Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I have barris but no lumi and want to star up my Phasma instead of getting lumi, Phasma is already over 1/2 way to 5*. Show I stop trying to upgrade Phasma and focus on getting Lumi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's what, 25 shards? 30?

You're only setting yourself back 3 days or so. May as well just finish it.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

heh, you think you can withstand the power of my solarbeam?
Anyone played GW since the update? Twice now I've retreated only to have the previous round not happen, as if I had force-closed. Both times it happened after I had already retreated once (my fodder team going in to die worked fine).

edit: looks like it's a thing. I hate HATE when companies make undocumented changes, I wouldn't hate it that much even though GW is kinda busted as-is, but at least let us know!

oops wrong forum fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 14, 2016

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

oops wrong forum posted:

Anyone played GW since the update? Twice now I've retreated only to have the previous round not happen, as if I had force-closed. Both times it happened after I had already retreated once (my fodder team going in to die worked fine).

Just came here to post that. I was definitely able to retreat and have it save in an earlier battle, though. Dafuq?

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Mooktastical posted:

Just came here to post that. I was definitely able to retreat and have it save in an earlier battle, though. Dafuq?

I was already on the harder stages before I saw this so I couldn't really test it, only thing I noticed is I was able to retreat my fodder team as usual (mostly dead but still 1 or 2 alive), but when I tried to retreat my B-team after picking off a few guys the match completely reset (my guys were uninjured, opposing team was uninjured as well). By this limited testing I guess you can do it once? Not much info on the official forums yet. But again, HATE undocumented changes

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Mooktastical posted:

I was able to retreat as well. Maybe it only "saves" when someone on your team is dead? I was just retreating to reset a Chewbacca taunt. Either way, though.. it does make it a bit more interesting.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
I think they just make it so you can only "Save" via retreat 1 or 2 times per fight. Still, it's complete bullshit.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Mooktastical posted:

I think they just make it so you can only "Save" via retreat 1 or 2 times per fight. Still, it's complete bullshit.

it just seems very arbitrary. Why one time? Why not 3? Why not zero? Why not TELL US

Also frustrated at blowing 70 Cantina energy and no Luke Shards booo

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mooktastical posted:

Precisely why I made sure I did GW before the patch.

Today's was a loving DUESY too

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Should I buy able to buy some character bundles from the shop because I haven't seen anything for sale there in weeks

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

rabidsquid posted:

Should I buy able to buy some character bundles from the shop because I haven't seen anything for sale there in weeks

Nope they give you nothing after the initial wave of bundles. Sucks I know, because some people need more than a week to know if the want to invest in a game, but alas

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

If they were like you know, any other mobile game company they would have done a huge event for the level cap increase. Things like, all challenges open for 1/14-16. Do 25 hard modes for the next week, and get 20 characters shards of Geonesian soldiers. Do 25 hard modes, and get 25 shards of Anakin Skywalker. Spending events. Spend 300 crystals, get 50 energy. Spend 500 crystals get 100 of each energy type.

It really seems like they are half-assing this game. I don't play 7k any more, but I'm getting update/ maintenance pop notifications, WEEKLY. They always seem to be running events. I'm sure if I reinstalled Brave Frontier it would be the same with events, PAD, Heroes Charge, etc. I've brought it up before, and people say it's new but these other games are able to do events through the holidays. It doesn't take an entire team to run events, it's literally something an intern could do. Just pass it up the chain of command and have the project producer okay this poo poo. It's really starting to feel like a massive cash grab, far more than the average mobile game and it's sad because there's a fun game here.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Hell, Marvel Future Fight just spent like 2 weeks handing out 20xShards of various characters, 50xUpgrade gear-thingies (needed for upgrading most equipment) and 100 energy a day (along with a 25% cost cut in daily mission costs, which costs just 4 energy normally and will get you 3 shards/day per mission and character). Along with plenty of special character packs (get 170 shards of these three characters and a shitload of ingame cash), 3xfree "70 shards that can be used on *any* character" and the ordinary rotating daily character shards and energy pack deals (several per day).

Feels like they pushed this out the door like 6 months before it was really ready, probably to cash in on the movie release.

