Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Also lmao, I was using VMware Fusion (connected to my VCSA server) to access the console of my VCSA server. I saw that VMware Fusion had an update and I told it to go ahead and install.

It decided to SUSPEND the active VM that I was looking at, which happened to be my VCSA server. Thanks for that, Fusion.

Looks like I'll need to submit some kind of bug report. If you have a window open to a remotely hosted VM, updating Fusion shouldn't cause it to ask for a VM suspend. That's just silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Martytoof posted:

Is there an issue with VMware's KB site? Every KB I pull up takes me to an error page.

I swear, I only need to consult the VMware site like every other month, but every single time I do I run into some problem. I think I'm just the unluckiest guy.

I randomly have issues with it as well. Working for me currently though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Moey posted:

I randomly have issues with it as well. Working for me currently though.

Does this work for you?

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2130505

If so, any chance you can ctrl-c ctrl-v throw it in a pastebin? Don't really care about formatting, just want to read what it has to say.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Yeah. Maybe this will help.

Edit: Didn't see your pastebin thing until after, let me know if you want any links.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Excellent, thanks. Doesn't work for me so I dunno what they have going on. Much appreciated though!

edit: No, I'm good, just wanted to see whether the FP meant what I thought it did (and the filesize concurs :) )

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
my.vmware.com stopped working in Chrome a few months ago. The KB stopped working in Chrome last week, and I've had better success in FireFox/Edge/Safari since then.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This is Safari, unfortunately :(

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've had real bad luck using Safari to access my.vmware.com or kb.vmware.com stuff for whatever reason, I usually have to switch to Firefox to read anything there on my Macbook.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think we talked about it earlier in the thread, but clear your cookies / temp cache and try again. Amazing to me that VMware's website suffers from this problem, but after my recent support experiences with them it does not really surprise me. They have become the stereotypical awful huge company.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Internet Explorer posted:

I think we talked about it earlier in the thread, but clear your cookies / temp cache and try again. Amazing to me that VMware's website suffers from this problem, but after my recent support experiences with them it does not really surprise me. They have become the stereotypical awful huge company.

Yup, we gotta show better number for wall street so we better hire cheaper support staff!

We actually have a guy joining our core engineering team from Global Support since they were cutting down their numbers, and he saw the writing on the wall. We are hiring cheaper labor overseas, despite it being a bad experience for the customers. :(

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

When Citrix can hot-transfer me to a XenServer engineer for a non-high priority, but VMware makes me jump through a million roboprompts just to open a ticket for call back, something is wrong. Citrix should never be held up as an example of good support. I have had to harass VMware techs for weeks on end for simple answers. Not getting replies back to emails or calls in. Managers not following up. I have actually had multiple inbound reps tell me that our account does not have live support, which is a complete lie. It's a loving disaster. I used to hold VMware as an example of good support, now they are one of my least favorite calls.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The home lab server I bought came in. Turns out it doesn't have e5-2620s. It has 2650s. Four free cores! :woop:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

KillHour posted:

The home lab server I bought came in. Turns out it doesn't have e5-2620s. It has 2650s. Four free cores! :woop:

That is a nice little bump!

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

When Citrix can hot-transfer me to a XenServer engineer for a non-high priority, but VMware makes me jump through a million roboprompts just to open a ticket for call back, something is wrong. Citrix should never be held up as an example of good support. I have had to harass VMware techs for weeks on end for simple answers. Not getting replies back to emails or calls in. Managers not following up. I have actually had multiple inbound reps tell me that our account does not have live support, which is a complete lie. It's a loving disaster. I used to hold VMware as an example of good support, now they are one of my least favorite calls.

I shared this with the guy from GSS that I know. He should be able to pass it along to someone in the org. It probably won't get poo poo done, but I have to try. Maybe if we get enough complaints something will eventually happen.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sweet. If you want ticket numbers or some non-formal feedback send me a PM and I'd be happy to discuss. I generally try to give feedback to vendors but these days it's doesn't do much.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I honestly don't put much stock in any company's support system these days; the support contract is there simply for CYA and passing the buck if things go south.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I know Safari is an unsupported platform for VCSA Web, but after the 6.0U1B upgrade I was getting a "User name and password are required" whenever I put ANYTHING into the login field. I downloaded Chrome and was ready to just start using that for VCSA work in resignation, assuming that VMware finally broke Safari support. Lo and behold, I try it again this morning and it's fine. Legitimately don't get it.

