development giving cheap technology to poor smart people results in amazing strides akin to the CGI boom. Kinect 1, Arduino, Pi, and 3d printer kickstarters have resulted in an amazing boom of tech workarounds and improvements on traditional methods.

Case in point--the Neimodians:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID2Fkse1bmg

You can see how the technology improves drastically over the course of the prequel trilogy.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 14, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The emperor's weird council guys look a hell of a lot like Nemoidians, actually, apart from being human.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Fans want these movies to look like cheap plastic things made in the 1970s because that's a lot of the charm of the originals. What I liked about them is that they ARE campy, and the melodrama is fun and exciting and romantic so it lifts the aesthetic up.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The First Order troopers not being very good soldiers is kind of the point. The First Order is a complete poo poo show. But they have the tech. Rich assholes with deadly technology and a hatred for a specific ideology/race/gender tend to be the scariest.

See Elliot Roger.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CelticPredator posted:

The First Order troopers not being very good soldiers is kind of the point.

So you'd say...they're bad on purpose?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hell yeah. But the movie, is good. So it works out! And it's cool and looks cool and doesn't feel like a director gone mad with CGI power.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Serf posted:

Yeah, given the size of the droid and the size of a car, if little flying droids were as commonplace as they seem in the Star Wars universe I imagine I would give No Fucks about one flying right in front of my face. Another day on sandy shithole: the planet.

One day no one will react to these little drones zipping around either. You just get used to poo poo.

im confident that when amazon drones are making pedestrian traffic hell on earth, and people see them every day all the time, that they will still react when one almost flies in their face. Thats nature. Its reaction to stimulus. I would say the baseline reaction in anything is to startle when something flies in your fucken face. Now maybe you're so badass, that something larger than your head and made of metal flying in your face will cause you to simply no-sell it and keep doing exactly what you were doing with no deviation, but that certainly would not be the majority reaction. And making a movie off the 1% hardcore badass who doesnt care about anything as a background extra is dumb.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I think I saw somewhere there's a capitalization error in the opening crawl. Did anyone notice this? Usually that stuff jumps out at either me or my my wife, but I don't remember it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Jerkface posted:

im confident that when amazon drones are making pedestrian traffic hell on earth, and people see them every day all the time, that they will still react when one almost flies in their face. Thats nature. Its reaction to stimulus. I would say the baseline reaction in anything is to startle when something flies in your fucken face. Now maybe you're so badass, that something larger than your head and made of metal flying in your face will cause you to simply no-sell it and keep doing exactly what you were doing with no deviation, but that certainly would not be the majority reaction. And making a movie off the 1% hardcore badass who doesnt care about anything as a background extra is dumb.

:shrug: Cool. I just don't see most people caring too much, and that's why it worked for me.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Serf posted:

:shrug: Cool. I just don't see most people caring too much, and that's why it worked for me.

you realize its not an argument about the droid itself but about something impeding the path of someone walking right? it could be anything, a child, one of those flying wattos, a rock, what matters is something appears suddenly in a pedestrians path and they dont give a poo poo. which doesnt happen IRL

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

It is the year 2050 and Episode XIII is being released. I am demanding that we return to the CGI heyday of the sequel and prequel trilogies, not this practical garbage from the second sequel trilogy and the so-called "original" trilogy. Just how George Abrams intended.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Madurai posted:

I think I saw somewhere there's a capitalization error in the opening crawl. Did anyone notice this? Usually that stuff jumps out at either me or my my wife, but I don't remember it.
I'll give you an error: there were two or three phrases written in all caps, when the other movies only have one! And only in even numbered episodes! :argh:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Keep telling yourself that haha.

Edit: @serf

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

korusan posted:

Fans want these movies to look like cheap plastic things made in the 1970s because that's a lot of the charm of the originals. What I liked about them is that they ARE campy, and the melodrama is fun and exciting and romantic so it lifts the aesthetic up.

When the movies first came out, the charm was in all the amazing, innovative special effects work that audiences had never seen the likes of before. And that was also the creator's intent. The idea that the chintziness is part of the inherent charm of the original movies is a latter-day invention. No one at the time thought the originals were chintzy-looking. That's not what made Star Wars what it is.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

We're talking about modern audiences. People are creatures of habit, and want a light extension on what they know, love, and remember. Very few were clamoring for a continuation of the prequels style.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The blue screened movie thing was popular for a little while, started with Sky Captain, if I remember correctly. But I think 300 both perfected the style and completely ruined anyone caring about it at the same time. I can't think of any pure blue screened films after that, so perhaps anything that came after flopped quite a bit?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

korusan posted:

We're talking about modern audiences. People are creatures of habit, and want a light extension on what they know, love, and remember. Very few were clamoring for a continuation of the prequels style.

