Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Veryslightlymad posted:

TEW is frustrating and I am bad at menu games.

How do you actually build momentum in this game? You'd think it would involve winning matches, but no, no, not really.
The truth is that TEW, much like the universe itself, is destined to see the death of all heat. In nearly every scenario where booking has no greater context, momentum is a zero sum game that is nonetheless subject to a small amount of waste with every exchange - that is to say, putting guy X over guy Y will usually (but not always) see X gain less than Y lost. The farther apart the workers are in the stats that matter (popularity for a WWE-type fed, skill for a PWG-type fed) the greater the loss. Over time you'll see a flattening of the momentum curve on your roster.

For a popularity-based fed, your saving grace is the storyline system. Given how granular and unwieldy the game is in general, it's pretty remarkable that the system's judgment of what constitutes good or bad booking is pretty loving sound. Book WWE-style feuds in which wins are constantly being traded, and nobody benefits at the end of them. Book a traditional one-sided feud (say, a month-long doomed title challenge) and the guy who wins will gain, while the guy who loses will.. lose.

Where it gets clever is in the ways you can juke the system. There are two ways of doing this - one is to run promos in the old territorial style, in which both guys in a feud are put over in a segment. Take this classic Mid South promo from Nick Bockwinkel (promo starts at 2:45)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL3LJMQmKpA
Bockwinkel challenges Jerry Lawler and asserts being the better wrestler but only after extensively selling the rear end-kicking he took from the face. That's the sort of thing that. in TEW, would probably be characterized as an angle in which Lawler (offscreen) experiences "minor success" while Bockwinkel would either remain neutral or get his own "minor success" result, depending on whether you think it makes him look good / helps as a draw. If you stock your show with these and keep your feuding guys separate on the card, they will both come out looking good when you blow it off.

Modern promos typically fall along the lines of "I rule and you suck", which is why the default promo choices typically have a winner and loser. If you think booking promos that put over both guys is bending the rules too much or just wouldn't work for the story, you can still strategically employ the standard template in a way that will help cushion the blow that the loser in your feud takes - remember that winning or losing matches are always weighted far more heavily than angles in a feud when it comes to how heat is distributed afterward.

Anyway, the second method for fudging storyline scoring is to keep your guys separate on the card and pair them against jobbers who have been added to the storyline with "minor roles". This way, the feuding workers are recognized by the system as having had matches pertaining to the feud even as they haven't faced each other, and their credibility will build. The jobbers will receive a minor hit to momentum when you cut them from the storyline but it's all gravy for the pushed workers.

The jobber method feels less like a cheat insofar as (a) it's pretty basic feud booking to have your workers look strong going into their match and (b) there are a lot of in-storyline justifications you could use. The easiest is to give a pushed worker a stable of jobbers under him, NWO-style, that his opponent can plow through the lead up to the PPV. You could also simply have their opponent hire or smooth talk an alignment-appropriate jobber to get in his way. You could align the heel with an authority figure who will try to stack the odds, etc. The world is yours!

If you use these two techniques, heat death for your favored workers won't be a problem. An exceptionally well-booked feud has no losers and will catapult a do-nothing Sandow schlub to super hot A* momentum at the end.

As for how to get someone over in a performance-based fed whose fans hate that gay "story" poo poo and just want to see some dudes take neck bumps, I have no answers, but I would imagine that the key there would be matching opponents by style and chemistry and letting the rest take care of itself.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
DiabloX is the absolute most hilariously stupid TEW mod I have ever played. That "discipline Pinhead for unleashing a hell-fart on the locker room" thing is probably the height of my experience with it but lord alfuckingmighty this mod comes up with some nonsense.

e: for example, in the game I'm currently running, Asterix the Gaul just signed with the Street Fighter promotion.

e2: Freddy Krueger won't work a light tube match. :psyduck:

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 14, 2016

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Yeah. TEW practically expects you to game the system.

My go-to angle was designed thusly.