Well, that's what I get for using unsupported software :q:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 14, 2016

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Not really looking to push or upsell anything, but if you can convince the bean counters at your respective companies, you might find yourselves better off with Premier Services lines of support, opposed to Production (especially Basic). Any case can have its hiccups, but I believe the resource shortage is much less of a problem in PS teams. For now, until everyone gets the hint and determines Production is feeling like the new Gold/Basic. :P
Okay, really though, without getting into details, the entitlement is getting the right amount of attention. Whereas production has a lot of offshore people and that's only increasing.

Kachunkachunk fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 14, 2016

Tev
Aug 13, 2008

Kachunkachunk posted:

Not really looking to push or upsell anything, but if you can convince the bean counters at your respective companies, you might find yourselves better off with Premier Services lines of support, opposed to Production (especially Basic). Any case can have its hiccups, but I believe the resource shortage is much less of a problem in PS teams. For now, until everyone gets the hint and determines Production is feeling like the new Gold/Basic. :P
Okay, really though, without getting into details, the entitlement is getting the right amount of attention. Whereas production has a lot of offshore people and that's only increasing.

This right here. Just had a customer move from a role at a company that had Mission Critical Support (highest level VMware offers) to a new role at a company that only has Production support. They were pretty shocked at the differences in response time and "helpfulness". Definitely shouldn't have to pay more to get decent support, but the options are there.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

For a simple 10G copper switch (16-24 port) for the SAN fabric, what should I be looking at price wise?

I'm getting quotes from CDW for about $3500-$4000 per unit. Does this sound relatively normal/average?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
There's nothing simple about storage switching. Some no-frills switches will handle it fine, but others like the SG500 series will poo poo the bed because of small buffers.

What are you buying?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

I swear, I only need to consult the VMware site like every other month, but every single time I do I run into some problem. I think I'm just the unluckiest guy.

No, their website is just garbage.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So I finally have my 5820K showboat up and running. Curiously, the VGA passthrough bullshit was pretty uneventful. It immediately worked. Getting QEMU/kvm to not be a silly quirky bitch took way more effort. Currently posting from my virtual machine with 8 VPs and a Geforce GTX 780, that boots from an iSCSI+bcache volume. :woop:

Now I just need to write a bunch of scripts to have the guest to ssh into the host and tell it what to do when the guest reboots or shuts down.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe

stubblyhead posted:

No, their website is just garbage.

Yup. I use the Wayback Machine to view page snapshots when I know the exact KB I'm looking for.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It's really impressive how loving poo poo most manufacturers/developers' websites are. HP? Symantec? VMWare? Microsoft? Get your loving poo poo together.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

KS posted:

There's nothing simple about storage switching. Some no-frills switches will handle it fine, but others like the SG500 series will poo poo the bed because of small buffers.

What are you buying?

CDW's "Networking professionals" recommended these: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/switches/sg550xg-24t-24-port-10gbase-t-stackable-switch/model.html or these:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/switches/sg550xg-24f-24-port-ten-gigabit-switch/model.html depending on if we go copper or sfp+

Keep in mind this is a Nimble CS300 with two hosts.