From the OForums:
"On January 2nd
@CG_JohnSalera wrote:
"The crystal subscriptions will return. We are in the waning days of a promotional period which is causing a hiccup in their availability. That will be resolved, likely next week. There is also no limit of purchases of subscriptions per month as I've seen indicated here and elsewhere. Unless, of course you currently have a subscription active. So the rest of this argument falls apart.""

quote:

How about a refund for the money spent to re-up before they ganked it, or compensation for the missed days? I bought a pack right before it disappeared and the daily delivered stopped when my first package expired...I'm missing about 2 weeks worth of dailies now and they keep jerking me around in e-mails. At least EA Jesse stepped up to have it looked at.

Seems like the next "big update" with actual new characters (or at least, those already ingame but AI only) is sometime in february at the earliest, really odd to not have any deals or special events or anything for a month+.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 14, 2016

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Future Fight is a good game to compare to this one. If you compare Future Fight at release with Future Fight now, 9 months later, the difference is enormous. In the beginning, developers are concerned with releasing a stable game and squashing major bugs. Events and such will come with time. That's how every single one of these games operate. If it's six months from now, and the game is still not doing much, then that would be an issue.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Well yes, that's why I'm giving them some slack, but the bug squashing isn't super rapid either... or at least not well documented (if they are doing changes without mentioning them in their official notes). Perhaps they had some weeks off around new years though, but I thought they were american and toil under their slave master's whips deep down in the data mines of EA Prime IV?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

quote:

CG_AaronNemoyten wrote:

Hey everyone,

I'm REALLY sorry that the GW Retreat change went live without any announcement.

The explanation for how that happened is embarrassing - we assembled patch notes from a list of data changes, but the GW Retreat change was a server change. Server releases are always handled separately from data releases from a technical perspective, but sometimes they happen to occur on the same day. We are going to have a meeting to discuss how we can GUARANTEE that important server change with player-facing consequences are not released without accompanying patch notes again.

I wrote something to add to the patch notes, but I'm going to let Jesse edit his own post in a few minutes, so until then here's the explanation:

The functionality of Retreat has been changed so that it behaves the same as force-quitting the app. While we understand that many players relied on Retreating as part of their strategy, ultimately there were two different ways to leave a battle that didn’t behave the same way (Retreating, and force-quitting the app). We decided that in order to keep the experience fair and consistent, we would change the behavior of Retreat to work the same as force-quitting.

-Aaron

I hope you didn't like winning GW.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Mr. Neutron posted:

I hope you didn't like winning GW.

"We decided that in order to keep the experience fair and consistent, we would change the behavior of Retreat to work the same as force-quitting."

So does this mean it will stop matching you with whale death squads since they are making them "fair and consistent"?

GW is probably still going to be regularly doable but you're going to have to spend a lot more time quitting then changing up your team/order/tactics to find that sweet spot where you don't get murderized every match.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Yea that explanation is pretty lame. That guy is being a turd in that thread as well, though can't say I blame him as the forum is a cesspool

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I've said it before GW is just not fun. And that sucks because it's supposed to be fun. For me, it's the constant healing debuffs. I personally switched it up today and went Barris leader and I finished in about 20 minutes. It's still a poo poo show at times when it's round after round with Kylo and Sid healing debuffing everything.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Zotix posted:

I've said it before GW is just not fun. And that sucks because it's supposed to be fun. For me, it's the constant healing debuffs. I personally switched it up today and went Barris leader and I finished in about 20 minutes. It's still a poo poo show at times when it's round after round with Kylo and Sid healing debuffing everything.

I enjoyed it before the change. There was strategy involved and it was doable. I would kill to have your problem though, I can usually kill Sid or Kylo before they become an issue but I always run into Phasma where her and her pals will bonus attack one of my dudes to death from full before I can get a heal off.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Zotix posted:

I've been running with luke as lead (37% tenacity - 41% in the early 60s), and it's helped a lot. If I had Barriss, I would definitely run her though. I've just unlocked Poe, the combination of those two will make for a pretty good team comp. Probably will run two healers and Sid.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

No shard farming for Leia, and they fixed her quad firing?? I'm so sad. At least I can farm my Jedi Anakin I think he's pretty good.

I've been using Chewie with Barris, I'm wondering if I should go with Poe instead, that expose is just so good, and I hear he scales better with gear and ability upgrades. With so many Sids running around Chewie's massive heal just isn't giving any rewards.

Tom Tucker fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 15, 2016

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Tom Tucker posted:

No shard farming for Leia, and they fixed her quad firing?? I'm so sad. At least I can farm my Jedi Anakin I think he's pretty good.

I've been using Chewie with Barris, I'm wondering if I should go with Poe instead, that expose is just so good, and I hear he scales better with gear and ability upgrades. With so many Sids running around Chewie's massive heal just isn't giving any rewards.