Subject (The Person cutting the promo): Minor Success (you can up thus to major if you wish, but it's not really necessary), Entertainment, On-Screen (obviously)
Topic: (the guy your person is feuding with): None (you could up this too if you really felt cheaty, but on the overall, don't), Not Rated (you can also use Overness), Off Screen (obviously)
Interviewer: (Having somebody actually conduct the interview is actually valuable in TEW. If your interviewer is popular it will up the rating of the segment and the subject, if he's skilled it increases the chance of subject gaining skill)Major Success (Because your interviewer having low momentum will hurt a segment, and they usually can't have feuds of their own so they have to get momentum somewhere). Entertainment, On-Screen.

Give your interviewers minor roles in every feud you create.

Make a version of this with two subjects (for interviewers where you want your manager to take an active role).
Then make a version with two subjects and two Topics (for tag teams, technically not necessary but it will feel less game-y).
Then maybe a version with 3 subjects and two Topics (for Tag Teams + Managers).
And finally a version without the interviewers (Usually used on your main eventers who are more popular/have higher entertainment skills than your interviewers when you just want a high segment rating. Otherwise just use the first version, so your interviewers can gain skill/popularity from your main eventer).

Once you figure out that the game expects you to have a triage ward of perpetually non-over jobbers the rest falls into place, mostly.

Not to say my knowledge of the game is absolute or anything.
I'm in January 2000 with the 96 WWF Mod (more or less the same one we use in the thread) and I still can't get the WWF over cult despite having a stupidly talented roster. (All of WWF's good main eventers of the time + Eddy, Regal, Benoit, Rey, and Jericho, among others). partially this is because of the importance system, which is stupid. i got a really low roll and as a consequence the 8th most popular region in the US is at 83%, which means I have to get My popularity over 78, which means putting on shows consistently above 83, with one bad main event dropping me back into Cult, which has happened to me twice.

And JR died on me. I'm thinking about turfing this game and waiting to see if TEW2016 has a less arbitrary growth mechanic.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
How the gently caress is a xenomorph able to communicate its unwillingness to work a barbed wire match, exactly

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'm sure it's fluent in english.

Also; the funny thing is that the 'world's stinkiest fart' thing is actually part of the base game. I had X-Pac drop 4 of them inside of 3 months. I finally dealt with it with it with the 'fatherly approach' which I imagined involved sitting him down and giving him a year's supply of beano.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ChrisBTY posted:

I'm sure it's fluent in english.

Also; the funny thing is that the 'world's stinkiest fart' thing is actually part of the base game. I had X-Pac drop 4 of them inside of 3 months. I finally dealt with it with it with the 'fatherly approach' which I imagined involved sitting him down and giving him a year's supply of beano.

I know it's part of the base game, it's happened with people in my 1996 game, but Pinhead, from Hellraiser, of "WE WILL TEAR YOUR SOUL APART" fame doing it is the funniest poo poo I've ever seen.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

LORD OF BUTT posted:

DiabloX is the absolute most hilariously stupid TEW mod I have ever played. That "discipline Pinhead for unleashing a hell-fart on the locker room" thing is probably the height of my experience with it but lord alfuckingmighty this mod comes up with some nonsense.

e: for example, in the game I'm currently running, Asterix the Gaul just signed with the Street Fighter promotion.

e2: Freddy Krueger won't work a light tube match. :psyduck:

Freddy is too conservative.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Testekill posted:

Freddy is too conservative.

Yeah, I figured that out from poking at it in the editor. Still hilariously bizarre. I would have pegged Freddy as one of the ones who's okay with working a light tube match, given that he's basically made of ground beef already.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Honestly, one of my favorite parts of Supercard is coming up with goofy tag team names for the ad hoc teams that I put together for KotR teams. Right now I'm swapping out Mark Henry and adding King Barrett to a team with Jack Swagger, so I'm going from America's Strongest Americans to Fox News Barrett

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

so i got the digital deluxe verstion of 2k16 downloaded on my ps4 and its only letting me do 1 on 1 matches with only like 6 guys, what the gently caress

e: when i launch the game and press x on the title screen i get a blank ATTENTION box

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

after bringing myself to google it, turns out that the game isnt done downloading yet. that's pretty dumb.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

A lot of PS4 games allow you to play a limited version of the game while downloading. It's an interesting idea, but one that really doesn't matter all that much except on literally the first day you own the system when you are all pumped about playing your shiny new PS4 and don't have any games installed.

