Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

BULBASAUR posted:

The next book is supposed to have rules for exactly that- 'shattered legions' in 30k sperg. You can take squads from different legions which depending on how they implement things could be really broken

Oh man, I am so pumped.

I mean... not that I can afford to buy those horrifically expensive tomes... but my local GW has copies because 30k is super popular down here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Do Skitarii exist in 30k Hamtime? I'd really like to get some Mechanicum allies for my DG, and I like their models a lot more than the other FW Mechanicum stuff. Thallax are ok, but I feel like the rest are kinda silly.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DrPop posted:

Do Skitarii exist in 30k Hamtime? I'd really like to get some Mechanicum allies for my DG, and I like their models a lot more than the other FW Mechanicum stuff. Thallax are ok, but I feel like the rest are kinda silly.

1 to 1 no.

But all the Skitarii models have good analogues in 30k that can be used for proxy, so go for it!
In particular I think the GW Rangers >>>>> FW Tech-Thralls, both in looks and costs. The whole range is really compatible, except for the walkers and priests.

BULBASAUR posted:

Stealing other legions units and making them better is also a good one:

Infiltrating Pyroclasts
Outflanking Invictarus Suzerains
Seige Tyrants with free Tank Hunter

Not to mention you can also give sergeants in these units extra attacks in close combat thanks to the power knives

AL Pyroclasts are cool, but for anyone considering it do keep in mind that they get hit by a small effectiveness nerf since they lose the benefits of the Salamander legion. If I remember that makes their flamers go down to S3.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Mango Polo posted:

1 to 1 no.

But all the Skitarii models have good analogues in 30k that can be used for proxy, so go for it!
In particular I think the GW Rangers >>>>> FW Tech-Thralls, both in looks and costs. The whole range is really compatible, except for the walkers and priests.

Cool. I just need. Everything. To have. A rebreather.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DrPop posted:

Cool. I just need. Everything. To have. A rebreather.

Go nuts!

Off the top of my head if you want some quick ideas to look up,
Kastelan = Castellax
Kataphrons = Myrmidons (Secutors and/or Destroyers)
Rangers/Vanguards = Tech-Thralls
Datasmith, Dominus = Dominus, Prime, Archmagos.
Techpriest = .... Techpriest.

if you like Thallax then perfect, because there's nothing quite like them. Same with the Scyllax (gribbly not-robbits), Thanatar of all three flavors (big! robbit), the tanks themselves (choo choo steampunk trains). I think that's about it.

From the 40k side, that leaves the Rustwhatevers, Dragoons, Manpile Dudecrawler and electro-priests without any good proxies.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Mango Polo posted:

1 to 1 no.

AL Pyroclasts are cool, but for anyone considering it do keep in mind that they get hit by a small effectiveness nerf since they lose the benefits of the Salamander legion. If I remember that makes their flamers go down to S3.

Pyroclast flamers are S5AP5 with the +1 S Salamanders buff, so Alpha Legion-yoinked pyroclasts have S4AP5 flamers.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

DrPop posted:

Skitarii exist fluff-wise. You might want to run them as an allied detachment of Solar Auxilia or Imperialis Militia Grenadiers.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I keep hearing that they are going to port over the Skitarii manpiles (because common, who doesn't want more piles of men) but my gut feeling is that its just wish listing and not based on anything

Endman posted:

Oh man, I am so pumped.

I mean... not that I can afford to buy those horrifically expensive tomes... but my local GW has copies because 30k is super popular down here.

They'll have their own red book eventually and those cost less than a codex. The tomes are expensive, I agree, but are way way higher quality than something from GW proper. If you want to budget hammer just :filez: and then get the red book when it comes out/gets updated.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

I keep hearing that they are going to port over the Skitarii manpiles (because common, who doesn't want more piles of men) but my gut feeling is that its just wish listing and not based on anything

At one point at a weekender in late 2014 Forge World explicitly said that they weren't going to do 30k Skitarii because they wanted to leave that design space open to 40k and GW Prime, but this was before 40k Skitarii were announced so it may have just been a smokescreen.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
God help me I love the idea of waves of muscly men in Mk III plate moving 6" a turn

quote:

+++ Death Guard 3000 (3000pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (3000pts) ++