I was also looking at Dell N4000 series but they're a couple grand more for each unit.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

Tev posted:

This right here. Just had a customer move from a role at a company that had Mission Critical Support (highest level VMware offers) to a new role at a company that only has Production support. They were pretty shocked at the differences in response time and "helpfulness". Definitely shouldn't have to pay more to get decent support, but the options are there.
Oof, yeah, MCS is pricey. BCS and MCS have a pretty comparable pool of skill and experience, by the way. :ssh:

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

kiwid posted:

CDW's "Networking professionals" recommended these: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/switches/sg550xg-24t-24-port-10gbase-t-stackable-switch/model.html or these:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/switches/sg550xg-24f-24-port-ten-gigabit-switch/model.html depending on if we go copper or sfp+

I was also looking at Dell N4000 series but they're a couple grand more for each unit.
For those prices, you should look at nexus 3k.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

kiwid posted:

If you see SG in the name, you're looking at a Linksys switch. In my experience run far, far away, but that's mostly been in access switches. Like adorai mentioned I'd give a long look at Nexus 3k. I'm not a fan of anything less than a 4500/4900 for iSCSI on the Catalyst side of things, the buffers just aren't there for the burstiness of the traffic in the 3560/3750 platform, but that's not an issue on Nexus due to cut-through switching if all your ports are 10G.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nexus 3524x is the cheapest 10g option from Cisco that I'd recommend for storage traffic.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

NippleFloss posted:

Nexus 3524x is the cheapest 10g option from Cisco that I'd recommend for storage traffic.

What about non-cisco?

We're cheap as gently caress so really I'm looking for the cheapest thing that will work well.

edit: Our CDW rep is advising against the Cisco SG switches as well now after our latest conversation. He agrees the Cisco Nexus is the way to go. Also getting them to look into the Dell N4032F.

My boss is going to poo poo her pants when she sees me coming back with $7000/switch quotes though.

kiwid fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 15, 2016

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Is the vCenter Update Manager licensing included as a part of the vSphere Enterprise Plus license or is it considered a separate product with its own licensing requirements?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

sudo rm -rf posted:

Is the vCenter Update Manager licensing included as a part of the vSphere Enterprise Plus license or is it considered a separate product with its own licensing requirements?

VUM is included with vCenter licensing

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Sweet. If you want ticket numbers or some non-formal feedback send me a PM and I'd be happy to discuss. I generally try to give feedback to vendors but these days it's doesn't do much.

Sent you a PM, I got your post to a manager that seems to be interested in taking it to the right people.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

NippleFloss posted:

What the...

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

:stare: :stare: :stare:

Best part is that its hundreds of dollars more than CDW. Can you get a 3 pack at Sam's Club?

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
I'm going to ask my CDW rep how much he can beat Wally World by on a Nexus.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Richard Noggin posted:

I'm going to ask my CDW rep how much he can beat Wally World by on a Nexus.

CDW is great because they will lose money on a sale if it means closing. CDW is terrible in all other ways.

Source: I used to support CDW reps. If you ever called them and they said "I'm going to get my engineer on the phone," that was probably me or someone I worked with (I didn't work at CDW). My favorite is when they brought their customer on the line and said "I have my Cisco engineer on the line," when I didn't even handle Cisco products. :suicide:

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

KillHour posted:

CDW is great because they will lose money on a sale if it means closing. CDW is terrible in all other ways.

Source: I used to support CDW reps. If you ever called them and they said "I'm going to get my engineer on the phone," that was probably me or someone I worked with (I didn't work at CDW). My favorite is when they brought their customer on the line and said "I have my Cisco engineer on the line," when I didn't even handle Cisco products. :suicide:

Heh, I've been doing less and less with CDW because they're barely discounting off the site prices from the get-go. I told my rep that I'm happy to give them the business consistently if they don't yank my chain on pricing, but SHI (who we've been a customer of for less than 2 months) has beaten CDW soundly every time I've had to get competitive quotes. I know that they have margins and all, but at least make an effort to be competitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Richard Noggin posted:

Heh, I've been doing less and less with CDW because they're barely discounting off the site prices from the get-go. I told my rep that I'm happy to give them the business consistently if they don't yank my chain on pricing, but SHI (who we've been a customer of for less than 2 months) has beaten CDW soundly every time I've had to get competitive quotes. I know that they have margins and all, but at least make an effort to be competitive.

Fun fact: SHI's "engineers" are the same people as CDW's "engineers."

Also: Tiger Direct, Insight, Best Buy for Business, and a bunch of others.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 15, 2016