I don't think TFA would have been an extension of the prequels' style no matter who was making it. Lucas himself said he would have wanted to make the new trilogy feel and look different from the previous two.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

computer parts posted:

So you'd say...they're bad on purpose?

They taught their stormtroopers to aim their weapons the same way the Empire did.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

They taught their stormtroopers to aim their weapons the same way the Empire did.

You mean by simply training them with painted wooden blocks carved to look like guns? IIRC, stormtrooper trainees are usually just instructed to make "pew pew" noises with them and estimate to the best of their ability where a real shot would have hit.

I guess that's what happens when you keep sinking your entire military budget into planet-sized death lasers.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

The blue screened movie thing was popular for a little while, started with Sky Captain, if I remember correctly. But I think 300 both perfected the style and completely ruined anyone caring about it at the same time. I can't think of any pure blue screened films after that, so perhaps anything that came after flopped quite a bit?

Favreau's Jungle Book. It's just not hyper-stylized like those.

Man, I gotta get stoned and watch Sky Captain again. I loved it as a teenager because I love serials and the Max Fleischer Superman and all that, but I'm guessing I couldn't handle it straight at this more discerning age.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Cnut the Great posted:

I guess that's what happens when you keep sinking your entire military budget into planet-sized death lasers.

They seem to be just so easy to destroy too.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Sky Captain is really great at any age and sobriety level. It's maybe the best example around that heavy, stylistic use of CGI can be incredibly enjoyable under the right story and direction.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

You mean by simply training them with painted wooden blocks carved to look like guns? IIRC, stormtrooper trainees are usually just instructed to make "pew pew" noises with them and estimate to the best of their ability where a real shot would have hit.

Eh, Stormtroopers are loyal and there's a seemingly endless supply of them, no need to train them well too.

Serf
May 5, 2011

If you ever wonder, like I once did, what happened to the guys who made Sky Captain, the answer is actually kinda sad.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/sky-captain-and-the-world-of-tomorrow/kerry-kevin-conran-what-happened/

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

feedmyleg posted:

Favreau's Jungle Book. It's just not hyper-stylized like those.

Man, I gotta get stoned and watch Sky Captain again. I loved it as a teenager because I love serials and the Max Fleischer Superman and all that, but I'm guessing I couldn't handle it straight at this more discerning age.

Well, we'll see how it works out.

Sin City both sucked, and looked like complete garbage.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I have been a senior or lead VFX artist on big Hollywood films for years. Films that nerds on this forum have spent hundreds of pages dissecting, and certain things I've personally created that have been analysed to hell.

I can tell you "we used lots of practical effects and minimal CG in this blockbuster!!" is a big joke within our industry. Directors and producers come out with it to appease the people that are most vocal about their hatred of CGI and also make up a big percentage of their target market (in my experience, they tend to be ~25 - 45). Yet, at work, when we look at plates delivered to us by the studio, most of the frame is a blue or green screen. That Force Awakens showreel is a very accurate insight into the treatment that goes into a shot. The build phase for even a mid-budget film is enormous. Force Awakens and Man of Steel, in particular, are films where the producers/directors purposely misled people into believing CGI took a back seat in an appeal to nostalgia, yet each had 1500+ shots with CGI in them.

Us VFX artists tend not to be vocal on the internet to correct misconceptions. I've seen dozens of people over the years at the various companies I've worked at browsing the SA forums. Firstly, we know a lot of the world hates us. Second, we sign contracts with extremely threatening language. Third, we're scared someone from HR is reading our posts. We work in a very secretive and paranoid environment.

Modelling, texturing, rigging, rendering and compositing technology has massively improved from the time the of PT. The technology and talent exists to create jaw-droppingly realistic imagery GIVEN THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF TIME. However there is, undoubtedly, some bad CGI out there (occasionally from the best people or companies in the business), and the number one reason for that is Hollywood producers. The amount of VFX required is increasing every year, yet budgets for VFX are going down, salaries are going down and they want shots delivered in ridiculously short amounts of time. Artists now have to deliver work in half of the time they might have had even 10 years ago, even though the complexity of the work we do and the software we use have increased enormously.