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [XIV: Death Guard]

+ HQ (727pts) +

Legion Praetor (187pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Digital Lasers, Paragon Blade, Rad Grenades, Volkite Charger]
····Master of the Legion [The Reaping]

Legion Centurion (115pts) [Artificer Armour, Refractor Field]
····Consul [Master of Signal]

Deathshroud Terminator Squad (425pts) [4x Deathshroud Terminators]
····Land Raider Phobos [Dozer Blade]

+ Troops (1118pts) +

Legion Heavy Support Squad (160pts) [Legion Sergeant, 4x Legion Space Marines, Missile Launchers]

Legion Tactical Squad (314pts) [16x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Nuncio-Vox, Take an additional Chainsword or Combat Blade]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Fist, Rad Grenades]

Legion Tactical Squad (314pts) [16x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Nuncio-Vox, Take an additional Chainsword or Combat Blade]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Fist, Rad Grenades]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (330pts) [9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Melta Bombs, 2x Missile Launcher and Suspensor Web, Nuncio-Vox, Outflank]
····Legion Veteran Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Power Fist, Rad Grenades]

+ Elites (260pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (140pts)
····Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner, Power Sword]

Legion Rapier Weapons Battery (120pts)
····Legion Rapier Weapons Battery [Quad Mortar ('Thud Gun')]

+ Heavy Support (895pts) +

Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought (220pts) [Aiolos Missile Launcher, Twin-linked Heavy Flamer]

Grave Warden Terminator Squad (520pts) [2x Chainfist, 4x Grave Warden Terminator]
····Chem-master [Rad Grenades]
····Legion Spartan Assault Tank [Dozer Blade]

Legion Artillery Tank Squadron (155pts) [Legion Medusa]

halp

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 13, 2016

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

My only thought is that when you're spending 64 points on additional hand weapons, not being allowed to run sort of sucks. Also, I think artificer armor would be a better buy for your Apothecaries than power swords.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Who doesn't like piles of muscular dudes fighting long hard battles?

For your vet squad, I think melta guns and melta bombs are a better option than the missile launchers. I would also drop all your Nuncio-Voxes and pimp that heavy support squad with lascannons. They are already going to have BS5 and you'll find their high strength high volume shooting very helpful. Give them interceptor for extra fun. You could also drop one of the tactical squads and bring another heavy support squad for extra fun times.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Sulecrist posted:

My only thought is that when you're spending 64 points on additional hand weapons, not being allowed to run sort of sucks. Also, I think artificer armor would be a better buy for your Apothecaries than power swords.

Yeah, I'm kinda 50/50 on the extra weapons. I decided to take them at first because quantity has a quality all of its own, and swamping elite units with bodies and dice (with rad grenades) is a very DG thing to do. The Apothecaries have both AA and power weapons which should complement the AA + power fist sergeants. But then again if I never make it into assault its all a waste of points.

BULBASAUR posted:

Who doesn't like piles of muscular dudes fighting long hard battles?

For your vet squad, I think melta guns and melta bombs are a better option than the missile launchers. I would also drop all your Nuncio-Voxes and pimp that heavy support squad with lascannons. They are already going to have BS5 and you'll find their high strength high volume shooting very helpful. Give them interceptor for extra fun. You could also drop one of the tactical squads and bring another heavy support squad for extra fun times.

Reaping Veterans and Heavy Support squads are non-compulsory so I need the two Tacticals :( The voxes are there to help make the thudd guns and the Medusa a bit more accurate. The Master of Signal was going to ride with the Heavy squad and his Cognis-Signum already gives him an Augury. Dropping the extra CCWs lets me bump the missile launchers up to lascannons. Hmmm.

e: I just realised with the FAQ changes attaching a Cataphracti-armoured character to Death Shroud don't stop them from being able to overwatch any more. Awesome.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 14, 2016

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
If you're foot slogging you won't regret having those extra CCWs and the power weapon on the apothecary. It doesn't seem like much, but in practice it can give you the edge in the ubiquitous 30k mirror matches. You really need some anti tank to snipe primarchs and AV15 walls- that lascannon squad will do nice. Don't forget that the sarge gets his own rocket/missile so you'll have 5 instead of 4.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Tabards AND scale Cloaks for my Salamanders tacticals I posted earlier, or just tabards...?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Should I be using the Emperor's Children Rite of War to get the most out of footslogging marines, or should I shove them into rhinos regardless of the bonus to running?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Always use your legion RoW.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Someone posted a preview of the upcoming legions but I can't find it. I just want to take another look at the leaked Blood Angels if someone could find it.