WWE 2K16, I have reached the point in this game I always reach in this series, where I never lose to the computer on even the highest difficulty. My timing for kicking out is on, my reversal timing is near perfect, and even before they modified the submission system I got it so well I could routinely tap out guys with a yellow health bar. This always happens with these games and it is all down to basing everything around a timing system. Reversals being limited certainly helps the game, and the AI is way better, so I cant complain too much as compared to recent games in the series, but there is still a lot to complain about.

I still can't hit a running clothesline off of an irish whip. Diving moves are still badly animated. Limited finisher slots make for issues with wrestlers who do a lot of different variations on their move. DDP for instance could do to have like 4 or 5 slots to fit all the cutter variations that are in the game. Lastly, CAW has a lot of irritating glitches. My Asuka has irremovable yellow green splotches all over her body. After using a picture for my characters face, the color keeps resetting after changing skin color.

I like the game play in this one so much better than recent years, but it is such a frustrating setup to deal with when using creation tools that I cant stand to play it for very long. They are going to have to start over again at some point, they cant keep building off of this PlayStation 1 series. I wish they would get on with doing so already.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 15, 2016

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

this poo poo is still downloading what the gently caress i could have gone to the moon already

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Have you ever downloaded a retail PS4 game before

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Yeah, I figured that out from poking at it in the editor. Still hilariously bizarre. I would have pegged Freddy as one of the ones who's okay with working a light tube match, given that he's basically made of ground beef already.

Exactly dude. He'd get mercury poisoning. :ohdear:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

Have you ever downloaded a retail PS4 game before

no.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Before the latest 2k16 patch, I could lift grounded opponents and get them into standing groggy states by pressing Up+A on my Xbone. Now, it does grounded grapples instead. Is there another way to reposition grounded opponents? I know about dragging people around after getting them in a front facelock, but the Up+A thing always seemed like the most convenient way to chain suplexes together, and why else would I play this game

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Jenny Angel posted:

Before the latest 2k16 patch, I could lift grounded opponents and get them into standing groggy states by pressing Up+A on my Xbone. Now, it does grounded grapples instead. Is there another way to reposition grounded opponents? I know about dragging people around after getting them in a front facelock, but the Up+A thing always seemed like the most convenient way to chain suplexes together, and why else would I play this game

Press up on the right analog stick. That raises them to a standing groggy state.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Ah, so it's pressing A that's causing me to gently caress it up? That makes sense, since I stumbled onto this input accidentally and was probably doing it in a way that worked differently before they fixed some input sensitivity stuff in the latest patch.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Jenny Angel posted:

Ah, so it's pressing A that's causing me to gently caress it up? That makes sense, since I stumbled onto this input accidentally and was probably doing it in a way that worked differently before they fixed some input sensitivity stuff in the latest patch.

Yeah A will initiate a ground grapple. The right stick is used for all sorts of positioning stuff. Raising up a grounded guy, snapmare for a rest hold, raising to the top turnbuckle, turning a dude around for back grapples, etc.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I'm looking for a good mid-1980s mod for TEW, what do you fine folks recommend?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Armitage posted:

I'm looking for a good mid-1980s mod for TEW, what do you fine folks recommend?