Good thing they left her proc broken then lol

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Jibo posted:

I enjoyed it before the change. There was strategy involved and it was doable. I would kill to have your problem though, I can usually kill Sid or Kylo before they become an issue but I always run into Phasma where her and her pals will bonus attack one of my dudes to death from full before I can get a heal off.

I don't know. My Kylo has 11.2k health, and I never really use him. I'm sure a 7* one would have about 12.5k health. Good luck chewing through that if he's not stunned. He counter attacks everyone and applies the healing debuff. Along with Sid, half your team always has a healing debuff. They may not even be the priority targets too. If the team has a Daka, or even a Leia or FOTP I'm going to have to kill them first. When your team power gets up there, GW becomes such a loving slog.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

The main thing IMO is you can't make a huge change like that without compensating in other ways. The guy admits they know there is an issue with GW scaling, so why not save this "fix" until you have that figured out as well? Unless the real goal is to make GW not finishable 100% of the time for a big chunk of users (which I think might be the truth)

There is a TON of backlash on this though so I wouldn't be surprised if they reverse the change.

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Buy 1 get 1 bottle of Lysol FREE!
Just found this game, Im a huge fanboi, my ally code is 979-723-263

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Mooktastical posted:

Good thing they left her proc broken then lol

I don't know what you're talking about and certainly don't know why I still run her even though she's 2 stars :ninja:

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Tom Tucker posted:

I don't know what you're talking about and certainly don't know why I still run her even though she's 2 stars :ninja:

"Against All Odds" is supposed to have a base proc chance of 25%. It's 100%, both before and after the patch. Best abused with Poggle and Phasma, imo.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

oops wrong forum posted:

Yea that explanation is pretty lame. That guy is being a turd in that thread as well, though can't say I blame him as the forum is a cesspool

Those messageboards are beyond obnoxious. Everyone there is a jackass.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
Jesus I can't believe the backlash over the GW gimp. There's no way that's worse than waiting till everyone spent $50 on Bariss, only to nerf her to the point where she was really only useful in GW. After that, why would you ever expect them to play fair?

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Great, so much for the guaranteed 1,100 or so GW credits per day. Maybe they'll give us something to help with the almost impossible last few stages, like allowing supporters or increasing healing between stages. They could even make it so that characters that you didn't use to clear a stage get healed back full, which would encourage using a variety of teams instead of everyone just using their A-Teams and filling up the GW with Sid / Lumi / Kylo Ren.

Brian Fellows posted:

Jesus I can't believe the backlash over the GW gimp. There's no way that's worse than waiting till everyone spent $50 on Bariss, only to nerf her to the point where she was really only useful in GW. After that, why would you ever expect them to play fair?

I can actually understand the Bariss thing. I've seen it before in other games and I know better not to pile on to get some OP character because if it causes too much of a balance issue, they're either going to nerf it or turn up the power creep to compensate. The GW thing isn't a competitive issue, like an OP character in Arena would be. It's an issue with how the game itself is played, and it feels unfair because the whales are holding the non-whales back indirectly. The whales are going to have an advantage in direct competition, that's fine, and it's fine for them to have an easier time in single player stuff like GW or whatever. Non-whales not being able to clear content because they run into whales' teams just seems unfair, that's all.

Mezzanine fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 15, 2016

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
...If you full clear GW you get crazy amount of stars for Phasma, Lumi, etc. That also gives you a huge advantage in PvP. I get what you're saying, but not everyone that's into this game reads online forums or guides on the game and realizes that, for some reason, you could retreat and have it keep cooldowns and damage static on your enemies while your characters are totally reset.

I just don't get why everyone's expectation is that they should be able to clear GW every day just because they always have been able to. Isn't the point of games to challenge you?

Though yeah, I'm on the same page of thinking there needs to be some kind of balance/check. I've been maxed level for days, but playing teams that have every pay-to-win character starred up to near max in my seventh GW match of the board doesn't seem very cool. At least make that team the last team I have to play for the day, not a team I absolutely need to beat to get my bare minimum daily Lumi fix.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
The #1 on our server now has a 7* Leia. This used to be such a soft server, who let the whales in?

e: on the plus side, I finished 4th, and only cost me an extra 50 crystals...I started around 30, lost two battles thanks to Poe and some really bad luck. With 3 wins I made it to 11, and was pretty sure I could take down 4.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 15, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I think the problem is that there's no real challenge to certain GW fights. You can brute force win or lose now. That's not very strategic.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Malgrin posted:

The #1 on our server now has a 7* Leia. This used to be such a soft server, who let the whales in?

