Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Welcome 2 the Internet of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
well thanks, hopefully that does the trick

I have a hell of a lot of startup tasks too, I need to clean that poo poo up

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Silver Alicorn posted:

well thanks, hopefully that does the trick

I have a hell of a lot of startup tasks too, I need to clean that poo poo up

install Linux

then nothing will start lmao

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I'm still evaluating Linux for these soft phone computers

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

yeah okay so if you ever launch media center it puts in a task scheduler job to wake your computer in the middle of the night to download updated OTA tv schedules even if you don't have a tuner (Michael$$$oft) so you have to go in to task scheduler under Microsoft/Windows/Media Center, find the mcupdate or mcupdate_scheduled job and either edit it so it can't wake your computer or delete it.

i had this too, danke :tipshat:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
if i upgraded my win7 to win10 can i safely delete windows.old?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Panty Saluter posted:

if i upgraded my win7 to win10 can i safely delete windows.old?

if you are ok with never going back (or took a disk image or something pre-upgrade)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
also, you can use the disk cleanup wizard or whatever to have it do it for you and also remove whatever install-related temp files got left behind (i don't think thats really a problem these days tho)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Raluek posted:

if you are ok with never going back (or took a disk image or something pre-upgrade)
after 30 days you can't go back anyway

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Raluek posted:

its been like six months, i dont think i even can at this point

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Hi everyone

I have a mac pro downstairs that all it does is run plex, sonos library and serve files over afp. lately this thing has been lovely and I force reboot it once a day to resolve because I don't care. But I'm getting tired of doing that. It's running 10.6.x. So tell me what I should do:

1. throw it in the trash and get a mac mini
2. wipe OS part and reinstall 10.6.whatever
3. wipe OS part and install el capitan
4. wipe OS part and install gentoo

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Hi everyone

I have a mac pro downstairs that all it does is run plex, sonos library and serve files over afp. lately this thing has been lovely and I force reboot it once a day to resolve because I don't care. But I'm getting tired of doing that. It's running 10.6.x. So tell me what I should do:

5. wipe os part and install latest os x, and then sell it on ebay. and get an intel NUC instead of a mac mini

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Hi everyone

wipe OS and install windows.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Shaggar posted:

wipe OS and install linux.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
he already has a Linux and it doesn't work. you need windows if you want things to work especially file shares

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

fishmech posted:

5. wipe os part and install latest os x, and then sell it on ebay. and get an intel NUC instead of a mac mini

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Shaggar posted:

wipe OS and install windows.

osx is a requirement for this enterprise because my wife (a woman) only uses osx

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

osx is a requirement for this enterprise because my wife (a woman) only uses osx
would you say she is, non-technical

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

she sounds awful

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

yeah it's pretty bad

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

will a Dell computer still work if it's been in an inch of standing water?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Silver Alicorn posted:

will a Dell computer still work if it's been in an inch of standing water?
a laptop is a type of computer that will probably not work if it has been submerged in water

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

it's an Optiplex tower thing so only the power supply got wet. I think I will have to replace that part

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Hi everyone

5. mod the case for atx and make it a hackintosh

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Silver Alicorn posted:

it's an Optiplex tower thing so only the power supply got wet. I think I will have to replace that part

comedy option: switch on, find place where magic smoke escapes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

yeah okay so if you ever launch media center it puts in a task scheduler job to wake your computer in the middle of the night to download updated OTA tv schedules even if you don't have a tuner (Michael$$$oft) so you have to go in to task scheduler under Microsoft/Windows/Media Center, find the mcupdate or mcupdate_scheduled job and either edit it so it can't wake your computer or delete it.

same but ironically

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Silver Alicorn posted:

probably it will work with the new psu if it didn't short out and take out some parts when it did, and depending on how long it sat you'd want to check for corrosion on the motherboard and other parts.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
whats the most convenient password app for my Apple iPhone device version 6. idc if it costs money. i want to store my passwords and very very easily enter my passwords or have them automatically entered on various apps

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

obstipator posted:

whats the most convenient password app for my Apple iPhone device version 6. idc if it costs money. i want to store my passwords and very very easily enter my passwords or have them automatically entered on various apps

the integrated keychain

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

CrazyLittle posted:

the unifi line seems to be ubiquiti's attempt to bridge the soho / home market. it's probably robust enough to simple offices up to 30-40 ppl but hooking your internet gateway router config into a cloud/server creates some interesting chicken & egg problems... but then again meraki does the same cloud thing soooooo

meraki has a page that is displayed when you can't reach their dashboard, it lets you log directly into the device itself. we have a mx400, i don't use the filtering on it though.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

obstipator posted:

KeepAss is Very Good but no idea how it is on ios. It's great on Android and Windows and Chrome tho

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Dolomite posted:

meraki has a page that is displayed when you can't reach their dashboard, it lets you log directly into the device itself. we have a mx400, i don't use the filtering on it though.

the unifi usg also has basic connectivity config pages available from the lan side, as well as setting the cloud controller address, but that takes the fun out of mocking cjs who can't be bothered or are not competent enough to figure this out on their own and bought meraki/unifi thinking it would automagically work

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

spankmeister posted:

probably it will work with the new psu if it didn't short out and take out some parts when it did, and depending on how long it sat you'd want to check for corrosion on the motherboard and other parts.

I figured as much but I thought it'd be funny to ask

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

obstipator posted:

i like 1password. its alright, and easy enough to copy passwords out of and paste into an app. they have some library or some poo poo that developers of other apps can interface with 1password that can do something

i dont know. why the gently caress doesn't every thing let me use touchid.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

the new Webm imbedded stuff doesn't seem to want to work on Safari (9.0.1) any tips?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
try using a proper browser

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
in all seriousness though here is some forums generated video embedding

code:
<video autoplay="true" loop="" max="" muted="true" controls="false">
 <source src="https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/1178B1C73D1273184503724683264_4bcde33cfd5.2.1.638865118154479869.mp4?fart=.mp4" type="video/mp4"> 
</video>
which should in theory work with safari according to this page https://developer.apple.com/library/safari/documentation/AudioVideo/Conceptual/Using_HTML5_Audio_Video/Introduction/Introduction.html

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

craisins posted:

i like 1password. its alright, and easy enough to copy passwords out of and paste into an app. they have some library or some poo poo that developers of other apps can interface with 1password that can do something

i dont know. why the gently caress doesn't every thing let me use touchid.

yeah 1password is the way to go

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

DuckConference posted:

yeah 1password is the way to go

I love 1password on my iPhone but I still have whatever the old version is on the desktop, and whatever firefox build a few builds ago stopped accepting the plugin so now I have to copy and paste my passwords into the browser like a cave man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Is this cheap laptop dogshit or OK? Mostly for word processing amd internet browsing, maybe some small games. It's priced at like 500 ausdie bucks because a big tech chain is blowing up.