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=522269

That one is pretty good. It starts in 83 so more promotions have a chance

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=523224

This one is 87 and is also pretty good.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I finally picked up WWE 2K16 and myCareer is kinda cool. One thing I don't really understand yet is how all the reputations/allegiances work. I was having a match with Fandango when Tyler Breeze interrupted my intro. I fought him off and the match never happened, but for some reason that whole process made Finn Balor lose four bars of respect for me. Also how do I turn heel. I pick all the aggressive options and use weapons and such, but I'm still an Bold Face. Do I just have to wait to be able to turn?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Does sandbagging still work at all in Supercard? It seems like it doesn't during exhibition matches, as if I have a sandbagged wrestler or two, my opponents tend to be higher tier than if I was using all even-strength wrestlers. But does it work in KotR? If I sandbag and have a squad at the very bottom edge of Epic tier, will I be matched against folks somewhat higher in the Epic tier?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

I finally picked up WWE 2K16 and myCareer is kinda cool. One thing I don't really understand yet is how all the reputations/allegiances work. I was having a match with Fandango when Tyler Breeze interrupted my intro. I fought him off and the match never happened, but for some reason that whole process made Finn Balor lose four bars of respect for me. Also how do I turn heel. I pick all the aggressive options and use weapons and such, but I'm still an Bold Face. Do I just have to wait to be able to turn?

Turning is finicky. I think you have to be between feuds, maybe?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yeah I eventually got it by losing all my matches because I hit everybody with a hammer, giving aggressive responses, then finishing my feud with Breeze, running in on Itami and beating him with a hammer. After my post hammering promo, I both turned and began a rivalry with Itami. Also I hired Evil Emma as my manager, and then I lost a Superstars match (hit Baron Corbin with a hammer) and now I have two red bars of heat with Emma. I hope she doesn't hit me with a hammer.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Jenny Angel posted:

Does sandbagging still work at all in Supercard? It seems like it doesn't during exhibition matches, as if I have a sandbagged wrestler or two, my opponents tend to be higher tier than if I was using all even-strength wrestlers. But does it work in KotR? If I sandbag and have a squad at the very bottom edge of Epic tier, will I be matched against folks somewhat higher in the Epic tier?

Sandbagging in kotr works if you're going one tier below where you "should" be. Like my cards would put me in the bottom of Legend tier and I would get slaughtered, like not even able to qualify. I made one of my tag-teams commons (biggest effect in terms of lowering your point total while only throwing one match) and then I was able to stomp out Epic kotr like crazy. I did this a couple of times until I was able to upgrade my "real" kotr deck with more epic pairs and now I actually have a fighting chance in Legendy kotr.

I am not sure if sandbagging works at all like you asked for the purposes of kotr, but I am leaning towards either "no" or "not enough to matter."

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
according to this TEW mod, New Jack is a positive influence backstage

something doesn't look right here

e: Nick Gage, I have seen you do deathmatches before, do not bullshit me and tell me you have moral issues with them

e2: I am getting the feeling that hardcore promotions are kind of the redheaded stepchild of TEW modders. the only indie guy, period who's a Psychopath is New Jack, which makes no sense given that I have Nick Gage and Necro Butcher staring me right in the face.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 17, 2016

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
New team event in supercard tomorrow. Get ready goon squad.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
We have space in LLJK for one (maybe 2) more.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You get Iron Mike for preordering EA UFC 2 as the "mystery fighter"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGG2pVU0znI

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Bas, Sakuraba, and Tyson? That's a good preorder bonus.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

AlmightyPants posted:

We have space in LLJK for one (maybe 2) more.

Up for this, sent an invite. Name is the same as my username here.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Looks like you get 2 or 3 different Tysons instead of just one which is rad. I think I'm totally gonna preorder this.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Does he have his Mike Tyson Mysteries jumpsuit as an entrance attire?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Testekill posted:

Does he have his Mike Tyson Mysteries jumpsuit as an entrance a ring attire?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I really hope EA UFC 2 is good, I sold my 360 so I don't have any good MMA games anymore.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I'm interested to see what the completely redesigned again Dynamic Grappling system looks like. Also to beat up Jon Jones as Iron Mike Tyson.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
This may be a stupid question, but does anyone know if the new TEW is going to be Mac-compatible?

Also, how the hell do you do the Million Dollar Dream on the Rock in the Showcase mode? I can't seem to find anything about it. thanks in advance. And my Xbox One gamertag is PopeCorkytheIX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

This may be a stupid question, but does anyone know if the new TEW is going to be Mac-compatible?
It'll be written in .net again so no