VFX is such meticulous work that no matter how good the artist is, the final product in some cases might look "off" if they're being abused by overtime and expected to deliver in an idiotic time scale (this happens on every big budget film) because Hollywood producers are scum.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

Quanta posted:

I have been a senior or lead VFX artist on big Hollywood films for years. Films that nerds on this forum have spent hundreds of pages dissecting, and certain things I've personally created that have been analysed to hell.

I can tell you "we used lots of practical effects and minimal CG in this blockbuster!!" is a big joke within our industry. Directors and producers come out with it to appease the people that are most vocal about their hatred of CGI and also make up a big percentage of their target market (in my experience, they tend to be ~25 - 45). Yet, at work, when we look at plates delivered to us by the studio, most of the frame is a blue or green screen. That Force Awakens showreel is a very accurate insight into the treatment that goes into a shot. The build phase for even a mid-budget film is enormous. Force Awakens and Man of Steel, in particular, are films where the producers/directors purposely misled people into believing CGI took a back seat in an appeal to nostalgia, yet each had 1500+ shots with CGI in them.

Us VFX artists tend not to be vocal on the internet to correct misconceptions. I've seen dozens of people over the years at the various companies I've worked at browsing the SA forums. Firstly, we know a lot of the world hates us. Second, we sign contracts with extremely threatening language. Third, we're scared someone from HR is reading our posts. We work in a very secretive and paranoid environment.

Modelling, texturing, rigging, rendering and compositing technology has massively improved from the time the of PT. The technology and talent exists to create jaw-droppingly realistic imagery GIVEN THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF TIME. However there is, undoubtedly, some bad CGI out there (occasionally from the best people or companies in the business), and the number one reason for that is Hollywood producers. The amount of VFX required is increasing every year, yet budgets for VFX are going down, salaries are going down and they want shots delivered in ridiculously short amounts of time. Artists now have to deliver work in half of the time they might have had even 10 years ago, even though the complexity of the work we do and the software we use have increased enormously.

VFX is such meticulous work that no matter how good the artist is, the final product in some cases might look "off" if they're being abused by overtime and expected to deliver in an idiotic time scale (this happens on every big budget film) because Hollywood producers are scum.

Given how much panic the writer's strike of a few years back caused, I would argue that a VFX strike (despite being very unlikely, not because it's not needed, but because the race-to-the-bottom on price and desperate need for a massive workload to stay open at all would mean there'd always be someone willing to not strike) would cripple the industry even more. The real meat of it is in the VFX that isn't obvious, that isn't in-your-face, and if moviemakers were forced to recreate that on-set, in-frame and practical then they'd have a massive meltdown.

Thanks for trying as hard as you guys do, and I hope that eventually something happens that makes the industry a non-soul crushing experience for all you artists.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Cnut the Great posted:

Case in point--the Neimodians:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID2Fkse1bmg

You can see how the technology improves drastically over the course of the prequel trilogy.

Dope, fantastic eye blinking.
Mostly I just love how noisy everything on the Star Wars sets must be, I know C3PO alone would ruin any on set sound.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jerkface posted:

you realize its not an argument about the droid itself but about something impeding the path of someone walking right? it could be anything, a child, one of those flying wattos, a rock, what matters is something appears suddenly in a pedestrians path and they dont give a poo poo. which doesnt happen IRL

"These beings with alien physiology, explicitly able to do things humans cannot (e.g. Podrace), do not act the way humans do IRL! THIS MOVIE R DUM!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

homullus posted:

"These beings with alien physiology, explicitly able to do things humans cannot (e.g. Podrace), do not act the way humans do IRL! THIS MOVIE R DUM!"

yea man, PT aliens especially CGI ones are notoriously chill which is why they never interact with their environment or anyone around them. Personally, thats my platonic ideal of an alien!

In real content here is the cool primitive saber concept art from the art book I just got

edit: there is also a storyboard for an alternate opening scene after the crawl that mirrors ANH with a star destroyer appearing overhead, but revealing a gaping wound in its underbelly and then showing that it is being tugged by salvagers, who release it into a planets gravity well where it crashes.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 15, 2016

• Locked thread