Endman
May 18, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

I will be, I just wonder if they'll be effective on foot with the bonus or if they'll get torn up before they close.

Also Volkite weapons look drat cool. It's a shame Tac Support can't be taken as compulsory troops.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The EC ROW is really strong as it lets you outflank 3 units of your choice on a turn you choose in the order you want. In a game where most of your oponnents will have very predictable armies that plod their way slowly towards you, this gives you an edge. One combo I always talk about- lightning, seeker squad, veteran squad. Lightning comes in and blows up a spartan with krakens. Seekers roll up, mark the contents for death, and fire x10 rapid fire BS5 plasma bolts with re-rolls to 1s. The veterans show up with ~4 power weapons and some melta guns to mop up anything alive and then claim an objective.

EC are a glass hammer legion, so build around that strength while bringing some core units that can give you staying power. You want to be in melee since you have an edge there, but if you don't make the charge it will hurt you.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Endman posted:

I will be, I just wonder if they'll be effective on foot with the bonus or if they'll get torn up before they close.

Also Volkite weapons look drat cool. It's a shame Tac Support can't be taken as compulsory troops.

There is no reason not to take apoth with bigger units of tacs. It fits EC fluff as well! The outflank really helps gets you stuck in as you can set up a lot of anti-tank shooting into the sides of vehicles.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Not if you are playing Iron Warriors, or Sons of Horus potentially.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Recoome posted:

People of the thread. This is the post of a man who is wrong. Take heed, yest ye be wrong.

Embrace the fluff and ALWAYS take your legion RoW. (Unless you are playing like 2k RG. Then PotL is p. good.)

Endman
May 18, 2010

LordAba posted:

There is no reason not to take apoth with bigger units of tacs. It fits EC fluff as well! The outflank really helps gets you stuck in as you can set up a lot of anti-tank shooting into the sides of vehicles.

A couple of big Tac blobs + Apothecary seems like a solid choice for my compulsories.

BULBASAUR posted:

The EC ROW is really strong as it lets you outflank 3 units of your choice on a turn you choose in the order you want. In a game where most of your oponnents will have very predictable armies that plod their way slowly towards you, this gives you an edge. One combo I always talk about- lightning, seeker squad, veteran squad. Lightning comes in and blows up a spartan with krakens. Seekers roll up, mark the contents for death, and fire x10 rapid fire BS5 plasma bolts with re-rolls to 1s. The veterans show up with ~4 power weapons and some melta guns to mop up anything alive and then claim an objective.

EC are a glass hammer legion, so build around that strength while bringing some core units that can give you staying power. You want to be in melee since you have an edge there, but if you don't make the charge it will hurt you.

I've been looking for an excuse to buy a Lightning sometime in the future, because it's such a rad looking model. Looks like this is what I've been looking for!

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Recoome posted:

The Black Reaving isn't bad, it's just that Maloghurst is like the best character in the game and provides basically the same benefits. Yeah Rage for charging into existing combats could be cool but Sons of Horus is already really good at CC.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

DJ Dizzy posted:

Embrace the fluff and ALWAYS take your legion RoW.

Ask BULBASAUR why he refuses to take IW RoW

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hixson posted:

Ask BULBASAUR why he refuses to take IW RoW

Because he plays his Iron Warriors as Iron Hands?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

DJ Dizzy posted:

People of the thread. This is the post of a man who is wrong. Take heed, yest ye be wrong.

Embrace the fluff and ALWAYS take your legion RoW. (Unless you are playing like 2k RG. Then PotL is p. good.)