Occasionally they spring out of nowhere. I just killed one on my best run ever. Surprisingly I maintained rank over night and started my climb from #13 today, we have very few whales but I managed to knock down one from #5 with his *6 Qui-gon, Leia, Obi-Wan, Kylo, Lumi team, then just :hellyeah: #1 with :02 left in the match. Guy was 24K to my 19K with his 7* Bariss leading, FOTP, JC, Lumi and Jedi Guardian (?). My team stinks as I have said before, 5* Phasma, 5* Lumi 5* Sid 5* JC and 4* Bariss, wasn't able to take out his FOTP before he offed my Sid, but Lumi is OP and her Ability Block does way too much damage, I won mostly on that alone since I had no Sid for decent damage, and his team is obviously built to stall out and let FOTP do the work. Without him he couldn't hit hard enough to knock out anyone with all the heal I have. First #1, I'm sure I'll get pecked down fast since my team is bad on D but I got the rewards baby!

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

I think the problem is that there's no real challenge to certain GW fights. You can brute force win or lose now. That's not very strategic.

Bingo. I'd rather they kept Retreat as it was, but nuked Force Quit somehow.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

oops wrong forum posted:

the forum is a cesspool

So here I did a full GW on the "new patch" I lost 1 toon, Daka, in the final battle only because I chose to Ice Sid with Lum instead of heal and she was killed immediately after by Vadars culling blade, then his basic when she revived,lol. I marched through 9 strait 6-7* purple 60's, just as I typically do every GW. The difference was instead of having fun doing it, but doing attack in waves and strike teams with the collection I had. It was a simple make a team to beat the AI and go. Basically arena that you see the whole team first on, boring.

To all you whales and spenders.(I consider myself no whale but moderate spending at over $1,500) Who the bloody heck cares if F2P and such had a crutch in retreat? It was part of the game and they used it to better themselves. The extra tokens they get to help get some shards is not really a big deal, nor is the whopping 1 random shard as reward on completion. Now if the prize was 1--12 random shards plus the 400 tokens to get 5 more the mats ect, sure maybe gripe, but come on the prize is nothing big and we all only get 1 go a day so why take away something, that even with using it, many still failed to complete? It just is not cool.

oops wrong forum
May 21, 2002

Davethulhu posted:

So here I did a full GW on the "new patch" I lost 1 toon, Daka, in the final battle only because I chose to Ice Sid with Lum instead of heal and she was killed immediately after by Vadars culling blade, then his basic when she revived,lol. I marched through 9 strait 6-7* purple 60's, just as I typically do every GW. The difference was instead of having fun doing it, but doing attack in waves and strike teams with the collection I had. It was a simple make a team to beat the AI and go. Basically arena that you see the whole team first on, boring.

To all you whales and spenders.(I consider myself no whale but moderate spending at over $1,500) Who the bloody heck cares if F2P and such had a crutch in retreat? It was part of the game and they used it to better themselves. The extra tokens they get to help get some shards is not really a big deal, nor is the whopping 1 random shard as reward on completion. Now if the prize was 1--12 random shards plus the 400 tokens to get 5 more the mats ect, sure maybe gripe, but come on the prize is nothing big and we all only get 1 go a day so why take away something, that even with using it, many still failed to complete? It just is not cool.

I don't think whales were the ones complaining, at least not from what I see on the forums. A big chunk were just babies who wanted to play "pure" and belittled anyone who played differently than they did and made a LOT of noise. Joke's on them because CG just validated force-closing by making it the norm. The other bunch, from what I've read so far, are just saying to try the new format before crying murder, which I actually agree with because I think people's completion rates won't be as bad as everyone is predicting (lots of people finished GW before the update even took place so have no real experience with it). But I think it's really bad form to do it unannounced, and not to address some of the matchmaking issues with GW before doing this.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
F2P phone game developers often make questionable design decisions in the interest of driving people towards spending money. I'm not going to claim to know why they changed it but hopefully if people complain enough they'll at least address the matchmaking issues and maybe even revert the change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Spending money won't save you in GW unless you're spending enough to get a 7 starred team that can go up against the other super whale super teams and I dunno what the hell you are supposed to do if you get 2-3 of those teams in a row towards the end. You can't out heal high level dps, or stall long enough (due having too much dps yourself).

• Locked thread