Lol get a load of this guy

The current IW RoW, "Hammer of Olympia", is weird because it requires an extra troops choice and either a Warsmith or a Siegebreaker, and you get disordered charge after a rapid fire (so it is only for Tac squads with Bolters), Extra Armour (lol) and an extra HS slot (take allies). The question is: what does it actually do? I love Iron Warriors (it's the legion I've always had) but the problem with the RoW is that I don't really see what the RoW is trying to do. Conversly, the Emperor's Children and the Son's of Horus' RoW both have very clear focuses (although I'd argue that the Iron Warriors have solid Legion rules, whereas the EC are a bit more fickle).

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Please lord, give our legion +1 WS against stationary vehicles in the update

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Don't worry, I'm sure when the Dark Angels finally get rules they'll be more mediocre than even the Iron Warriors.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I just read the rules for Leviathans :swoon:

quote:

+++ Death Guard 3000 (3000pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (3000pts) ++

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [XIV: Death Guard]

+ HQ (462pts) +

Legion Praetor (187pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Digital Lasers, Paragon Blade, Rad Grenades, Volkite Charger]
····Master of the Legion [The Reaping]

Deathshroud Terminator Squad (170pts) [4x Deathshroud Terminators]

Legion Centurion (105pts) [Artificer Armour]
····Consul [Master of Signal]

+ Troops (1323pts) +

Legion Heavy Support Squad (235pts) [Lascannons, Legion Sergeant, 4x Legion Space Marines]

Legion Heavy Support Squad (190pts) [4x Legion Space Marines, Volkite Culverin]
····Legion Sergeant [Augury Scanner]

Legion Tactical Squad (299pts) [16x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Take an additional Chainsword or Combat Blade]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Power Fist, Rad Grenades]

Legion Tactical Squad (299pts) [16x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Take an additional Chainsword or Combat Blade]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Power Fist, Rad Grenades]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (300pts) [9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Melta Bombs, 2x Melta Gun, Outflank]
····Legion Veteran Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Power Fist, Rad Grenades]

+ Elites (350pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (140pts)

Legion Rapier Weapons Battery (60pts)

Legion Rapier Weapons Battery (150pts)
····Legion Rapier Weapons Battery [Graviton Cannon]
····Legion Rapier Weapons Battery [Graviton Cannon]

+ Heavy Support (865pts) +

Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought (220pts) [Aiolos Missile Launcher, Twin-linked Heavy Flamer]

Legion Spartan Assault Tank (340pts) [Armoured Ceramite, Flare Shield]

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought Talon (305pts)
····Leviathan Siege Dreadnought [Grav-flux Bombard, Phosphex Discharger]

I love that there are so many goddamned ways you can put 30K lists together and and never feel like you're gimping yourself for pursuing an idea*.

*except Iron Warriors

e: Just for you Bulba:

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 15, 2016

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Almost done with this guy. May add some weathering and a little cleanup. I think I went too dark on the blue inking, so he turned out a bit less metallic than the marines I've played with. On the flip side, I was able to get my glaze technique a bit more even. Keeps improving.

I need to come up with a name so my wife can do the fine character work on the nameplate.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Alpharius.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

Safety Factor posted:

Don't worry, I'm sure when the Dark Angels finally get rules they'll be more mediocre than even the Iron Warriors.

you shut your whore mouth!...............................Preferred enemy monstrous creatures right of war, calling it now.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
I've had fun with 10 man tactical vets with sniper and two HB each rolling around in rhinos being assholes with HoOlympia, its expensive and not good but double tapping sniper bolters and charging with 3 attacks because pistol/ccw is entertaining.
I'll also use it for 5 HS slots with onslaught.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Killer_Bees! posted:

you shut your whore mouth!...............................Preferred enemy monstrous creatures right of war, calling it now.

I speak from experience, friend. :smith:

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

Killer_Bees! posted:

Leaked Dark Angels legion rules.
Schismatic Indignation
All models with Legion Astartes (Dark Angels) special rule gain +3 to WS when in assault with enemy models with the Legion Astartes (Dark Angels) special rule.

Poignant determination
All units with the Legion Astartes (Dark Angels) special rule may re-roll failed pinning tests when falling back.

Peritus Plumbum
All units with the Legion Astartes (Dark Angels) special rule may re-roll 1s when using Rotor Cannons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Needs more ForgeWorld writing:

Slay the Beast

All units with the Legion Astartes (Dark Angels) special rule may re-roll Murderous Strike attempts against Gargantuan Creatures.